Do You Support the Idea of Character Swapping?

Do You Support the Idea of Character Swapping?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think?

• I don't like it.
    • I do like it.
    • I don't really use it and thus haven't developed a real opinion about it.
    • It's okay.

12 hours ago, Notecja said:

Before I say, what exactly I think about that - can somebody explain me a one complicated thing, how work changing worlds in DS in context of changing character? Can we use Wooden Thing in one of the worlds to change character for every other world? If yes, that means we always we had a feature or a way to change character in game without creating a new save and is not much different for DST and is nothing wrong with that. Even can't be rushed, because it require to survive 60-120 days.

Want to change character in your current world? Create a new save, choose the character, complete adventure mode. Go back to your world, complete the adventure mode there. Boom! 20+ hours of work and you got your character swap :P

personally haven't done it yet, but I probably will at some point. So yeah, the feature was always there. 

43 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Want to change character in your current world? Create a new save, choose the character, complete adventure mode. Go back to your world, complete the adventure mode there. Boom! 20+ hours of work and you got your character swap :P

personally haven't done it yet, but I probably will at some point. So yeah, the feature was always there. 

Wait is the throne consistent through save files? I always thought Maxwell was on the throne for everyone, Wilson is on the throne for Maxwell (when starting as Maxwell) and whoever beat adventure mode is on the throne for Maxwell (when switched to Maxwell after adventure mode)

48 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Oh I did it once and it took much less than 20h. But I didnt like playing Maxwell :").

But when I was "refreshing" Hamlet world it asked if I want to play current character or other. I didnt tried it because I was happy with current character. 

I never commit to a single character so I'm always changing. I think it's fun playing the same world with different skills and ways to manage. I play Maxwell, Wickerbottom, Wigfrid and Wormwood (And some times Wendy) pretty consistently swapping them around. I always plan to fit whatever gap is needed.

2 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

Wait is the throne consistent through save files? I always thought Maxwell was on the throne for everyone, Wilson is on the throne for Maxwell (when starting as Maxwell) and whoever beat adventure mode is on the throne for Maxwell (when switched to Maxwell after adventure mode)

The character is consistent. So you can free Walani as Woodie if you want :P

2 hours ago, Notecja said:

Oh I did it once and it took much less than 20h. But I didnt like playing Maxwell :").

But when I was "refreshing" Hamlet world it asked if I want to play current character or other. I didnt tried it because I was happy with current character. 

Good job then x.x It took me 10 hours playing nonstop to finish adventure mode as Wilson. Maybe I can do it quicker with other character but I haven't tried yet. 

Well, 

Celestial portal allows every character be used to do it's direct purpose, like Woodie - chopping wood/killing treeguards, Wendy - killing small mobs like spiders and monkeys, Wolfgang - killing bosses/other things that have many HP, Wormwood - planting many crops in a small area, Wickerbottom - using her book to harvest Wormwood's crops, Wigfridge - making her spears/helmets, Winona - building a Bee Queen/bunnyman/pig farm, Warly - cooking Volt-Goat Shaud-Froid and spiced foods, Wurt - building a merm farm. That's how celestial portal works and that's how I use it.

P.S.: Other characters are kinda useless in solo late game for a long term imo.

Game has many characters. Would be kinda silly to limit you to play just one character if you want to access the others. If people want to play just one character that's fine and good, but others should have the option to Wombo-Combo with multiple characters, especially if they are playing alone or are just few in number.

A multi-character guide for solo play might even be useful to some people.

7 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Honestly, a considerable cooldown would work as well. Like a season or so. My personal opinion is that the Celestial Portal should be used as a means of changing one's current playstyle—not quickly swapping to grab some boons of another character. This doesn't solve some characters (namely Warly & Winona) from being lackluster to stay selected as, but it would be a start.

At first I thought it should have an in game year penalty of cooldown, but yeah that would be too harsh really, I think a 20 days cooldown would be okay.

Like most raid bosses, that respawn every 20 days. Except that here it would be 20 days "played" for your character, and not of the world existing.

8 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Basically what everyone else is saying. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so easy to obtain.

Honestly, a considerable cooldown would work as well. Like a season or so. My personal opinion is that the Celestial Portal should be used as a means of changing one's current playstyle—not quickly swapping to grab some boons of another character. This doesn't solve some characters (namely Warly & Winona) from being lackluster to stay selected as, but it would be a start.

I don't find Warly lacklustre at all. He is a fun challenging character with huge perks.

3 hours ago, BeeClops said:

If you don't like something that you aren't force to use/do, why care?

because videogames are designed around challenges. challenges are a derivation of balance.

why should players bother playing without catapults or abi or battle helms or weregoose when they can just switch instantly with no downside? why have downsides at all?

you can make your own server filled with mods that make the game easy, it's your call. nobody cares. 

however whenever balance is being adressed it implies the stock game where you do not have control of the server settings. DST has a default state Klei balances around and that's usually the rules used by most public servers.

it really shouldn't be this hard to grasp the basics of playing a online videogame, wheter your opponents are live people or computers.

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

because videogames are designed around challenges. challenges are a derivation of balance.

why should players bother playing without catapults or abi or battle helms or weregoose when they can just switch instantly with no downside? why have downsides at all?

you can make your own server filled with mods that make the game easy, it's your call. nobody cares. 

however whenever balance is being adressed it implies the stock game where you do not have control of the server settings. DST has a default state Klei balances around and that's usually the rules used by most public servers.

it really shouldn't be this hard to grasp the basics of playing a online videogame, wheter your opponents are live people or computers.

The thing tho is there are plenty of points in the game that destroy balance like stone fruits, kelp, meatballs, mob infighting wars, and werepig manure farms just to name afew and that's before character perks balance in dst is subjective really.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, Dr. Safety said:

I've made arguments for how character swapping effects Warly and Winona as characters whose whole upside is to make things that anyone can use or benefit from, and I feel at this point I'm just beating a dead horse.

Wondering how Warly could be rebalanced in that regard. You'd have to make it so the only way a non-Warly could get the buff food was for a Warly to feed it to them.

I've never had much interest in swapping characters. I've used the portal 1 time over the 4 or so years I've played. I wanted to try getting into a new character, picked Wolfgang, ended up with a world I really liked, and ended up absolutely hating Wolfgang, as I did the first time I used him years ago. So I swapped. It was probably in year 2 of the world, but I don't remember exactly. I honestly don't see myself using the portal again.

My opinion on swapping is to each their own. I don't see any DST leaderboards, I haven't seen any clan vs clan DST tournaments, I don't see my KDR displayed anywhere on my profile.

If you are worried about the supposed balance, don't use the portal or set your own personal stipulations for when you yourself can use it. If someone uses it in a world you are also playing in and you really don't like it, don't play with that person.

Problem solved.

No one is going to level up faster than you by swapping, no one is going to obtain some gnarly high level gear to stomp you down by swapping. We aren't playing a tactical shooter. I think it's extremely silly that people have such a problem with the mechanic. This ties into the "cheese/glitch" thread from.....the begining of the year I think it was. One person's cheese is anothers valid tactic. I see no reason to sidetrack the devs with something each individual player can police for themselves, by themselves. It comes down to some people having a problem with how other people play a non-competitive game. It's a bit obnoxious.

There's an old saying-

"mind your own business"

to each their own, but if other people want to character swap (or not), why does it matter if it isn’t directly affecting how you play? don’t bother with why someone else is having fun playing the game in a way that you don’t agree with.

with that being said, i only ever play in long term worlds as solo, duo, or trio (with friends) and i love it. i love character swapping. we have all of these survivors with different playstyles and perks that go along with them. i like to swap when my mood changes, or if there is a roll to fill in doing certain tasks. it’s fun for me. i wouldn’t want to stand around to chop a forest of trees for resources as wigfrid when i could just be lazy as heck and have maxwell’s minions do it for me in less time. i also enjoy swapping out whenever there are new character refreshes because i like seeing what has been changed (or not).

I normally play without character swapping, especially when I play Wes BUT recently I will also run some worlds utilizing character swapping to see what kinda of "best of best" things I can have.  I play solo so these are my two modes.  I rarely play other other people to experience "my friend is x" type game play.

I don't really like the feeling of character swapping.  I've posted about it here before, it just breaks the theming for me.  I really prefer to think of my worlds as "wes world" and "willow world" ect.  When I switch characters I get a lot of stuff in the same world but I lose the immersion in the game.

That said - I don't think anything happens with character swapping that I'd say is broken.  I wouldn't look down on anyone who character swapped to get certain advantages b/c really the advantage is nothing compared to having a player 2.

----------------

I read the thread and I wanted to say:

Some ppl suggest the Celestial Portal should be "late game."  Well tbh anyone who can get the moon rock and purple gem enough to put together Celestial Portal and idols to flagrantly swap characters can reach late game, why bother delaying them further in a sandbox game?  Don't starve is a game where the barriers are your knowledge and skill.  You do not need to grind xp and level up.  "Late game" is kinda a myth.  AFW speed run is completed in first autumn and you're worried about Celestial Portal *possibly* dropping early?

Some ppl suggest - higher resource cost - higher cd.  Honestly idc.  Whatever character you start as can get you situated to survive indefinitely as any character, even Wes.  So what is the purpose of enforcing this?  It won't make the game harder, it's just another barrier preventing you from doing what you have the knowledge and skill to do.  On one of my worlds I have a bundle wrap with 4 full stacks of bacon and eggs, and another with 2 stacks of perogies a ham bat and bone helm.  Do you really think being stuck as <character x> for a season does anything more than delay me a season from completing the decoration I'm putting together?

There are already times in the game where I literally AFK b/c I'm waiting for some event, and you're suggesting I afk an entire season b/c I need to switch characters?

ps - I answered "Its okay."  I neither really like it, or really dislike it.  I feel its a good feature, probably more for ppl not like me, but I do not believe it allows *anything even remotely* as powerful as some ppl claim in this thread.  A good second player will always be more valuable than Celestial Portal.

I think it’s kind of pointless TBH.. not the character swap but rather the Celestial Portal itself.

What I mean by that is if you REALLY want to swap characters and have access to all their perks then you can do that faster and more effectively by just playing Wilderness Mode, the Mode where players who die are returned to a character select screen to pick another character & spawn somewhere randomly in the world.

So finding meteor, getting orb, crafting Celestial upgrade, gathering the 20 moon rocks+ Purple Gems needed- All of that becomes such a pointless meaningless endeavor when you can play wilderness and achieve the same results in significantly less time.

So your left with- Why does it exist? And if it was made HARDER like people seem to suggest it should be, then people will just play Wilderness mode (which they should already be doing anyway) to get ALL the benefits of Character Swap with 0% of the hoop jumping through tasks to do it.

So conclusion: Why should Klei waste development time and resources making this feature harder to set up and get if players can just bypass all that effort altogether by playing Wilderness? Why take development time away from the new content that’s being added.. to fix something that in all honesty doesn’t really even need fixing?

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

-snip-

In wilderness mode you lose map progress and all recipies and it would really suck if you had something like a bundling wrap or mushroom lamps. I mean sure, you can get a map from cartographer's table and then prototype everything again, but I would argue that it's even more of a hassle than setting up the celestial portal.

I love this feature, even though I used it maybe twice in my whole playtime. It doesn't limit me to just one character per world and allows me to keep all the progress I got so far. It also helped my friends who were just starting out. Imagine being stuck with a difficult character on your first playthrough. My friend didn't have to imagine. Thankfuly we made the portal and he switched to something much more manageable.

I feel like the issue here isn't with the celestial portal, it's with the gamer attitude of "if it's in the game then I have to use it, even if I don't like it," I've seen that a lot with bundling wraps and catapults. But really, I assure you, you don't have to. Rather than enforcing a 20 day cooldown on literally everyone playing DST, which would cause some people like me to effectively lose a feature they enjoy, why not just enforce that 20 day cooldown on yourself?

Well, i like Wilbur (from SW) because of the speed, but DST don't have Wilbur so i have to main Wolfgang because of the Dmg, but i'm kinda like Maxwell because of fast resource gathering, then Woodie reworked came up, and he have all three things i like (Speed as a goose, Str as a Moose, Chop things as a beaver), but he kinda mediocre in every aspects, and klei won't buff him enough so mod had to be install, and Woodie Unchained [UPDATED] by Noddharath kinda get the job done. (although i still have to make some tweak, like buff Moose's charge dmg to 300%, and 1 charge can hammer anything (house, tree. rock...) down to pieces. Man i never have so much fun playing DST like this time, line up a bunch of spiders, Killer Bee or hounds as a Weremoose then charge through them and evething die supper fun (for me).

Guess i'll main Woodie (with that mod) for now.

P/s: All i wish now that Lucy has a skin that a combine of an axe, pick axe, and shovel so i can Legitimately mod Lucy (now deal 69 dmg, Who doesn't like 69?!) to do all three basic tasks, only then Woodie is completed (for me).

Spoiler

Something like this but with a shovel instead of the pry bar at the other end.

paratechaxe3.jpg

2 hours ago, Psychomaniac said:

)

Woodie is already one of the best characters, doesnt need any buff (and his charge is so powerfull that can get rid of any amount of spiderqueens, monkeys, etc without receiving damage). Is the most versatil character

Also the topic is about celestial portal thing that, if you play woodie,might no need because of how much stuff he can do for almost free

Archived