Winter's Feast and Wolfgang's Character Refresh Are Now Live!

1 minute ago, DajeKotlyar said:

It's because moonstorm event

I did the moonstone event 4 days ago; in fact, I was doing the twins for the adornments for 3 nights straight before the moon penguins spawn, and this other herd spawned normally on the same day.

image.thumb.png.9855d46e61e20a5f25d5492e73b7ecb8.png

Not sure what triggered it, I'll keep me eyes open in case it happens again.

Well. This character rework happened.

Ok. "Let's go!"

So...

Lemme tell ye a story. Buckle up, buckaroo, this is gonna be a "wall of text" one without le TL:DR.

After release I've given in to my casual alcoholism curiosity and tried reworked Wolf the best way one could - on some pub (that kept crashing, of course, like they do for some time now post fresh updates). Found in no-time Rock Dumb-bell only helps you maintain Normal, and that if regularly exercising (or sitting a lot in place, if previously went Wimpy, to recover Normal). Can go into Mighty if vegetating in place quite a bit, out of gate, but only that - graze Mighty. For fun in this brief state can throw starting Bell at Birds, Rabbits etc for amusing Morsel "fishing". Yes, is comedic pitching those things to squish meat out of defenseless lil critters or aggro Koale, for example. Then swiftly reversed to Normal. And that was it for first/starting Bell, a record low of getting consumed. Luckily I stumbled upon a (very mined by fellow pub-goers) Mosaic. No Gold, but found Stone. Hello again more Stone balls - lets pump that idle animation anew and squish +Morsels out of innocent critters. Fortunately again, Graves were not dug, hence I could dwell in a bit of stiffies desecration. All this time felt like I was playing.. Wilson with a Boomerang and broad-spectrum phobia (Oh that "thicc" down-arrow for sanity sapping like in a contest!), whereas picking past Wolf meant I could be Mighty almost out of gate, for sure from day 2 onward, towards extra-Damage bon AND Speed. Now? I was 5 days in and "Wilson with idle-animation to be normal" (plus said wide-spectrum phobia) braved (SIC!) the Constant as he knew best: by being plain, tedious/slow, and boring. But hey, at least "Boomerang" entertainment! Let's skip a bit (over 2 more crashes) to when I finally stumbled upon PK and got Gold for respective Dumb-bell. Now I'll scale better, right? RIGHT?! Meh, slightly. Less idle time to go Mighty (for a bit), still execrable to advance furthermore into Might. Working out to be Normal seems to be the "POG!" of early game. Pre-made a Gym, watched in chat some random out-of-gate Webber getting mauled 2 times by Eye of Terror (great idea, KLei, noobs should indeed feel real pain right out-of-spawn as a most welcoming greeting), got Lantern + Miner Hat post finding another Webber being knackered by wandering Treeguard - hello Living Logs (goodbye Webber the 2nd)! Perfect, up for Ruins, even if it was day 15 (popped in server day 8) since I trusted my newly-made Thermal Stone cramped in Backpack. Had 7 Pigskins, 4 Healing Salves, a moldy Butter, 2 fine-smelling Turkey Dinners, 3 Meaty Stews, 7 (relatively) good Meats, had my big Golden cojones flexing in hand (to be Normal), 2 Log Suits, a Football Helmet, mostly-fresh Hambat and the world at my (normal speed) feet. Managed to Wilson-ran my way to Lichen Wilds, 2 days laterino, during Apex Nightmare, slushing 3 Worms, 5 "Monke", mined 4 Thule Statues and.. had my trip cut short by another server crash. Life with updates.

Le Fin.

What do I think about "new and improved" Wolfgang from my described-above hiccuped adventure?

If I write "garbage" probably am too harsh. Moot? Plain?!

I know: "Wilson with phobias and flexing Boomerang to be Normal."

That's it.

At least from a random pub experience, server full, early game.

Nothing remotely close to past "Wolfgang gaming".

C'est la vie.

Perhaps after rushing Ruins and getting Gembell is more... manageable? Fun, dare I write?!

Thank you for the nerf character refresh, KLei, Normal Wilson (with idle-flexing Boomerang) Mighty! (for a short while) Wolfgang was the hero Wolf-mains didn't need, but surely deserved! :chunky:

Yeey Winter's Feast and skins.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Happy Hazard 1
  • Big Ups 1

4 hours ago, Josina said:

Wolfgang was killed by rework. He became a spooky ghost!

Thank you Klei for making us waste so much time and energy on providing well thought-through feedback to you. Slightly confused why you were asking for it, since you were clearly going to nerf him and change him into a completely different character no matter what we had to say. It seems that you would rather listen to a few people who are just spamming the forum - with a lot of condescension and mockery I might add - instead of those who really play the character and know the game. There was a lot of really valuable feedback provided to you, from a very loyal and active playerbase, but all of it was ignored. That’s unbelievably disappointing and a real departure from the past.

All the best to you,

-Josina

Wow so rude and so wrong...only condescension I see here is from you towards Klei and those who thought the speed boost change was good (which if you check that poll you'll find is actually a decent amount more than half of those who voted and not just a few "spammers")

Not only did they tweak dumbbells a lot but they also added the faster mining and chopping all based off feedback from the community. How did they ignore the feedback? Simply because they didn't listen to those crying "bring back the speed".

They didn't ignore feedback in the slightest and they not only did an amazing job with the rework but tried to make Every one happy as much as they could without bringing back the speed buff he never should have had in the first place.

Klei give us endless FREE updates to this amazing game that they don't have to and constantly listen to feedback and include a huge amount of player suggestions as they go.

Thank you Klei for this amazing update, awesome skins, awesome ornaments and I cannot wait for year of the catcoon! Catcoons are one of my favourite mobs so I can't wait to see what they do with them!!

• Like 13
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 1

I wonder if this means Maxwells character refresh will involve him changing other survivors for buffs.  This is a long shot, but what if they were buffs related to their already existing character perks? Like say if he buffed Wilson his beard would get buffed in some way and if he buffed Willow Bernie would become super Bernie etc. 

Really loved the short, the original DS kinda implied that all the survivors in the constant were there because of some failure or inability to fit in in the real world or their pursuit of glory so I'm glad all the backstory reveals of these characters stays true to that.

• Like 3

Just now, cropo said:

the original DS kinda implied that all the survivors in the constant were there because of some failure or inability to fit in in the real world or their pursuit of glory so I'm glad all the backstory reveals of these characters stays true to that.

Let's see, we had Webber with Maxwell narrating, Wigfrid shows the deal, the codex changing Wolfgang with William running away. I assume the next shorts will give screencaps into showing Maxwell's change...?

• Like 1

Holy wow!!!! Just watched the Wolfgang intro clip at last. A M A Z I N G

Also what a cheater with the elephant stunt! I would be right there with that kid booing my heart out. 

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Let's see, we had Webber with Maxwell narrating, Wigfrid shows the deal, the codex changing Wolfgang with William running away. I assume the next shorts will give screencaps into showing Maxwell's change...?

Maxwell's eventual intro is going to be amazing. I know we sort of already have one with him and Charlie but man his is going to be killer (hopefully). 

I wouldn't complain one bit if we got a ten minute long short film for his eventual rework/refresh. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Maxwell's eventual intro is going to be amazing. I know we sort of already have one with him and Charlie but man his is going to be killer (hopefully). 

I always imagined his short would be his act as a king in the Constant.Showing the way he created things. Kind of like a child messing with playdoh.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cropo said:

I wonder if this means Maxwells character refresh will involve him changing other survivors for buffs.

I don't think there will be any in-game interaction for him to do that. Lorewise, him buffing the characters was something he did as they were pulled into the Constant. By the time we play as them, they already got buffed by "Maxwell"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

I don't think there will be any in-game interaction for him to do that. Lorewise, him buffing the characters was something he did as they were pulled into the Constant. By the time we play as them, they already got buffed by "Maxwell"

Are you sure? A lot of the characters features and abilities were already there in a majority of shorts. Willow was able to scare shadows away with her bear, Wigfrid was able to immerse herself so much into her character that it seeped into her real behavior, Webber was already a spider, Wilson would obviously grow a beard without any help since that's just natural, WX is a robot. Winona didn't have any interaction with Maxwell since she was brought in by Wagstaff, Wanda was already using forbidden magic before she entered the constant, Wortox, Wormwood, and Wurt have no relation to Maxwell at all.  Warly's recipies are made from monsters in the constant, so rather than Maxwell buffing Warly to make food that gives you a damage buff, it's more sensible to believe that the super lightning goats horn he grinded into jelly(which I believe is how jelly is made in real life for some things) are what makes his foods ''special''.

Wickerbottom is a bit of an unknown, but I would personally place her on the same level as Wanda, she probably knew how to obtain and utilize pre-existing knowledge in the constant, I would assume Maxwell simply offered her a chance to discover it.

Unless I'm forgetting anyone, that possibly only leaves Wendy who Maxwell personally helped get some special superpower. I don't really think he gave power to any of the survivors, he only offered them a chance to start new in a new land.

He still can use Marble Suits and Piggy Back without speed penalty right? Like in Beta of the rework.

If so i am confused why this isn't mentioned in the changelog cause it's no small thing and it would ease up people complaining about the speed nerf.

7 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

He still can use Marble Suits and Piggy Back without speed penalty right? Like in Beta of the rework.

If so i am confused why this isn't mentioned in the changelog cause it's no small thing and it would ease up people complaining about the speed nerf.

Speed is basically the ultimate stat in Don't Starve unfortunately.  A nerf to speed is far worse than a nerf to damage, and most players who used Wolfgang already knew what they were doing and don't need marble suits and piggybacks to make that job easier. Speed boosts enable you to do so much more than you can at normal speed, they are even an indirect DPS increase because you can get extra hits in before you have to move out of the way. 

Damage only helps in fights. Speed helps in EVERYTHING including fights. It's not as important on boats but boats are kinda...I mean you have to be really interested in ocean content to really go there.

I don't think speed really matched his character at all so it was kind of weird for it to be a thing. I'm a bit sad to see it go but I can understand the decision. I'm more worried about how hard maintaining mighty form during fights will be, some fights might end up lasting more than a day so you'll have to work out in the middle of a fight which just sounds super tedious but I can't really comment much since I don't play Wolfgang.

45 minutes ago, cropo said:

Speed is basically the ultimate stat in Don't Starve unfortunately.  A nerf to speed is far worse than a nerf to damage, and most players who used Wolfgang already knew what they were doing and don't need marble suits and piggybacks to make that job easier. Speed boosts enable you to do so much more than you can at normal speed, they are even an indirect DPS increase because you can get extra hits in before you have to move out of the way. 

Damage only helps in fights. Speed helps in EVERYTHING including fights. It's not as important on boats but boats are kinda...I mean you have to be really interested in ocean content to really go there.

I don't think speed really matched his character at all so it was kind of weird for it to be a thing. I'm a bit sad to see it go but I can understand the decision. I'm more worried about how hard maintaining mighty form during fights will be, some fights might end up lasting more than a day so you'll have to work out in the middle of a fight which just sounds super tedious but I can't really comment much since I don't play Wolfgang.

Don't  want to be rude but i asked if his speed is still unaffected by Marble Suit and Piggy Back like in Beta? .......  Since it's not mentioned in patch notes still.

I can't check right now for myself and i am curious.

So can i get an answer instead of an essay regarding importance of the speed stat and Wolfgang nerf? 

Please?

Edited by ALCRD

If Klei is still reading suggestions here are mine
-Mighty form have a flat 1.1 speed bonus
-Mightiness depletion rate is 35% slower
-Maximum hunger decreased to 250
-Wimpy form have a 1.2 speed multiplier but with a constant -3/min sanity drain
-Adding a sore mechanic that work like your hp after being revived by a telltale heart
     +How it work is when wolfgang lose might in mighty form, his mighty bar cap is lowered at a rate of 1 for every 2 mightiness lost and cannot be lower than 75
     +The cap Is increased over time at a fixed rate of 1 every 15 seconds only in regular form or wimpy form, sleeping will triple this process
-Certain crock pot dishes will now increase wolfgang’s stats in mighty form
     +Sweet dishes will make him energetic increasing wolfgang’s speed in mighty form to a 1.2 multiplier similar to wimpy form with varius duration depend on the food(ie taffy will have a lower duration compare to pumpkin cookie or honey ham)
     +Fullfilling dishes such as Turkey Dinner,Bacon and Eggs,Dragonpie increase his mightiness cap by 5
     +make every potato dishes increase his mightiness cap by 1 for the meme
I also took into consideration of resources, these changes don’t seem hard to implement on paper
I’m still thinking about how to make Wolfgang better for the team but it’s hard to make someone who’s simply “strong” to be more of a team character without adding something entirely new

What these changes do In my opinion
1.Give wolfgang an actual downside instead of just higher sanity drain
2.Help Wolfgang get some gameplay progression system
3. Wolfgang players now have to plan ahead to make use of mightiness as much as possible, this is gonna result in various different playstyles and reward experienced players
4.Players will have to plan how much mightiness they should fill instead of filling it to full cause there’s no reason not to
5.there’s now a reason to be mighty and would reward you for maintaining high mightiness to be mighty-ready

I hope one of these ideas will please you

Edited by ColdHeaven

Looking into the Winter's Feast side of things... WHY KLEI?!? WHY GIVE US THE OPTION FOR THIS OUTFIT WITHOUT SOME WAY TO WEAVE THE TOP HAT SKIN?!?! THE CRUELTY!

image.thumb.png.3c42b0fb69c2f7859286079da6bb7c3f.png

Can you find the secret special holiday surprise in this image?

Edited by Dr. Safety
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Health 1
  • Spool 1
  • Sad Dupe 1