What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?

OMGkawaiiAngel

What is your opinion on Tencent's ownership of Klei?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe it's a good change?

we know who klei is, one of the best indie studios ever, i want they to improve, but not this way.

indeed, they probably have been very careful becouse they are selling their 15 years of hard work. i cant tell how much the studio must be important for the developers. 

and i dont believe klei would let any spyware or such in their games.

will klei recieve a lot of money?yes. can they use this money to make better games? yes. my opinion ? too risky.

i am very worried that in the long-term may turn against them. if tencent suddently decides to take over, who will protect klei? i voted "its not good" becouse i dont want any risk for the studio i love.

also, for those who say if your supporting klei you are supporting china, dont be like that. everything you do already supports china, if you boycott dont starve, those real harmed will be the canadians.

Spoiler

(and there goes my cool mind)

BUT i actually see advantage in boycotting newhome. that will help not to get dont starve's name dirty.

i refuse myself to consider it canonical, no matter what anyone say

5 minutes ago, VouMorrer said:

also, for those who say if your supporting klei you are supporting china, dont be like that. everything you do already supports china, if you boycott dont starve, those real harmed will be the canadians.

Hide contents

(and there goes my cool mind:)

BUT i actually see advantage in boycotting newhome. that will help not to get dont starve's name dirty.

That remembers me when in my country patriotic people (most of them fascist that dont know what they are talking about) complain about chinesse bussines and shops but later they buy their damn flags in chinesse shops

You can choice to dont buy klei stuff but that affects much less to china than a lot of stuff you can choice to do against them. As you said, klei is the little fish and tencent will survive even if klei ends in bankrupt

I really don't like it, i actually try to avoid supporting the CCP, just because it's near impossible for some of your money to end up going to the CCP it doesn't mean i can't try, i must also voice against them when i can, so i don't support the CCP and by extension Tencent and their property such as Klei.

22 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You can choice to dont buy klei stuff but that affects much less to china than a lot of stuff you can choice to do against them. As you said, klei is the little fish and tencent will survive even if klei ends in bankrupt

Consequences, but i doubt that will happen, Tencent isn't just burning money here, DST is one of the games with biggest numbers of players on Steam and maybe on console too, even just by pushing Klei in their local market is enough to keep them afloat, and if by some chance of fate the devs ended up leaving i would gladly give them all my support on any new projects not tied to Tencent.

6 minutes ago, Geiss said:

and if by some chance of fate the devs ended up leaving i would gladly give them all my support on any new projects not tied to Tencent.

Ye. I will keep playing dst but i dont know if i will buy stuff, i dont like this kind of corporations and less if they are the puppet of one of the worst countries (and sadly powerful) in the world . Anyways i mostly wanted to buy characters (i buy the characters in packs with skins and weave the skins with spools) but they didnt release any anyway. Sometimes i bough character skins to support klei but now i will think 2 times before doing anything

2 hours ago, Bandzia said:

Snippet

I am of the same opinion. From now on, my expectations are that new content must be 10/10. I've been playing DST for years and have even bought ONI since I support and love Klei but this action warrants a change to future updates that are expected or surpasses our hopes for the game.

Yeah this is not good. I could write a 1k page essay on why but there is obviously no point here. Let's hope Kleis "autonomy" is allowed to proceed for as long as possible.

And to those saying Majority Stake isn't ownership, ha.

If you read a bit here-

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/finance/majority-shareholder/

you will notice that there are some comforting facts-- if the majority shareholder is a single person who legitimately cares about the product beyond the financial return.

Obviously not the case here.

The best way to "get a feel for the new order" would be to discuss China's attempted take over of Taiwan, and the FACT that Taiwan has the right to remain their own entity, separate of China. A fact I strongly believe, and would spread and discuss with every chance I got on any server/world I play on.

And that's as big of a target I can paint on myself in this thread without bleeding over into "off topic", which is only allowed for some on these forums (me not being one of them).

20 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Man that must be tough to deal with, you have my sympathy.

Yeah man it is tough. Almost as tough as going 45 minutes without telling everyone about how I uninstalled every Klei game and am boycotting Klei because a company bought majority stake in another company.

I mean, at the most basic level, it isn't a huge deal. I am hoping that the guys we know and love at Klei have benefited from this deal. Hopefully they have been positively impacted financially, and hopefully they will gain an increased ability to create games that we love. I am %100 sincere.

The deeper levels unfortunately involve the threat to the gaming market as more and more developers and creators are bought up and controlled by fewer and fewer companies, the suppression of free speech by those in control financially, and the advancement of the economic sphere as the primary location for waging war.

As an American, I'm fully aware my country pioneered, developed, and created much of the above. I acknowledge that. That doesn't make it right now.

9 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Almost as tough as going 45 minutes without telling everyone about how I uninstalled every Klei game and am boycotting Klei because a company bought majority stake in another company.

Oh that's not tough at all. I have 3 posts on the entire internet involving the topic.

But I really do feel your pain. If you want, i can go to all your favorite forums sites and ask people if they can stop campaigning against human rights abuses because you choosing to read sentences is having such a negative impact on your life.

6 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I mean, at the most basic level, it isn't a huge deal. I am hoping that the guys we know and love at Klei have benefited from this deal. Hopefully they have been positively impacted financially, and hopefully they will gain an increased ability to create games that we love. I am %100 sincere.

The deeper levels unfortunately involve the threat to the gaming market as more and more developers and creators are bought up and controlled by fewer and fewer companies, the suppression of free speech by those in control financially, and the advancement of the economic sphere as the primary location for waging war.

As an American, I'm fully aware my country pioneered, developed, and created much of the above. I acknowledge that. That doesn't make it right now.

Oh that's not tough at all. I have 3 posts on the entire internet involving the topic.

But I really do feel your pain. If you want, i can go to all your favorite forums sites and ask people if they can stop campaigning against human rights abuses because you choosing to read sentences is having such a negative impact on your life.

Being extremely disingenuous is a very compelling argument. You're really making Tencent look like the bad guys.

2 hours ago, VouMorrer said:

(and there goes my cool mind)

To be honest that game has some seriously strange marketting, on their Discord you are not allowed to talk about the game content or mention it by name. Isnt this what you want to make the game more exciting? Spread the word? It feels too shady for me 

I’m really surprised how much people has really strong anti-China feelings and this drives their concern (or even hate) over Klei dealing with Tencent.

The US has done and does many awful things outside their borders too yknow? And I’m entirely sure you’ve all bought DST through a North American retailer (Steam, PSN, XBoX, etc). And before anyone thinks about it no, I’m not against the US, and I’m not Chinese, Russian, Arab nor Communist. I just don’t care, and I don’t think by not buying a product you are making any difference to the political order. 

All this process should really not be politically influenced.

Klei will probably get more financial stability, and we will probably get better products. Or same quality products. It doesn’t matter, you were all cool about Klei until now. And if their quality lowers or they start taking wrong turns in their products we will all be upset, even if the tencent deal never happened. But that never happened before, and could not happen in the future. So for us, this should really change nothing.

Also as @ArubaroBeefalo said if you attempt to boycott Klei all you will get is just killing the games you love, neither Tencent nor the CCP will suffer a tiny bit for doing something like that. Klei are honest Canadian workers trying to do their best most likely. By purchasing a new hat skin you are still supporting them, their company, the games they make, and Klei workers, not a concentration camp in China. I think this has gone waaay too far off.

I voted for "I don't know". I'm not really worried about the political part, I don't like Tencent but they're not the devil. I just hope the game won't get microtransactions (well, it already has some, but you can obtain all the skins and DLC characters without spending real money outside of the game's cost, not to mention all the free gameplay content we're getting), but I trust Klei. They were working hard on these games, and they've been honest and generous all along - they more than tripled the number of gifts you can get per week so more people can get the DLC characters for free, and that's just one example. I highly doubt that they did all this to throw what they stood for out of the window. I guess we'll see what's gonna happen.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, it's not like Tencent owns Klei now, they just have a majority stake in Klei.

I'm just sad that Klei is no longer who they were.

Previously there were no strings attached. I could gladly buy a skin, character or, heck, even a new game, because I knew that my money was going to Klei, that I was supporting Klei's projects.

But right now- how am I supposed to know that my money is going to Klei and not Lol department, Fortnite department or Tencent's bussines taxes

So remember my first post? About how Tencent gets shares off Unreal Engine, Theres a HUGE point to be made off that: Tencent has shares into all these other companies & games.. & yet you wouldn’t even KNOW that if you weren’t actively looking for it.

In fact: I’m willing to bet that Klei could have possibly always had (significantly smaller) partnerships with Tencent that like every other company Opt’d to leave Silent.. Instead: Klei makes this announcement almost as if people working at Klei & people working at Tencent are close friends or maybe even actual family...

We don’t know all the In’s and Out’s of that deal, But I also think Klei & all of its staff would notice when things start going wrong if such an unfortunate occasion were to happen and if I know Klei: They not going to be that little kid who lets bigger kids bully them everyday without doing something about it.

I trust in Klei’s decision to announce this publicly simply because they could’ve Opt’d NOT to and no one would’ve ever been any wiser to it.

For all any of use know- Tencent could’ve had dealings with Klei since Klei’s very day it was formed.. 

I think we should all just relax a bit & wait to see what comes out of this: Fingers crossed it’s nothing but all good things! :wilson_love:

2 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

But right now- how am I supposed to know that my money is going to Klei and not Lol department, Fortnite department or Tencent's bussines taxes

Well, it'll definitely not go to Fortnite, dat's fo' sho :^)
It produced enough money as it is, and it'll prob be more likely that it will go the opposite, from Fortnite to Klei.

...but then again, Epic has the shittiest business decision, especially with their own games, so I'd doubt that too.

Archived