a Creature players "fear"

Introduction:

Hi guys, Superwolfkid here at 12-1in the morning to ask a quick and interesting question for the community,

Warden from Minecraft

so , a bit of and on topic for this... topic we've recently gotten a news flash from Minecraft live 2020 (a different "survival" game, where they introduced an actually terrifying new creature in the game that is called the "Warden", a creature that can be found in the deepest "depths" of the caves where it lives near plants that "react" to the vibrations in the area (sound) this said creature is in fact, blind as it also reacts towards sounds the player makes around it, and when threatened, the mob will proceed to roar and actually "chase" and charge towards the player! This will all happen in near pitch black as well as the developers stated the lighting was for the video,

(Here's a clip of it recorded off my phone with a few other things) 

Also noting in fact that this mob can kill in two hits, with the strongest armor in the game!

A mob similar to this in Dont starve together?

So this mob gives a clear message "DO NOT MESS WITH ME!" This is something I always wanted in a survival game! A creature in the game that's probably not... too broken(stupid or unfair) , but it's something that can cause a huge amount of panic and stress from even a veteran/ late game player. And this "idea could maybe be interesting in Don't Starve, especially with the new ocean stuff coming soon, maybe a group of shadows or something stalk the player in certain areas where you have too follow their rules instead of yours, the only thing you don't feel in control of! Any thoughts or idea? Put them down, I'd love to hear them!

Mandrakes

Stay with me here - imagine a horde of sentient plant goblins yelling meep at you while you desperately look for a source of light, a twig or grass to spare you from the night - then BANG! Your'e hit. But not by Charlie - (you realized you had a miner hat on the entire time) instead by the Mandrakes beautiful eerie meep. Can't wait to make a panflute out of those silly things huh?

Pengulls used to be the scariest jumpscare when they jump out of water. Now they don't scare me that much. Though they are still menacing when you run past them at the end of winter (when they are starving and aggressive towards anything) and they start to attack you, possibly even stunlocking you to death.

52 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

Pengulls used to be the scariest jumpscare when they jump out of water. Now they don't scare me that much. Though they are still menacing when you run past them at the end of winter (when they are starving and aggressive towards anything) and they start to attack you, possibly even stunlocking you to death.

i didn’t realize they starved to death and thats why they were randomly attacking at the end of winter 

You mean like Klei’s very own created Screecher mod? Yeah I guess..

what your referring to however would be something similar to Nemesis from the original resident evil games a big.. ugly.. powerful thing that can’t ever be killed at all.

And now here’s the thing: for some newbie players and for myself at times.. that “Thing” can be considered Deerclops.

I am not ashamed at all to say that sometimes I’ve “failed” to kill Deerclops before it could Despawn when winter is over.

Something you can never kill and can only ever run away from sounds fun, but at the exact same time it could also become highly frustrating.

Look at Wavey Jones: When first released he brutally punished players for not having high Sanity AND even if you chased him off he continuously attacked your boat throughout the whole night.

NOW Wavey only spawns at ridiculously low Sanity, only spawns IF your on a Boat.. and can be ran off permanently for the full night after a few attempts.

Wavey WAS this thing your suggesting.. and Wavey was changed by Klei to be less punishing.

The thing is with every mob in any game that is to be “feared” and “respected” is that eventually people will get accustomed to that mob’s existence.

I can tell you for a fact that deerclops was designed to be one of those “uh oh” mobs where the players fear him strolling up to their base and casually destroy it, with high damage and health to boot.

Nowadays, people are more scared of someone eating the deerclops eyeball instead of deerclops himself. He’s the Day 30 piñata party.

I can promise you that the same thing is going to happen with the warden, initially he’s gonna be super frightening to encounter, but once you get accustomed to him, you will find ways to either dispose of him or outright ignore him.

It’s theoretically hard, or nigh-impossible to create this type of mob in any survival game.

For reference, you can also look at the cannibals in The Forest, and most horror games people play on YouTube. After hitting the 59th jumpscare, players tend to get more annoyed rather than scared.

May be a boss/mini bosses have special power similar to AFW- "mind control" or "panic attack" - causing players to deaggro form the boss then running at random direction in fear. It could be located in Lunar Island  and spawns when players havoc the Island only, so it won't disturb new players just join the game.

I remember an artwork from @minespatch representing a sort of reaper creature but extra spooky, I could imagine something like this being a sort of immortal guardian protecting an island or a restricted biome to collect important resources with the need of returning more than once at least. The game doesn't lack of scary mod I think, but it sure do miss some sort of constant threats (depending of the area) that some horror games included as a core mechanisms and it really do give an amazing atmosphere when something follow you in a building or else, survival games could only do better with this inspiration ! :D

List of creatures players do fear:

• 1st time playing DST: Charlie
  • Surviving their first days: Shadows
  • Surviving even more days: Hounds
  • Trying to survive winter: Deerclops
  • Entering the caves: Bunnyman
  • Entering the ruins: Splumonkeys, Broken Clockworks, Nightmares
  • Attempt to fight Fuelweaver: Fuelweaver
  • Sailing: Wavey Jones
  • Maxwell: Depths Worms

5 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

The thing is with every mob in any game that is to be “feared” and “respected” is that eventually people will get accustomed to that mob’s existence.

I can tell you for a fact that deerclops was designed to be one of those “uh oh” mobs where the players fear him strolling up to their base and casually destroy it, with high damage and health to boot.

Nowadays, people are more scared of someone eating the deerclops eyeball instead of deerclops himself. He’s the Day 30 piñata party.

I can promise you that the same thing is going to happen with the warden, initially he’s gonna be super frightening to encounter, but once you get accustomed to him, you will find ways to either dispose of him our outright ignore him.

It’s theoretically hard, or nigh-impossible to create this type of mob in any survival game.

For reference, you can also look at the cannibals in The Forest, and most horror games people play on YouTube. After hitting the 59th jumpscare, players tend to get more annoyed rather than scared.

Yeah, your kind of right about that honestly now that I think about is, whenever I think about creatures like this, a good example is the Guardians from Breathe of the wild

2143844247_download-2020-10-05T083542_312.jpeg.c22016505446b5ccd04df67b43eaa107.jpeg

At first just the genuine thought of running up to a fully active one is terrifying, the explosive shot from it out of nowhere, it's red light that will send players into a confused and panicked state, but as well the only downside for it, is that as your knowledge of the game and your skill increases, so does the "intimidating aura" these creatures have... they are suprisingly very easy to kill for such a big threat in the game, and if your skilled enough you could easily just stay still completely and just simply reflect it's Beam back with a shield as long as you know the timing well. So people people in the beginning see this mob as a "oh shoot, I need too stay away!" in the beginning of the game and then in late game people literally hunt them for a sport honestly, (see alot of videos where players trickshot them and ect)

Even more dissapointing when you already know what they do as for players who don't have a blind experience of them.

so I kind of agree that making a mob like this would be challenging, especially in a game where we see our survivors taking down bigger threats such as the Crab King, Acient Fuelweaver, even the shadow pieces.

Whenever i see a Rockjaw i feel anxiety. Their music also builds tension, not knowing if they will attack or not. Idk, maybe it is because i always feared sharks but imo they are pretty scary. Their attack pattern is still pretty unknown to me and the fact that they used to rotate the world indicates that they are more powerful than we thought :0

Edit: The death hounds resurrecting animation is also scary and morbid

1 hour ago, DaZoul said:

a "DO NOT MESS WITH ME" creature? I know something like that

Hide contents

"I fear no man"

"But that thing..."

Forráskép megtekintése

"...It scares me"

this guy is super cute... Look at its smile, he's so happy and fluffy. :") 

Witch from L4D, Golden Freddy from FNAF, Big brother from Bioshock etc... All of these characters became iconic in games and it feels you creep out to knowing there is something stronger than you around...

You are frackin right. But it should be mostly neutral to players. Maybe a long skinny creature look like Bigfoot.

He should eat all food on ground and crockpots while wandering around randomly. He should able to jump from walls and when any players not around, he should able to teleport. Sometimes, he should sit near to campfire and freak out players. All other mobs should be afraid from him and he should able to kill players immediately. And good drops of course.

11 hours ago, Superwolfkid said:

Introduction:

Hi guys, Superwolfkid here at 12-1in the morning to ask a quick and interesting question for the community,

Warden from Minecraft

so , a bit of and on topic for this... topic we've recently gotten a news flash from Minecraft live 2020 (a different "survival" game, where they introduced an actually terrifying new creature in the game that is called the "Warden", a creature that can be found in the deepest "depths" of the caves where it lives near plants that "react" to the vibrations in the area (sound) this said creature is in fact, blind as it also reacts towards sounds the player makes around it, and when threatened, the mob will proceed to roar and actually "chase" and charge towards the player! This will all happen in near pitch black as well as the developers stated the lighting was for the video,

(Here's a clip of it recorded off my phone with a few other things) 

Also noting in fact that this mob can kill in two hits, with the strongest armor in the game!

So this mob gives a clear message "DO NOT MESS WITH ME!" This is something I always wanted in a survival game! A creature in the game that's probably not... too broken(stupid or unfair) , but it's something that can cause a huge amount of panic and stress from even a veteran/ late game player. And this "idea could maybe be interesting in Don't Starve, especially with the new ocean stuff coming soon, maybe a group of shadows or something stalk the player in certain areas where you have too follow their rules instead of yours, the only thing you don't feel in control of! Any thoughts or idea? Put them down, I'd love to hear them!

One of my favourite experiences with this game, was the first time I ever made it to Winter back when the game was permadeath:

I was a noob, so without it knowing it, I had based somewhat closed to a Walrus camp. Because I had no Winter protection, I spent my days just hugging my fire pit surviving on what little food I had left.

When I had run out of food, I went out to explore and that's when I saw something in the corner of my screen...

A blue hound. I was really confused because I had never seen a white one before and it clearly wasn't a hound wave.

And then I saw them, the Mactusk brothers, they looked like hunters and they were slowly making their way towards me.

I couldn't even get a proper look at them, before they starting shooting at me and the hounds started barking and chasing me.

So I ran, but not to my base, I just ran as far away as possible because I genuinely thought that this game was amazing and that the developers had designed an AI that would hunt you across the map.

So I kept running across the country. I would have to stop for food and warmth, so I would camp by night and travel by day. I genuinely thought I was being hunted and that if I didn't move fast enough they would find me.

Obviously, I know realise that that was literally all in my head and that the AI is nowhere near as interesting as that, but at the time, that was a terrifying experience. It was like that film The Grey. It was the only time I was ever afraid of a mob.  

11 hours ago, Slagger said:

He should eat all food on ground and crockpots while wandering around randomly. He should able to jump from walls and when any players not around, he should able to teleport. Sometimes, he should sit near to campfire and freak out players. All other mobs should be afraid from him and he should able to kill players immediately. And good drops of course.

Sounds like Bearger but buffed.

Mob behavior design is actually my favorite part of DST, and the boss behavior specifically is the single biggest reason I choose DST over DS even for solo. They're all unique. I don't mean you kill them all differently. I mean they all behave differently. Dragonfly found a home. Bearger just wants to eat and sleep and only cares if you hit him or steal his food. Moose is a momma goose whose just stopping to brood. Antlion is a needy nag who demands that the tiny people bring her gifts. Deerclops is Deerclops and thinks every single structure is the most offensive thing she's ever seen.

Smaller mobs have unique behaviors too, but the bosses stand out for being more than just "big thing good loot go kill". For me, who likes to get lost in a world that feels alive, those unique behaviors make all the difference. As long as they keep doing that, I'll like whatever mobs they add.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:43 PM, Superwolfkid said:

Warden from Minecraft

Looks like the Enderman wasn't scary enough. The guy in that video was really hamming up how scared he was, though.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:43 PM, Superwolfkid said:

The "kills players in two hits even with the strongest armour" part is annoying, but scary enemies would be fine. The game's already got scary enemies, though. If you're a new player most things are scary, but even to an experienced player there's a few scary things. Shadow Splumonkeys, Depths Worms when you don't have armour on, pengulls and hounds on the lunar island, Dragonfly when she first flies in if you aren't expecting her, Dragonfly if you somehow stumble near her on accident... I could probably add more but you get the idea.

But nothing's scary forever. Even the things that are scary to experienced players get toned down pretty quick to not be that scary, and most of the time aren't at all. Even games which are crafted specifically to be horror games and nothing else aren't scary forever.

As some others have already said - I think the "scare" factor of mobs like this is a bit over hyped.  It wears off with exposure, eventually becoming either 1) completely irrelevant as you've altered your playstyle around them (or found a way to cheese them) or 2) you just get annoyed because you can't do anything about it showing up and ruining the things you actually enjoying doing in the game.

Archived