What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?

OMGkawaiiAngel

What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe it's a good change?

4 hours ago, Hornete said:

so like, what kind of data does Tencent supposedly steal anyways?

In theory... General data for their data base, like next our favorite developer to devour?:spidercowers: (I need a fancy Charlie or night hand emoticon)

Since target would be general, data also would be more or less general. Except for maybe some special aims, like Winnie the Pooh or activists outside china.

Fancy use would be to turn everyones computers into zombie-computer for ddos type of attack, but honestly... In some terms "everybody" could do it.

9 hours ago, RoughCactus69 said:

Yet again, I'll say it again. Just because Klei is getting funding from a company based out of Communist State. Doesn't mean Chinese are going to bust down your door. Give Klei time to respond to this matter in their very soon upcoming roadmap. If the Chinese do bust down our doors, come yelling to me first. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But this is what I firmly believe.

Sincerely,

Cactus

Lol

You don't seem to have a grasp of the situation. I'm not worried about China kicking in my door, and you shouldn't either. Unless you live in China.

Quick side question, really to Klei because they would know the answer better than most I think, but can a person access this site from China, or is it restricted by the Chinese government?

Anyway, obviously China isn't coming to Homestead Florida to get me. Their only interest involving me is indirect, and it's to limit communication/information between China and the rest of the world. The reason is to control their population prevent awareness of their populations plight.

There is a metric ton of information on what's going on in that part of the world, but obviously the only results in bringing it up is either preaching to the choir or wasting my breath. It's unfortunate.

I will say that for you to be on the side of the argument you have chosen you would have to be a supporter of Trump or any of the far right parties in Europe. I don't mean that in an insulting way. It simply means that while Trump and the Nationalist/Far Right parties of the world day dream/dreamed of dictatorships and absolute power/control, China is actually doing that, and doing all the negative activities that come with that territory. Therefore if you are actively against Trump/Nationalist/Far Right politics, you absolutely have to be against the situation in China. If you are pro Trump/Nationalist/Far Right, that's your choice, and that would make sense.

If you don't care either way then I'd recommend getting off the internet and continue to enjoy growing up while you can. Getting older is scary as s***, and watching the world begin to burn is not fun. Enjoy your youth.

And I don't think anyone is seriously taking the view of CCP-Tencent-Klei-Evil. The issue is where is the line?

The following is not a comparison, but an example-

WW2, obviously Nazi high command= guilty. German Army= guilty. The old guy with a furniture factory deep in the german countryside far from the fighting and war crimes making parts for ME-109s= .......guilty? Not guilty? He had to make a living right? He didn't know what was going on right? He didn't have a choice right?

I'm sorry to have to use the above example. I am in no way comparing Klei to Nazi Germany, it's just a topic I know about, and was the easiest example I could put together in my head.

The bottom line is Klei knew what they were doing, they were gonna take a lot of flakk and bad press. But they gained complete access to the Chinese player base, which I think is fast becoming the largest most lucrative gaming market on the planet by a lot.

Klei went for the money. It's human. I personally am disappointed, but I'm not sitting here saying **** Klei. I may be done with their products, I don't know. I do know free speech, privacy, and the right to live a halfway decent life without getting ****ed with are pretty important to me. I would imagine the same could be said for my counterparts in China. Middle age, low income regular men and women just trying to get by and raise a family.

I guess I'm just suppose to say "screw 'em, ain't my problem", or "oh but America does it too".

Just know, there are things that you care about, injustices you see that effect you in your life. I know there is, you know there is. You don't need to admit it or acknowledge it. It's a fact of life. Imagine when you see your situation brought before the world and you see everyone saying "bro, it's not gonna effect the game", or "God, I've already seen like 4 posts on reddit about this, can a mod lock this thread?! Geez?!", or "stop complaining".

I'm sure anyone crying about thread amounts and how the game won't change and how China isn't sending hit squads across the world chasing non chinese forum posters don't have the emotional maturity to put themselves in someone else's shoes, and like I said, I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Just had to get it out.

9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

proofs? i can only find debunker topics saying this is a conspiracy

The problem is things like this-

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/08/768245386/blizzard-entertainment-bans-esports-player-after-pro-hong-kong-comments

The cancellation of free speech in pursuit of money. This was (publicly) all on Blizzard. They didn't want to lose their chance with the Chinese market, CCP could have shut them out of China, so they shut the kid up as best they could. They later only gave him a 6 month ban I think, for drawing attention to human rights abuses.

What would happen if popular DST streamers took up the mantle of chinese rights abuses? It's not quite the same thing as I would imagine Twitch is either banned in China (in favor of the Chinese equivalent) or heavily censored, and Twitch is hardly Kleis platform, but the bottom line is that the current Chinese government is quite fond of limiting incoming and outgoing information, and they can now do that just a smidge more effectively, and Klei is on some level involved.

I've been playing Klei games since the original single-player Don't Starve. Selling what was once a Canadian small-business success-story to a conglomerate* would be frustrating in and of itself, as large businesses often mistreat workers in this industry. Selling themselves to conglomerate from a place with recent history of Very Bad Things** - that's where I have to stop supporting the company. You might think that this is "just games", or that this situation is too indirect with regards to those things, but there's other games I could spend my money on that aren't tainted in the same way. I'm out.

* To the people who say "majority stake doesn't mean control" or similar - the specific phrasing in the announcement doesn't seem good no matter which way I would interpret it. If it's a majority in voting shares, then that means they can out-vote everyone else in decisions, no matter what creative control Klei says they negotiated. If it's a majority of non-voting shares, then that portion of my dollars would go somewhere I do not wish to support. And I have serious doubts that they would purchase a majority of non-voting shares.

** Such a place, that people Do Not Name It, and must use A Children's Cartoon to speak in Husht Tones.

I will both stop purchasing, and discontinue playing their games. For context, there's rootkit-style parts of League of Legends, allegedly just to stop cheaters. (And for now, probably only for that purpose, as the stake in Riot is a minority, last I checked.) The risk of having every action on my computer monitored is not one I'm going to risk just for a game.

While I love Don't Starve and have been a fan of the DS games for years, this decision unsettles me. Tencent is known for enforcing censorship and partaking in data collection. This thread has gone on for six pages now, I'm sure someone has gone in depth with what's wrong with Tencent better than I could. I also saw some discussion while I was reading articles about how this might not be a good decision for the company. 

I'd love to support Klei, but what they're doing with Tencent getting majority stake is making me shy away from wanting to buy any further games or merchandise. I'm also worried that Tencent having as much financial control will, over time, begin to hamper the development of the Don't Starve games, 

That's my thoughts on it currently at least. 

If introducing Tencent as the majority shareholder is the ONLY way to financially secure Klei and it's staff, I'd be OK with this decision. It's definitely not optimal, but understandable.

In any other situation, however, I'd be strongly against this decision. If Klei really wants to act like a stereotypical private company and treat the maximization of profit as their only goal, then I'd rather see EA being introduced instead of Tencent. Yeah, imo Tencent is that awful.

What it boils down to is an ideological choice. They are extremely infamous for horrible monetization scheme, shady relationship with CCP, depressing aesthetic taste, and ignorance or indifference towards the general political stance of players around the world. Censorship and harmonization is, as most Chinese enterprises nowadays, in it's gene. I hate Tencent. I've seen so many great games and developers inside and outside China being destroyed by Tencent. And I'll NEVER trust any Chinese company in their long-term business decisions, especially when its about creativity freedom.

TL;DR - I'm mostly not OK with this. 

But what done is done. As long as Klei keeps itself from implementing bullcrap censorship or shady monetization or ugly distasteful skin and stuff, I'll keep supporting this beloved company. It deserves our trust, at least for now.

6 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

Oh, no what are you going to do? Are you simply going to stop playing Klei games forever as well or just never buy any again?

Heck no! I'm going to ruin them. As I said in the main thread, "I am part of the grass roots I will band together with the others and burn this field to the ground and salt the earth" I am going to do my part to warn people away from the games they have already released if they go through with this. Welcome to the dystopian future of game development, more content is being released every day than any person can consume in a lifetime, if you by sheer luck happen to catch the eye of the greater populace and create something that catches on you MUST be attentive to the fanbase because one moment of hubris causes THIS and every person who cared enough to boost you before will pivot and take you down.

No two ways about it I am hurting them just posting this. Every company, in it's valuation, includes brand recognition and good will as part of it's assets and ascribes monetary value to them. I may be taking bites worth hundredths of a cent but I am not alone.

7 minutes ago, Echo_Hotel said:

As I said in the main thread

what?you mean that thread thats like 35 pages long?

yeah i don't think many people saw what you said:lol:

also you really aren't hurting by just making a thread on their forums thats not how stuff goes 

if you really wanted to ruin them you would get some gigantic social media influencer to warn them about klei

also yes,you aren't alone but that doesn't mean that everyone stands with you 

POGCHAMP!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Echo_Hotel said:

No two ways about it I am hurting them just posting this. Every company, in it's valuation, includes brand recognition and good will as part of it's assets and ascribes monetary value to them. I may be taking bites worth hundredths of a cent but I am not alone.

1 hour ago, viberr said:

if you really wanted to ruin them you would get some gigantic social media influencer to warn them about klei

also yes,you aren't alone but that doesn't mean that everyone stands with you

Only need 21% of recent reviews to be negative to be branded with the Mostly Positive rating. Going from Overwhelmingly Positive to Mostly Positive is probably the equivalent of going from 5-star to 2-star rating on Yelp, and we know how things often go for places with 2 stars ;). On the other hand, although their PR in the west will suffer, they won't be financially ruined because Tencent has some deep pockets and the Chinese market is extremely lucrative.

...unless something like this were to happen, who knows.

Klei will likely need to keep its games from being dragged down by Tencent to avoid this but the outcome seems less likely to favor the western market, to say the least.

Edit: Oh btw the expansion doesn't have the positive review buffer that the base game has.

sorev.png.137bd0e321c0ab47d40b9068185b34e4.png

So I guess the guy above my post has never heard of movies that are considered box office flops that people still somehow throughly enjoy?

You think posting bad reviews about a game online is going to change how many people play it? Not at all.. in fact your intended results could end up having the opposite effects: you ever watched WatchMojo and how they have lists of “Bad reviewed Games that were actually good” you would just land Klei right there.

And in actuality probably garner them more advertisement then they themselves have EVER put out (and for completely free too that’s the best part)

Because people are going to be curious as to how it ended up on a list of “Badly rated games that are actually good.” And they will buy and judge it for themselves..

And then all your roots you speak of burning to the ground- Will have grown because of You.

This was the bit I was having trouble with, didn't understand why I kept hearing "investors were having to keep buying Gamestop stock at higher prices to cover losses"-

Short selling is a fairly simple concept—an investor borrows a stock, sells the stock, and then buys the stock back to return it to the lender. Short sellers are betting that the stock they sell will drop in price.

I didn't realize borrowing stock was an option, and I didn't realize selling borrowed stock was an option.

So the world's economy is basically a shell game taking place on a table made of Jenga towers. Nice.

6 hours ago, Echo_Hotel said:

Heck no! I'm going to ruin them. As I said in the main thread, "I am part of the grass roots I will band together with the others and burn this field to the ground and salt the earth" I am going to do my part to warn people away from the games they have already released if they go through with this. Welcome to the dystopian future of game development, more content is being released every day than any person can consume in a lifetime, if you by sheer luck happen to catch the eye of the greater populace and create something that catches on you MUST be attentive to the fanbase because one moment of hubris causes THIS and every person who cared enough to boost you before will pivot and take you down.

Crazy internet hero

There is better ways of wasting your time to save the planet or the people

How can you feel moral superior talking like this

You "will ruin them" sending bad reviews with your computer made with componends from the 3rd world ;)

1 hour ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Apparently Tencent has added a minority stake in Dontnod to it's portfolio-

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-01-27-tencent-acquires-minority-stake-in-dontnod

Take Two and/or EA could be next-

https://www.thegamer.com/tencent-rumor-buying-ea-take-two/

Your link lead me to this link 

https://www.thegamer.com/us-investment-ban-tencent/

And this link makes me happy.

Soon one needs to pay 1 Klei-Coin to reply to a post. 100 Klei-Coins give 1 free Kloot-Box. 50 Klei-Coins can also be converted to 2 Stinky-Silvers. A digital Pet from the Klei Auction House will cost 6 Stinky-Silvers, or discounted (only on Valentines Day) 120 Klei-Coins.

Archived