Walani, and why she's perfect for Return of Them

6 minutes ago, Desblat said:

How does she stay in ocean in night?

If the board takes the hand slot then miner hat exists, but this doesn't mean the board can't unequip whenever Walani walks towards or into the water with it equipped, making it a tag or data.insertnamehere, and swapping it back to the handslot on land. Even can do a check for the player and push a quote when she tries to land with her hands busy informing the player to free her hands first. I think it's a bit easier than you are making it out to be.

14 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

If the board takes the hand slot then miner hat exists, but this doesn't mean the board can't unequip whenever Walani walks towards or into the water with it equipped, making it a tag or data.insertnamehere, and swapping it back to the handslot on land. Even can do a check for the player and push a quote when she tries to land with her hands busy informing the player to free her hands first. I think it's a bit easier than you are making it out to be.

I can totally see that work, I don't believe klei would go in that direction.

Day two and the thread isn't on fire, decent start.

Let me address a few things.

- I said in the OP that Walani *will* feel a bit bland in the ocean because RoT's ocean isn't complete. We don't know what will be in the ocean, therefore we can't really tell how to make Walani the most fun/balanced in regards to it.

-About Klei not wanting to add single-person boats, where/when has this been said? Giving Walani a mechanic like that would make her special, which is what Klei is going for in the reworks, right? Plus if surfboards are hindered when non-walani players use it, I don't see the issue. In the case of the surfboard being a 2-person boat and Walani being little more than a transporter, that may be fun at first but I can see that role getting really tiring really quickly. I'd prefer "Ocean exploration/foraging(/survival?)" over "Water taxi."

- @DavePlaysDST Delete this.

8 minutes ago, Canis said:

Day two and the thread isn't on fire, decent start.

Let me address a few things.

- I said in the OP that Walani *will* feel a bit bland in the ocean because RoT's ocean isn't complete. We don't know what will be in the ocean, therefore we can't really tell how to make Walani the most fun/balanced in regards to it.

-About Klei not wanting to add single-person boats, where/when has this been said? Giving Walani a mechanic like that would make her special, which is what Klei is going for in the reworks, right? Plus if surfboards are hindered when non-walani players use it, I don't see the issue. In the case of the surfboard being a 2-person boat and Walani being little more than a transporter, that may be fun at first but I can see that role getting really tiring really quickly. I'd prefer "Ocean exploration/foraging(/survival?)" over "Water taxi."

- @DavePlaysDST Delete this.

THANK YOU, Designated Water Ferry is not fun AT ALL in any way shape or form.

not only would it NOT be fun for the person playing as Walani.. but what if you have a Grieving Walani player who kidnaps you once you board her surfboard and then never takes you where your wanting to go? 

It was a nice suggestion, but I always look at things with both the positive AND the Negative effects in mind.

So let’s stick with the Idea that she can craft Surfboards for others but due to them not being expert surfers like Walani.. they have a Limited amount of time before they Wipe Out.

42 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

THANK YOU, Designated Water Ferry is not fun AT ALL in any way shape or form.

not only would it NOT be fun for the person playing as Walani.. but what if you have a Grieving Walani player who kidnaps you once you board her surfboard and then never takes you where your wanting to go? 

It was a nice suggestion, but I always look at things with both the positive AND the Negative effects in mind.

Why do you always talk about troll-usage of things? Do you really meet trolls that often?

Someone please, draw that Grieving Walani Kidnapper, that would be good meme.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

-About Klei not wanting to add single-person boats, where/when has this been said?

Single-player boats could have been the 1st thing to be added into ocean, because

1) textures - ready,

2) code requires rework, but it's mostly there.

But for some reason klei desided to make platform boats 1st. It's either they were not planning to add single-player ever or they want to add them after they put more content into ocean. Last option seems odd, because ocean content (such as mobs island config) obviously should be planned around ways to move at sea - big/small boats.

Anyway I hope that I am mistaken and single player boats + Walani would make it. Water taxy idea is cool btw.

Hey, It's me :)

I wanted to finally speak up on the resurgence of Walani love post-Warly a little!

I don't mean to hijack your idea thread with a big block o' text, but I didn't want to make a whole new one since this one already has eyes on Walani

Spoiler

What interested me was actually that grief stages meme, it implied Joe answered about Walani's current status

For those curious like I was: joewalani.png

Obviously I know better than to assume people complaining is far from the only reason she wouldn't be worked on right now but I felt the need to make a case for Walani in both her and the community's defense. I'm not gonna speak for anybody but myself here tho, at least I'll try not to!

Over the many years I was super involved in DS/T the Shipwrecked Characters grew a stupidly large importance to me. But, as time went on I was far from the only person actively talking about how much I liked them or wished they were in DST. And what d'y'know Warly sailed ashore on the ol' Multiplayer Isles one day and I have no doubt in my mind that was at least partially thanks to the community. Now the support for 'em is bigger than ever!

Just look at the refreshes! They pretty much choose the characters people are wanting the most, with the next one very obviously being Wendy. When Warly was announced there was an uproar, a positive one! Years of hoping and asking paid off!

The thing is, more people play DST than DS these days, we kiiinda technically don't already have Walani. I ain't counting my mod! Yeah, we already have this stuff in mods and singleplayer but throughout my fanart-ing times I cannot tell ya how many times DST players didn't know she existed. When Warly released he was a whole new character in the eyes of less involved folks from what I saw!

People joke about 'my ds main first!' but if Walani were to be announced I have a feeling the response wouldn't be a majority complaining, and more so the likes of Warly/Wormwood's response. Which was pretty positive, but I may be biased cause I loved it. Feels like a win to me!

Of course, people are gonna complain literally every update and announcement, it really shouldn't dictate too much. Mainly cause I see complaining about the characters they put love into already anyways... BUT I understand, I dev a lot too! I see how wanting people who are super invested (i.e. folks here) are about fressshhh epic new content, I don't mean to drag anything/one tho. I appreciate the devs are as honest and open as they are, really. Throwing stuff to the wolves can get messy, y'know! Joew <3

The DLC monsters are cute, but intentionally lore-less. I feel like it may be more pleasing to lore-eyes to see humans sailing up like Warly did too, that could easily be expanded upon!

Ok, unnecessary ramble 2 done!

TLDR: Sharing your support of Walani is still the best way to show the devs folks would be happy with her in DST

Spoiler

Also if she arrives to dst I think we can all agree she gets those lip teeth of Hamlet gave her filed out.

2772817cbb.png

Keep up the fun sea-suggestions, strangers!

41 minutes ago, thomas4846 said:

@Canis you fool, blinded by love and passion you do not see clearly .
Do we need Walani, truly?

Spoiler

Do we need Wilson, truly?
Do we need Willow, truly?
Do we need Wolfgang, truly?
Do we need Wendy, truly?
Do we need WX, truly?
Do we need Woodie, truly?
Do we need Maxwell, truly?
Do we need Wes? No.
Do we need Wigfrid, truly?
Do we need Webber, truly?
Do we need Winona, truly?
Do we need Warly, truly?
Do we need Wortox, truly?
Do we need Wormwood, truly?
Do we need Wurt, truly?
Do we need Wilbur, truly?
Do we need Woodlegs, truly?
Do we need Wheeler, truly?
Do we need Wilba, truly?
Do we need Wagstaff, truly?

You could plug any character into this and the post retains the same effect. Just wanted to point that out for funsies.

Also, I clearly said in the OP why Walani is perfect for RoT, I never said she was an absolute requirement.

I really find it odd that Ive seen "Do we need her though?" pop up a few more times other than this, especially since we're talking about additional content in a video game. On the same hand, posts are usually left at just that with no additional opinion or anything, so I view it as a hand-waving gesture.

Edit: and if this is a half-assed meme of me "being in love" or whatever, please feel free to spam me in discord (don't) but keep it out of this serious discussion.

1 hour ago, axxel said:

Walani deserves the wet perks Wurt never got. 

I'm still to this day impressed that not a single character has any benefit/major disadvantage involving rain or wetness.

Like Wormwood for example, rain could have been a less dependable passive way to heal yourself with a character that already has so little options for healing, (manure only heals for 2 hp and no longer can be quickly used like in singleplayer.) And yes, I get it, plants can drown, even magical moon/vine amalgamations, I guessI just thought It'd make for some neat little bonus to gameplay.

Wurt, a member of a species that is supposedly made of fish(?), also doesn't benefit from rain, she has her wetness tool slip resistance, but she suffers the same as anyone else when too wet, freezing, sanity loss. I think it'd make sense if she were to gain sanity from the rain, at least, seeing as how she gets rather excited to play in the rain in her quotes. :wilson_curious:

(Can aquatic lifeforms even be "too wet" to live? o_o)

(?) - according to Kevin's answer from a while ago, not sure if it's still the case, they are fish people nonetheless though.

Walani could certainly fill that void, not sure how, though, but it'd definitely make her a great spring character and more versatile if rain/wetness becomes a bigger threat in the future of Return of Them. I'd especially enjoy her addition even more with the inclusion of new islands for those who want to explore the new content quicker or simply for travelling if the ocean becomes as large as shipwrecked's (though for consoles I'd imagine they would shrink the ocean a tad bit and have the islands closer together.)

Oops, sorry for the wall of text. TLDR: I'd enjoy Walani's inclusion just the same as any character's inclusion, a welcome addition. :D

So here’s an Idea- What If Walani’s Faster Drying Off was used to Dry Wet Tools and Wet Food at a much Faster rate?

Like Other Characters have to fully fuel up a nice Warm Campfire or hold an Umbrella over their heads for this effect, so this would be a nice little Upside for Walani.

As far as Downsides go maybe she starts to go Insane if she has not Been Out Surfing for a little while? A Chill Surfer Gal seems like the kind of Character who lives for the thrill of the Ride.. So it makes sense I guess?

I’ll leave Upsides and Downsides for Klei to figure out I’m just giving reasons as to WHY she should be included.

Surfboards.. which move much easier and fit into areas Gigantic Boat Cookies can not.. does she really need anything more than that?

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You know what, Myself, @Canis and others who want Walani have stated why #WeWantWalani.

So now I need some other people to express why we DON’T need Walani.

please be logical and provide good solid reasoning other then: “Walani Sucks!! So and So would be much better HA HA!”

Walani is not currently in the game.

Putting Walani in the game would require work.

Walani doesn't like work.

So the best way to honor Walani's spirit would be to not to do any work AKA to not put her in the game.

I want someone to come in here with a legitimate reason as to why Walani should not be added into the game.

I Hear people saying stuff like “I am sorry for your loss.” But No One is providing any reason as to actually WHY. 

We all know that the ocean and Return of Them Content is an Unfinished Concept.. But I figured it would only make logical sense that the very Moment we got an actual Sailable ocean that Walani would be one of the first candidates in line for a Port.

Most people just talk about her Surfboard, my question is what else?

And since there isn't much on the high seas (as of now), what 'land perks' or 'team perks' could she have?

more range than the sprinkler but less then the ice fling-o, effects can stack, require rabbit earmuffs to not be effected

- Breeze boxes - slows the speed of players/mobs by 25%

- Bustle boxes - speeds the speed of players/mobs by 25%

- Blast boxes - stuns players/mobs and deals 10 dmg every 5 secs

(Walani players are immune to the negative effects)

- Octo-chest - octopus collects materials like the lazy forger, it has a inventory of 6 (tip - place it near a spider-wars)

- Colored Auras - Walani can see how much health mobs have (Blue = highest  Yellow = medium  Red = low)

- Beach towels - helps wipe 15 wetness it's portable with 10 uses

- Beach umbrella - works like palm leaf hut, prevents overheating and wetness

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I want someone to come in here with a legitimate reason as to why Walani should not be added into the game.

I Hear people saying stuff like “I am sorry for your loss.” But No One is providing any reason as to actually WHY. 

We all know that the ocean and Return of Them Content is an Unfinished Concept.. But I figured it would only make logical sense that the very Moment we got an actual Sailable ocean that Walani would be one of the first candidates in line for a Port.

Because Woody is more interesting as a quick scouting character and has other abilities outside of that and a pirate ship is more interesting as a luxury long term option. 

We don’t need a floatie, and she’s worse that Wilson in her base game.

Archived