What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?

OMGkawaiiAngel

What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe it's a good change?

Honestly, it'll be interesting to see what changes. Tencent has their hands in majority of games now a days, at some point you'll end up just not playing any games at all if you're trying to boycott them. You'd also have no household products or any electronics in your house if you're trying to boycott the CCP.

It's sad to see people turn their backs on a small gaming company, but probably still buy brand name clothing or electronics that came from some factory or sweat shop in China for an 1/8th of the cost they're selling it for. But people want to play social justice warrior.

I semi look forward to see what will come of this, maybe more events, maybe they'll bring back the Gorge and Forge events or something new since they have new funding due to this partnership. (More funding, more devs, etc.) League Of Legends seems to have a new event every time i log on, it's in a constant state of new events, and content it's actually to the point of overwhelming, but there's always something to do. 

I also hope spools will finally be able to be purchased, so i can buy them and buy the skins i want specifically. Ha.

2 minutes ago, CookieNinja81 said:

also hope spools will finally be able to be purchased, so i can buy them and buy the skins i want specifically. Ha.

We have something similar to this on Xbox already it’s a new currency called Bolts.

It’s completely optional and allows you to get more content for your money.

At first I was against it worried it would be Microtransactions but- I’m glad to say that bolts and spools still co-exist- Buy what you want, weave what you want. It’s a good set up.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

We have something similar to this on Xbox already it’s a new currency called Bolts.

It’s completely optional and allows you to get more content for your money.

At first I was against it worried it would be Microtransactions but- I’m glad to say that bolts and spools still co-exist- Buy what you want, weave what you want. It’s a good set up.

I would like something like that, even tho they offer bundles of different skin sets, i end up having 3 of them and not wanting to have duplicates that aren't even worth unraveling (Cost 1350 to weave, but get only 450 back. Whack.)

I've always wondered why Klei never made Spools able to be bought in bundles. Plus, that Big Spool Bundle in Klei Rewards is still nonredeemable. 

Currently saving my Spools for Year of the Beefalo, to see what skins they offer.  

I feel like everyone is being so dumb with this. Klei is a company whose primary goal is to turn a profit--like most companies. They probably got an insanely good deal from Tencent, a Chinese company wanting to hold stake in a game that is extremely popular in China. Klei maintained that they still control every creative and operational decision regarding Don't Starve/DST. I will not argue against the ethics of China/Tencent, but Klei is certainly not nearly as culpable. The game will remain the same. As for whether their decision was morally justified is a much different discussion.

The main issue with Tencent now owning Klei is that it puts Klei in a slippery slope situation in the western world. Looking at the divergent opinions, you can tell that one of the main differences is about how invasive a player Tencent is perceived to be. There are many legitimate concerns surrounding this, but all the same people have every right to not share some of those concerns. Chances are that Klei made this decision knowing that with expanded access to the Chinese market and Tencent as their sugar daddy, they're more than likely to recoup the losses that could be incurred in the western market as a result of this move. In terms of raw money this was more likely than not to be a smart decision.

And no, the "U.S. also bad" whataboutism isn't really adding anything since that still only addresses one of the many potentially incoming issues (and most of us already know that U.S. also bad). Furthermore, the CCP's control over Tencent, and Tencent's ownership of Klei, inevitably pulls Klei into the CCP political quagmire so it would be ignorant to pretend that this has no chance of becoming political. If it was EA or something it would just be about corporate politics instead which is a whole new can of worms.

The logic that supporting Klei=supporting Tencent=supporting CCP=supporting genocide is like saying supporting any American companies like Google is supporting America's constant war mongering and war crimes in the middle east, because Google pays taxes to the American government, who wages wars in the middle east. The money changes hands so many times that only a tiny fraction goes to the end goal, which isn't even that significant anymore. The CCP have plenty of power in China, but they don't have nearly the same power in Canada, and they cannot directly influence a foreign company. Even if Tencent were to do that, they still need to jump through plenty of hoops to do so. Besides, they have bigger issues to worry about like the CFO of Huawei.

Tencent as a company has only one goal: money(that's like, every company's goal). They don't need to do everything to benefit the CCP unless under direct order. As such, we don't need to worry about CCP influence in my video game. From the post, it's clear that although they hold majority share, they didn't bought Klei, and as such they don't have executive power. Still, they have a lot of say in things, because they can threaten to sell the share, threatening to ruin Klei's stocks(I think that's how it works. I don't have a degree in economics). That is a part that I don't like, as I have no respect for a company like Tencent. Tencent as a company based their entire business on copying other people's stuff and other predatory business practices. Their games are copies of existing games filled with microtransactions, or they just bought it from people with more talents than them. At least some other Chinese companies like Alibaba and Huawei offered something original. Tencent? Nothing. They are the EA of China in terms of gaming, and the internet hates EA.

It would be a shame if Tencent extend their influence on Klei, who has made a lot of creative games over the years. Mark of the ninja is still being talked about when people mentions stealth games(by people I mean Mark Brown), and Don't Starve is one of the hardest and more interesting survival games I've played. Their newest game, Griftlands, while at first glance is a copy of Slay the Spire, it offers a new take on the roguelite genre and can be considered a new game. Same things couldn't be said about Tencent's games. There is a game that is clearly a copy of candy crush, a game that is clearly a copy of league of legends(I thought they bought it. What more do they want), and this goes on forever. That said, from the announcement, Klei said they would retain their creative autonomy, so we have to see what happens next.

4 hours ago, Duck986 said:

maybe I will look too toxic, but mods should close or at least control topics like this so it wouldn't go too far.

Reveal hidden contents

I have left this thread even though the other exists because the conversation is a bit more constructive, and I don't want to just merge it with the other one. Frankly I got to it too late and I don't want to just shut it down. 

I don't disagree that everything should be in the one thread, but I am making exceptions because of this exceptional situation. 

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

I have left this thread even though the other exists because the conversation is a bit more constructive, and I don't want to just merge it with the other one. Frankly I got to it too late and I don't want to just shut it down. 

I don't disagree that everything should be in the one thread, but I am making exceptions because of this exceptional situation. 

Props to you guys for allowing the community to speak about the topic. I was surprised it wasn't started earlier, and thought it had something to do with censorship. Even if that was the case, I feel that's reasonable. Instead we get to speak about it freely. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I'm just sad that Klei is no longer who they were.

Previously there were no strings attached. I could gladly buy a skin, character or, heck, even a new game, because I knew that my money was going to Klei, that I was supporting Klei's projects.

But right now- how am I supposed to know that my money is going to Klei and not Lol department, Fortnite department or Tencent's bussines taxes

Yeah that's a good point, I want to support the Klei developers, not help Tencent pay their expenses.

my dudes, i am going to be perfectly frank; if klei's majority shareholder was the canadian government or the american government i would STILL hold my current position since both countries do the same evil and cruel things to their minorities that china is doing. i am sure i am not the only one who does not like the idea of electively choosing to support such things and refusing to pay money on a videogame(something that is not required to live in a safe and productive manner) is a valid way to express it. saying that by virtue of still needing to go to work and wear underpants that concern and refusal to blythely keep paying in is at best invalid and at worse a sign of moral corruption is not just ignorant of the conversation but is contemptuous of the very idea of personal discretion in a globalized community 

tldr? i cannot choose to stop eating food for the rest of my life without it being the end of my life but i CAN choose to stop buying skinpacks because i think some of the money is going somewhere i'm not ok with.

6 minutes ago, TheDoughboy1917 said:

Yeah that's a good point, I want to support the Klei developers, not help Tencent pay their expenses.

By extension, Klei has likely made a lot more money off of Tencent's purchase than they will from microtransactions in awhile. Buy the cosmetics if you like the cosmetics! Buy the characters if you like the characters. I'm sure the money will benefit Klei regardless of Tencent.

Just now, Souper said:

By extension, Klei has likely made a lot more money off of Tencent's purchase than they will from microtransactions in awhile. Buy the cosmetics if you like the cosmetics! Buy the characters if you like the characters. I'm sure the money will benefit Klei regardless of Tencent.

If you want to get technical: Klei’s deal with Tencent has already been paid, which means.. whatever you buy goes towards paying off the debt Klei owes for that loan.

So “Technically” your still helping fund Klei.. if you can think of it that way & not feel scummy.

19 hours ago, minespatch said:

Neutral. Will play the waiting game.

My thoughts exactly pretty much, as long as Klei's games stay the way they are for the most part and Tencent doesn't pull any huge BS, I doubt it'll stop me from playing DST on and off like I do with alot of games I play.

neutral, i don´t really like tencent, but they don't "own" klei now, they only own a part of the company.

i play don't starve a many years and klei have never disappointed me. we need to stop judging without seen the results.

let´s just wait and give then, the nescessary feedback, we are the comunity and we have influence on then, after all.

klei.jpg.77a70da6acfb3a456f5717f79a6d72a8.jpg

image.thumb.png.4d0b78d9ea9e2e8791d2657aa01d056d.png

23 minutes ago, Gooey_the_frog said:

they don't "own" klei now

Yes they do. That's what owning a majority share means. That is LITERALLY what it means. 
They own at least 51%, which is most of it. They have complete control of everything that goes on. 
They claim it will change nothing, but that is a lie. It is simply impossible to be true. 
A company does not get its majority being bought by a foreign corporation only to have nothing change. 

I think this whole topic is a bit blown out of proportion. Klei has worked with Tencent before to get the game to China, as well as add the Chinese new year (which was the event that received the most content last year).

This most likely wasn't a decision of the likes of "oh cool, let's sell Klei to Tencent", if I had to guess, there was an offer to buy for a long time, and maybe the offer changed overtime as the game evolved within the Chinese market. And I'm sure Klei went over this topic for months, maybe years and with actual lawyers on their side, so I assume they have gone over every possible scenario and know what they're doing.

What I expect to see from all of this in the following year is barely any changes other that "we want you to include this on this update, or make an update about this", which regardless of the topic, I'm sure Klei will end up coming with something engaging from it. Worse case this game will end feeling like it has Chinese culture seeping through it instead of an alien hostile world vibe (which would kinda suck).

Judging by the Winnie the Pooh memes in the forums, it seems Tencent cares only about the Chinese audience, and cares little of what happens within the western audience (for now).

Worse case scenario would be Tencent deciding it wants to compete with steam and creates its own alternative while having the games they are the proprietors of become exclusive to their new platform.

I don't expect much change, but if so me and a bunch of friends might end up working on a complex mod to host the game and play with friends without the access to steam server API to avoid the data collection.

I appreciate Klei decided to personally share this topic with the community, not that we wouldn't have found out anyway, but they took the initiative and considered it a topic the community needed to know.

Nothing much to say other than "hope for the best, prepare for the worst", try not to overreact before anything happens, but be prepared to do so in case it does.

6 minutes ago, CremeLover said:

Worse case scenario would be Tencent deciding it wants to compete with steam and creates its own alternative while having the games they are the proprietors of become exclusive to their new platform

Isnt the epic store a tencent platform? Asking serious because i am not sure

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

"Epic is partially owned by Tencent. As of 2019, Tencent owns shares equal to approximately 40% of Epic Games. That's not a majority but it's not an insignificant slice of the pie either."

By now they probably have 70% if not entirety anyway.

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a037e6fd441f3d9e77821b8aa729b8a1.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Games

While Sweeney remains the majority shareholder, Tencent acquired a 48.4% outstanding stake, equating to 40% of total Epic, in the company in 2012, as part of an agreement aimed at moving Epic towards a games as a service model

Is an American Video game company as The founder Tim Sweeny remains the majority shareholder.

I meant it more as "all our games that are on steam we want to make them Tencent exclusive", which is something really big that I don't really have any example of.

I really didn't want to start any rumors, and this would be a legal and technological mess, since many devs including Klei has deals with Steam, and use their systems to work.

Please don't interpret this as Don't Starve is going away from Steam, I certainly can't speak because I'm not a Dev at Klei, and they probably are more profitable while remaining on Steam. It was just a possibility that I though might happen in a distant future.

EDIT: I would also like to add this might no be possible depending on the contract Tencent signed with Klei, so please don't overreact to mere speculations.

Archived