Wendy's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

I didn't play Wendy much but I like the announced perks and that the changes are subtle instead of a complete rescratch.

I like that Abigail getting stronger over time rewards players watching out for Abby instead of considering her a throwaway minion.
The interaction with graves and ghosts seem to fit artworks and lore/personality.
Kinda curious on the numbers on how harder Abby fights depending in Wendy's health. Hope there is a decent cap and 1 HP Wendy's won't be 1-shotting giants in the future.
And ectoherbology seems like a nice bonus on top of that.

Looking forward for next weeks details but I think you did a good job there, devs. Not too little, not too much.

Added one detail that we missed: Abigail's damage is affected by the number of enemies she is fighting, allowing her to be effective against a single enemy but at her best when fighting a crowd.  

14 minutes ago, JoeW said:

number of enemies she is fighting

So no more stupid deaths to tenticals?

1 minute ago, Ogrecakes said:

So, shes largely the same, but a bit more fleshed out and balanced?

GOOD.

SURE WISH WOODIE GOT THAT

And Me too buddy... I miss eating wood, sanity from trees... But I will keep hoping that one day Wes will be reworked too....  And now we wait 5 more days....

26 minutes ago, JoeW said:
  • Wendy carries a flower that can summon her sister Abigail's spirit. 
  • Abigail's spirit gets stronger over time but starts over if she is destroyed.
  • Abigail's might is tied to Wendy's health, making her fight harder while Wendy is weak. 
  • Wendy can ask Abigail to stay close to her or roam more free via Abigail's flower.
  • Wendy does not lose sanity due to ghosts.
  • Pipspooks can now be found roaming around gravestones.
  • Wendy can commune with Pipspooks to help them find peace in exchange for Mourning Glory.
  • Wendy can use Mourning Glory in her Ectoherbology crafting tab to help her sister's spirit in various ways.
  • Wendy has reduced damage in combat, but suffers less sanity drain from auras and the dark.  

> Abby gets stronger as she stays alive.

Could honestly be pretty good. Definitely helps goes against Abby spam, and pre-crafting Flowers to make a new Abby the milisecond one dies.

This does however encourage a Wendy player to constantly have Abby spawned... Mixed bag, I'll really have to play around with it to make a call on it.

> Abby's power is TIED TO Wendy's HP. Lower HP = Stronger.

This could honestly make or break Wendy as a whole. If Wendy is at 100% HP, is Abby WEAKER than she currently is (at ect time of day) ??? If so, Abby could be seen as near-useless most of the time...

It could really encourage Wendy players to be in one-shot range of pretty much any threat for the sake of a stronger Abigail. "High HP Abby isn't strong enough, I need to go eat some Monster Meat to lower my HP." Could cause a spike of over-competent Wendy's who over-rely on Abby to get one-shot randomly and die.

It's really a mixed bag, and as a Wendy main I'm honestly worried about it.

> Wendy can ask Abigail to stay close to her or roam more free via Abigail's flower.

PERFECT. Now if only we could get a 'park' option so Abby could stop getting in the way of me building entirely. It'd honestly be amazing if we could just have the ability to tell Abigail, "Stay girl, sit. Good girl!"

This is especially important since whenever I start to build, I either kill my Abigail immediately or just don't spawn her. An option to just keep her in one place would be amazing.

NEW DETAIL:

> Added one detail that we missed: Abigail's damage is affected by the number of enemies she is fighting, allowing her to be effective against a single enemy but at her best when fighting a crowd.  

I'm worried about the vague wording on this detail. It could mean one of two things:

1. Multi-target Abby is STRONGER than Single-target Abby. (But Single-target is still viable.)

2. Multi-target Abby is WEAKER than Single-target Abby. For example. -10% damage per additional mob?

The wording is super vague and worrying as it again, could make or break the character.

> Pipspooks can now be found roaming around gravestones.

> Wendy can commune with Pipspooks to help them find peace in exchange for Mourning Glory.

> Wendy can use Mourning Glory in her Ectoherbology crafting tab to help her sister's spirit in various ways.

Honestly this is probably the least invasive way to give Abigail some modifications (like Woodie's rework) and still have it be completely optional. It doesn't make the old system more confusing, and doesn't force players to use the new system. I like this. I will probably never go out of my way to augment my Abby, but you never know.

Thanks for having that completely optional. I highly approve of that.

TLDR: As a Wendy main, I've always been against the idea of a Wendy rework, seeing that she never needed nor deserved one. This rework though? Half of it is so vague it scares me to death, and the other half I absolutely love as it's small changes that are mostly optional.

Archived