What would you want to see in a Wilson rework?

I see no reason to keep Wilson as a bland, default, starting character in a game where you have all free characters already unlocked and there are characters that are better at being starting characters than him.

I've said it in the past: I want something related to his time spent on the Nightmare Throne. Most preferably Shadow Wilson to make an apperance such as, what op said, a Shadow Creature that Wilson can benefit from but also is put into risk. But something different than just another follower. 

Maybe something like this: Wilson can place a construction site. The site requires multiple items like nightmare fuel, beard, rabbits, moon glass shards etc. After you finish building it Shadow Wilson appears and you interact with him. He disappears and Wilson unlocks a new crafting tab related to his weird science. But now Shadow Wilson will exist as a shadow creature that's bit more powerfull and trickier than Horror and Beak.

12 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

I see no reason to keep Wilson as a bland

There is a reason to keep him "bland". He is a noob friendly and the only charachter that has no negative traits. There is a lot of mechanics in the game and complex charachters can worsen the experience. 

I like the idea of charachters having a little perk, for example, "Willow logs have more value when placed in a firepit". As for Wilson he can craft any blueprint he already learned. It probably isn't so useful when everything can be learned in alchemy, but it is useful if Wilson can share his knowledge of unique drops like bundling wraps or mushroom hats to everyone.

1 hour ago, KeshS said:

He is a noob friendly

Most people pick Webber, Wigfrid or other cool-looking characters as their 1st character to play with. So keeping Wilson boring because there's a chance that a noob might pick him wouldn't be a cash money decision by Klei, imo.

33 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Most people pick Webber, Wigfrid or other cool-looking characters as their 1st character to play with. So keeping Wilson boring because there's a chance that a noob might pick him wouldn't be a cash money decision by Klei, imo.

Stats say otherwise. Still 3rd most picked despite being basic.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:41 PM, resamvi said:

Hey folks,

I'm dedicating this to the you people who asked yourself "But who is the most played character now?". OrangE did try to answer this in one of his videos but what he did was painstakingly look into each server and count it. I've used some Python and Go to get this automated and give you some results.

This infographic presents, along with the character count, more information as far as what can be deduced from the API. This covers mostly players, servers and server metadata, regional differences, platforms.

Besides the infographic, I developed a website that presents the metrics shown in the infographic on a dataset that is always updated: https://dst.resamvi.io/ 
So you can always check yourself what the current state of character preferences and region distribution is here at Don't Starve Together.

For anybody that's interested and wants to dig depper I open-sourced the codebase here: https://github.com/ResamVi/dontstarve-datavis
Python and Go are employed on the backend, Vue.js was used to implement the frontend.

I love to hear your opinion. There is always criticism to be made about the data but I hope I addressed everything in the footnotes and [?] - notes.

dst infographic.png

1 hour ago, KeshS said:

As for Wilson he can craft any blueprint he already learned. It probably isn't so useful when everything can be learned in alchemy, but it is useful if Wilson can share his knowledge of unique drops like bundling wraps or mushroom hats to everyone.

Relatively even this makes him "not bland", even quite op, if other players do not wish fight something twice, like Crab King or Malbaltross. For now, some people would even ban Wilson players, because how "useless" he is... And that's why  he need something, maybe not exactly game-changer or overly useful, but at least bringing fun.

2 minutes ago, Notecja said:

Relatively even this makes him "not bland", even quite op, if other players do not wish fight something twice, like Crab King or Malbaltross. For now, some people would even ban Wilson players, because how "useless" he is... And that's why  he need something, maybe not exactly game-changer or overly useful, but at least bringing fun.

This kind of toxic behavior isn't better from a griefer. I've seen players kick "Wes" as well. Who are they to justify what charachters a person wants to play? They might be even good at the game, but because they don't have a Wicker at base it is just better to kick a filthy Wilson main.

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If I'm not mistaken, the entire reason Wilson is in the constant is because he is not a scientist. In Forbidden Knowledge he's shown failing and giving up, before Maxwell tricks him. The things he does after being tricked don't seem too sciency, either. Taping rats together, adding his blood to a mixture...

Yes, Kevin stated Wilson isn't really a scientist. He's a dude who decided to pursue it on his own time.

That's why I"m more onboard with the Nightmare King/Pseudosciencey (not the station, but the meat effigies and stuff) route. He thinks it's science because everything he doesn't understand is "caused by science", but he still fears The Nightmare Throne and its effects.

He kinda looks scared in the Forge trailer after seeing the gateway activated, whereas everyone else is pretty neutral. How bad Portals can be is clearly still fresh in his mind.

10 hours ago, rafaelluismpalm said:

i don't want wilson to have medical abilities, but  have you guys noticed that wilson is more experienced with medicine instead of science? he has the revival boost on forge, he says he can perform amputations , and in the victorian skin the description says Wilson is a major advocate of the health benefits of leeches.'' ironic isn't it?

all dangerous practices that were often used in a way that did more harm than good or the patients X''D yup, sounds like something i would expect from wilson

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

actually almost all of the beginners i meet are either wilson or webber(unless there is a character mod available in the pub)

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If I'm not mistaken, the entire reason Wilson is in the constant is because he is not a scientist. In Forbidden Knowledge he's shown failing and giving up, before Maxwell tricks him. The things he does after being tricked don't seem too sciency, either. Taping rats together, adding his blood to a mixture...

Science is about trial and error. He knows scientific stuff but doesnt know how to discover new things

As i know the science machine and his recipes are made by wilson (i dont see wendy or weeber knowing how to make lighting rods, fridge, etc)

38 minutes ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

He kinda looks scared in the Forge trailer after seeing the gateway activated, whereas everyone else is pretty neutral. How bad Portals can be is clearly still fresh in his mind.

Good point, I hadn't really noticed that before. Most people don't seem to care except for Wickerbottom who's intrigued and Wilson who's scared, or at least worried. Definitely something negative. He's also the one who tried to stop Wigfrid from just charging in.

9 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Yeah, this is why I'm leaning towards giving Wilson a smaller, science-related perk, such as extra sanity when prototyping new items, and making his main changes more shadow magic-y. He enjoys science, but he is not very good at it.

The problem with Wilson is that he gives the impression of a ''good starter character''.   Players would start as him, and then as they get better, they gravitate towards other characters that would fit a specific playstyle for them.  In my opinion, he's actually a bad starter character. Webber has his beard, thermal stones are actually easier for a new player to maintain that not dying and keeping his beard all through the winter.

Besides his sanity, his stats are a bit too low for having nearly zero advantages as a character.

He's basically a Wes that doesn't have the drawbacks that Wes has.  A new player would actually be better suited to picking someone like Wigfrid, who can face-tank enemies without needing to kite for a majority of the game and can ignore monster meat penalties to trivialize her downside. Obviously this has consequences in the long run, but by the time they reach the limits of Wigfrid they'll either know how to handle this downside, or will switch to another character.  Webber and Wendy make excellent starter characters as well, Webber literally having the same beard perk as him even though it's slightly weaker.

One thing I would suggest is to simply boost Wilsons stats to 200/200/200  around the board. This gives his lack of any notable features an actual upside, as he would have above average stats to compensate. This would allow players to make more mistakes, and go hungry for nearly an extra day compared to his base hunger. This would actually make him helpful to new players, and wouldn't require any work from the dev team at all.

As for a revamp concerning his ''mad scientist'' title, people often say that he should be allowed to know alchemy engine recipies or at least science machine recipies. I don't think this suits Wilson.  There are various quotes he has that give a clearer reason as to why he doesn't know traditional science, an example is when he examines one of Wickerbottoms Shipwrecked books, he'll say something like ''Why would I read about the theory when I can just wing it?''. He doesn't appreciate the research portion of science, in fact his entire backstory of the game was that he was failing at science, and wanted Maxwell to ''cheat him'' into the science that he couldn't accomplish on his own.

I think he should be able to make potions with various effects that he would apply to his beard. This would be his own unique, mad science tab.  For example, using a formula with...say....a living log in its recipie will make Wilsons Beard alive, and it would function as an additional hand slot for something like an Umbrella or a Lantern for a short time. This would make him useful to new players, as he would remove the pressure that comes with messing around with umbrellas and lights in the hand slot underground, while also having to balance fighting, inclement weather, and a lack of armor if a miners hat or eyebrella is in use.   

Another possible chemical he could add to his beard is something that changes it to make it useful for other seasons. So while it would be warm in winter, he could apply a chemical to it to turn it into a sort of breezy beard for summer that would occasionally fan him to cool him off, and another chemical to give him 20% water resistance in spring. 

Another chemical would be one that turns his beard into armor, give it a low damage reduction, but not require a slot to be occupied, would not give him any weather bonuses, and eventually would break....making him need to regrow his beard.

I was also gonna suggest something like letting the beard jump off of his face with another chemical, and become it's own alive entity that can help him do things..but we already have enough characters who have followers so I think this ones a bit too much.

Why these perks? Wilsons beard seems to have had something in mind, when Winter was the only other season before RoG came out, Wilson was useful because he was able to resist the cold of Winter without needing to use one of his body slots to counter the cold, although he could still do this and receive even MORE protection.  So the idea of his rework would be using resources to temporarily make his beard take on the role of something that would require an equipment slot to be occupied for various situations. but still be inferior to players who know what they're doing and don't actually need the extra help to achieve these things.

I think this would actually make him useful for beginner players, his ''role'' will be easing new players into the systems of the game by taking away the stress of having to sacrifice equipment slots to do things, so that when they get better at the game they can confidently pick a more difficult character and have fun with them. Or they can continue to use Wilson for convenience, and possibly double down on his perk like using his armored beard to save durability on actual armor, or being able to use a walking cane underground while your beard holds a lantern.

Or he can just be a ''grenade spammer'' and make various, toxic gas bottles that he can throw around and be annoying with. I mean the animated trailer of Don't Starve is him screwing around with dangerous chemicals so...

As a side note, wouldn't it be funny if Wilson was related to Wagstaff, and was only interested in science because he was and just couldn't live up to his expectations?

23 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Science is about trial and error. He knows scientific stuff but doesnt know how to discover new things

As i know the science machine and his recipes are made by wilson (i dont see wendy or weeber knowing how to make lighting rods, fridge, etc)

What are you talking about? Anyone can craft these.

1 minute ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

What are you talking about? Anyone can craft these.

Yes but in the lore is wilson who create it the first time

Or you think that wolfgang know how to make gun powder by his own when he cant barely talk correctly

Atleast as i understand the lore

49 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Yes but in the lore is wilson who create it the first time

Wilson probably created it with the forbidden knowledge he got, but considering all but four of the characters were surviving on their own before DST, they probably all crafted it in their own time.

49 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Or you think that wolfgang know how to make gun powder by his own when he cant barely talk correctly

It's not that he can't talk correctly, it's that English is not his first language. He's heavily implied to be Slavic.

A good rework imo should add endgame utility so you can be at day 1000 but still be productive and safe from the dangers of the endgame.

My previous ideas for wilson would be for him to use his experience with death and repeating death to figure out ways around extinction. Like if a person wiped out all herds of extinction prone animals such as tallbirds, beefalo, voltgoat and catcoons, he'd have the knowledge and perks to bring them back to the world somehow by making new spawners or herds.

We have a solution to 1/4 mentioned currently and later on I imagine klei might add ways to bring back dead herds without touching on wilson.

But a deeper understanding of life and death would be my hook for wilson because it would make sense in the context of who he is. He's an experimenter and his inquisitive mind will probably get him killed more than every survivor only to come back and have a better understanding of death.

In regards to life and death, he should probably have no hp punishment when being brought back by a heart and less hp damage when crafting a heart. very boring perk, but is in line with my suggestion about his understanding of life and death.

Because his "science" hit it's stride more in the constant than the real world, a deeper understanding of the constant and how to change things in it could allow him to redirect wormholes to different directions. that would be very convenient but depending on who you ask, also an unbalanced ability. Might need to be play tested.

an expression of his time spent on the nightmare throne could allow him to make shadow versions of animals. such as the "beardfalo" (credit to misutom for the name) or other beard/darkness versions of creatures. Perhaps he could make the ewecus a black sheep that benefits a team instead of trying to kill a lone wolf.

But honestly, most of these suggestions are admittedly halfa**ed when it comes to specifics. But the general idea that would attract me to a wilson rework would be something based on life and death.

3 minutes ago, chirsg said:

In regards to life and death, he should probably have no hp punishment when being brought back by a heart and less hp damage when crafting a heart.

actually given his ties to meat effigy and reduced-penalty resurrections in the forge i actually really like this idea, unlike a lot of the others this one does actually have some in-game credentials AND would be useful for new players without being all that useful to anyone else(but still not useless entirely)

Archived