Walani, and why she's perfect for Return of Them

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well I can’t speak for PC players since they’re into all their stats and numbers and all that fancy stuff- but I can say that console players have no idea what the stats and traits of the characters they’re playing are.

how am I supposed to know Wendy’s damage is weaker than (Insert Whoever Here?) without direct Damage numbers popping up off the enemies I’m Attacking, or without a MOD that tells me this information or Wikipedia page I’m NOT going to know that knowledge.

And that’s the largest differences between PC players and Console players.. We can careless how “Bland” Walani is.

if they ported her into DST with minimal to no changes at all from SW I don’t think anyone playing consoles going to notice or even care they’ll just be happy she’s in the game.

For those on PC who DO Care about all those stats and numbers... you’ve always got mods you can fall back on if she Makes it into the game & doesn’t play to your liking.

So- TL:DR I’m tired of trying to come up with special perks and reasons as to WHY Walani should be in the game.. it’s not my job to do that, I simply want to play as her, Isn’t that reason enough? :( 

Please stop asking for a straight port. She has next to nothing going for her in Singleplayer. All of her stats are very low impact, except for the surfboard.

2 hours ago, Canis said:

Immunity to grogginess could be an alright niche. She can't be tired if she's already tired.

I don't understand the "70%" thing. Do you mean that she gains LESS stats from sleeping? If anything, shouldn't it be the other way around?

the -50% passive sanity which indirectly makes sleeping less effective which isn't something wanted, so I gave her +70% to counter that; Bottom line Walani gets +20% sanity gain and +70% health gain over Wilson, making sleeping more beneficial as her

(In hindsight I could've just made the -50% sanity effect all passive sources except sleeping, and sleeping gets +20%)

edit: I scrapped the idea of included Music boxes with addition passive effects like -20% speed for mobs thus better kiting for the team, but I change my mind since it might of been similar to Winonas machines

Hi everyone ! I don't speak too often on the forums... but I wanted to share somes of my opinions on Walani.
First of all, I didn't read everything, mostly the first pages and the last (1 -3 and 7-8) so maybe that I will just repeat what someone said, and I'm already sorry if it's the case, I'll give you the credit if you tell me !

What I think about Walani being added and what I imagine :

Spoiler

(I don't really love Walani like @Canis or @Mike23Ua does, I don't love her persona that much, I just find her alright, so I'm not talking with the voice of someone who could die for her.)
So. If it's not clear, my opinions are purely based on : How I feel about a DLC character added into RoT and how I felt when I played her (Walani in this case).

Walani would be a great addition to RoT, besides her very poor perks, that are just, purely for SW, she have a good fan base, and the hype about her being into DST would be something really appreciated by people (just like Warly, the hype was soooo awesome, and I feel like I'm not the only one to think like this.)

Beside her popularity, she can be something wonderful into RoT, if Klei choose to add her, they will rework her around the sea that they want to make on DST, so, don't imagine her having anything from SW besides her surfboard.

(And for "balancing" because people are being scared about this surfboard being far superior than the floating platform that we have. We can imagine something.)

We can imagine something like this :
The surfboard have 75 hp, it degrades over time using it, and it takes damage just like the cookie boat.
It can't be repaired.
And it can only be useable by Walani.

(it would make the surfboard a nice boat for gathering resource like salt, and kelp in early game, or if you need to do a little trip for just gathering the resources that you need, but it would be unable to let you have the time to gather 8 stacks of salt, or moving all the bull kelp of the map to the main land, where the cookie boat is really helpful for doing those. I know that Klei want to rework all the characters and make them being more into the multiplayer thing, so choosing to make the surfboard only is something maybe a bit too off for some persons, but I think not, it would make her a reliable early character, that could synergize well with other character like Wurt for example, by doing something only her could do with really low effort.)

That's, my opinion about Walani.
For those who don't want to read, a little recap of what I've said (I've wrote alot and it's ok to feeling lazy about all of this text) :
-I want her into DST, I don't mind about another DLC character added into DST.
- She should be reworked around the sea of RoT to be really something.
-Tweak her surfboard. 
And that's it, if you feel ok about what I said, that's nice, if not, it's alright, I'm sure that we can find something where we agree at some point, I don't blame you if you think that my ideas are pure trash, it's only opinion based.

I hope that everyone can find some joy to share ideas here, if it's not the case, go make things that make you feels nice ! I hope that everyone is having a good night/morning/day (depends on when you read this hehe.).

Having Walani in the game for the surfboard is nice I guess, but without waves she doesn't get her perk and really even in SW most people used the Quakering Ram and Iron Wind on the boats to get around faster. Really though, I would rather have a character that contributes to the lore of the Constant that we know that Maxwell created (which now is run by Charlie). We already have Warly, which personally to myself is just a bit more interesting than stoner surfer gal. I don't at all hate Walani, I love her as a character but I feel her character best suits the world of SW better and adding her on the crew with the rest of the gang is just a bit out of place. 

The whole boating mechanic of SW and DST are completely two different things, sailing in SW feels wayyyyy better than it does for DST with also adding the fact there's actual weather in place in SW. There isn't any windy seasons in DST (Thank god too because of the lag) but things like that just works better there. I really don't want DST to become a Shipwrecked 2.0 because they have to change up the feel so much trying to smooth implement characters that work better in their given game. I feel the only reason Warly works best is because his mechanic was the most flexible and made sense for a multiplayer game like DST. His perks already works for teamwork as he makes food for people that you otherwise can't make without him. If Walani was in the game I guess she would be more of a solo feel, the most I can think she could do is make surf boards for everyone like a Wigfrid does helms and leave. You wouldn't really need her for anything, her style of play wouldn't be impactful,

They would have to change her perks since there is no waves in the game, and she gets hungry faster than most characters and insane quicker. Those downfalls work in SW because food is a bit harder to gain until you can actually cook, sanity is also harder to maintain due to weather (rain like all the time) and the lack of mushrooms on islands. This would sooooo easy to for her to maintain in DST as there is plenty of food, no need to worry about drastic weather changes, and sanity is easier to gain thanks to Tams, cactus, blue mushrooms, etc. 

I understand the want, but I feel people who really main her just because they love playing as her in SW would be a bit disappointed if she was here with..half the reward of playing her? I'm sure that people really wouldn't care and just play her just cause, but wouldn't it be better if Klei added one more character that was made for DST instead of just porting another character over with not really much to give them? I just really want another character that is not only fun, and different from our usual cast, but can actually be kept on a team without necessarily having to only be needed for one task and leave. Klei isn't going to add anymore characters that effect the lore directly I'm sure as that is being save for updates and events, but god I want something that the whole community can agree on for once that is a good character and Klei actually did a really good job in mechanics, and balancing out with the other characters. 

But that's just my ramble....no Walani for me, sorry.

11 minutes ago, Ali Bun said:

snip

Again, I desperately do NOT want a port. She'd need a rework.

Also I don't see a reason for waves to NOT be implemented if Walani becomes a thing, since there are already DST waves, they just need to be made naturally-spawning.

Her team role would would be to gather ocean resources like salt, seaweed, and anything else Klei decides to put into the ocean. While this doesn't sound like much, it's something to consider when thinking about the utility of her surfboard.

16 minutes ago, Canis said:

Her team would would be to gather ocean resources like salt, seaweed, and anything else Klei decides to put into the ocean. While this doesn't sound like much, it's something to consider when thinking about the utility of her surfboard.

I know we don't know what else will be added to RoT them, but...collecting stuff like that would be a bit usless, just because anyone else can do it. She would really have to add something that would be unique to her and her alone, like Pipspooks for Abigail's potions or whatever. She would have to have like a Woodlegs mechanic then I guess, like finding "special" treasure in the ocean for crafting, but that would be too much like Woodlegs. Also I don't think they would add waves because the boats are a bit clunky as is, they would take damage every time they're hit like boats in SW, but thats a bit unfair as SW has better boats that you can control properly...

The only way I see them adding waves is if they change the spawn rate of them and or, fixed how controlling a boat works, or no damage from waves crashing into you.

1 hour ago, Ali Bun said:

The only way I see them adding waves is if they change the spawn rate of them and or, fixed how controlling a boat works, or no damage from waves crashing into you.

DST waves don't damage boats, they just knock them around a bit.

As for everything else, I don't have a rebuttle. Only Klei knows what would be in the ocean for her.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

how am I supposed to know Wendy’s damage is weaker than (Insert Whoever Here?) without direct Damage numbers popping up off the enemies I’m Attacking, or without a MOD that tells me this information or Wikipedia page I’m NOT going to know that knowledge

"Doesn't hit very hard" That is literly from her 3 stat list. All of the characters have this clear as day on thier perks if they do more or less damage

Wolfgang-"Gets stronger with a full belly"

Wigfrid-"Excels in Battle" (admittedly this is a little vauge, but it still gives off the message that she is better in combat)

The only truly bad one is Wes, but that is clearly the exception versus e other examples. This isn't a issue of opinion, obscure knowlage, or even pro strats, its a problem of you not reading the information the game gives you. While mods can tell you stats, it doesn't mean that the stats aren't there. A full hunger wolfgang will still be the same on pc or console. Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they can't have absurd effects.

We can careless how “Bland” Walani is.

Care less, and Im pretty sure your the one of the few with that opinion. It would be like having a array of complex and delicious desserts, and then there is a choclate bar. Sure people might want the choclate bar, but it would clearly not be up to standard. You may have a craving to have any inkling of your character into this game, but other people aren't like that. People would want a actually good character that meshes well with the others, instead of having them in their for essentially fan service.

f they ported her into DST with minimal to no changes at all from SW I don’t think anyone playing consoles going to notice

That is just a blatent lie.

or even care they’ll just be happy she’s in the game

You will be happy that shes in the game, while many others would be boiling with rage that Klei decided to take time to port in a character that is still as useful and bland as a bag of grass. This is a large sweeping overexaggeration of how the public opinion is. Even if you think it maybe true, I hate when people make broad generalizations for a really niche part of a community, and seeing you hand wave the issue of people not wanting a bland character with the counter point of a niche community being happy she is in the game. I personally don't care if she gets added, but if she is going to be added, she has to be done right instead of just be slapping her over with no thought.

I’m tired of trying to come up with special perks and reasons as to WHY Walani should be in the game.. it’s not my job to do that, I simply want to play as her, Isn’t that reason enough? :( 

This entire thread was based on how Walani was good for RoT but also how she needs to have more to be interesting. Your opinion matters, but in a discussion of how to make a character interesting and how they interact with new content, the idea of "adding her for the sake of adding her" is actially off topic and goes against the entire point of the thread.

23 minutes ago, Canis said:

As for everything else, I don't have a rebuttle. Only Klei knows what would be in the ocean for her

I do think that it's a case of "the new content will just add to her strength" thing. For example, they add a new way to get a lot of fast gold w/o the ruins or they have a brand new weapon that deals more damage then a dark sword but comes from a slippery moving animal on the ocean, they would indirectly improve walani as she would get buffed from them adding this new content, as she would have better access to it. It like how warly gets buffes when they add more simple dishes, because ot just adds to his list with each added food dish.

5 hours ago, Ali Bun said:

I know we don't know what else will be added to RoT them, but...collecting stuff like that would be a bit usless, just because anyone else can do it. She would really have to add something that would be unique to her and her alone, like Pipspooks for Abigail's potions or whatever. She would have to have like a Woodlegs mechanic then I guess, like finding "special" treasure in the ocean for crafting, but that would be too much like Woodlegs. Also I don't think they would add waves because the boats are a bit clunky as is, they would take damage every time they're hit like boats in SW, but thats a bit unfair as SW has better boats that you can control properly...

idk about you but it takes me the entire first autumn just to get a good boat going...  Sure woodie can go into goose form and find the lunar island, but he can't do things on the water like mine for salt, collect drift wood or kelp, or go fishing.  I would LOVE Wilani if only because she would get me on the water a lot earlier.

I don't think she needs to add anything unique for her alone to gather like pipspooks, just like Woodie doesn't have to have anything unique he can gather.  He can run to the lunar island for stonefruit, and he chops trees - honestly I'd rather have a day 1 boat I could pick up and take with me.

I don't think she'd need waves, but because of how few waves there are in DST they could leave that perk in without removing any design space since its effect is about as meaningful as Wurt holding wet tools.

Archived