Wheeler in DST

26 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Just 1 question as I haven't played Wheeler at all - well, I haven't played Hamlet post-Beta, but that's another thing: the objects she shoots via Pew-matic pistol are getting destroyed, right? Because I have tons of Flints, a win-win scenario in my book :encouragement:

Yes I believe they do, I've played the modded version of her though. Its a good way to get rid of the bee stingers, flint and silk if you ask me. 

Personally, I hope no wheeler is added, mostly because I didn't feel her perks were unique, or interesting enough, but since so many people likes her I guess if they reworked her right she could fit DST (I just would never play her). 

Woodlegs would be a "meh" at this point given how little content we have of the sea right now. I'd think of adding Woodlegs or a water related character, once the ocean content becomes interesting, rewarding, and challenging enough.

(10 inventory slots for Wheeler is a nope for me, go back to 15 inventory slots) 

The different modes for the Navi-gadget sounds confusing, keep her the same as in Hamlet and if you had to give her something 'new' give her different types of guns that she can share like:

Pew-matic horn - shoots whatever

Flame-matic horn - shoots fireballs

Soak-matic horn - shoots water balloons

Doze-matic horn - shoots sleep darts

Zap-matic horn - shoots bolts of lighting

No. Let's not waste a rework/new character slot on Wheeler. If they stuck to the one rework a month deadline, then sure. At the current rate, all the characters will be refreshed by 2022. Let's focus on the current cast and that last DLC character.

As a character, I never really liked Wheeler.

As a playstyle, it's okay? Being able to shoot seeds and stuff at no cost of durability doesn't feel right, so I really hope if Wheeler gets ported, that's the one thing that's changed, if not more.

I love Wheeler's design, gameplay, and personality, but Walani and Woodlegs make more sense in the current ocean-focused development phase. At least one more Shipwrecked character should come first, but I'd be happy to see her introduced to DST afterwards.

She'd definitely have to be the only person who can use the Pew-matic and Navigadget, like with Lucy and Warly's kitchenware. Too much of her utility is tied up in her equipment to do otherwise; if she doesn't have it, or if everyone has it, she's basically just a weaker knockoff of Wortox.

Giving the Pew-matic durability seems reasonable. If consuming too many resources is an issue with adapting her to multiplayer, the Pew-matic could be changed to not destroy the items it fires, leaving dead mobs surrounded by heaps of individual flints or charcoal pieces or whatever instead of consigning them to oblivion. (I use charcoal as my mainstay for my singleplayer Wheeler save because I burned down a forest by accident.) Or only destroy specific items, like the soft/flimsy ones in tier 1 that do less damage, because they're more likely to blow away or break apart on impact.

The Navigadget rework seems unnecessary, maybe even counterproductive depending on how switching between modes works and how well-marked your current navigadget mode is; if I dig some gears out of a grave and put them in my navigadget, I'd rather find clockwork monsters than a WX-78 player with them. Why can't you just ask the other player where they are in the chatbox? Is this feature intended for PvP??

Wheeler is probably on the dead bottom of my priority list of DS only characters getting reworked to DST.

I'd really love a Walani rework on DST with a focus of seafaring, fishing and wetness mechanics. Another human female character, seafaring background... She's perfect for DST.

Next, I'd like Warbucks to make a comeback to the constant in DST, which would be amazing and fitting but that has uncertain chances of likelihood. He could bring a Blunderbuss and ruins raiding mechanics, which is very fitting to DST.

With all the non-human DLC characters, I can also see Wilbur fitting to DST in a new wave of DLC characters in 2020, just like Wormwood, but the implementation might be hard due to many postures. Focus on Cave mobs such as Rock lobsters and Splumonkeys is something I'd like and he can provide focus on the latter.

Wagstaff is also a potential DST candidate and may suddenly be added in the future like Wİnona, which I wouldn't mind and would be interested in the lore he brings.

I'm not sure about Wilba as she's a princess in Hamlet but it could be an interesting rivalry between her and Wurt. Also perhaps she can embody the curse aspect of transformations since now woodie has his set more as a magic druid utility abilities.

I'm also adding Winnie here as I'd definitely like a character with animal herding/animal husbandry focus, and she's perfectly fit for it as an unimplemented character.

Speaking of unimplemented characters, Wilton and Waverly could be my other choices for the interesting undead and magic mechanics they might bring, but I mostly see them as potential DLC fodder for the future if Klei decides to continue adding more DLC after we're done with this lineup of four. Don't really see anything in Wallace though. Pyro might be fun but would be too on the nose, and perhaps its better as a modded character in the TF2 lineup, which are probably my favorite mod characters.

Woodlegs, I really don't see much of a place for in DST but I guess if all others were added, I don't see why not, might bring battle focus to seafaring mechanics.

And lastly Wheeler. Really she isn't fit for DST in my eyes, she works fine in single player and her compass and pistol tools could be fun but really, any character I listed above would be a more interesting addition for me at least.

Wheeler as she is now is pretty fine, I think. A potentially high risk high reward character, for those who love to get into immediate danger without armor using dodging as their main safety net. (maybe as balancing she could no longer dodge with armor equipped? i dunno)

Her Pew-matic is really nifty for killing birds, so she may be a good morsel/feather hunter. Also, being a ranged character, she could definitely lend a hand in DPS and overall support. Not sure if she'd need durability on her pew-matic, but Woodie does start with an infinite axe, so...?

Her compass only really serves to help her find resources very early with little prior exploration, but it gets the job done. The idea of her being able to find others depending on what item is used is a really cool idea, and I'd like to propose that there be an additional colored arrow on the navigadget, exclusive to tracking players.

That way, say, if I were to put a log in the navigadget, it'd show me where to find more wood with one arrow, and where a Woodie is located with another. Heck, maybe players could appear on Wheeler's map when she's got their specific items in?

Also, this thread was back in September. :pig:

one last thing, her voice is the echoing of the gods, such a lovely ragtime piano!

Eh, i rather not have her ported to DST. I feel like she's fine staying in Hamlet.

Plus, i feel like she'll be quite broken against bosses. Thanks to her dodge ability.

Her tracking ability sounds quite fun, but tracking players sounds silly. Considering you can tell each other where your location is at.

Better than Walani at least.

I don't think the Pewmatic needs durability at all. People vastly overestimate the power of a ranged weapon that shoots garbage. Just look at the ammo list:
image.png.a239e6369fcb763f8a716617a6860f6b.png
Items in the green boxes here are SW/Hamlet-only. That means your best ammo in DST would be gears, gems, and gunpowder for just 60 damage. If you'd rather not shoot rare items or high-damage explosives into the void, you can instead shoot garbage for 34-45 damage, less than if you just went into a fight yourself with a tentacle spike. This is also DST, where mob health is almost always higher than DS.

Personally I just tend to use it to kill birds, elephant cactus, and occasionally some things I don't want to put the effort into actually kiting. In DST, I'd also use it for stuff like gaining aggro from mobs like goats/skittersquids/Malbatross, and directing followers to attack from afar. Still not anything super powerful and deserving of a nerf, imo. In general, the Pewmatic is a useful but somewhat niche item that I don't think needs any sort of tweaking.

I played Wheeler in DST with the Hamlet character mod. She feels so good in DST and I really hope she comes over to multiplayer. Exploration nomad style is my favorite way to play. And her low hp with dodge makes bosses risky, but challenging in a very fun way. Plus she has the best voice.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:57 PM, RogueGamer12 said:

Eh, i rather not have her ported to DST. I feel like she's fine staying in Hamlet.

Plus, i feel like she'll be quite broken against bosses. Thanks to her dodge ability.

Her tracking ability sounds quite fun, but tracking players sounds silly. Considering you can tell each other where your location is at.

Better than Walani at least.

No.

As Skye said, people overestimate the pewmatic horn waaay too much. 

Seriously, it is a cool weapon... To kill birds and use sporadically. But killing bosses with a slow as manure ranged thing? In a game in wich enemy health is higher than base game? Are you guys nuts? Are you willing to shoot stacks of trash for 10min to kill a Moose/Goose? 

I would rather use a spear for actual combat, thanks. I've always seen the horn as a tool tbh. 

56 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Wow that one really is great, piano carol is heavenly, but is that fanmade? Where did you find it? I'd really like to listen to Warbuck's Carol, brass instrumenta are my fav in an orcestra.

Yeah it's fanmade, My friend made it.

here's warbucks carol, also fan-made
warbucks_carol.wav

On 9/21/2019 at 8:06 AM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Just 1 question as I haven't played Wheeler at all - well, I haven't played Hamlet post-Beta, but that's another thing: the objects she shoots via Pew-matic pistol are getting destroyed, right? Because I have tons of Flints, a win-win scenario in my book :encouragement:

Yeah who's gonna start shooting green gems. I mean, there are dumb people out there, but that dumb?

Stingers and flints all the way bruh

Archived