What would you want to see in a Wilson rework?

All of the characters are getting reworks. Since that entails not only lore (except Woodie :wilson_cry:), but also exclusive powers and constructions, I imagine Maxwell and Wilson will be getting them as well. I've seen a few people talk about this in other threads, but I'm curious to see what people want from it.

Me, personally, I don't want him changed drastically, as he is a good starting character. I think his reworks should effect late game as opposed to being easily activated abilities. I saw ideas for exclusive meat effigies, or resurrection stuff, which would correspond well to his Forge powers. I like the idea of something magical as well.

Considering he, like Maxwell, was also a Shadow King, I wonder if he might gain mild magical abilities. It could have something to do with insanity monsters (maybe he could have exclusive items that allow him to create shadow monsters that will fight for him, but attack him if he goes insane, so it's a double-edged sword. Something like that should be hidden behind several magic labs, though, to make it unlikely for new players to be able to access). As for the lore... maybe it doesn't have to be about his past, but instead it can concern Charlie taking an interest in him now since he and Maxwell are different?

Just speculation. What are your guys' ideas?

My current wishlist:

• Real abilities
  • More usages for his beard
  • He should still feel like the vanilla character in terms of gameplay

I'd be satisfied if they gave him some exclusive craftable items which require beard hairs and aid him at surviving.

Wilson is very good character for DS and adventure mode (no DLC), as originally he had no drawbacks and had beard to warm him during winter, allowing to skip hunting poor koalefants for puffy vest and still being able to be warm during winter. Honestly I never bothered with meat effigy, as usually I just skip to make life giving amulet. But in DST there is abundance of warming items and later in game he is just no fun... Kind of useless comparing to Wendy or Willow, but safer than Walter and some other characters. So I think he should get some "fun" items, something like mad scientist lab, and maybe something to play a little with sanity and insanity. Also I was thinking about letting him heal better other character, something like 10 or 20%, which would be not much, but probably helpful for newbies, before they discover Pierogi.

DST Wilson traveled through 5 randomly generated worlds and has sat upon the very same throne that Maxwell once ruled, so with a Wilson rework he better have some new interesting abilities.... because “Default Wilson” just doesn’t make sense from a lore 
perspective. 

Maxwell can summon the shadows to do his bidding, Charlie does her best Hel impersonation from the game Smite... and Wilson is still just same ol Wilson. -shrugs-

3 minutes ago, hoppin mandrake said:

I like Wilson the way he is. No drawbacks, easy and early access to beard hair for effigies, free insulation in winter. The only thing I might add is something that makes him feel like a scientist since he's always blabbing on about science.

eh, he's more of an occultist with a hammer than he is a scientist. i say give him, as a starting item, two rats tied together with tape. then he will be perfect

I want to see more of his experimental personality come out. We've seen Wilson working on such bizarre ""science"" like meat effigies, where the man literally thought to use his beard shavings, a couple pieces of meat, and some wood to make an otherworldly self resurrection method.

Guess all I'd really want is:

• Increased amount of Beard Hair Wilson receives when shaving
  • More pseudo-science recipes involving Beard Hair.
  • Increased Beard growing speed(?)

(?) - Maybe, maybe not. It would give players the choice of saving the beard for winter, or shaving it for the beard hair to use in new recipes.

5 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

Increased Beard growing speed(?)

If he gets more uses for his beard: Make his beard grow 100% faster if his sanity drops below 40% (i.e. when rabbits start turning into beardlings). That might help players who got problems maintaining their sanity a bit and reward players who can keep their sanity low as Wilson.

I think Wilson is already a pretty good starting character, but he could definitely use some new abilities; maybe one of these:

• As many people have mentioned, something to do with shadow magic would make a lot of sense.
  • Something to do with his interest in science (extra crafting items or some sort of science machine/prototyping boost?)
  • More recipes using Beard Hair (since meat effigies aren't as vital in DST)

Not really sure which one of these I'd prefer.

Well, a perfect rework for Wilson for me would be making him a "gentleman scientist", as he is described: sharing the knowledge of items he already has prototyped would be awesome, plus some tweaks on resurrection items and beard drop from creatures to make his beard really helpfull.

I'd like to see more perks helping new players, without any substantial change in the gameplay since Wilson is the basic character. For example:

• Enter the constant with 2 Electrical Doodad (to help/suggest new players at rushing alchemy engine and he's still a scientist)
  • Can stack more resourses / has 1 more inventory slot / pigback doesn't slow him down (inventory management is pretty hard for new players)
  • Lucky drops (he has better % to get unique drops - like more gold from gold veins- or extra drop - like 1extra log from chopping)

With the last option, he might be viable even for more experienced players to farm unique/rare drops from bosses, even if he's basically vanilla, and it will help new player at gathering more resourses.

I think sitting on Nightmare Throne should play a role as well in Wilson's future rework. But, as others mentioned, his core of being a goofy "gentleman scientist with a magnificent beard" should remain. And that he's (and should be) the default template DST poster character - no real pros and cons.

i don't want wilson to have medical abilities, but  have you guys noticed that wilson is more experienced with medicine instead of science? he has the revival boost on forge, he says he can perform amputations , and in the victorian skin the description says Wilson is a major advocate of the health benefits of leeches.'' ironic isn't it?

6 hours ago, Lumberlocke said:

I want to see more of his experimental personality come out. We've seen Wilson working on such bizarre ""science"" like meat effigies, where the man literally thought to use his beard shavings, a couple pieces of meat, and some wood to make an otherworldly self resurrection method.

Guess all I'd really want is:

• Increased amount of Beard Hair Wilson receives when shaving
  • More pseudo-science recipes involving Beard Hair.
  • Increased Beard growing speed(?)

(?) - Maybe, maybe not. It would give players the choice of saving the beard for winter, or shaving it for the beard hair to use in new recipes.

Interesting ideas. The problem is, he will need drawbacks to go with this to balance him out.

If his new upgrades are intertwined with his downgrades, and only available to people who want to play the long game, that's probably the best way.

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

Maybe some knowledge from the throne? Due to his small stay? That way it's lore but also might give some small changes(even if it's several years late)?

Sorry to doublepost, but forgot I wanted to respond to this one as well.

If Charlie decides that a former Shadow King could be an asset to her, she would likely be able to exert power over him. That could be the justification for new powers long after his "reign". I think that would allow for small changes, like you said.

8 hours ago, hoppin mandrake said:

I like Wilson the way he is. No drawbacks, easy and early access to beard hair for effigies, free insulation in winter. The only thing I might add is something that makes him feel like a scientist since he's always blabbing on about science.

If I'm not mistaken, the entire reason Wilson is in the constant is because he is not a scientist. In Forbidden Knowledge he's shown failing and giving up, before Maxwell tricks him. The things he does after being tricked don't seem too sciency, either. Taping rats together, adding his blood to a mixture...

Wilson should be the tutorial character for beginners since the game lacks one. The Science Machine perks of Wickerbottom is perfect for this, being able to craft Backpack and other stuffs from the start. Maybe something to help with sanity as well, and not dropping items on death?

After reading a whole bunch of threads throughout the years seeing how other people would want to see the character changed, at this point I'd just like to see how the devs would tackle his rework. While I did like the fact that he recently got beard skins for all of his skins, it's not enough for me to continue playing WIlson o a regular basis. I've since moved on to playing mainly as Wormwood in DST, but I still primarily play Wilson in singleplayer DS.

This is a character who we've seen the backstory for and has had other parts of his life revealed outside of the game (Such as his middle and last names being given out on a business card, if the wiki is to be believed). If anything, I want to be shown something about Wilson that we've never seen (Or read from in-game flavor text) before, and maybe tie it into his rework trailer.

Spoiler

Here's the link to the business card thread: 

Until then, I will continue to wait for his rework, hoping that he'll continue to feel familiar and easy to use, yet unique enough to offer something to the rest of the team in the future. If Wilson's role in the game is to be a beginner friendly character with the (Hopefully) soon to be added appeal to vetearn players, then I will continue to wait in suspense and wil be eagerly waiting to see how the devs strike such a delicate balance. Until then, I can only wait in anticipation, hoping that I can continue to use the character more often in the future.

Also, bring back Shadow Wilson.

Archived