What would you want to see in a Wilson rework?

6 hours ago, thegreatJash said:

He's fine the way he is. He's the default character.

I think as the  default character he should have a stat buff to compensate his lack of features. Giving him 200 hp and 200 hunger along with his 200 sanity will completely normalize him in every area, and honestly I would use him more often simply because he would then have something over the other characters.

Most games I play where there's a normal character, they compensate it by having slightly higher stats so if this is the direction they want to go I think this is fair.

Every rework has been given new Craftable items, and new gameplay features- I’m tired of these discussions of characters being fine as is.... they are not.

one only needs to look at the list of characters that HAVE been reworked, as well as Klei’s two most recent DLC ones (Wurt, Walter) to notice that there is a trend of-

New Craftable Items, New Craftable Structures, Features that make them even more unique beyond just a couple boring modifications to health, hunger & strength stats.

To be fair, Wilson is in a special position. While I do agree that he needs to be reworked to be interesting, and that his image as the ''default character'' is holding his potential back and is ultimately worse for the game I can definitely see the appeal in wanting him to remain as normal as he is.

That being said, if they DO decide to do this, I really think his HP and Hunger need to be buffed to 200 because that would actually make him a worthwhile tutorial character.

I try introducing a lot of friends to this game, and they try Wilson and find him to be far too difficult to play as. So they just pick Webber or something instead to actually breeze through the difficult parts a beginner would have trouble with.  I can only speak from experience based on all the people I've tried recommending this game to, but Wilson really does not cut it as the default character. He was great when Winter was the only challenge in Vanilla DS but the game has evolved too far beyond that point and Webber already has his beard perk anyway(even if it is a bit weaker, who cares).  He really needs to be changed imo. Even Walter could be argued to be a better starter character, while he has a pretty hefty sanity drawback, he loses no sanity and can contribute to a team mate by simply shooting at range which doesn't draw aggro to him and has a portable chest and mount. Solo, a new player wouldn't be good to start with him, but with an experienced player teaching a new player Walter is a really good contender because he can help the experienced player at no drawback.

12 hours ago, thegreatJash said:

He's fine the way he is. He's the default character.

I disagree with you because he's the default character. Default isn't good enough anymore. Apart from wes, there's is next to no reason to ever put wilson in a team. wickerbottom, woodie, willow and wendy + abigail have eclipsed him and he has absolutely nothing good to offer.

The reason for a veteran to pick wilson is so that they can ask the server where base is to establish that they are a noob to be ignored and then you rush the bosses and ruins as a way to prank everyone. This can be done with nearly every character more effectively. 

Wilson is currently pointless and I really think he should be given something to set him apart.

30 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Wilson is currently pointless and I really think he should be given something to set him apart.

It is a shame, because in Vanilla, his beard and meat effigies were great, since, well, permadeath.

But in a game with 5 different types of resurrection (including postern) even if you don't play on endless (and most people do, from my experience), a living heart combined with a booster shot is way cheaper, or a living amulet.

Wilson is the face of Don't Starve; he should still be fun to play as. I did play him for a while in DST, but that was because many of the other characters sucked before their reworks. Now that they don't, he's just boring. (Unless we're talking Forge, then all hail Wilson!)

6 hours ago, cropo said:

I think as the  default character he should have a stat buff to compensate his lack of features. Giving him 200 hp and 200 hunger along with his 200 sanity will completely normalize him in every area, and honestly I would use him more often simply because he would then have something over the other characters.

Most games I play where there's a normal character, they compensate it by having slightly higher stats so if this is the direction they want to go I think this is fair.

His stats are good: 150/200/150, not all the charactera can say that and also klei likes to put the stats according with how they look (if children less sanity, if strong more hp, etc) and wilson doesnt look strong. He has cold resistance, free fuel/meat effigie and a little boost of sanity when shave. Also having no downsides is a good upside

I would add unique low iq experiments that arent strong but helpful and fun

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

His stats are good: 150/200/150, not all the charactera can say that and also klei likes to put the stats according with how they look (if children less sanity, if strong more hp, etc) and wilson doesnt look strong. He has cold resistance, free fuel/meat effigie and a little boost of sanity when shave. Also having no downsides is a good upside

I would add unique low iq experiments that arent strong but helpful and fun

He also was on the Nightmare Throne for a time like Maxwell was, so there's a lore justification for him to get a buff anyway.

As for downsides, none of the other ''beginner characters'' have downsides that realistically matter, or their upsides are so insanely good that a new player can completely ignore these downsides because they empower them to advance further in the game and experience content they would not have been good enough to do.  

Play as Webber and never have to deal with spiders, and eat monster meat. If you don't know how to use a crockpot, you won't ever be limited. Even if you go underground in the ruins you can ignore depth dwellers in the maze, which removes the stress of trying to find the ancient guardian.  Webber literally has his beard perk. You can't use pigs or bunnymen, but new players would never know how to utilize them effectively anyway, they can just run away from them and avoid fighting, and for the most part using a lot of spiders to protect you works quite well until fire hounds start showing up.  New players pick Webber over Wilson simply because Webber is a better newer character to play, to the point that players are frustrated to have a Webber in the server because they're so new and utilize toxic strategies to the team, but the reality is they were better off picking Webber than Wilson because they would have died otherwise.

Play as Wendy and Abigail does everything for you, a new player would suck at fighting anyway so her damage modifier is hardly a downside at all, she also loses less sanity at night and can easily craft a station with budget materials that gives you a sanity bonus anyway. A new player would be far smarter picking Wendy than Wilson. She is the highest played character in the game.

Picking Wigfrid, players can stupidly tank anything they want for most of the game, her meat-only diet isn't that big of a deal either because she can wolf down monster meat and recover all the stats she lost tanking more spiders. Wigfrid also comes pre-equipped with a better spear, and a better football helmet that don't take an alchemy station or knowledge of pigs to make, she even has a passive damage resistance without any armor that actually stacks with armor.Players actually have to tell Wigfrids to stop wasting the materials making the helmets, because everyone who is new DOES pick her. She is one of the top most played characters in the game.

Being able to make meat effigies slightly faster than other characters is pointless in DST, there are billions of resurrection options available and beard hair isn't that hard to get anyway.

Even if we consider his beard, thermal stones have been buffed in DST so you usually don't require any warm clothing at all, just light a tree on fire with a torch and continuously run in and out of the fire till you overheat, your thermal stone will be at max charge and you can even run around in the dark for a few minutes. 

Picking Wilson is a DETRIMENT. At least buffing his stats would make him ''slightly'' better, and it wouldn't change his gameplay in any way at all.  Getting to the point where you'd even disagree that Wilson could use a slight stat buff, but change nothing else about him so he remains the same, is just being blinded by nostalgia when this game was new and Wilson was actually good at what he was intended to do since Winter was the only season. Players would actually have a reason to pick Wilson, rather than just picking him because they already know how to play the game and just happen to like how he looks(the reverse of how he was originally designed), players wouldn't feel like they're being forced to gimp themselves to play as a character they like.

20 minutes ago, cropo said:

He also was on the Nightmare Throne for a time like Maxwell was, so there's a lore justification for him to get a buff anyway.

maxwell gets his powers because he reads the codex umbra, not because of the throne (as far as klei shown)

about the rest, im ok with buffing him and im ok with him being like he is. You dont have to convince me because other characters are noob friendly too

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

maxwell gets his powers because he reads the codex umbra, not because of the throne (as far as klei shown)

about the rest, im ok with buffing him and im ok with him being like he is. You dont have to convince me because other characters are noob friendly too

Maxwell only learned about the shadows and became able to slightly manipulate them because of the Codex Umbra, but he definitely had powers from being on the throne. In the DST comic where WIlson and Maxwell meet again, Maxwell initially tries blasting away monsters that come to attack him, and is confused at why it doesn't work. 

While part of me thinks Wilson should stay as a base character seeing him take a medicine focus as mentioned already in this would be interesting but I will say I do understand wilson not gaining anything from the throne you gotta figure he wasn't on it nearly as long as Maxwell and even then hasn't shown that he learned anything on the throne and this isn't him being incompetent Maxwell had a guide on how to use shadow magic thru the codex Wilson according to the short sat on the throne but didn't know how to use it's power.

4 hours ago, cropo said:

As for downsides, none of the other ''beginner characters'' have downsides that realistically matter, or their upsides are so insanely good that a new player can completely ignore these downsides because they empower them to advance further in the game and experience content they would not have been good enough to do.  

Play as Webber and never have to deal with spiders, and eat monster meat. If you don't know how to use a crockpot, you won't ever be limited. Even if you go underground in the ruins you can ignore depth dwellers in the maze, which removes the stress of trying to find the ancient guardian.  Webber literally has his beard perk. You can't use pigs or bunnymen, but new players would never know how to utilize them effectively anyway, they can just run away from them and avoid fighting, and for the most part using a lot of spiders to protect you works quite well until fire hounds start showing up.  New players pick Webber over Wilson simply because Webber is a better newer character to play, to the point that players are frustrated to have a Webber in the server because they're so new and utilize toxic strategies to the team, but the reality is they were better off picking Webber than Wilson because they would have died otherwise.

Play as Wendy and Abigail does everything for you, a new player would suck at fighting anyway so her damage modifier is hardly a downside at all, she also loses less sanity at night and can easily craft a station with budget materials that gives you a sanity bonus anyway. A new player would be far smarter picking Wendy than Wilson. She is the highest played character in the game.

Picking Wigfrid, players can stupidly tank anything they want for most of the game, her meat-only diet isn't that big of a deal either because she can wolf down monster meat and recover all the stats she lost tanking more spiders. Wigfrid also comes pre-equipped with a better spear, and a better football helmet that don't take an alchemy station or knowledge of pigs to make, she even has a passive damage resistance without any armor that actually stacks with armor.Players actually have to tell Wigfrids to stop wasting the materials making the helmets, because everyone who is new DOES pick her. She is one of the top most played characters in the game.

Being able to make meat effigies slightly faster than other characters is pointless in DST, there are billions of resurrection options available and beard hair isn't that hard to get anyway.

Even if we consider his beard, thermal stones have been buffed in DST so you usually don't require any warm clothing at all, just light a tree on fire with a torch and continuously run in and out of the fire till you overheat, your thermal stone will be at max charge and you can even run around in the dark for a few minutes. 

a

Picking Wilson is a DETRIMENT. At least buffing his stats would make him ''slightly'' better, and it wouldn't change his gameplay in any way at all.  Getting to the point where you'd even disagree that Wilson could use a slight stat buff, but change nothing else about him so he remains the same, is just being blinded by nostalgia when this game was new and Wilson was actually good at what he was intended to do since Winter was the only season. Players would actually have a reason to pick Wilson, rather than just picking him because they already know how to play the game and just happen to like how he looks(the reverse of how he was originally designed), players wouldn't feel like they're being forced to gimp themselves to play as a character they like.

While Wendy is a good choice for easy fighting she also comes with issue of new players relying on Abigail too much and not bothering to learn the fighting mechanic which ultimately ends up backfiring when she goes insane or deerclopes strikes.

Webber being a beginner character is kinda debatable his main call to fame is spider wars and I've met countless webber's who don't know how to do that and while spiders won't hate him he has to deal with the hate from most neutral mobs.

By comparison Wilson currently works very well as a starter character due to him having no major gameplay changing perks or downsides. His beard also servers as a powerful buffer for winter while not completely solving it for him by design he's a great introductary character but I can see why people want him to have more perks as he doesn't really do anything others can't.

It may not be much in the way of a rework, but if Klei truly wants to keep Wilson as the most baseline character, I'd change nothing about him and add more items that need beard hair to craft. Anyone could craft them, but having a character that can generate a fairly obscure resource early game would up his utility significantly.

On 8/23/2020 at 2:00 PM, Lumberlocke said:

I want to see more of his experimental personality come out. We've seen Wilson working on such bizarre ""science"" like meat effigies, where the man literally thought to use his beard shavings, a couple pieces of meat, and some wood...

On 8/24/2020 at 5:03 AM, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

That's why I"m more onboard with the Nightmare King/Pseudosciencey (not the station, but the meat effigies and stuff) route. He thinks it's science because everything he doesn't understand is "caused by science", but he still fears The Nightmare Throne and its effects.

He kinda looks scared in the Forge trailer after seeing the gateway activated, whereas everyone else is pretty neutral. How bad Portals can be is clearly still fresh in his mind.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:21 AM, mac and cheese said:

Yeah, this is why I'm leaning towards giving Wilson a smaller, science-related perk, such as extra sanity when prototyping new items, and making his main changes more shadow magic-y. He enjoys science, but he is not very good at it.

That. That's the ""brand"" of science I'd wanna see! 

On 8/23/2020 at 1:26 PM, minespatch said:

Maybe Tesla tree seeds? I'd love to see those finally taken out of unimplemented and be given a function.

I think something like the mad scientist lab from the Halloween event would be a good direction. Weird, technically science but really just weird magic inventions that stemmed from the brain of a mad scientist who is still pretty shadow-y after a very throne-y encounter.

8 hours ago, Hopeflakes said:

It may not be much in the way of a rework, but if Klei truly wants to keep Wilson as the most baseline character, I'd change nothing about him and add more items that need beard hair to craft. Anyone could craft them, but having a character that can generate a fairly obscure resource early game would up his utility significantly.

I actually really like this idea!

19 hours ago, Hopeflakes said:

How about some of both? A few items that Wilson exclusive cradts, and a few that are for other characters. I want a few items to be solely his, but that would give him mote value on a team to provide a rare resource on a regular basis instead of hunting down beardlords.

(Beardlings are too much of a pain to farm since they give beard hair so rarely)

There are 3 things I want

1. Wilson's Stats to be increased to 200 Health, 200 Sanity, and 200 Health

2. As a result of being in the shadow throne, He has one small magical power

You know how name well, I'm talking about Shadow Wilson

It's kinda like a mixture of pre-work Abigail and Don't Starve Shadow Puppets

You spawn with some sort of Shadow, and you must kill an animal To spawn Shadow Wilson

You can open him up to reveal 6 inventory slots,and a body and head slost

He Is the exact same as you Health-wise, but has minor heat and cold protection, and minor health regeneration, and can only be healed with dark petals or nightmare fuel, and isn't immune to the cold or heat (He will say your character's Heat/cold quotes, but in a black font, and play the freezing/overheating animations)

You need to put tools and weapons in him to unlock permanent shadow versions of them, (He will not do this if he already made a Shadow version of that type of tool or that specific Weapon) the tools will be consumed, and like DS Shadow Puppets, He will only do a chore if you do it

He will also only go for the type of tree, stump, or rock you work on.

If you put Dark petals or fuel in him, He will use it to heal If he takes damage

If you put a backpack or other backpack-like item in his body slot, it will add extra slots to his inventory until it is removed, and if it is a thermal pack or chefs pack, those extra slots will be blue and act like they normally do

If you put a dainty giving item (Ex. Tam-o-Shanter, One Man Band) in the body or head, the sanity boost will be an aura around shadow Wilson

If you put heat/cold protection on his body or head slot, or put a thermal stone in him, it will protect him against the weather

If you put armor on him, it will act like normal, protecting him against attacks.

If What it's wearing breaks, and he has another one in his inventory, He will automatically put it on

If you engage in combat, He will pull out his most powerful weapon, and it will usually tank the enemy, unless you set the mode to "Tactical" (Basic Kiting) by interacting with the Shadow, and you can set it back by interacting with the Shadow and it will return to "Brute" Mode (Tanking) (Kinda Like Rile-ing up or Calming Down Abby)

It will also grow a beard like you, but shaving it will result in 1,(trimmed) 2, (groomed) or 4, (magnificent) Nightmare Fuel

If it dies, The Shadow will be consumed, All his items (Exept for the ones he used to make shadow tools and weapons) will drop, and you will have to make Another one using 5 fuel, 1 purple gem, and 30 health, Along With the 50 Sanity down His death will bring You (You can only have one Shadow Wilson at a time)

Luckily, it has a 48.5% Chance to stop a red gem, a 48.5% Chance to drop a blue gem, and a 5% Chance to drop a purple gem

However, If you die, So does the Shadow Wilson, And with a Shadow Wilson Alive, You Have 1.5x the Hunger drain.

3. You can give inactive Shadows to other players, and if they activate it, they will get their very own Shadow Wilson, called Shadow (Character Name Here) With their health, And their quotes, And their special abilities (Wigs Damage reduction, Lifesteal, and Damage up, Wolfgang's mighty and wimpy forms [Directly tied to Wolfgang's hunger] Wendy's Damage Down, Ect.) And it also Being A Shadow of you, Not Wilson.

It will also not grow a Shadow beard unless given to another Wilson or Webber

On 8/26/2020 at 9:17 AM, Mysterious box said:

While part of me thinks Wilson should stay as a base character seeing him take a medicine focus as mentioned already in this would be interesting but I will say I do understand wilson not gaining anything from the throne you gotta figure he wasn't on it nearly as long as Maxwell and even then hasn't shown that he learned anything on the throne and this isn't him being incompetent Maxwell had a guide on how to use shadow magic thru the codex Wilson according to the short sat on the throne but didn't know how to use it's power.

Well It seems Newhome will take place while he was on the throne, so he might have been on it longer than we thought

Also, Charlie didn't have any knowledge of How to use the thrones powers, yet here we are, constantly getting killed by HER new bosses, HER new enemies, HER new shadows out on the sea, And Charlie HERself

2 hours ago, A Random Furry said:

Well It seems Newhome will take place while he was on the throne, so he might have been on it longer than we thought

Also, Charlie didn't have any knowledge of How to use the thrones powers, yet here we are, constantly getting killed by HER new bosses, HER new enemies, HER new shadows out on the sea, And Charlie HERself

Your right Charlie didn't but whatever that thing possessing/controlling her clearly does also unlike maxwell seems to have full control over the throne not bound. While I will be more interested to see what Wilson does on the throne if that's the case I thought new home didn't follow the same cannon as normal don't starve(I could be wrong my knowledge on new home is mostly hear say since I don't care much for mobile games)

Archived