Winter's Feast and Wolfgang's Character Refresh Are Now Live!

OMG Y'all need to stop being babies about a bit of speed being removed. He was overpowered as heck and needed to be nerfed and I think it was done perfectly. Whenever I played as him it just removed all aspects of challenge. For something that's incredibly easy to get, food, he could easily wipe out seasonal bosses with just a helmet and tentacle spike.

HOWEVER, as someone who plays solo, I really wish there was some difficulty setting, because the bosses with raid boss health meant for 6 players are impossible to do alone, especially with the slight lag on Xbox. There's just ever so slightly enough lag that any attack done by giants, spiders, etc. has twice the range it should seemingly have. You'll get hit even when you're nowhere near them. Don't even get me started on bishops. Even with cobblestones and walking cane their attacks are unavoidable.

It would be nice to be able to scale the bosses health to something more single player friendly, because it's not like I can play online with all the griefers. Finding 5 other people to play with online without having a Wes spawn in and burn my base causing a rollback is impossible. My biggest wishes for the game would be an option for healthbars, especially on bosses, and a way to make it singleplayer friendly.

P.S. Yes, I tried the single player don't starve. It literally has like half the content so no it's not a good alternative.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Tank vs kite completely different. Yet people can't wrap their minds around it

I'm aware tanking and kiting is different. What I'm saying is I don't think Wolfgang needs the mighty speed boost to properly kite.
He can wear a marble suit now with no speed penalty, letting him kite just as well as all the other survivors, while also having the added benefit of super high resistance if he does take a hit.

Or, if you wanna take advantage of the linear x2 strength, personally I just opt for tanking the hits to end the fight quicker.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I expect both of those characters will get more significant drawbacks, but I also expect they will be significantly buffed. 

Thats what im hoping for. They both definitely have room for much more interesting downsides.

For wicker id personally love to see a really unique downside related to sanity on the same level as wormwood’s and wanda’s HP downsides. Like going into negative sanity when she uses books past 0 sanity and that possibly unlocking something when she reaches high enough negative sanity. I just wouldnt want to see the effects of existing books be diminished, theyre already so situational. Except tEiN idrc about that one, unless they can give it a use other than charging wx. 

I also hope they surprise us with some crazy stuff for wx. I dont really play them much so i have no ideas. But wx should definitely remain the fastest survivor in the constant. 

I would have to agree with the speed modifier removal. There are already items that will increase your character's speed boost and if coffee were to be introduced into DST version (it should, but maybe not increase speed boost that dramatically, instead we could do with part of its effect also help work animations and actions become quicker) or features of the sort we would have those as options and WX-78 who is a character much more made to be oriented around direct movement speed.

Was going to comment how the extra mighty stat is a saturation of character instead of keeping it as simple as possible, but then the workout mechanics don't make sense. One way you could have done it is to have workout take hunger but then for a short period of time slow or simply halt hunger drain, giving you reason to take use of the workout mechanic to keep mighty form and still keeping the forms tied to hunger. Achieving desired results with simplicity always beats layers upon layers of useless mechanics, and they become useless from the very fact of having a simpler way to do things that would have little to no impact either way.

What I'm surprised was not changed (butyou still can) is Wolfgang's maximum sanity. It should be capped to 100 or so and many would agree likely regardless of any sanity drain modifiers. Strange change for health, I don't know why you wouldn't simply cap the health the same way you have supposedly done with damage modifiers. Just do wimpy x1 damage and 100 health, normal x2 damage and 200 health, and mighty x3 damage and 300 health. Simple, effective, easy to recognize and makes Wolfgang all the more distinct for his powerful traits, if he had a good drawback...

I don't know how impactful the sanity drain changes are but I don't think that's going to be much of a downside for many players who pick wolfgang for combat generally speaking. It's just easier way to farm nightmare fuel as him. You want the player to take something that will stick as a decent cost for the perks they are provided with. Maybe when low on sanity/insane Wolfgang would get stunned when something declares an attack close to him even if he won't take damage as a result? Even proximity of half a tile from the attack range would make for something interesting as low sanity/insanity would become deadly for players who know what they are doing for once and would leave the magic tackling part of the game to be handled by characters like Wanda or Maxwell. Wolfgang then becomes a character with powerful might, but if you really want to benefit from his perks at their peak with minimal risk, you will need help from players using other characters to do it. Or always keep as sane as possible, make players who know what they're doing still dread insanity for once like shadow splumonkey hordes with bad timing.

Edited by ZombieDupe
  • Like 1

• Developer
19 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

other mod being part of QoL confirmed?

I've been meaning to implement that myself just to make testing easier :D

18 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

alsol no words about arms being weird? ok!

Yeah, some arms are weird in certain views. I'll ask the artists to take a look and see. :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jason said:
  • Mighty Wolfgang works faster when chopping wood, mining or hammering things
  •  

Ok this may be a good trade off for the speed, (unless its a negligible amount) thanks klei!

Woodie still has his goose and ram as weremoose, so Wolfgang isn't a worse Woodie (I'm just saying this because I know some people will start drawing lines

• Like 1