Winter's Feast and Wolfgang's Character Refresh Are Now Live!

15 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

we all know how this ends

The two Wolfgang’s smell a fire, Willow starts to smile.. they look back and their gyms are on fire so they rush to go put it out with a watering can and the Barbell above willows head konks her on the noggin because Wolfgang rushed off forgetting to catch it?

Edited by Mike23Ua

1 hour ago, AnnaKristina said:

Astounding to me to see that the people who mained and loved Wolfgang were nothing but polite, respectful, and presented great arguments on this forum, while most of the other side did not have much to offer besides hatred and empty “this is great” or “Wolfgang mains deserve x” commentary.

Stop pretending both sides of the forums weren’t equally mindless lol. It’s honestly funny how much you are vilifying people who supported the rework. Please try to be more mature and respectful instead of accusing a group of people who disagree with you to be the villains of the forums or smth.

Edited by goblinball
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Wugges said:

1. Dst is a pve game. There is absoluty no reason to balance Charakters at all.

2. The Speedboost is almost the only reason to pick Wolfgang in long term worlds. We have wanda now ! But i chose Wolfgang for spring from time to time to move fast between the overworld Bosses.  Also the Speedboost/decrease gives you the instant Impression of being mighty/wimpy. Of course Mobs go down faster and you stun dfly but the thing you realize the most is the speed. And why should i avoid being wimpy when nothing changes in normal gameplay ?  I thought klei wanted to give players a more authentical feeling for the roles the Charakters should fullfill. ... the speedthing was just perfect for this in my eyes. 

3. The special foodmechanics wolfgang used to have were unique and his actual downside (since sanitydrain is no downside at all when you lern to kill shadows.... Its an upside (except bossfights)). Instead of farming food (which actually doesnt needs to be farmed when you know the game well eg. Getting Horns gives you meat) now you have to click and hold an item for a certain time wich is not entertaining at all. Also eating between battles and to avoid formchange while chased needed a little skill/attention what i liked about wolf. Btw. The ability to instantly avoid shrinking is important and gone now i guess. 

4. The Health decrease is no Problem in my opinion. But it was more interesting before. Things like waiting to be whimpy to heal was a Kind of nice mechanic if started a world with wolf.

5. I see alot of people who main wolfgang and complain and on the other side many who dont play him and say its an great update. For whom are you doing those reworks in the first place...

1. False. Balance is still important. The audacity of this statement is astronomical. Its your opinion sure, I'm not even going to get into it on this one. 

2. I have a two part response for this. My first point is that if you're looking for speed you still have the option to play as WX or Wurt (sure takes some set up or teamwork, but something as powerful as speed should). Or just tame a beefalo and play as anyone, that is still an option. My second point is that the speed boost was kind of an odd effect for the strongman to have from the start. The strongman act in a carnival is not one based on speed, but sheer strength. Stationary, pick things up and put them down. Not that big muscles can slow you down, that is a myth, but running fast isn't in the strongman theme, at all.

3. I actually agree completely. His insatiable appetite was the true downside. Also now during a long solo fight, there is no way to maintain mighty. Solo toad, crab king, bee queen, maybe even solo Dragonfly, and probably fuel weaver etc can't be completed fully mighty. And normal wolf is just eh. Honestly might as well play Wigfrid for her songs and consistent damage buff.

4. I think the static health value is actually a good thing, more than just neutral as you make it seem. It does lower the skill ceiling and take away a strat, sure. But you need to consider that strat was a pseudo-short term +33% healing perk as well as a -33% damage reduction perk, when utilized to its fullest.  At some point something needs to be taken from a character. You can't have it all.

5. I see a healthy mix of both. Claiming you don't is just biased ignorance, and trying to push your own narrative/agenda. I played tons of Wolfgang. He was always my pocket character. I would never main anyone, but I'd always default to the strongman if I wasn't sure what I wanted to do because he is/was just that incredible.

I hosted a lobby yesterday and had everyone join as Wolfgang by choice, granted the name was Wolfgang Gang, but still. Before I made my own lobby I looked at like 20 worlds. Only 3 didn't have at least 1 Wolfgang. 

I think Wolfgang is in a good state overall, and honestly is only a very minor quick fix from being an incredibly and welcoming player experience, or as welcoming as uncrompromising wilderness survival like Don't Starve can be. My advice to you is perhaps play other characters. Round out your knowledge and expertise of the game if you need to.

• Big Ups 1

15 hours ago, herding dog said:

Big shouts out to Klei for trying to provide perks to make up for the speed boost like no speed penalty while mighty and wearing the piggyback, etc. It's a tough line to walk and there's no right answers. I respect you guys for being flexible.

actually that's from Uncompromising mode

3 minutes ago, Hornete said:

No way, Uncompromising Mode invented the idea of strong people carrying heavy things with no negative speed boost? Thats nuts dude!

Alot of the new tweaks was in uncompromising mode though, I'm sure klei got some inspiration I just wished they kept running with it.

41 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Stop pretending both sides of the forums weren’t equally mindless lol. It’s honestly funny how much you are vilifying people who supported the rework. Please try to be more mature and respectful instead of accusing a group of people who disagree with you to be the villains of the forums or smth.

Alot of sarcasm and mean will is being thrown around but that doesn't invalidate their opinion nor excuse them of their behavior. I only see the villains as those who can't fuel their arguments so they resort to pettiness. Pic for example.redditsave.com_qsnukfa03m281.gif.03180157b3ba05d213b1eea820ae3975.gif.28901e3b3e041facef2bcbe01b7109db.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

I really appreciate what I’ve seen of the rework so far, thank you guys!

It’s bugged me for a while that the mad scientist and the strongman carry objects at the same rate so I really appreciate the lack of speed deduction for mighty Wolfgang.

On the topic of carrying things what about adding the ability for the strongman to carry objects other characters can’t? I’m thinking spawned boulders, player made structures (like chests, crafting stations, drying racks, not fire pits. Things that could possibly picked up with the constants strength that wouldn’t be firmly attached to the ground) sleeping non boss mobs etc.? It’d open up new possibilities for mega base builders being able to use custom rock formations for builds and reduce the cost/provide vanilla ways, to correct placement mistakes. (“Logistically” I imagine lifting a heavier structure would require a chest slot harness though)

Edited by arakashi
  • Sanity 2

I spent all day playing Old Wolfgang day before his rework so my mind would have a fresh memory of how he plays, because I don’t play any single character 24/7 I often forget what they can and can not do… so to make sure I had a complete opinion: I played EXCLUSIVELY Old Wolfgang 24 hours prior to his NEW Rework.

And If I’m comparing 24 hours worth of experience as a moderately knowledge player with the game: New Wolfgang is an IMPROVEMENT.

Now before you say “shut up Mike your opinions are invalid” you absolutely and I mean ABSOLUTELY have to look at playing this game not as an Expert Wolfgang Main, But instead as if you were a common Casual player who still actually needs Tents to raise health and sanity when you’ve taken a beating.. who still needs to cook foods in a crockpot when you need some eats, etc.. now let’s compare Old Wolfgang Vs New Wolfgang to that:

Old Wolfgang became Weaker the less he ate and his hunger drained at 3x the speed, this actually lead to many casuals either A: Starving to Death or B: Eating all the food they could find because all they know is “Eat more fixes what’s wrong with me”

Old Wolfgang for a Casual Playstyle Involved Standing around Boringly waiting for your Crockpot dishes to finish cooking and then scarfing them down.

Now here’s the difference: a casual player will do ALOT of just standing Around… either because they’re still learning the game, or because they haven’t decided what to do just yet..

Old Wolfgang wouldve bleed through hunger like a Cow, NEW Wolfgang’s hunger doesn’t drain as fast and gives those people time to THINK.

As for the standing still and watching a crockpot animation.. you can now actually lift weights AS YOUR FOOD YOU WILL NEED AFTER LIFTING THOSE WEIGHTS COOKS. Giving you (the player) more to do then just stand around watching a crockpot, you can ALSO stand around lifting your Dumbell as your crockpot cooks- but the entire point is your still doing ALOT of just standing around.

Remember: we are talking about “Casuals”, not people who have never played DS.. but people who aren’t experts at it either.

They do absolutely NOTHING while staring at snoring animation inside a tent while their health and sanity go back up in exchange for Hunger.

So in this regard: The Gym Mini-game and Dumbell work outs are no different from standing huddled next to Wendy’s Sisturn for free sanity or listening to Walter tell annoying repeat campfire stories at night.

Rather you people choose to accept it or not: DST has long since departed away from its DS Uncompromising Roots.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get Sea Shanties at some point..

BUT Klei can always give us a nice comforting welcoming Mat and snatch it out from under our feet later:

Newbie Meet Winter.

TL:DR- Trust in Klei’s design choices it usually makes sense in the long term.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Sanity 1

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I spent all day playing Old Wolfgang day before his rework so my mind would have a fresh memory of how he plays, because I don’t play any single character 24/7 I often forget what they can and can not do… so to make sure I had a complete opinion: I played EXCLUSIVELY Old Wolfgang 24 hours prior to his NEW Rework.

And If I’m comparing 24 hours worth of experience as a moderately knowledge player with the game: New Wolfgang is an IMPROVEMENT.

Now before you say “shut up Mike your opinions are invalid” you absolutely and I mean ABSOLUTELY have to look at playing this game not as an Expert Wolfgang Main, But instead as if you were a common Casual player who still actually needs Tents to raise health and sanity when you’ve taken a beating.. who still needs to cook foods in a crockpot when you need some eats, etc.. now let’s compare Old Wolfgang Vs New Wolfgang to that:

Old Wolfgang became Weaker the less he ate and his hunger drained at 3x the speed, this actually lead to many casuals either A: Starving to Death or B: Eating all the food they could find because all they know is “Eat more fixes what’s wrong with me”

Old Wolfgang for a Casual Playstyle Involved Standing around Boringly waiting for your Crockpot dishes to finish cooking and then scarfing them down.

Now here’s the difference: a casual player will do ALOT of just standing Around… either because they’re still learning the game, or because they haven’t decided what to do just yet..

Old Wolfgang wouldve bleed through hunger like a Cow, NEW Wolfgang’s hunger doesn’t drain as fast and gives those people time to THINK.

As for the standing still and watching a crockpot animation.. you can now actually lift weights AS YOUR FOOD YOU WILL NEED AFTER LIFTING THOSE WEIGHTS COOKS. Giving you (the player) more to do then just stand around watching a crockpot, you can ALSO stand around lifting your Dumbell as your crockpot cooks- but the entire point is your still doing ALOT of just standing around.

Remember: we are talking about “Casuals”, not people who have never played DS.. but people who aren’t experts at it either.

They do absolutely NOTHING while staring at snoring animation inside a tent while their health and sanity go back up in exchange for Hunger.

So in this regard: The Gym Mini-game and Dumbell work outs are no different from standing huddled next to Wendy’s Sisturn for free sanity or listening to Walter tell annoying repeat campfire stories at night.

Rather you people choose to accept it or not: DST has long since departed away from its DS Uncompromising Roots.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get Sea Shanties at some point..

BUT Klei can always give us a nice comforting welcoming Mat and snatch it out from under our feet later:

Newbie Meet Winter.

TL:DR- Trust in Klei’s design choices it usually makes sense in the long term.

So wolf is more noob friendly now perfect :) maybe he will now attract the casuals who hated the old hunger mechanic and the people who prefer to take things slow and smooth.............. Now tweak him for the pro gamers >:)

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

As Wolfgang main with hundreds of hours playing as him, I feel compelled to give my very brief 2 cents about the Wolfgang rework:

I don't understand what this rework is trying to accomplish. Most other reworks have added more options and interesting things to characters that go hand in hand with how they already play, and I guess to make them even more enticing to new people or to the people that already play with them.

Meanwhile, Wolfgang feels much like the same thing as before, but now I also have to click an additional item (dumbbells) or structure (gyms) every now and then, both of which aren't super exciting or strategically engaging. So what's the point? Managing the new mightiness meter is just like an added non-rewarding chore, as his mechanics are still tied to his hunger anyway.

In its current state I'd rather just have the character stats nerfed but no mightiness meter. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've been a Wolfgang player for several years now, although haven't played in a while lately. Watching the animation on YouTube and learning of the character rework made me excited, I thought it would reignite my interest in the game, make me explore all the content I've missed out on with the help of my old favorite character, now new and improved. But I as read on through the description, then tried playing myself, and eventually came back to this forum to see if I'm the only one dumbfounded by this reworking approach, I grew more and more disappointed.

Not being able to explore the map quicker in the early days at the cost of spending more food is not fun.

Seeing a bigger than usual arrow down during the evening is not fun.

Farming rocks for expandable items that you have to then use while standing still for a minute is not fun. I wonder how is this supposed to play out in a long boss fight. Do you run away and stand still lifting dumbbells, hoping the boss doesn't despawn and make you start over? A simple action of eating was replaced with a gimmicky and tedious process of slowly filling up the mightiness meter.

How did anyone come up with this idea? How did it ever get get green lit in the first place, not to mention after a QA process?

This seems like the end of Wolfgang for me.

• Like 9
  • Big Ups 1

I still think a weighted vest would be a nice qol thing.

There are a couple gaps I am finding in the rework that lack intuitive tools to provide some comfort to the player within the new meter mechanic.

1. Finding yourself in Wimpy is very punishing if you are caught unprepared or just annoying to reach a state where the character is usable if you decided to take a break from the meter mechanic. You're forced to keep the meter at a certain threshold because going from 0 meter to mighty is not always possible. I find this to be especially punishing on Wolfgang because he doesn't have any perks in outside of mighty.

2. The meter drain is punishing in some boss battles, especially when solo. There are a couple instances where bosses don't let up and you lose your rhythm mid battle.

My solution is simple

A weighted vest, that I'm sure Wolfgang is familiar with given his military background.

5-11-TACTICAL-WEB6_tdnwvv.thumb.jpeg.f7555098289c6f9ecb35469f0ae0366a.jpeg

The vest does two things

1. Prevents Wolfgang from falling to Wimpy by keeping him normal by one single point 

2. Lowers the rate at which his meter drains, similar to how the pioneer hat works for Walter.

Downsides can be:

Higher hunger drain while worm (one becomes tired due to extra weight)

Takes up the chest slot

Only keeps Wolfgang 1 point above the wimpy threshold and does not provide meter. Can be repaired just like normal clothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredderico said:

I don't understand what this rework is trying to accomplish. Most other reworks have added more options and interesting things to characters that go hand in hand with how they already play, and I guess to make them even more enticing to new people or to the people that already play with them.

Meanwhile, Wolfgang feels much like the same thing as before, but now I also have to click an additional item (dumbbells) or structure (gyms) every now and then, both of which aren't super exciting or strategically engaging. So what's the point?

Your not going to “like” my response but since you asked: Console players do not have access to the nearly infinite world of mods that PC Players are spoiled rotten with: So every refresh is an opportunity for Klei to provide people on PlayStation & Xbox (and coming next year Nintendo Switch..) brand new exciting content to play and enjoy. 

I see people saying things like “this isn’t new it’s just part of @Toros Wolfgang mod” And while that may be true, Console players don’t have mods at all so it actually IS New for them..

Wolfgang’s rework does not fail to deliver in the aspect of providing console players with new content either, sure maybe twirling a Dumbell in the air is boring but.. I don’t see it anymore boring then waiting by a campfire at night, sleeping in a tent, waiting for crockpot foods to finish cooking, waiting for a fish to bite on a fishing pole etc etc etc.. The Gym is a New Mechanic for console players, and placing random sized weighted things onto it to increase might gains is dare I say “exciting”

Its New Content on an Old Character who literally the only things he originally had going for him was eating food, hitting stuff harder and running faster.

Now.. it’s just freakin satisfying to chunk a stone Dumbell through the air and smack a bird with it.

I wish there was MORE he could do (console doesn’t even have the hot fixes PC has gotten to improve him) but for what it’s worth: it’s a new way of playing an old character, Walking around with a Potato Sack on my back to never ever EVER lose mighty meter and doing it all faster then other characters genuinely makes me feel “Mighty” and not just “Faster”

Edited by Mike23Ua

28 minutes ago, LZGames said:

So i get them from the weekly drops?

You get them randomly by pure blind luck (I once had a year where I got none at all..) but: hopefully your luck will be better than mine.

Edited by Mike23Ua