What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?

OMGkawaiiAngel

What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe it's a good change?

On 1/26/2021 at 8:38 PM, Hornete said:

so like, what kind of data does Tencent supposedly steal anyways?

Well, I'm afraid that it's hard to tell, but I remember that players found out that the Epic Launcher which is owned by Tencent, was performing scans targeting Steam folders, ones such as local save data, friends, profile and perhaps more. Gosh, that really is scary, when they do something like that without permission.

11 minutes ago, Hornete said:

So data that pose no real threat and can easily be gathered anyways, Got it.

I apologize for forgetting to state this in my previous post, it mostly depends on how you see it, I'm not trying to make you upset or anything else, but I recommend taking a little time to read this. If you are okay with all this then it's good.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/epic-promises-to-fix-game-launcher-after-privacy-concerns/

Spoiler

From a Valve's Spokesperson as listed in that article.

We are looking into what information the Epic launcher collects from Steam.  The Steam Client locally saves data such as the list of games you own, your friends list and saved login tokens (similar to information stored in web browser cookies). This is private user data, stored on the user's home machine and is not intended to be used by other programs or uploaded to any 3rd party service.  Interested users can find localconfig.vdf and other Steam configuration files in their Steam Client’s installation directory and open them in a text editor to see what data is contained in these files. They can also view all data related to their Steam account at: https://help.steampowered.com/en/accountdata.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:07 AM, Wendy C. said:

klei.jpg.77a70da6acfb3a456f5717f79a6d72a8.jpg

image.thumb.png.4d0b78d9ea9e2e8791d2657aa01d056d.png

Yes they do. That's what owning a majority share means. That is LITERALLY what it means. 
They own at least 51%, which is most of it. They have complete control of everything that goes on. 
They claim it will change nothing, but that is a lie. It is simply impossible to be true. 
A company does not get its majority being bought by a foreign corporation only to have nothing change. 

well, ok then, i still thinking we should wait to see what happens.

imo they will not change anything, we just need to be aware for privacy policy changes and for god's sake, stop being so negative.

Y'know, when I look at this and the official status update thread and see how people keep down-playing and defending Klei's actions, it just makes me wonder why do people love to ignore from humanity's past mistakes. These kinds of things had already happened too many times, and mostly ends the same way. So why does people still don't want improvement?

I think this time should be the time where it should end differently.

The tencent ownership is just bad, not just because it was tencent, but because now klei's future directions will be dictated by pleasing them with profits.

On 1/29/2021 at 12:47 AM, Wendy C. said:

Give it time. It will come. It's impossible for it not to. 

Again more conspiracies

I see how poe and lol become p2w /sarcasm

It will have no sense to make dst a p2w game. What they could add? Logs for money? Less cooking time for money? It has 0 sense

Stop being radical and unrational pls

Archived