What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?

OMGkawaiiAngel

What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe it's a good change?

In my opinion everything online, and I mean EVERYTHING steals your data. The search engine you are browsing this forum on is stealing your info. There's no way to stop it, greedy cooperation will exist. So people who are constantly complaining about this one? Petty and pointless. Go complain at Google, Video Game Companies, Social Media if you are fighting this battle. This is Klei's best choice, and I trust them. I say just give it time instead of jumping to conclusions. Or better, just boycott them.

Sincerely, 

Cactus

Edit: Oh my lord, and TikTok. TikTok is the worst about that. As soon as Trump tried to ban TikTok, everyone went up in arms and wanted to save it. Seriously though, data stealing has just become a norm. We are going to have to live with it.

On 1/24/2021 at 7:18 AM, FairyInABottle said:

If I had known I wouldn't have bought any of their games and they aren't getting a thin cent from me in the future. Today's China is a modern day Nazi Germany with concentration camps. Tencent facilitates a lot of the evil China does. They sold out to literal devils.

Yes, a video game company is the, "literal devil" ok.

Sincerely,

Cactus

9 hours ago, Wendy C. said:

klei.jpg.77a70da6acfb3a456f5717f79a6d72a8.jpg

image.thumb.png.4d0b78d9ea9e2e8791d2657aa01d056d.png

Yes they do. That's what owning a majority share means. That is LITERALLY what it means. 
They own at least 51%, which is most of it. They have complete control of everything that goes on. 
They claim it will change nothing, but that is a lie. It is simply impossible to be true. 
A company does not get its majority being bought by a foreign corporation only to have nothing change. 

If I had to guess, the only "change" that will come of this is a bigger focus on monetization, since that is the ultimate goal of a company. As investors in Klei, they will be wanting to turn a profit on their games. Whether that means more microtransactions or DLC characters or expansions, I have no problem with to be honest. I like the massive free content updates we've been getting, but if Klei is becoming more successful and they have to sell these things for money, I have no issue contributing if it is good content.

The fact that this thread still exists scares me: It means that Tencent actually DOES own Klei now.. & that is just crazy to think about. :wilson_worried: 

I was holding out hope that Klei would still be owned and operated by well uhh Klei, but if Tencent has Majority shares over Klei then they’re the owners of Klei now.

I’m genuinely scared.. but I’ll ride out the storm & see what comes of it.

I would've preferred they got investment from somewhere other than Tencent who have a vested interest in the company and DST specifically, but I'm guessing they significantly bigger bucket of money due to that fact. The only answer is, "I don't know"; it really depends on how the partnership is going to work and things which aren't being said.

Spoiler
6 hours ago, RoughCactus69 said:

In my opinion everything online, and I mean EVERYTHING steals your data. The search engine you are browsing this forum on is stealing your info. There's no way to stop it, greedy cooperation will exist. So people who are constantly complaining about this one? Petty and pointless. Go complain at Google, Video Game Companies, Social Media if you are fighting this battle. This is Klei's best choice, and I trust them. I say just give it time instead of jumping to conclusions. Or better, just boycott them.

Sincerely, 

Cactus

Edit: Oh my lord, and TikTok. TikTok is the worst about that. As soon as Trump tried to ban TikTok, everyone went up in arms and wanted to save it. Seriously though, data stealing has just become a norm. We are going to have to live with it.

Yes, a video game company is the, "literal devil" ok.

Sincerely,

Cactus

This has nothing to do with stealing data. That is quite literally, the lowest evil we're concerned with. 
What you should be more concerned with is the murder, lies, manipulation, brainwashing, Orwellian Police States, suppression of free thought, AND the stealing of data on top of all of that so it is easier to grow and enforce the will of your new Corporate God. 

The fact that you don't understand just how badly this is a crime against all humanity, immediately shows that you've already lost. 

7 hours ago, RoughCactus69 said:

In my opinion everything online, and I mean EVERYTHING steals your data. The search engine you are browsing this forum on is stealing your info. There's no way to stop it, greedy cooperation will exist. So people who are constantly complaining about this one? Petty and pointless. Go complain at Google, Video Game Companies, Social Media if you are fighting this battle. 

1 hour ago, Wendy C. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This has nothing to do with stealing data. That is quite literally, the lowest evil we're concerned with. 
What you should be more concerned with is the murder, lies, manipulation, brainwashing, Orwellian Police States, suppression of free thought, AND the stealing of data on top of all of that so it is easier to grow and enforce the will of your new Corporate God. 

Exactly what Wendy C said. This is far beyond video games. Google etc may use your data (your habits= your property as far as I am concerned) to make money (which you see none of), but they won't, say, turn over your browsing history and location data to the FBI after you post in support of and attend a BLM protest. And the FBI won't make you disappear for it. 

Well Tencent/China will. I'm sure Tencent doesn't really want to, but they don't have a choice. The Party before all. When the CCP comes knocking you have no choice but to answer the door. You think the Hong Kong protests are for nothing? You think Taiwan is preparing to fight to the last man because they are bored? Or are these forums filled with college students that still think Communism is cool?

Take all that away, and you still have situations like where Blizzard banned that kid for speaking up about the Hong Kong protests, because they didn't want to rock the boat and lose all that sweet sweet chinese current (yen? yuan? Can't remember what it's called). A corporation took away a kids voice, prevented him from bringing attention to human rights violations, so they wouldn't get in trouble with China and lose money.

Edit: the above paragraph I think did not involve Tencent (I could be wrong), just using it as an example.

It must suck to need help as your community is crushed under the heel of a dictatorship, only to have a multinational, multimillion (multi-billion?) dollar company say "oh f***, that kid is gonna screw up our deal, shut him up".

And all these poor poor people worried about the state of the game and how they keep CHOOSING to read words online that frustrate them.

Rough. It's really rough.

22 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Or are these forums filled with college students that still think Communism is cool?

And as a matter of fact, if you have the time, interest, or proper reading comprehension skills, take a look at all the undeclared funding that China has been pouring into American colleges/universities, and individual professors. It's happening in Europe as well. Poisoned from within.

Terrible news.

It is well documented and accepted that WeChat, one of Tencent's core businesses, was directly involved in the censoring of information from those brave doctors in Wuhan in December 2019 who attempted to warn the rest of China and the world of a potential new disease.

Had that censoring not taken place, most probably at the behest of the CCP, then there was a chance that Covid could have been localised and stopped at it's source (as has happened in other cases), rather than becoming a world wide pandemic.

Sadly, it's an all to familiar case of multi millionaires happy to sell their morals to become even richer.

Pretty sure Tencent has to obey the laws where the games are sold at. So they can't just take the data from US, Mexican, French etc etc players and give to China's goverment because the laws in those countries might say "that is illegal". 

3 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

Pretty sure Tencent has to obey the laws where the games are sold at. So they can't just take the data from US, Mexican, French etc etc players and give to China's goverment because the laws in those countries might say "that is illegal". 

Except it's already well-established that Tencent DOES steal data using all of it's US/European games via Epic Games Store alone. 
Simply having the Epic Launcher with no games is itself a spying device. Which Tencent owns. 
We are absolutely ******. Klei themselves even more so. 

18 hours ago, Wendy C. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The fact that you don't understand just how badly this is a crime against all humanity, immediately shows that you've already lost. 

Ok. So! Seeing how you included all of these topics that SHOULDN'T be included in the argument shows YOU have lost it. See how that works?

Saying all of these topics have relevance is insanity. You are doing a double connection. 

Chinese Government > Tencent > Klei 

Really? I mean seriously. Come on. Look, hold up.

That's like the Government giving money to people and them buying drugs with it, and then getting mad at the Government. You can't hop through loops to accuse Klei of this. They need money, and they took the most viable platform. LET'S GIVE IT SOME TIME. If it turns out to backhand us, yell at me first. But lets give Klei the opportunity to explain themselves in the next Roadmap at the least.

Sincerely,

Cactus

17 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

SNIP

Yet again, I'll say it again. Just because Klei is getting funding from a company based out of Communist State. Doesn't mean Chinese are going to bust down your door. Give Klei time to respond to this matter in their very soon upcoming roadmap. If the Chinese do bust down our doors, come yelling to me first. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But this is what I firmly believe.

Sincerely,

Cactus

56 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

Except it's already well-established that Tencent DOES steal data using all of it's US/European games via Epic Games Store alone. 
Simply having the Epic Launcher with no games is itself a spying device. Which Tencent owns. 
We are absolutely ******. Klei themselves even more so. 

proofs? i can only find debunker topics saying this is a conspiracy

19 minutes ago, Hornete said:

so like, what kind of data does Tencent supposedly steal anyways?

feet pics?

maybe they want to know if you're POGCHAMP or WEIRDCHAMP?

well whatever the answer is.it can't be all that bad(well it could be bad but not as bad people say it will be)

8 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

Nothing a little (lot) of RMB can't solve ;)

I can no longer support Klei as it is right now. A company who's slogan is "Rhymes with Play" rings hollow. I was already skeptical of Klei's relations with Tencent, especially when the Roseate skinset was exclusive to China servers for a time. Then when Klei decided to betray consumer trust and anticipations by signing an early access exclusivity deal with the Epic Games Store for Griftlands, that was another strike against them. But this, this final act of anti-consumer action is the last straw. Though I wish well for Klei in their future endeavors, I no longer shall give Klei my patronage. After all, why do they need us players to play their game when they can just get their money from investors instead?

Archived