[Poll] On Food Sources Redux

WES STOP EATING ALL OUR FOOD WES PLS  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most useful individual food sources? (part 1)

2. 2. What are the most useful individual food sources? (part 2)

3. 3. 2. What are the most effective combined food sources?

• Wickerbottom-boosted plants farms
    • Spider Dens in a Bunny Village
    • Spider Dens in a Pig Village
    • Spider Dens in a Wurt Merm Village
    • Tentacle Traps (whether natural or by On Tentacles) w Spider Dens/Merm Huts nearby
    • Meat Farms + Drying Racks
    • Lureplant Farm + BotW
    • Lureplant Farm + Bee Farm
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)

For the most effective combined food sources I voted "other", cause I find Wicker's tentacle traps + 3 bunny hutches to give me everything I need. (Wasn't in the options.)

It's a daily supply of veggies and meat that you just need to pick up from the floor (as long as you pay attention to not get hit by the tentacles). 3 bunny hutches near base means I'm always stocked and never need any other source of food.

tips: I first read the book 2 or 3 times at once so the tentacles defeat all 3 bunnies every night consistently for the first... 7 days (if I'm remembering well). For the next days the drops will start getting a bit less consistent (but the stock from previous days will still be large), and only after the bunnies finally kill all the tentacles, I read it 2 or 3 times again, and so on. You don't have to fence it, it works great even without fencing. Just make the setup near your base. I'm not sure if it functions while you're too far away. And besides, you're gonna be walking back and forth from it pretty often.

And either wear armor, or don't get greedy trying to pick everything at once.

Berry bushes aren't great. You pick each one for 12 hunger or meatballs which is another step to eat them. I prefer leaving them wild. Disease free, adds character to the world and can usually be in the right spot at the right time. Even when baseless, you can usually get a surplus of food when just fighting or crockless. 

On a team however, if you get a woodie, stonefruit has berries beat to dust. Not only a good source of raw food, a good source of pierogi ingredient + filler. And each sprouting stonefruit discovered becomes disease free when planted. To me, berry bushes dug up isn't a food source that fantastic contrary to what the votes have you believe 

Not to mention stonefruit grow in winter. Berries do not

Can't really beat bunnymen, kelp, honey and spider nests imo. They are all efficient enough to allow you to devote time to activities you might enjoy more.

I will say, however, that fishing and barnacles are underappreciated. Obviously, they're not the epitome of efficiency, but in my experience, any food source you establish past the first two is more of a luxury anyway. But the thing that makes them great is that you can make Surf n Turf using 1 Wobster/Big Fish + 2 Barnacles + 1 Monster Meat. In other words, once you got a barnacle farm up and running, you can convert big fish (or wobsters) into Surf n Turf at a 1:1 ratio and I'm personally a huge fan of running around with bundled stacks of Surf n Turf.

I feel a lot of people sleep on Barnacles cause Sea Weeds seem pretty tough to fight, but they are sitting ducks during night. Attacking one Sea Weed will not wake up the others and individual Sea Weeds can be safely stun locked to death. So you can kill a bunch, replant the sea sprouts in a cluster of sea stacks near your base and visit once in a while to collect the stuff. Even better if you place some stationary boats to make going from sprout to sprout more convenient. If you get 20-30 sea sprouts, that translates to 60-90 barnacles every ~7 days.

If you use spider dens for bunny farms the spiders will eat the meat and over time the results of the farm will vary due to spider dens changing levels and potentially multiplying. You can make a trap using anenemys that has neither of these issues, but that's a lot of work and I find just causing infighting to be more than sufficient.

I'd say the most powerful food source is bunnymen if you look at everything. Bunnymen are easy to set up, easy to get a ton of drops from, nearly automatic, always ready. Other powerful choices include kelp that you push together, stone fruit bushes, honey, or Wickerbottom next to plants such as cacti, lichen, or juicy berry bushes. All of those require something extra that bunnymen don't, though, and bunnymen give you items to refill all of your stats easily where the other sources may be more limited. There's obviously more to it than this but I think this is a decent enough summary.

Lureplant farm + BotW? Breath of the Wild? I'm sure I'll feel real silly when I figure out/remember what that stands for.

Personally I like to combo Bull Kelp stalks and Canaries; you can harvest the stalks every 3 days (and you usually have anywhere from 25-40 stalks if you're lucky during world gen) and farming Canaries with boomerangs with help you amass a ton of morsels very quickly, which in turn guarantees you a healthy amount of Meatballs even if you run low of normal resources.

Yeah I can see "Merm huts with tentacles nearby" 'cos the tentacles won't EAT the drops, and you can, if you're careful, just stroll through and get yourself some nice free fish and frog legs.  But spiders and pigs...?  You won't even get pigskins!  And I _like_ pigskins!  Pigskins make umbrellas and armour you can wear all the time without having to take your backpack off!  (And yes, hambats...I usually just end up eating any big meat I happen to get.  I mean, like, in recipes.)

Seems like a lot of my choices were HELLA unpopular.  Huh.  I do agree with leaving berry bushes where they are, though.  Always do.  No fertilization,disease, and if lightning hits one it doesn't wipe out HUGE amounts of them at once, if they're not all together in rows.  I just tend to live where berry bushes already are nearbyish and go to them.  Optimal food supply?  No.  Nice supplement to have?  Yes.

...Notorious

Oh Bunnies, by far the most superior food source, two carrots and one big meat DAILY, per bunny. Oof, nothing compares.

But that really depends, I like to think I main Wigfrid and having bunnies around is the best for her. For any other character, butterfly wings are the best food early game, moving on to bee boxes late game, hunger and healing in a single gulp.

Since the last update I've been enjoying leafy meat a lot. I have 40 bulbs in a farm and that always gives me more food than I can do with.

Imo

Bunnymens, kelp, stone fruit and bee boxes are the god tier level of food

Werepigs are so good

Hounds will provide a lot of monster meat.

Berries are good enough because they spawn gobblers, if not they are time consuming and not that good

Crop Farms are nearly useless

If we take in count autofarms, then the only farms that are worth are: bunnymen+pigs+stonefruit/kelp+bees

Everything else will be eclipsed by those

A combination I didn't see listed in the final part was a Bunnyman/Merm farm. Not super efficient but fun and unique, the merms and bunnymen fight every dusk and you run through and grab all the fish, frog legs, meat, puffs and carrots and kill any survivors. Merms and Bunnys wont touch any of the meat or puffs but will eat the carrots. Decent for Wig cause it gives you sanity for killing the survivors. Nice way to get a decent amount of fish without having to actually go fishing.

Also maybe even killing bosses should be included? if you keep killing dfly often thats 8 meat each time which is not bad. Deer and Bear also give 8 too don't they?

Moose is the best though giving meat and drumsticks and each baby giving another piece of meat and drumstick. 

You obviously wouldnt rely on this as a main source of food but if you are killing dfly regularly and always kill the seasonal giants (you can take out like 4 moose goose flocks in one spring and amass loads of food, more so if you use pigs/bunnys to kill them) it gives you a ton of additional food.

Birchnut trees are underrated. They aren't the best source of food but Trail Mix is an insanely easy heal food early game if you don't have eggs for piergoies. 30 hp from just simply 2 cooked birchnuts and 2 berries, both which are extremely easy to get in any season except winter. 

6 hours ago, thegreatJash said:

Birchnut trees are underrated. They aren't the best source of food but Trail Mix is an insanely easy heal food early game if you don't have eggs for piergoies. 30 hp from just simply 2 cooked birchnuts and 2 berries, both which are extremely easy to get in any season except winter. 

its great and you dont even need 2 birchnuts, with 1 and fillers can be done so choping few trees in early days helps a lot characters like warly or wurt

Archived