[Poll] On Food Sources

Food Source Poll 27/01/2020  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most useful individual food sources?

• Berry Bushes (inclusive of Gobbler Spawns)
    • Birdcage Eggs
    • Spider Dens (inclusive Spiderhat/Webber tactics)
    • Pig Houses (inclusive of werepig transformations/farm setups/war)
    • Bunny Houses (inclusive of farm setups/war)
    • Fishing (whether if in ponds, the Lake or the sea)
    • Wickerbottom's Birds of the World
    • Mushroom Farms
    • Fairy Rings
    • Farms (improved/Basic)
    • Wormwood seed plots
    • Hound Mounds (inclusive of Dreadfort Setpiece)
    • Frog Rain
    • Tallbird Nests (inclusive of Dreadfort Setpiece)
    • Desert Cacti
    • Lureplants (Leafy Meat)
    • Hunting (inclusive of Hunt Surprises)
    • Bee Boxes
    • Stone Fruit Bushes
    • Other (do list in the comments!)
  2. 2. What are the most useful combined food sources?

• Wickerbottom-boosted Berry bush, Stone Fruit Tree and Farm area
    • Wickerbottom-boosted Berry bush, Stone Fruit Tree and Wormwood planting area
    • Spider Dens in a Bunny Village
    • Spider Dens in a Pig Village
    • Spider Dens in a Wurt Merm Village
    • Tentacle Traps (whether natural or by On Tentacles) w Spider Dens/Merm Huts nearby
    • Meat Farms + Drying Racks
    • Lureplant Farm + BotW
    • Other (pls do note in the comments!)
  3. 3. What is the most useful food type? (Regardless of character restriction [e.g. Wurt/Wigfrid])

Pretty much spiders and fillers. I know "fillers" is pretty vague but whateverrr.....

Also, the most useful food was a hard one for me. I wanted to pick vegetables because they can be used to make a lot of useful stuff *COUGH* pierogis...

But I had to pick meat because my inner Wigfrid override your statement about not letting that happen.... Whooops....

Bunny farm with tentacles for pierogi or Warly. Otherwise, just pure honey through bee boxes. Most useful food are probably meat, they can cover all 3 stats, you can find them everywhere at any season, you can make auto farms even near Ruins where sunlight doesn't appear, many good recipes use them, they are pretty useful throughout early to end game, the only downside is that its still more time consuming than honey if all you need is hunger in the late game if you happen to miss a full moon and the animation for eating meat is too long.

Splemonkey farms and merm houses (merm wars) should be included in first question.  Splemonkeys are really underrated imo and give very good loot, as they can be an automatic nightmare fuel and beard hair (good for fire) farm as well as a meat and banana farm if you have a character that can automate it.

10 minutes ago, cantbeatdaboss said:

Splemonkey farms and merm houses (merm wars) should be included in first question.  Splemonkeys are really underrated imo and give very good loot, as they can be an automatic nightmare fuel and beard hair (good for fire) farm as well as a meat and banana farm if you have a character that can automate it.

True this, i had lots more in mind, but i could only fit the first nineteen examples which came to mind and the (others) choice in the first question :/ thanks for pointing this out :D

Question 3 does not have Ice as an option so I just went with Other, Seriously if your not using Meat or Berries + 3 Ice.. your playing this game wrong.

(though they really should probably nerf Ice so that 3 Ice combined with ANYTHING turns to Wet Goop but that’s just my personal Opinion..)

For best "combined food source" I would have said Wickerbottom + stuff except since the addition of stonefruit I really don't need her.  They grow fast enough, and provide so much crops, and with their stone form have endless storage time, that I am overwhelmed with food and simply do not need her books.  Because stonefruit bushes have 3 stages of growth her books are less efficient with these as well.  Before stonefruits she was OP, now? not so much.

What I set up that I feel is the best combined food sources is a Rocklobster + Spiders farm, birdcage, and stonefruit bushes.  The rocklobsters completely automate the spiderfarm without any danger to you, you can recycle some meat into eggs.  This gives you endless meatballs or endless perogies pretty easily.  A honey farm could be more OP if you just wanted food but the monster meat helps transform pigs to harvest more pig skins, and the spiders also means endless silks.  Also with bee queen crown sanity isn't an issue while harvesting mid-spider fight.

I think cactus are a great food stuffs for the first few seasons because they provide vegi for perogies and sanity if cooked.  I'll usually gather up some of these before Deerclopse spawn so I can recover my sanity during / after the fight.  They stop being important after the first year when I've set up other measures though.

35 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Question 3 does not have Ice as an option so I just went with Other, Seriously if your not using Meat or Berries + 3 Ice.. your playing this game wrong.

(though they really should probably nerf Ice so that 3 Ice combined with ANYTHING turns to Wet Goop but that’s just my personal Opinion..)

Until stonefruits were added I would have agreed with you, but now that we have stonefruits I would much rather use them as universal filler and just not harvest ice every winter.  I only use ice a little bit for food, and for flingos, but then I stop using ice all together now.  My winters are much better with that chore off the list lol

I find meat-based dishes to be the most useful for hunger with dishes like meaty stew, bacon and eggs, honey ham and meatballs all being pretty good at providing it. Fish based food (and yes, fish is its own food type if eggs and fruit are considered their own food type) tends to give a lot of health, with Surf n Turf giving 60 and Fish sticks giving 40. Cooked cactus flesh and cooked green caps are good at providing sanity. Other factors like spoilage time or obtaining method make specific instances of some food types useful in their own way, like stone fruit or honey.

For that I can't say I consider any single food type to be the most useful. The viability of the different kinds of food the game offers is part of what makes the game so much fun to me and the 3rd question in this poll not make much sense to me.

As for individual food sources, I think bunnyman farms hold the most potential for late-game food farming. They start out a bit slow, but their efficiency increases the more hutches you build. They provide both meat and carrots, the former of which can be turned into eggs to unlock an even bigger variety of foods. With just a bunnyman farm you can efficiently get both healing and hunger.

I've personally found combining spiders and pigmen to be effective too. Not wars, no, both mobs eat all the loot bar the silk and glands. I mean killing both yourself. There's lots of ways to farm spiders efficiently, and with all the monster meat you get from a good farm you can create werepigs. With werepigs you get regular meat and pig skin, and with spiders you get monster meat, silk and glands. It's a good way to get both food and essential resources.

Recently, I've been looking for a change of pace from the regular DST gameplay so I decided to focus on the latest updates' content. Hook, Line & Inker gave the ocean a lot to offer. The addition of sea fish and populating the Malbatross's shoals with Deep Bass gives the ocean a relatively consistent food source. As long as you can find multiple shoals, you can sail from shoal to shoal and catch deep bass, mudfish and koi (during the lunar new year event) for food. Tin Fishin' Bins keep it fresh forever, and a saltbox can help store kelp fronds and excess fish meat for when all your boat's tin fishin' bins are full. Building a boat with only fishin' bins at your base can let you store a large amount of fish from fishing trips. Overall, I think fishing in the ocean is a very viable way of getting food, even if it's outclassed by other food sources.

Last food source I wanna mention is farms. I feel like the main problem with them is that each individual farm is incredibly expensive, and the reward it gives is too little to justify investing time into it. Most food sources will give you enough food and time to survive while building them, but building farms is a constant grind for grass that it takes forever to make it feel worth the effort. Not to mention, even if you have an infinite amount of farms and instant growth speed, it's still such a grind to actually make food off of it. This scenario is represented in Wormwood's ability to plant seeds on the ground and Wickerbottom's ability to instantly grow them. Even in such a scenario, harvesting the crops, feeding the right mount to a caged bird, picking up all the seeds and replanting them takes so long that I think it should be avoided just so that people can enjoy the game doing things other than farming crops through a repetitive process.

These are my opinions on some of the food sources I'm personally familiar with.

47 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I wouldn't say not using a certain strategy is "playing the game wrong"; DST's cooperative nature and wide variety of viable options makes it unnecessary to stick to the most efficient tactics available. Not to say they should be avoided, though... It's all just preference, really. It's all good as long as the game is being enjoyed.

I'd have included ice in the poll, since it never expires and is a very abundant filler, provided you take time to gather it during Winter.

If I'm playing Wendy, there will always be bee boxes. Just so easy to make, but rarely do I mess with it when I'm on other characters unless I've built everything else. I always make a werepig farm, unless I'm playing Wurt alone. Same with having a few near by spider dens or hound mounds. Although, if I'm Wurt & I'm playing with others, a spider den beside merms & a tentacle is an excellent way to feed everyone else. Also a couple of farms in the early days if there isn't a Wormwood, then everyone tends to go for stone fruit once we have found Moon Island. In the caves I always have a couple of mushroom planters. Usually 2-3 up top as well.

As much as I like building bunny hutches, I usually don't farm from them too much. They're certainly useful but with everything above, not needed. I love having a Wicker around but I never play her and I don't know too many people who do. My experience with her is mostly in pubs. 

Once you try a bunnyman farm for the first time, there is no going back. I have a really small one (~20 hutches) and I can't even eat all the food before it spoils, so I keep making meatballs and bundling them. Feels like cheating tbh. 

It technically works for Wurt as well, since you can amass stack of carrots in a min. 

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Ice, Honey, Birchnuts etc. are classified in Others, because that's how they are classified ingame.

And Crock Pot foods are not included because we're looking are unprocessed food sources here.

Plus your ice into meatballs recipe still requires meat, therefore making meat more impt.

6 hours ago, Misa22 said:

Once you try a bunnyman farm for the first time, there is no going back. I have a really small one (~20 hutches) and I can't even eat all the food before it spoils, so I keep making meatballs and bundling them. Feels like cheating tbh. 

It technically works for Wurt as well, since you can amass stack of carrots in a min. 

idk - I loved bunnyman farms but now that we have stonefruit bushes I prefer those + rock lobster / spider farm for my unlimited meats + vegies.  The bunny farm is still pretty good, but I think its not the best anymore.

1 minute ago, Owlrus98 said:

Honestly, I completely forgot about the existence of those mushroom-ring things that can spawn in the world by chance; haven't had any good luck in finding any for months.

They are very nice! And if they are red mushrooms you can just haunt them to green or blue so you get vegi filler or healing /sanity based on your needs.

In late game hound waves usually provide enough meat for me and my pals. We just craft tooth traps/catapults and then we sit through those waves. We have a stone fruit farm for fillers + improved farms for the occasions we need fancier food. Any excess monster meat we have gets fed to the bird for eggs or to pigs for normal meat and skin. We have quite a few sophisticated food farms but mostly we're too busy/lazy to maintain them when we have ridiculous amounts of monster meat just regularly running to our camp and trying to eat us. We have to deal with it somehow and it usually gives us more meat than we can consume so why bother to do anything else?

Kelp pushed along the shore is super good. Not only great filler but dried kelp helps with sanity. Bunny farm is without a doubt the best for of food, but kind of dangerous when you're trying to pick up carrots before the bunnymen eat them. Easy to accidentally pick up meat or even run out of allied bunnymen and attack..only to find out they're all against you. Honey is also important for how long it lasts and great little healing/hunger. Then a spider vs catapult or varg vs catapult farm for tons of monster meat.

Archived