Warly Makes Landfall in DST Next Week!

Just now, fimmatek said:

Oh c'mon, maybe she just wants to donate spools to support the dev team! :p

But the dev team won't get any spools at all if you spend your spools for skins, and instead of wasting your spools by waving & unraveling the same skin over and over again till you have 0 spools and thus are forced to buy that skin, you could skip the waving & unraveling part and just buy the skin with your money.

4 hours ago, LimeGreenINC said:

Baby Warly is probably one of the cutest things I've ever seen

IMG_20190719_140652_189.JPG

IMG_20190719_140843_167.JPG

Oh, he's biracial, I think! That's so cool!

I like how he's getting a Victorian skin!

Also, can't wait for the veggies! I've been hoping they would get added for a while!

Edit: just realized that he looks exactly like Wybie from Coraline as a baby!

16 hours ago, JoeW said:

warly-motd-release-date.jpg

A ship has dashed upon the shores of the island and our survivors have recovered a new member to add to their team; Warly! Armed with a variety of rare ingredients and fancy cookware, Warly can't wait to spice up the lives of his newfound taste testers... er, friends, with a full-course dinner of brand new meals and invigorating spices.

Dear JoeW, could we possibly get a version of this poster without the text and font?

All that's going through my mind right now is that Warly being in DST basically confirms that Shipwrecked isn't it's own side-canon, and instead part of the actual canon know-how of DST. Same with Wormwood and Hamlet.

But then, this says that Warly arrived to the constant (DST) via boat. Does that mean that, if you sail far enough from the shores of DST, you'll run into the tropical SW islands?

But then, where does that leave other SW/Ham characters? How do they fit into this? Can they even be considered canonical characters, anymore?

Edit: Also, I just realized that one of the shadow silhouettes in one of the pictures might be Warly's child, possibly. Since he's shown to have a baby in some of them, and in those same pictures he looks younger than usual.

Edit 2:

I was really looking forward to playing Starbound today, but no, I had to get sucked into a borderline conspiracy theory.
Anyways, after looking closely at the image, heres what I saw.

image.thumb.png.8254dc9bc8ae084110b6a8384b86363a.png

So my first edit was wrong, Warly doesn't have a son, or at least isn't portrayed having one.

Wait... What if the unknown child in the family photo is his son? Oh god no, please let me rest, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

19 minutes ago, Canis said:

All that's going through my mind right now is that Warly being in DST basically confirms that Shipwrecked isn't it's own side-canon, and instead part of the actual canon know-how of DST. Same with Wormwood and Hamlet.

But then, this says that Warly arrived to the constant (DST) via boat. Does that mean that, if you sail far enough from the shores of DST, you'll run into the tropical SW islands?

But then, where does that leave other SW/Ham characters? How do they fit into this? Can they even be considered canonical characters, anymore?

Edit: Also, I just realized that one of the shadow silhouettes in one of the pictures might be Warly's child, possibly. Since he's shown to have a baby in some of them, and in those same pictures he looks younger than usual.

I want to believe that all DS franchise characters exist or have existed at some point, they probably just haven't met eachother (yet) except for those on DST.

Also I think the baby and youngling in the pictures is Warly himself, and the adult version that is with young Warly is his dad, and it is not not that Warly is a dad.

Just now, ShadowDuelist said:

I want to believe that all DS franchise characters exist or have existed at some point, they probably just haven't met eachother (yet) except for those on DST.

Also I think the baby and youngling in the pictures is Warly himself, and the adult version that is with young Warly is his dad, and it is not not that Warly is a dad.

ha get ninja'd

Another possibility is that lore-wise they will get rid of shipwrecked entirely, and as soon as Warly entered the "constant-verse" he got into the gorge's plane, straight away. Although Wormwood's video shows clearly that he was made in Hamlet's land and he now exists among the survivors, sort of making hamlet something "real". So who knows.

Stretching out a bit more, he is the one that possibly taught the Gorge's victorian inhabitants how to survive the curse by feeding the gnaw, and then being a chef himself, he proceeded to teach them all the recipes he knew (all the ones we got on the gorge). After that he got to escape and popped back to the constant (or somewhere else), and when our survivors reached the gorge universe, it was mumsy who passed on the knowledge of those "warly's" recipes to them.
This would match with the elder pig saying "someone of your kind was here before" and would also sort of make him a legendary hero for the gorge-verse.

3 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

*Quotes a message which clearly says: "Warly is available for free for all DST players." *

... seriously???

yess... seriously.... sorry mr perfect.... leave your unnecessary arrogance when you clarify stuff...  don't need it .. don't want it

3 hours ago, Chris1448 said:

He's free, not DLC.

ty Chris...  kinda tired when I read it and missed that part... the "free for all players line" was above the one indicating the price and got confused

btw the skins are gonna be weavable right?

------------------------

that aside, so happy some gorge mechanics are coming to DST. :D

9 hours ago, Parusoid said:

BTW for all the modders. I already have a code that brings up the table with consumed foods and time left to forget (assuming it works same as in DS), but displays only within console, I just don't know how to put it nicely on the HUD, hmu if you have an idea 

I was thinking maybe something like the Better PartyHUD or Follower Badges Together.

Hm ... My theory that Warly is the father of Webber is confirmed.  The photo shows that they lived in the village, Warly knows how to use the mill, as well, perhaps Warly had his own harvest. 

Quotes webber:

Farm House: Kinda reminds me of home.

Hoe: I know how to use this!

Wheat: If only I were back at the mill.

I thought Warly's grandma is in the pictures but the old lady just look like Warly's mom. Hopefully Warly will become the first knows parent character (and I hope this for Wicker and Woodie, too!). The big picture looks like there is a younger man and younger women. It cannot be that Klei only presents childless and single characters! :( Otherwise, Mumsy would be the perfect wife for Warly! He and she, widow and one child, perrrfect. Next The Gorge: The Wedding, featuring a wedding cake baking challenge.

Just now, axxel said:

Mumsy would be the perfect wife for Warly!

Hol' up right there buckaroo, that's illegal.

Spoiler

Im getting undertale deja vu all over again and it's not the good kind.

Oh thank goodness, I was so scared his stale moves penalty was going to be removed because so many people threw a fit about it in SW. XD (I enjoy the challenge) I AM SO HYPED FOR WARLY!!!

I hope we get a lot of good fruit & veggie dishes, Warly + Wormwood's synergy is gonna be bomb!

Also I'm pretty interested how seasoning is going to work... My preliminary guesses are they might make dishes fresher, increase the stats (more filling or more sanity gain)... I definitely hope that there are spices that only work with certain dishes/kinds of dishes though.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

Hol' up right there buckaroo, that's illegal.

The only illegal actions on the forums are

1. sexualize Wendy and Webber
  2. cooking Billy into lamb-sauce-memes
  3. make Wes talk

I don't see any problems a humanoid capricorn-human relationship. It's all about hugging, and kissing and more if they want to ❤ I mean you guys make hilariously pair-polls every once in a while.

Just kiddin'. I hope for deeper character developement. I had the feeling Klei like to use characters with no responsibilities for their own families. If DST is going to end someday, some characters should really be with someone. And I just happen to like WarlyxMumsy. It has nothing to do with Undertale.

Okay, here are my thoughts on the Update and the current comunity response, spoilers to avoid bloating this comment with long theorizing text

On the topic of this carpet-bombing of cool content:

Spoiler

I am in love with every single thing mentioned in the post, this update hits it home so hard I had to find a new one. Let's go by parts:

-Warly is actually quite balanced, even leaning on the harder side, as far as his downsides go. I don't know how powerful his spices will be, but I'll leave a bullet point specifically for them. Here's the thing, every Warly perk and downside builds and leans upon each other, and that's something incredibly satisfying to think and talk about:
Only eating Crock Pot dishes is not a big enough downside for him, given his incredible proficiency to cook, but his second and most important downside depends on this quirk to be a game-changer: Warly can't just spam Meatballs and Pierogi. These two combined ensure that if a player wants to play Warly, they have to not only learn the basics of Crock Pot survival, they have to be the chef. Finally, Warly's faster hunger drain nails the Chef analogy home: You won't appease every client by just making soup, and Warly will feel like an entire mob of hungry picky-eaters. That is incredibly well-designed and I'm so happy Klei came up with this.

-Adding new foods and recipes coudn't have happened at a better time. I don't even mind if half these foods are sup-bar 37,5/5/3, Cooking dishes and memorizing situational life-saving recipes was one of the most amazing experiences I had in DST, cooking is an incredibly powerful ability, and having new ways and outcomes to this process makes me feel like a child all over again. This also means even if you don't enjoy Warly's new perks, you have a reason to be hyped for this lovely mid-year Christmas day. 

-Spices, oh boy, spices.
Warly is already A-tier for me, single-handedly because of this perk. He will be the first character in-game to have an entire mechanic exclusive to him. An entire new layer of cooking, that solely depends on him. That. Is. Insanely. Powerful. It all boils down to how powerful and varied spices will be, someone already mentioning how Raises Temperature by X is a bad idea, because 99% of the time you can make a dish, you can make a(n) (endo)fire... right?
Well, with any other character, yes, that would be the case, but having a Portable Crock Pot makes the temp-affecting dishes actually not garbage, if done right. Imagine dashing through the snow, being at 1°C... then eating a Spiced Ratattouile and going back to 50°C. Add insulation to that and Warly has no business getting cold/sweaty at all. I have to reiterate that we need more creative and impactful effects, to compensate for his downsides and Only-Warly restriction, but all I argue is that having temperature control as Warly is still quite neat.
I'd also like to mention that if Nitre (Saltpeter) will be used for Salt Seasoning, we need Salt Rocks (Halites are usually formed after ocean evaporation and/or very arid places, so it could be added to the Moon-Rocky Biome or the Deserts). Nitre has become useful enough to require a better way to drop in my opinion.
But regardless, Warly having an exclusive extra layer to the cooking mechanic fits him perfectly, complements his perks and makes him quite meta in the team-playing scene, but for all that to happen, we need good effects, like...

Percentage-Base Healing Buff (the more a recipe heals, the more it will heal, so healing recipes not only will stay relevant, they'll be even more relevant.)
Speed Boost (not as obscenely game-breaking fast as Coffee, but even a simple 10% increase for half a day, or 20% for a quarter, would be a really nice addition to the already existing methods.)
Sanity Regen (like Jelly Beans, but sanity. It's not game-changing, but it'd greatly increase Ruins-rushing possibilities)
Previously mentioned Temperature Increase/Decrease (already mentioned, would be actually nice)

Okay, that's probably all I have to say about the update... which is already a lot. yey

On the topic of Community Feedback:

Spoiler

image.png.8305afe2b04437f6fdf00bdcd61176ab.png

...the dude with glasses is clearly Warly's father, ya poops, his mom gets older in the lower picture, because Warly is the baby in the first.
that being said. Warly being Webber's father would be interesting, to say the least.

ye das all.

I don't expect anyone besides a very dedicated staff member to actually read the entire thing I wrote about the update, but if any of you actually did, thanks for your time <3

Archived