[Poll] On Fruits

im bad at titles  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think fruits should grow on their respective plants/trees instead of on farm plots?

2. 2. If yes, why?

• It's more realistic.
    • It would introduce depth and complexity in fruits in a way that changed up normal strats (Wicker Applied Hort spam) but still kept their reward value or even increased it.
    • It would add aesthetic value to fruits.
    • It would make fruits more useful than their current mediocrity.
    • Other (do mention why in the comments!)
    • I'm undecided
  3. 3. If no, why?

• It's hard to code, draw new sprites for, and implement.
    • It would break existing meta strategies.
    • It would go against DST's aesthetic
    • It would not be executed well.
    • Fruits would probably remain mediocre anyways.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I'm undecided
  4. 4. Which fruits IRL would you like added to DST?

im hoping farming will one day get a look/update like return of them brought for fishing. all these new and interesting food options like the leafy meat recipes just pale in comparison to.... bunny hutches i feel like. ive been thinking about making my own thread on this but ive been lazy lol...

i think bunny hutches should be toned down so the other food options can get a chance... im thinking either increase the spawn time of bunnymen, remove carrots as drops (why farm seeds when u can get loads of carrots daily from automatic bunnymen farms??), or make the recipe for the hutches rare 

I just want trees with actual fruits visually seen growing in them.. if Klei wants to add in Piko squirrels or any other mobs that come out of the trees I would appreciate that too..

I would even go so far as to buy a brand new Xbox Series X the day they’re available just to play a more improved version of DS/DST.. lol

:( The game is just that addictive & fun!

25 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I'm disappointed to see only 6 mango enthusiasts. We're being beat by coffee, which you can't even add half & half or sugar to! You have to settle for goat's milk and honey...

goat's milk and honey is pretty boss, actually... though i think some of it is that mangoes aren't caffeinated

to be honest, durian grows on tree, can we have durain grow on tree?

also durian drops from tree itself when it is mature

I want to see someone passing by durian tree and get instant killed

No cherries ? :wilson_sneaky:

I would really like an agriculture upgrade quite different than the one we got with new vegetables, farm plots have too much importance in farming while they could use brand new mechanisms, such as farming turfs (something like farming in The Gorge), fruit trees like said (what about a fruit bat season ? :p). I mentioned that a lot already but I'm in favor of husbandry that require some investments to maintain rather than exploiting mobs to have tons of meat and less interesting food sources, yet I'm sure not a lot of players are okay with this.

There's a lot of potential and I know some mods who executed that pretty well like Legion and others.

CHERRIES I mean, it's not like I use the Cherry Forest mod all the time or anything OH WAIT I DO...

Spoiler

brightcherryforestwinter.thumb.png.332c1ce64d33da7c9f9cd5fdfec21296.png

(it took me all of 20 seconds to find an already-uploaded-here picture that featured cherry trees, and most of that was waiting for the thumbnails to load. :P)

Anyway I voted for most of the fruits; some of them because I like them in real life/used to have them in my yard long ago, some because they're already in mods I use anyway, and some because their name appealed to my sense of humour.  Ah, remember the good ol' days? Sitting down around the dinner table to a nice hot slice of Mama's homemade [REDACTED] pie..?  And who doesn't love a nice glass of DATA EXPUNGED juice?

I guess if I had to narrow it down I'd go for pineapples and regularapples

idunnsapples.thumb.png.1dc309edb45c2d02c91af62508874165.png

(like these, or maybe the red variety), peaches

charlieandthepeaches.png.42776f73ebabd4dcb54d8dd24e96e2ac.png

(like these, with or without the constant threat of possible spider attack)

the forum's apparent fruity running joke, mangoes, and cherries--all because they're stuff in cool mods that I think console players should be able to enjoy too.  And, the Shipwrecked ports, because Shipwrecked ports.  Can the coconuts still have the strangest tendency to bonk you on the head everytime you're chopping the tree WITHOUT a helmet, but mysteriously behave themselves as soon as you're protected...?

And prickly pears could grow on some cactus in summer, making that season a hair more interesting!

...Notorious

3 hours ago, gghhrr said:

to be honest, durian grows on tree, can we have durain grow on tree?

also durian drops from tree itself when it is mature

I want to see someone passing by durian tree and get instant killed

Just kick them around like the durians in Super Mario Sunshine

I think farming in general could use an update? I remember playing on a re-gorge-itated server a while ago and thinking about the turf used for farming and how it could possibly be implemented into DST to allow for more crops without adding more trees or plants around the world which would in my opinion, make worlds feel a bit crowded while also changing the forests' aesthetic, which is something I personally wouldn't be a fan of, but to each their own.

As for the farming turf, perhaps it could be crafted with a large amount of manure and rot, but instead of needing to dig up the natural turf to place it, one could place the farming turf over it, and planting crops would make it fade?

I seriously just like Hamlets Piko squirrels, they add a sense of “life” to an otherwise boring world full of trees but no creatures living in them, the squirrels have little animations for running up and down the tree, they are not just purely cosmetic either.. they will snatch up and eat the seeds you wouldve used to plant a new tree after chopping it down, and they can be chased down and killed for small morsel.

I think if we get new Fruit Trees that these additional mobs should come with them.

For example- Jungle Trees from SW & Hamlet provide Bananas and Eggs (Etc) but have a chance to spawn hostile snakes or scorpions.

————————————

The TL:DR- If they add new Fruit Trees they should bring new mobs or mechanics required in interacting with them, Coconuts couldn’t just be cooked in a firepit in Shipwrecked like Birchnuts They konk you on the head & had to be cracked open first.

————————————

Otherwise more food options with no Risk/Reward required in getting them just makes the game that much easier.

Please consider adding this option to your poll that Fruit trees could include some new interesting gameplay mechanics, or mobs!

I'm a fan of the idea of transplanting crops, much like you do with nettles in Hamlet. In Hamlet you find nettle bushes in the deep rainforest and can re-locate them to another part of the forest to grow; after you aquire craftable jungle turf, you can plant them anywhere you want. I personally would like to see most crops take on their realistic appearance:

• Corn would be farmed as corn stalks
  • Carrots, Potatos, Pumpkins, Eggplants, Watermelons and other "ground-laying" crops would grow as normal
  • Fruits would grow on bushes/trees

I think farming could use a little love as of late personally, and I want to see what Klei does with it as time goes on.

We could have 2 fruits per season, on their own trees. And new recipes of course, pies only. Or stewed fruit and put them in jar to stay eatable longer.

Trees would be good enough for the visual. 3 steps, nothing, flowers, fruits.

I also hope a cooking rework idea comes to fruition. I cherrish meatballs as much as the next guy, but there are just so many recipes that get taken for granate that it's hard to berr the thought of this kind of wasted potential. 

It's food for thought, I guess. 

I would be nice to see most fruits grow on trees. You know, the ones that make sense to be coming from trees like pomegranate, durian, and a few others. Would also be nice if we could harvest fruits from trees without having to chop them down (right birchnuts?).

I was just discussing this with a friend the other day.

Real talk, in spite of the multiple ways one can obtain food. Farming plant crops is the safest but for what it doesn't cost you in health it costs you in time. Very high maintenance and that could well be fulfilling the dream of being a full time mango farmer. But even if we overlook the maintenance, the inconsistency further puts it lower than it already is. Growing crops and then gambling them away to the bird who could just punish you by eating your crop and tell you to do it all over again or get lucky to get two seeds which you can then start the farming process.

In retrospect, Wormwood's version of crop farming is much more favourable because of the sheer amount you can plant, and them taking days to grow makes maintaining an economically sufficient crop supply less about staying near the plants and more in having a giant field of crops.

Barely any crops are useless. Especially for the chef Warly as onions allow at least two great recipes(bone onion soup and moqueca), fruits complete the recipe for the freshest fruit crepes. And dragonpies are fast healing food.

If changes could ever arise on the table, the simplest I would think of guaranteeing the bird dropping at least two specific seeds upon being fed a crop. An overhaul is too much to ask and the game is enjoyable as it is for me.

Archived