What would you want to see in a Wilson rework?

5 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Your right Charlie didn't but whatever that thing possessing/controlling her clearly does also unlike maxwell seems to have full control over the throne not bound. While I will be more interested to see what Wilson does on the throne if that's the case I thought new home didn't follow the same cannon as normal don't starve(I could be wrong my knowledge on new home is mostly hear say since I don't care much for mobile games)

Honestly I wasn't expecting this response

Thank you for not sprouting a giant argument out of this

(It wouldn't even be a fun one with funny roasts)

Every rework so far has given characters new Craftable items, or structures, and new belongings items & skins.

It is extremely safe to say that Wilson will be no different, now as to what new “Gadgets” Klei will give him that’s entirely up to Klei.. But all you need to do is look at all the Reworked characters so far, as well as Klei’s most recent DLC characters- To see a trend of the route their going in.

List of Reworked Characters-

Winona, Willow, Woodie, Warly, Wendy

List of Newest DLC Characters- 

Wurt, Walter.

They all have unique craftables, and they each have an extra item or two that they will constantly be juggling in their inventories- For Warly it’s all his cooking related stuff-For Wendy it’s Morning Glory and Ectoherbology potions, For Willow it’s Bernie dolls, sanity manipulating items and sewing kits, for Walter it’s the various types of Slingshot Ammo’s & his portable supplies.

Wilsons only claim to fame is growing out a beard.... and with the above examples- it’s clear that needs changing otherwise I’m going to call foul when I have to lug around 3-4 random items like Ashes, Kelp, Beefalo wool, Itchy Totems etc... 

And Wilson stays basic & boring & doesn’t have to juggle around any extra items in his inventory at all.

On 8/29/2020 at 11:46 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Every rework so far has given characters new Craftable items, or structures, and new belongings items & skins.

It is extremely safe to say that Wilson will be no different, now as to what new “Gadgets” Klei will give him that’s entirely up to Klei.. But all you need to do is look at all the Reworked characters so far, as well as Klei’s most recent DLC characters- To see a trend of the route their going in.

List of Reworked Characters-

Winona, Willow, Woodie, Warly, Wendy

List of Newest DLC Characters- 

Wurt, Walter.

They all have unique craftables, and they each have an extra item or two that they will constantly be juggling in their inventories- For Warly it’s all his cooking related stuff-For Wendy it’s Morning Glory and Ectoherbology potions, For Willow it’s Bernie dolls, sanity manipulating items and sewing kits, for Walter it’s the various types of Slingshot Ammo’s & his portable supplies.

Wilsons only claim to fame is growing out a beard.... and with the above examples- it’s clear that needs changing otherwise I’m going to call foul when I have to lug around 3-4 random items like Ashes, Kelp, Beefalo wool, Itchy Totems etc... 

And Wilson stays basic & boring & doesn’t have to juggle around any extra items in his inventory at all.

Did... did you just have a self-contained argument?

On 8/29/2020 at 10:18 PM, DarkPulse91 said:

Wilson rework:
-Wilson now starts with a science machine precrafted

Thats it, thank you for coming, next rework will be Wes have a good day

Honestly, it would make total sense lore wise, but he might just be called a 10% wickerbottom

My boy deserves only the best. :wilson_love: Unless he's properly reworked, to a Wendy level... I'll...

I'll...
Riot, I guess?

Actually, I'd understand completely. But I STILL want a Wilson rework in a perfect world.

On 8/25/2020 at 1:31 PM, minespatch said:

Speaking of bushy beards, the ability to sleep in same beard when in Magnificent mode.

Yaaass

The ultimate in beard utility: the beard bedroll.  Gives extra sanity/health to Wilson [in addition to the baseline sanity/health regen]. :wilson_flower:

1 hour ago, noeticmoose said:

Yaaass

The ultimate in beard utility: the beard bedroll.  Gives extra sanity/health to Wilson [in addition to the baseline sanity/health regen]. :wilson_flower:

Oh my gosh, that's disgusting, but I'm still listening.

Maybe a voodoo doll-connection type thing? He can injure himself and do the same amount of damage to an enemy. Idk, just came to mind.

All i'm gonna say, is that a Wilson rework is stupid to do in my opinion.
He is supossed to be a "Base Character", no downsides, no upsides.

He doesn't needs buffs or nerfs, since he's, as i've said, a "Base Character", use him if you want to do everything with no Downsides neither Upsides.

What i would want coming from him, however, is to get to know more of his lore.
Since Klei has started making shorts explaining the past of the Survivors on their reworks, they slowly forgot about Wilson's Story, i mean, we all know that he's a Scientist who got tempted my Maxwell to make the portal, yada yada, but what about his family, motivations, or his relation with the other survivors??

Also, as long as i'm concerned all characters are linked to eachother somehow, but we just aren't in that part of the History yet.
Maybe him getting the "First Clue" of how he is linked to the other survivors would be something i would appreciate to see?

1 hour ago, Kommu said:

All i'm gonna say, is that a Wilson rework is stupid to do in my opinion.

ShopCat has Snipped the rest of this post. >^.^<

I just want to ask why would you feel this way? I mean when you look at every other rework we have gotten so far each has added deeper personality to the characters, giving them unique crafting items/structures/gameplay.. 

Making them More Unique and Interesting to pick to play as beyond just some boring Increased/Decreased (depending on who you pick to play as) Health/Damage stats.

Even in the Original Dont Starve game as soon as I Unlocked Willow I never played as Wilson ever again.. because he’s just boring and offers nothing unique in terms of gameplay outside of growing a beard, a skill he shares with Webber.

However... in Dont Starve TOGETHER- This game is officially a sequel to the events of Dont Starve Single Player.. At the start of DST Wilson has already adventures through 5 randomly generated worlds and swapped places with Maxwell as the prisoner to the Shadow Thrones Influence.

To top that off with Klei’s reworks it shows that the characters have been becoming more intelligent, evolving past their DS single player counter-parts with brand new Knowledge and even a whole new outlook on their life inside of the Constant.

Whats was once a dark and scary world full of things we didn’t understand wanting us dead, is now more light hearted, with Wilson actually enjoying fishing at Sea instead of living a life of constant misery 

Woodie’s In Game Compendium description details how Wickerbottom helped him to unlock the full potential of his curse and how to craft the idols that lets him trigger his transformations..

No longer a scary thing he had completely no control over (he is still cursed.. but he’s learning to live with it and use it to his advantages.)

Wendy has also learned that she can create potions to help Aid her Sister Abigail in being much more useful.

The TL:DR- If Wilson, Wes and Wolfgang do not get any smarter, do not learn any new abilities and do not offer up any new gameplay content that is unique to playing as them.. when everyone else IS- Then I will continue to NOT play as them because they’re boring & Uninteresting. 

———————————

As far as to what I want and expect out of Wilson, Wes or Wolfgang rework- I feel I have no Liberty to speak on that behalf, I will just wait to see what KLEI does with them and how they feel they should be expanded upon for DST.. and then- We the community can suggest minor changes/improvements to those reworks until Klei feels they’re exactly where they want them.

(identical to how they give every refresh a few weeks to settle in & get player feedback off and change/improve before moving on to their next big content update)

Thanks for the point of view, but i insist, Wilson at least from my perspective is/was suposed to be a Base Character.
Not specialized on anything, neither bad on everything.

But, what you've said of the "Characters getting Smarter" changed my perspective in a way honestly.
I just hope that if a Rework comes for Wilson, that rework doesn't removes his "Principal" characteristic of being the easiest to play and basically the most viable pick if you're inexperienced on the game, because of his zero Downsides/Upsides.

I dunno, i honestly almost never played as him so i can't certainly say what i would want him to get added.
But yeah, i guess that a rework to see the Character "Evolve" would actually be something great, but still, i think that there are other characters in a need of a rework way before than Wilson (Wolfgang for being extremelly OP and Webber to get a more "Interesting" and "Better" teamwork mechanic, for example)

8 hours ago, Kommu said:

zero Downsides/Upsides

That's questionable, becase in base DS his beard is quite... helpful. Nice if you can stay alive during winter. But with RoG he gains a upside, because if he didn't shave, he would get overheated more quicker than any other character. 

52 minutes ago, Notecja said:

That's questionable, becase in base DS his beard is quite... helpful. Nice if you can stay alive during winter. But with RoG he gains a upside, because if he didn't shave, he would get overheated more quicker than any other character. 

It is still a downside if u think about it during summer unless in caves

The beard is an Upside/Downgrade at the same time depending on the Season.
While it can save you in Winter if you ignore it in Summer it may kill you.

Also, tell me when was the last time you used a Meat Effigy instead of a Telltale heart or Life Giving Amulet :P

56 minutes ago, Kommu said:

The beard is an Upside/Downgrade at the same time depending on the Season.
While it can save you in Winter if you ignore it in Summer it may kill you.

Also, tell me when was the last time you used a Meat Effigy instead of a Telltale heart or Life Giving Amulet :P

Klei should really have detailed statistics of what items players craft, and how often certain features of their games get used..

Me being a Major Batman fan thought it was kinda cool that the developers for it had stats of how many Batarangs had been thrown in Injustice 2... back in the day.

It sounds like a very pointless thing right?, except here’s the thing- I’ve never crafted a Meat Effigy OR a Life Giving Amulet in ALL Of my time playing DS/ DS: Shipwrecked/DS: Hamlet, Or DST.

The only forms of Revival that I HAVE Used- Are the 1x use resurrection stones that are placed around the map, TellTale Hearts or (If Playing Endless Mode) Haunting the Florid Postern to Respawn.

There are a lot of features in DS/DST that should be able to be turned on and off to customize your game worlds to be as easy or as hard as you personally want them to be.. but I’ve brought that up in a thread I made specifically for the topic. 

To remain on Topic- Beard Hair in DST can also be shaved off & given to Willow to create Bernie dolls with. :) So even if Klei gave us the option to turn off Meat Effigy (something I’ve never crafted at all ever...) Wilson’s beard hair would still at least have a use outside of it.

PLUS- It can be used as an Emergency fire source if you happen to be unlucky enough to not have anything else to fuel a fire with.

(which happens more often then you might think depending upon how you play the game..)

The thing is- Outside of his Beard Wilson really doesn’t have anything else worth making me want to play as him.

Wickerbottom can spawn into the world with the already known knowledge to craft backpacks- and I throughly enjoyed going around crafting backpacks for players long before they ever even had a science machine built.. Wicker becomes even more useful when a Wormwood plants seeds everywhere and she reads the Applied Horticulture book to literally instantly grow foods as far as the eye can see.

I stopped playing as my Beloved Witch Lady- The moment everyone kept crying “Nerf her into the ground..” 

I will now instead wait to see what Klei does with her rework and will just pray that they don’t actually ruin her by listening to the cries for her to be heavily nerfed.

The thing is- Wicker is seen as “too good” to players to the point that they want her nerfed into the ground, where as Wilson is seen as “not interesting & unique enough to keep playing..” 

Tell the Truth- when you unlocked other characters beyond Wilson in Solo DS with cooler unique abilities- how often did you go back & play as Wilson? 
For Me that was NEVER once I unlocked Wendy I became a #WendyMain & never went back... But Wilson is the Face of DS/DST- Surely he deserves to be more interesting to play as right? :) <3

Even WALANI was more fun to play then Wilson because she had a Surfboard she spawned into the game with and could plop down to surf water & pick up to carry with her to plop back down again later.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:01 AM, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

But ge seems to do well healing in the Forge. Maybe he's a doctor?

On 9/5/2020 at 4:26 AM, Articestone said:

I think he is more a chemist, maybe he revive people faster as he deal with smelling salts? 

He's also a Victorian doctor in the gorge. Wiki say he most likely has SOME sort of medical knowledge... maybe. Well, at least he has probably read about it. 

In the constant, you take what you can get!

On 9/6/2020 at 1:30 PM, The Letter W said:

didn't we used to call him Pelontrix way back in the day

wouldn't that be a callback...

What on earth does pelontrix mean? :wilson_curious:

I think he should be able to make other Effigies than the meat one, maybe ones that require character-exclusive items as ingredients (since they don't give hair) that have related effects. Despite how boring his ability is he is the main character of most of the plot developments, it'd be nice to have a unifying factor like this in-game. I feel like requiring the cooperation of other players would be a balancing factor. They'd have durability that wears down with use instead of the one-and-done style of the Meat Effigy.

For example:

• An effigy made from Willow's Lighter that acts sort of like a fire-based lightning rod, burning down instead of other objects in a nearby radius that would be burning and doing so without spreading the flames to nearby objects.
  • An effigy made from Abigail's Flower that boosts the attack of those nearby based on the time of day.
  • An effigy made from Chef Pouch that slows down spoilage when standing in a radius around them.
  • An effigy made from Pile o' Balloons that makes you glad you aren't actually playing as Wes.

Archived