Wolfgang's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

12 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

The reason that move speed got removed was becase, for all intents and purposes, it was absolute dog slobber when it came to balancing.

this game should not give 2 shits about balance unless it directly effects how fun the character is. Keeping his speed boost did not make him any less fun removing it made him a lot more fun and tedious to get anything done that wasn't combat 

17 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Speed is, without a doubt, the most broken stat in the game.

I agree that speed is a very important mechanic in the game... which is why there are already ways to gain speed bonuses using magis/canes/roads. Every character has the chance to get a decent amount of speed, but you need to work toward those items.

Which is why when characters can gain speed on their own it immediately elevates them from the rest. Speed may be broken, but that's why characters that have speed bonuses are so enjoyable; you need to dedicate yourself to that character to get it. Of course these character-specific speed boosts aren't permanent and aren't meant to just be a passive bonus (which is why old wolf's speed bonus being locked behind food was very negligible and unbalanced). With the mighty form needing some time put in to achieve, it's a lot more balanced and the speed bonus would need work to keep up.

With that said, the mighty system as of now is not too difficult to get maxed, so I think Wolf's speed boost shouldn't be as fast as before (unless there are more changes coming which is likely). Also some ideas being thrown around about speed boost being in the wimpy form could be interesting, but would need to be adjusted obviously.

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

We decided to put out a testing branch for this refresh so we can get your feedback after actually having played the refresh, rather than reacting to speculative feedback.

This should be needed before every update. Thanks for doing this.

1 hour ago, Mantispidae said:

I popped it up originally as a joke... but honestly I think this would be the only way I'd want him to get a speed perk!

So... Woodie from the Forge?

11 minutes ago, DST_LSJ said:

dst_menu_wolfgang

2_000.thumb.png.5f671919cf6aeb3ed4a538b5e53b906d.png

168695022_20200730-HeavyMetalWigfrid.thumb.png.2763727c23a0c0d694457a52342c1afd.png

12 minutes ago, DST_LSJ said:
  • wolfgang_wimpy_bg
      Hide contents

wolfgang_wimpy_bg.thumb.png.68c3933f3cdfa59e72a30cfcb9e2da0c.png

• wolfgang_mid_bg
      Hide contents

wolfgang_mid_bg.thumb.png.723a716ab46417c0e98d4376f88e1c63.png

• wolfgang_mighty_bg
      Hide contents

wolfgang_mighty_bg.thumb.png.a5033eb4b5873e2af646a52bae08a561.png

Can you post the wolfgang assets by themselves?

Well, I also tried out the beta and can comment on the rework.
- Dumbbells as a weapon are of no use. (i expected more)
- Wolfgang must stand still to gain power with the dumbbell. (I thought they would be a mobile gym, but no, we cannot use them while on the move)
- Klei's statement "Mightyness is no longer attached to his hunger" lie
You drain a moderate amount of hunger while working out and you need full hunger to maintain mightyness.
- The strength of a regular dumbbell is enough to lift 50 to 81 points of strength. (it takes 1:50 minutes, that is, 20% of the game day) Klei made an ordinary character boring and tedious, spending 20% of the game day on raising 31 power points with the help of a dumbbell is a waste of time.
- The shape change animation that stops Wolfgang while walking remains the same. (it's okay)
- If Wolfgang is gaining strength with exercises, then why does the transfer of heavy objects not support and not gaining strength?
- Why does the effectiveness of actions (for example, quick mining of stone) that depend on strength do not change? It is necessary that Wolfgang can quickly extract stones faster than ordinary characters. Which would benefit the team. / let's be honest, working as a miner is hard work /
- Mini game "Mighty Gym" really tiring.
- How does weak strength affect Wolfgang's defense? Isn't strength an indicator of an atack?
- Rowing and carrying heavy objects is not bad.
- Reducing health from 300 to 200 looks correct.
-Having removed the speed in a powerful form, we were not given anything to for counterbalance.
- Wolfgang still doesn't benefit the team. The rest of the characters do not interact with the mighty gym and dumbbells in any way, which tells us that only Wolfgang can gain strength. 

I've come to the conclusion that the only sensible solution is to lower Wolfgang's health and add the ability to carry heavy things without penalty to speed. Otherwise, this is similar to the nerf suggested by players who did not play for him.

37 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

The reason that move speed got removed was becase, for all intents and purposes, it was absolute dog slobber when it came to balancing.

Speed is, without a doubt, the most broken stat in the game. Literally everything one can do in DST becomes better with a speed boost. Farming/foraging? Speed boost to get to things faster. Exploring? Get from point A to B faster and out-run anything that might pose a problem. Fighting? Kiting's much easier with the speed boost. You might even be able to get an extra hit in for more DPS.

By all accounts, keeping the speed boost is possibly the *worst* thing that Klei could have done for the refresh.

What about Wanda's teleporting? By your logic teleporting must be the worst thing to ever exist and weregoose must be god mode for Woodie.

Speed can be given in moderate amounts and require a process to achieve and/or only given under certain restrictions in order to balance it. Wolfgang could jump rope or something idk. Just how Wanda's teleporting is balanced with Mctusk tusks and Weregoose can't attack.

Klei is already doing this to wolf's damage (given under certain conditions) so there is no reason this can't be done to his speed.

Just now, HowlVoid said:

What about Wanda's teleporting? By your logic teleporting must be the worst thing to ever exist and weregoose must be god mode for Woodie.

Speed can be given in moderate amounts and require a process to achieve and/or only given under certain restrictions in order to balance it. Wolfgang could jump rope or something idk. Just how Wanda's teleporting is balanced with Mctusk tusks and Weregoose can't attack.

Klei is already doing this to wolf's damage (given under certain conditions) so there is no reason this can't be done to his speed.

Wanda can only cut down on travel time (and isn't even a speed boost), and Weregoose can't attack or harvest.

Sure, they *could* give Wolfgang a restricted version of speed. But at that point, what could they do to make it relevent?

1 minute ago, Theukon-dos said:

Wanda can only cut down on travel time (and isn't even a speed boost), and Weregoose can't attack or harvest.

Travel time is one of the thing you mentioned on why speed is broken. Weregoose not attacking or harvesting is exactly why speed is not a broken mechanic.

1 minute ago, Theukon-dos said:

Sure, they *could* give Wolfgang a restricted version of speed. But at that point, what could they do to make it relevent?

Speed will always be relevant no matter in which form it is given if it's a balanced trade-off. 

Wimpy Wolfgang right now is only a punishment to the player with the risks it has. Giving him a speed bonus during this condition could be a good start but perhaps it doesn't make sense. 

Alternatively they could go the wheeler route and give him a small speed boost 15%ish when he has no backpack and mighty (weather gear should be ok). 

Woodie is fun.. he can chop wood AND Mine rocks while in his Beaver Form… he also has a Goose form speed perk, and A Moose Form fighting perk that charges enemies and AoE ground pounds the Ground.

Wolfgangs Rework still sounds BORING compared to that Klei… please fix it. While Mighty I want to be able to do things with my Bare Hands, like chop Wood & Mine Rocks.

This update is fine and will be great with a few minor number tweaks. This will be a long post btw so buckle up cause there is no useful TL;DR

I don't post often so for those who don't know me: I have between 1500 and 2000 hours playing Wolfgang alone (10,000+ hours in the franchise) and set/held several world record speedruns over the years (mostly as Wolfgang) before retiring to just be a mod a speedrun.com so I've played a lot of Wolfgang to say the least. Here's my thoughts on he update:

The new mightiness meter is awesome. It seems really easy to maintain and the progression from stone weights to purple gem weights feels good; every step is a solid buff on the last one. Plus, at strategic locations he has the permanent gym to gain faster at the cost of hunger. 

The dumbbells feel great but the numbers are clearly off. As weapons, every single one feels awful right now, but they just need durability changes to fix that. 4 rocks to kill 10 birds/rabbits and you lose your stay mighty item is not a fair price for what it gives. Consider that Walter gets 40 attacks with 4 rocks. Similarly, 20 with the gold dumbbells takes 2 gold and 6 rocks, Walter kills the same 20 small animals with 2 gold so Wolf is just taking 6 more rocks from the server. One of the biggest complaints of Wolfgang in the past is that he took too much from the base and didn't bring anything extra or special back, so now he's also taking more basic resources and food. That's just food for thought though. I'd suggest Either lowering the dumbbells cost or increasing their durability, both for lifting and throwing. Consider, even if a gold dumbbell could be thrown a ridiculous 50 times in theory, that's also the item you'll be using durability to stay mighty with, so you're not going to actually attack with it that much and right now each attack is less time being mighty. The throwing animation is awesome and fun though so great work on that, this is all just numbers tweaks imo.

Also, related to the above, perhaps another minor change that could be fun. Similar to how his sanity loss works, Wolfgang could also gain more mightiness when others are watching him workout. He is a showman and a show-off after all, so it'd make sense that'd he'd work even harder when observed so that he could show off more. This would also mean that your team doesn't have to sit around as long watching you workout before a fight. 

Lifting heavy things with almost no penalty is an amazing change. 10/10 on this one. This makes Wolfgang actually a team player. He's greatly improved as a farmhand by quickly being able to move and organize giant crops without needing to maintain a beefalo or being Walter. This also helps him set up shadow chess pieces and celestial champion much easier so it's even relevant for combat. The biggest buff is how he gets no penalty from marble suit or piggyback though and this is where the change is 10/10 imo. No penalty on a piggyback is effectively giving Wolfgang a 10% speedbuff without giving him a direct speed buff which is a great change and let's him carry more stuff which also makes sense given that he's strong. If using a marble suit in a combat you are effectively getting a 30% speed buff which is even higher and more consistent than his old speed buff. Really clever way to give him extra speed without giving him extra speed. Good job on this one Klei 10/10.  

Now for the meat and potatoes of the update, his new non-scaling stats. I love that he is so much easier to explain now, 5 years ago I had to write an essay to explain exactly how some of his mechanics worked and some people still didn't fully understand them. It was needlessly complex and could really only be learned via looking it up on the wiki or in the lua which is bad design. The new way is intuitive and easy to learn, so this system is much improved. 

A flat 2x damage bonus is insanely powerful. This is a ludicrous buff for Wolfgang, especially coming on the heels of shield of terror being added to the game. Tentacle spike was always known to be worthless on Wolfgang because you needed over 296 hunger to hit 100 damage meaning it would almost always miss that critical breakpoint. This was true for the shield of terror too. With the new system, both hit 100 all the time and that is frankly absurd. Consider, I spent early autumn exploring the surface and fighting the twins at night. I hammered down pig houses for a piggy back and the tools to beat the twins, then take the shield. piggyback, and miner's hat to the ruins. Shield now 9 shots every single clockwork enemy with no variance and I'm not being slowed down by the piggyback giving me nearly the same speed as old Wolfgang anyways. The ruins is also loaded with purple gems from the clockworks to get me the better mobile dumbbells which is an extra incentive to go there early. This is a fantastic change and allows us to play Wolfgang in a very aggressive but rewarding playstyle. Consistency is awesome. 

The loss of his speed buff is fine. It was annoying to calculate and expensive to maintain. If you ate potatoes every 40 hunger drain (5 potatoes per day to do this, btw) you only averaged an 18% speed buff anyways. If you were using a piggyback, you'd basically be the same speed back then as you are with the new update and if you adapt and use a marble suit in combat you'll actually be faster and tankier. 

Wolfgang got better and became a better team player. The update didn't really take any risks and do anything revolutionary, it played it safe and is ultimately a bit dull as a result, but he's definitely substantially stronger, more consistent, and more intuitive. Coming on the heels of Wanda's launch where Klei took huge chances on giving her high risk high reward gameplay options it seems extra dull that Wolfgang is still just the same boring and safe character, but games like DST need these kinds of characters that are easy for new players to pick up and succeed with so he fills the roll even better now.

TL;DR: He's better now and his speed even got buffed if you adapt to the new game state and use a piggyback/marble suit. 

32 minutes ago, Misuto said:

This update is fine and will be great with a few minor number tweaks. This will be a long post btw so buckle up cause there is no useful TL;DR

I don't post often so for those who don't know me: I have between 1500 and 2000 hours playing Wolfgang alone (10,000+ hours in the franchise) and

32 minutes ago, Misuto said:

I don't post often so for those who don't know me: I have between 1500 and 2000 hours playing Wolfgang alone (10,000+ hours in the franchise) and set/held several world record speedruns over the years (mostly as Wolfgang) before retiring to just be a mod a speedrun.com so I've played a lot of Wolfgang to say the least. Here's my thoughts on he update:

The new mightiness meter is awesome. It seems really easy to maintain and the progression from stone weights to purple gem weights feels good; every step is a solid buff on the last one. Plus, at strategic locations he has the permanent gym to gain faster at the cost of hunger. 

The dumbbells feel great but the numbers are clearly off. As weapons, every single one feels awful right now, but they just need durability changes to fix that. 4 rocks to kill 10 birds/rabbits and you lose your stay mighty item is not a fair price for what it gives. Consider that Walter gets 40 attacks with 4 rocks. Similarly, 20 with the gold dumbbells takes 2 gold and 6 rocks, Walter kills the same 20 small animals with 2 gold so Wolf is just taking 6 more rocks from the server. One of the biggest complaints of Wolfgang in the past is that he took too much from the base and didn't bring anything extra or special back, so now he's also taking more basic resources and food. That's just food for thought though. I'd suggest Either lowering the dumbbells cost or increasing their durability, both for lifting and throwing. Consider, even if a gold dumbbell could be thrown a ridiculous 50 times in theory, that's also the item you'll be using durability to stay mighty with, so you're not going to actually attack with it that much and right now each attack is less time being mighty. The throwing animation is awesome and fun though so great work on that, this is all just numbers tweaks imo.

Also, related to the above, perhaps another minor change that could be fun. Similar to how his sanity loss works, Wolfgang could also gain more mightiness when others are watching him workout. He is a showman and a show-off after all, so it'd make sense that'd he'd work even harder when observed so that he could show off more. This would also mean that your team doesn't have to sit around as long watching you workout before a fight. 

Lifting heavy things with almost no penalty is an amazing change. 10/10 on this one. This makes Wolfgang actually a team player. He's greatly improved as a farmhand by quickly being able to move and organize giant crops without needing to maintain a beefalo or being Walter. This also helps him set up shadow chess pieces and celestial champion much easier so it's even relevant for combat. The biggest buff is how he gets no penalty from marble suit or piggyback though and this is where the change is 10/10 imo. No penalty on a piggyback is effectively giving Wolfgang a 10% speedbuff without giving him a direct speed buff which is a great change and let's him carry more stuff which also makes sense given that he's strong. If using a marble suit in a combat you are effectively getting a 30% speed buff which is even higher and more consistent than his old speed buff. Really clever way to give him extra speed without giving him extra speed. Good job on this one Klei 10/10.  

Now for the meat and potatoes of the update, his new non-scaling stats. I love that he is so much easier to explain now, 5 years ago I had to write an essay to explain exactly how some of his mechanics worked and some people still didn't fully understand them. It was needlessly complex and could really only be learned via looking it up on the wiki or in the lua which is bad design. The new way is intuitive and easy to learn, so this system is much improved. 

A flat 2x damage bonus is insanely powerful. This is a ludicrous buff for Wolfgang, especially coming on the heels of shield of terror being added to the game. Tentacle spike was always known to be worthless on Wolfgang because you needed over 296 hunger to hit 100 damage meaning it would almost always miss that critical breakpoint. This was true for the shield of terror too. With the new system, both hit 100 all the time and that is frankly absurd. Consider, I spent early autumn exploring the surface and fighting the twins at night. I hammered down pig houses for a piggy back and the tools to beat the twins, then take the shield. piggyback, and miner's hat to the ruins. Shield now 9 shots every single clockwork enemy with no variance and I'm not being slowed down by the piggyback giving me nearly the same speed as old Wolfgang anyways. The ruins is also loaded with purple gems from the clockworks to get me the better mobile dumbbells which is an extra incentive to go there early. This is a fantastic change and allows us to play Wolfgang in a very aggressive but rewarding playstyle. Consistency is awesome. 

The loss of his speed buff is fine. It was annoying to calculate and expensive to maintain. If you ate potatoes every 40 hunger drain (5 potatoes per day to do this, btw) you only averaged an 18% speed buff anyways. If you were using a piggyback, you'd basically be the same speed back then as you are with the new update and if you adapt and use a marble suit in combat you'll actually be faster and tankier. 

Wolfgang got better and became a better team player. The update didn't really take any risks and do anything revolutionary, it played it safe and is ultimately a bit dull as a result, but he's definitely substantially stronger, more consistent, and more intuitive. Coming on the heels of Wanda's launch where Klei took huge chances on giving her high risk high reward gameplay options it seems extra dull that Wolfgang is still just the same boring and safe character, but games like DST need these kinds of characters that are easy for new players to pick up and succeed with so he fills the roll even better now.

TL;DR: He's better now and his speed even got buffed if you adapt to the new game state and use a piggyback/marble suit. 

Comments like these always reminds me on how disconnected a "pro-player" is from a regular player. 

Always maximizing, always paying attention to the numbers.

Because casuals can always rush the prestihatator, because casuals want to maximize the piggy bank so the speed loss makes "sense", because casuals want to fight the shadow piece bosses on day 21.

I guess eating juicy berries to out-run your friends and explore more of the map doesn't matter because it doesn't meat the quota, wanting to use less resources so your Wigfrid friend can make hats doesn't fit the quota, using the log suits you're Woodie friend made doesn't fit the quota. 

Hey, as Wolfgang you need to rush dragonfly before winter or you're not contributing. His damage is better than ever, so you must automatically also be better at the game and giving your team BIG GAINS. 

You need maximize, maximize, maximize. 

does anyone else feel weird about the peaceful winters feast music playing while wolfgang screams, lifts a potato and a ring of fire surrounds him?

No? Just me? Alright.

Spoiler

they'll probably give it a winters feast makeover like how they put cawnival stuff in webber's menu

1 minute ago, HowlVoid said:

Comments like these always reminds me on how disconnected a "pro-player" is from a regular player. 

Always maximizing, always paying attention to the numbers.

Because casuals can always rush the prestihatator, because casuals want maximize the piggy bank so the speed loss makes "sense", because casuals want to fight the shadow piece bosses on day 21.

I guess eating juicy berries to out-run your friends doesn't matter because it doesn't meat the quota, wanting to use less resources so your Wigfrid friend can make hats doesn't fit the quota, using the log suits you're Woodie friend made doesn't fit the quota. 

Hey, as Wolfgang you need to rush dragonfly before winter or you're not contributing. His damage is better than ever, so you must automatically also be better at the game and giving your team BIG GAINS. 

You need maximize, maximize, maximize. 

That’s not accurate at all- it won’t take a casual player long to notice hey my friends move really really slowly trying to move this heavy thing but I can move it with ease.

Now that heavy thing can be: Chess parts, Base Statues, Giant Vegetables, or Sea Loot (yeah you all forgot that existed didn’t you?) and any FUTURE Heavy Thing Klei may opt to add to the game..

It’s not always about being the best of the best of the best..

So first off - I'm not a Wolfgang main.  I played him for a bit when I was breaking into solo-fighting raid bosses, but quickly dropped him because he made the game far too easy.  He had a big speed buff, a massive health pool, absurd damage, and all he had to do was eat... which isn't difficult to do in this game...  His downsides were basically a joke sanity loss mechanic (a joke b/c he can kill everything so fast, and since he's eating always anyway just chug some cooked cactus) and the chance you might transform in an awkward spot and get tagged by an attack you weren't expecting (but with his health bar, even in normal he's pretty k)

In the beginning he was clearly OP.  He lacked any real downsides, and was basically Wilson if everything in the game moved slower and had half its health bar.  There was a bit of tedium in eating during combat, but with his move speed that really wasn't much of an issue.

However - as different characters have come out and been refreshed we've seen the gap between Wolfgang and others trim down.  Sure he's still the king of combat mano a mano, but there are strong rivals.  Winona got her catapults that, while a chore to set up, give you a large and repeatable damage boost in any arena.  Warly brought his spices that can power anyone up to near Wolfgang levels of damages.  Abigail gave EVERYONE the dps boost.  And then Wanda recently came out fully matching Wolfgang's dps with her whip, and a LOT of upsides on top of that (although she has some real downsides too)

The conversation slipped from "Wolfgang op" to basically "Wolfgang is best, but basic."  Still the king of damage since his multi can stack with everyone else's, but there is a sort of diminishing returns on that...  If Wolfgang is mighty, but you have Warly, Wendy, and Wanda with you...  You're probably the weakest in the group since you might have to eat at that moment while everyone else can just hold F.

Through this thread I've been on board with the changes Klei had ready.  I'm very glad they decided to push a beta branch so we could test it out.  This has definitely given me a better perspective.  As I said before Wolfgang already transitioned from the only super strong combat character, to just the strongest combat character.  That transition opens the design space for some new power, especially if we're taking away the speed bonus.  That new power just isn't there though...  Carrying heavy things faster, along with non-linear damage scaling is more a qol level change then a real re-work or buff.  Nothing new came to the table.  Even with these changes Wolfgang just does what he did before.  imo he really needs to get something new and interesting.

Some interesting things he could get:

1) We call middle form "fit" instead of "normal," and its not normal anymore.  Fit has 25% movement speed bonus, Mighty has 10%.
This is less about balance, and more a thematics and aesthetics request then a mechanical one.  His original "eat food get mighty" was a great thematic fit as strong men eat constantly through the day.  Seeing that go, I think we can inject a new thematic element in his kit.  Thematically when a strong person trims down they're going to have less weight on them, moving faster when he's trim represents this. Also aesthetically I feel he looks too slow in mighty form.  Big things moving at the same speed as small things can look odd... I think he should move a bit faster just because he doesn't look fluid now.  Players might enjoy pumping the "right amount" of weight and maintaining that, purposefully starving to drop out of full might quicker to get a speed boost for the run home, etc.

2) Improve chopping / mining efficiency when mighty.
imo this one is obvious, along with reduced movement penalty from statues, piggy pack and marble suit.  We need another player character that can really grind out the rock harvest so do like the opposite of beaver.  Let mighty Wolfgang mine like a merm, and chop like an almost Woodie.  Or just give him the reverse Wes treatment where he harvests faster but also burns tools quicker.  Either way, this is something that gives his mightiness a clear spot outside of combat.  It would make him useful to the team, and late game as another option for harvesting resources.

3) Have mightiness loss rate reduced to 0 if over 180~ hunger.
In the previous version you would micromanage times when you could eat to keep his linear buff as capped as possible.  imo doing away with that isn't bad BUT we have a new problem...  Its very difficult to maintain mightiness in a long fight.  There aren't a lot of opportunities to stand still pumping a dumbbell, and while the notes say mighty doesn't drain as fast when you're capped hunger - it only lasts 6:30 maximum...  Which just isn't that great imo ~  I think at high enough hunger mightiness shouldn't drain at all.  Combined with point 1 this can also help people maintain a fit form while traveling, while only being 1-2 pumps away from full might in case of a hound wave etc.

4) Oversized weapon
Simply put he should be able to craft an oversized club.  Anyone not in mighty form will slow down when equipped similar to piggy pack and marble suit.  Damage is dark sword tier, but he can craft it out the gate and it only uses some cut stone and logs.  Anyone can equip this, obviously only Wolfgang can be mighty with it though.

Why are we introducing mini games as a substitute for normal gameplay when we are already playing a game that we enjoy?  Instead of rewarding players to sit around doing mini games, why not tie the reward to existing gameplay? Wolfgangs gym should not be the focus on how to get mighty. He should be able to fill his meter mining/chopping/hauling/rowing, heck even fighting is a physical activity. 

Why not add a craftable protien shake that indtroduces a timer wherein any of these physcial activities you do listed a above contributes to filling his mighty meter. 

Anything is better than the minigames.

Archived