What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?

OMGkawaiiAngel

What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe it's a good change?

People are jumping into harsh conclusions too fast and too soon IMHO. We should wait and see how this works out, and probably sound the alarms IF weird decisions start popping in the games (p2w micro transactions, paywalls, low quality cash grab updates, shady data collection updates)

So far Klei has never disappointed me as a client or as a fan so, I can only but trust what Bigfoot said.

Also this probably belongs in the off topic section as it is not related specifically to the don’t starve franchise.

4 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Does this need to be a second thread in the DST forum? There's already a big "Studio Announcement" button at the very top of every page on the forum that leads to a discussion thread about this...

Well thanks a lot for your statement, but it's simply too harsh to go every single user's comments to tell what they think. And Off Topic is simply not as active as any other forum, and I believe DST is Klei's most popular franchise so it would be okay to discuss this here.

Owning shares into a company is not the same thing as owning the entire company.. people would be wise to remember that.

Also as I wrote in your status update: I’m looking into who Tencent is right now and they have shares into many many MANY games and franchises: The most notable of which may even be EPIC GAMES 

the People who do Fortnite And GEARS of WAR, But more importantly Epic owns the UNREAL ENGINE, so any game you buy that pops up with the Unreal Engine Logo is funding epic games: Which means.. it’s also funding Tencent.

Im not going to start freaking out until Tencent starts pushing Klei to do things Klei really doesn’t want to do.. but by that point: I believe most of Klei’s employees will be disheartened enough that they will quit & if worse comes to worse: Form a new company at a later time.

Until then, I’ll play the waiting game to see what happens.

The issue is off topic because it concludes klei, the company as a whole. Obviously they're not gonna post every single thread titled the same on each community forum of their games, there's a giant blue label on top of the forum screen with link to the original thread about it. I don't see the point of creating more threads concerning the sell out.

i think it is a good business deal for klei's owners because they got to make a lot of money by selling these shares out. i think it is a rubbish deal for the community because the corporation that bought those share has a habit of butting in and forcing unwanted and often dangerous changes. i think i am worried for the people who work at klei because they now have a damocles dagger hanging over their heads and may be out of a job in the next couple of years. my opinion is that no matter what happens people like me with no power are going to get the worst of it because even if klei itself goes on to have no issues any future purchases made are going towards highly unethical projects

I dont like it but was a logical step when you see that the mayority of the fan base is from china and i dont know any chinesse company that doesnt make game for adicteds (like genshi impact and other pay to keep playing games) so maybe klei choices the "good" one

I would like to have this discussion only in his respective topic

I am interested in the numbers of what don't starve community thinks about the situation. Community studio comment section is very chaotic with stating their opinion. So I will consider this as a small room for discussion instead using a great hall.

Could you also make poll private? It doesn't matter what every person thinks and for some it could be anxiety to vote. @Charlie Dark

What's done is done! All we can do is bless Klei! I am sure they made this decision after serious consideration. With more money, they can do better game for us. They have some fabulous job for us and they will keep doing it. Guys, Please have some faith on the studio who have been with us for so many years!

18 minutes ago, Tofu_lion said:

With more money, they can do better game for us

Maybe yes, but remember that now playing in Klei games you also support Tencent, its mission against freedom in china, expansion on game market and censorship.

I'm really not happy with their decision, I will wait and see, by pulling that move I expect nothing but 10/10 content from now on. I just hope they will stay in control. I've been with Klei from 2013 and accepted that DS is dead and DST is their main focus, so I'm crossing my fingers for them, I love Don't Starve so much.

29 minutes ago, Bandzia said:

I'm really not happy with their decision, I will wait and see, by pulling that move I expect nothing but 10/10 content from now on. I just hope they will stay in control. I've been with Klei from 2013 and accepted that DS is dead and DST is their main focus, so I'm crossing my fingers for them, I love Don't Starve so much.

Yeah, I feel similar

Archived