Do You Support the Idea of Character Swapping?

Do You Support the Idea of Character Swapping?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think?

• I don't like it.
    • I do like it.
    • I don't really use it and thus haven't developed a real opinion about it.
    • It's okay.

Before I say, what exactly I think about that - can somebody explain me a one complicated thing, how work changing worlds in DS in context of changing character? Can we use Wooden Thing in one of the worlds to change character for every other world? If yes, that means we always we had a feature or a way to change character in game without creating a new save and is not much different for DST and is nothing wrong with that. Even can't be rushed, because it require to survive 60-120 days.

Personally I don't see character swapping as a issue as dst isn't competitive it doesn't really take anything away from the world or characters and for the people who claim that it makes other character's worse I'll just say if a character is good enough that your willing to character swap to use their ability then it merely shows how valuable they are.

It's weird. Whenever I get bored of playing a character, I usually start a new world and return to the old one when I want to play that character again, but I can 100% understand that some people would like to play the same world but with a different character, so on one hand, I'm glad we have this option. On the other hand, many people exploit character swapping with characters like Warly (useful unique items, but a significant downside), but after all, these people only ruin the game for themselves (the one thing that annoys me is that some would often manure-talk Warly-esque characters because their upsides are easy to exploit like this). Overall, I think character swap is OK, although I use it extremely rarely. And I agree with the people who say the Celestial Portal should be locked after and endgame(-ish) achievement.

Character swapping is a VERY powerful tool that in my opinion comes way too early, if you are lucky. It's entirely RNG related but you are guaranteed to get it by at least (if I recall) day 60 which, keep in mind, is worst case scenario. It's possible to get it in your first autumn which is HUGE. I also see the need for it and it sucks to say "this is a multiplayer cooperative game so we can't balance it around people who prefer solo", but that statement does hold some value when it comes to balance.

I've made arguments for how character swapping effects Warly and Winona as characters whose whole upside is to make things that anyone can use or benefit from, and I feel at this point I'm just beating a dead horse. Just to recap, I feel as though character swapping separates those characters from their upsides making actually playing as the character almost invalid, as you can just gather the resources as any character, switch to them, make their things, and then switch back.

In a game like this, character swapping is inevitable. I just wish it was implemented in the end game, as well as give Warly and Winona a somewhat decent upside outside of their crafting (I don't count Winona's speedy crafting speed or free hit from Charlie "decent" enough)

38 minutes ago, Well-met said:

it's ok but the orb needs to be a endgame thing. Not a day 4 meteor field trip.

Bro, just play Wilderness mode and achieve the same results in relatively short fashion.. without needing to find an orb, without needing to upgrade portal to celestial portal, and without needing to craft a moon idol to character swap. 

People tend to forget that this game has more ways of playing beyond just standard survival mode.

In fact if you just want to use particular characters items/structures FOR Base decorations.. then Wilderness Mode is the fastest most effective way of achieving that.

It's great being able to use everything the game has to offer. What I think that makes it OP is having a relatively low cost and replenishing all stats. Before it was a feature, I thought it would have something along the lines of houndius shootius-crafting level of difficulty.

Also, being sent back to the character select screen makes it lose a bit of charm but maybe that's just me.

Yeah I agree with everyone here that says that it needs to be a end game craftable, but my question is at what station? My initial idea from about a year ago were to fuse the (at the time) two celestial crafting tables and thus have the player be forced to go jump through that many hoops to obtain a single item, but now i think we can go even further with it. The official item code for the item is "moonrockseed" and thus I feel that it could be dropped by whatever the mysterious energy thing is and thus be locked behind the same progression to fight fuelweaver, to unlock a equally or even more powerful item (in comparison to the broken bone armor). I do feel that having the option to swap characters should be a thing in dst, but it should also be a huge pain in the ass to do so that you can't abuse it without having to go through that initial trade off of all that time and resources spent on getting the alters and fighting bosses.

22 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Yeah I agree with everyone here that says that it needs to be a end game craftable, but my question is at what station? My initial idea from about a year ago were to fuse the (at the time) two celestial crafting tables and thus have the player be forced to go jump through that many hoops to obtain a single item, but now i think we can go even further with it. The official item code for the item is "moonrockseed" and thus I feel that it could be dropped by whatever the mysterious energy thing is and thus be locked behind the same progression to fight fuelweaver, to unlock a equally or even more powerful item (in comparison to the broken bone armor). I do feel that having the option to swap characters should be a thing in dst, but it should also be a huge pain in the ass to do so that you can't abuse it without having to go through that initial trade off of all that time and resources spent on getting the alters and fighting bosses.

doesn't need to be a craftable. Just an Endgame item

4 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

doesn't need to be a craftable. Just an Endgame item

Well no, but making so that the items need to be remade in order to use them does make them slightly more balanced and makes the player's decision to have a little more weight then to have literally none. it would also make it so that the moon orb remains relevant even after you have the celestial portal set up.

If I'm being honest I've never used the portal before but I don't particularly see the need to balance it or make someone jump thru hoops yes it trivializes a character's downsides but again that's the player's fault not the game's there are plenty of ways and interactions that trivalize the game's difficulty without relying on character perks it's just whether a person chooses to take advantage of them it doesn't take away from character's themselves.

i am of two minds on the matter. on one end in my solo games i have never used it and do not have any intention of ever using it. i main for a reason and swapping seems to feel a bit too laissez faire for me to want it even though my base worlds could probably be improved by doing so

on the other end i also mod a pub and i really adore being able to cycle through wes, wortox, walter and most recently willow and wurt(though i cannot manage at all as wurt, ha) depending on who is playing at the time and what job i need to do. there is something brilliant about being a nomadic wortox jumping in after a scrape to do the healing before wandering back away againor catching people off guard being a base-building willow at portal and twice now i was caught up in a walter-only party which is ridiculously fun until you lose track of whose woby is whose, haha

perhaps though that isnt a helpful opinion since it doesnt really sit on any one side of the matter

Does anyone actually go through the trouble of switching characters just to get their stats back up? When they can do the same thing 6 times with a tent? 

I saw some people also complaining about it resetting touch stones, but touch stones are pretty bad late game anyways and I'd like a way for touch stones not to be completely useless after using them once.

Like others have said, I think it would be cool if there was a more consistent late game way to get it, maybe on one of the tiny lunar island pieces?

Basically what everyone else is saying. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so easy to obtain.

Honestly, a considerable cooldown would work as well. Like a season or so. My personal opinion is that the Celestial Portal should be used as a means of changing one's current playstyle—not quickly swapping to grab some boons of another character. This doesn't solve some characters (namely Warly & Winona) from being lackluster to stay selected as, but it would be a start.

40 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Basically what everyone else is saying. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so easy to obtain.

Honestly, a considerable cooldown would work as well. Like a season or so. My personal opinion is that the Celestial Portal should be used as a means of changing one's current playstyle—not quickly swapping to grab some boons of another character. This doesn't solve some characters (namely Warly & Winona) from being lackluster to stay selected as, but it would be a start.

Great idea! While I love switching from Warly to Wolfgang (OP!!!!!), I love playing as Warly for an in game year. It's fun to have a completely new playstyle.

Archived