You biggest annoyances?

On 12.6.2019 at 2:49 PM, metallichydra said:

biggest annoyance: cant play this game more than 24 hours a day

Use the Sol Unit (one solar day) and start a expedition to the Mars => 1 SOL => 24 hours 39 minutes 35.244 seconds

Now you have more than 24 hours to play the game. Enjoy! :D

1 hour ago, DustFireSky said:

Use the Sol Unit (one solar day) and start a expedition to the Mars => 1 SOL => 24 hours 39 minutes 35.244 seconds

Now you have more than 24 hours to play the game. Enjoy! :D

Venus would be better. That would give you around 5830 hours (around 8 months). It's still not enough, but it's the best the solar system has to offer.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:06 PM, RonEmpire said:

I definitely agree with this one!    Every time I deconstruct a deoxidizer thinking that I got rid of all the polluted oxygen in the room, it starts leaving tiny packets of them still floating around.    So usually I have to create a 1 by 1 block to trap it and exploit it with the single tile element rule to delete it manually by building into the 1x1 block trap. 

They really need to either destroy the po2 on deconstruction or just convert it or create a gas bottle.

Having it drop a bottle would be a simple solution. However, i don't see why it can't process all of the packet and leave 0 behind. If there's a good reason that it doesn't, again just drop a bottle so i can move the packet somewhere i want.

26 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

Having it drop a bottle would be a simple solution. However, i don't see why it can't process all of the packet and leave 0 behind. If there's a good reason that it doesn't, again just drop a bottle so i can move the packet somewhere i want.

the bottled solution should be the one that makes sense. no loss of mass.    I mean in real life  if you're going to remove some tiny box that sucked in gas/odor.  you could easily capture the gas with just a trash bag and deconstruct the box- and be left with a bag of gas to move it to release it somewhere outside.  

or they could add in a vacuum cleaner/device that dupes can walk around with and suck up gas and empty the bag somewhere.

The biggest annoyance for me is the FPS drop in late game, along with the atrociously long hang in the game when saving late game.  I once timed how long it was taking the game to save, and multiplied that by my cycle count (minus a couple hundred cycles to account for fast saving early on), and it came out to several hours spent just saving the game. :(

Edit:

16 hours ago, stgo said:

- There are no signals on tank to know when they are full

- There are no signal on reservoir either.

You can figure out when tanks are full by having a pipe/vent feeding them bypass (i.e. go through the white arrow and continue), and using a liquid/gas element detector that senses fluid/gas.  Once the tank is full, the bypass triggers an automation signal that you can use to stop pumping fuel in and allows you to easily empty all your supply lines, which is how I fuel all my rockets.

As for the reservoirs, you can use some creative automation to "read" if a reservoir, or set of reservoirs, is/are full as well.  I'm not going to tell you how in case you want the joy of figuring it out for yourself, but I can say think about the element sensors and liquid/gas bridges.  If you get stuck and want an example let me know and I can show you how.

18 hours ago, stgo said:

I am quite unhappy with the state of the automation especially regarding rockets :

- you have a signal for checklist complete but that includes having an astronaut and roof open

So there is no clean way to automate the rocket. I made a compromise build where I use the command capsule output to stop any production to fill the rocket and a space scanner as a way to restart them but it is not good enough. I am only using oxylite and petroleum at this stage but once I move to LOX then I will have LOX moving aroung in pipes for nothing ...

You know, you can detect filled tank by adding loopback and detecting liquid pass tank by using element sensor?

Or detect filled pipe by two Bridges and element sensor?

19 hours ago, stgo said:

I am quite unhappy with the state of the automation especially regarding rockets :

- you have a signal for checklist complete but that includes having an astronaut and roof open

So there is no clean way to automate the rocket. I made a compromise build where I use the command capsule output to stop any production to fill the rocket and a space scanner as a way to restart them but it is not good enough. I am only using oxylite and petroleum at this stage but once I move to LOX then I will have LOX moving aroung in pipes for nothing ...

Reservoirs have an automation output in the High Flow Storage mod. As for rockets, adding more automation outputs shouldn't be that tricky. If anybody wants new automation outputs on any building, do tell, but please tell it in more details (precisely which building and precisely what it should trigger on) and then it will be easier to implement both for Klei and for modders.

Up to this one. Don't know if someone menitonned it earlier.

When I begin a new map, as an example, you used to build a storage near your coal generator. You check coal into the storage list. Because coal is the only consumable ore discoverd at this moment, it checked Consumable Ore also.

Then few cycle after, you discover bleachstone. And, because consumable ore is still checked, dups are moving bleach stone into the storage of your gen room. Even if you're looking closely, you'll end up with one, or more, damn annoying chlorine pocket.

It works as well with algae. You check algae, and after some more exploration, you ended up with slime just next to your algae distiller, in the center of your base (as for each new game).

Please change this... If we check Coal and not Consumable Ore, which is adressing the whole sub-category, do not auto-check new element that also enter into the same sub-category...

The biggest annoyance for me is the new heat system that makes life in Rime impossible. And the life in other planets way harder. I feel i'm playing inside a pot ready to cook my dupes. No fun on it.

Mine is the mopping task. Without supervision a dupe will spend half a cycle mopping the first tile in a line of liquid tiles. The first time he gets 10kg of water in a bottle. Then as soon as he stands up, 100g will leak from the neighboring tile and he'll mop that up. Then 99g leaks over. Repeat ad nauseam until he's mopping a few mg per swipe.

Then a second dupe comes to help and in a matter of seconds they mop the dozen remaining tiles.

32 minutes ago, Maleus M said:

The biggest annoyance for me is the new heat system that makes life in Rime impossible. And the life in other planets way harder. I feel i'm playing inside a pot ready to cook my dupes. No fun on it.

I disagree. Rime is not impossible.  It is difficult, but its not impossible. The easiest solution is to drop a liquid tepidizer into your closest pool of water.  It isn't the only solution, but it is fast and efficient.

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I disagree. Rime is not impossible.  It is difficult, but its not impossible. The easiest solution is to drop a liquid tepidizer into your closest pool of water.  It isn't the only solution, but it is fast and efficient.

A liquid tepdizer consumes 960w which is too much for early game. Also I have to use the heaters on my farm to be able to make food before I can run pipes with hot liquid through the farm. Without mealice, i have to make mushy bar and fried mushy bar for dupes. It consumes more energy. Also even with liquid tepdizer, the water inside pipes start to cool at some point and break the pipes.
Early game in Rime became a PITA tbh.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:36 PM, Smithe37 said:

The category/list system right now is pure aids right now. Why is fertilizer and phosphorite in a separate category to dirt? They should both be in agricultural.

Dirt and clay are building materials, fertilizer and phosphorite are not. That's probably why.

10 minutes ago, Maleus M said:

A liquid tepdizer consumes 960w which is too much for early game. Also I have to use the heaters on my farm to be able to make food before I can run pipes with hot liquid through the farm. Without mealice, i have to make mushy bar and fried mushy bar for dupes. It consumes more energy. Also even with liquid tepdizer, the water inside pipes start to cool at some point and break the pipes.
Early game in Rime became a PITA tbh.

Rime is SUPPOSED to be difficult early game, considering how the frost makes late game a piece of cake. Not sure what you point is here tbh.

1 hour ago, Kangaax said:

Rime is SUPPOSED to be difficult early game, considering how the frost makes late game a piece of cake. Not sure what you point is here tbh.

It is not that difficult. You have tons of dirt, generous starting water and lots of ice you can melt. I did fried mush for almost 200 cycles, since there was no rush and getting a farm warmed up enough takes a while, especially as you need to warm up whatever the plants need as fertilizer as well.  You also have a lot of algae and you can mine almost everything without suits because there are no germs. 

Different, yes. Difficult, no. Of course, if you are a new player working your way through the asteroids it will be a challenge as there are quite a few things you need to do differently. Hence I think it is well-designed for what must the the objective of Klei here.

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

It is not that difficult. You have tons of dirt, generous starting water and lots of ice you can melt. I did fried mush for almost 200 cycles, since there was no rush and getting a farm warmed up enough takes a while, especially as you need to warm up whatever the plants need as fertilizer as well.  You also have a lot of algae and you can mine almost everything without suits because there are no germs. 

Different, yes. Difficult, no. Of course, if you are a new player working your way through the asteroids it will be a challenge as there are quite a few things you need to do differently. Hence I think it is well-designed for what must the the objective of Klei here.

Oh i absolutely agree, but from what i understood the person i was replying to basically used the fixed 40C to warm their base and says it's difficult without it, to which i was replying that dealing with the frost is kind of the point here and getting a million DTUs/s from the sieve is not exactly the intended way of solving the early game issues.

When a new system is about to finish, and there is 1 tile of pipe to 100% complete, and i saw the dupes just stop it because it is time to eat~

When the dupes just throw the ice on hand due to eat again when he is climbing ladder, and it leave some water on the very lower ground.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, Saturnus said:

This annoys me endlessly. Why can't we type in a number? And why is it in percent and not seconds? How many clocks do the devs have at home that tells the time in percent of the day passed I wonder?

image.thumb.png.86fcd688eda35660bdd16aa27f5afdda.png

The bug that if you put an uncovered geyser on top priority the identity of it is revealed is also really annoying.

image.thumb.png.3b7a3f3df283fa2f0ec915f041929cfa.png

Hey! Thank you for the tip, I hope the devs don't fix this.

Unable to build deodorizers in walls or roofs, irl they can be installed in these places as well.

Storage compactors and bottle emptiers  etc automatically select undiscovered materials in checked categories upon discovery, resulting in slime stored with algae for example.

Being unable to dismiss or customise alerts. I wouldn't mind the long commute alert if I could tell it how long I think a long commute is.

Dupes putting 1g of coal in a generator that has a full compactor right next to it. Normally the dupe runs off and another dupe on the other side of the asteroid decides to deliver the rest, leaving the generator mostly empty for the longest time possible in most cases :D

Jobs and priorities are very annoying to me for a few reasons:
Job categories have a lot of overlap and sometimes are too general. It's far too easy to have farmers running miles every day to grab 25kg of dirt when I just want them to farm.

On that note: dupes running miles to grab 25kg of anything. I think supply and life support jobs should prioritise materials that are already stored in a compactor. It would also be nice if dupes could check for new materials nearby once they have picked some up.

No consistency with numbers as general priority and arrows as dupe specific priorities. They should both probably just be numbers, numbers are easier to identify than a triangle that is either pointing up or down, they look similar. The numbers are also colour coded and there are 9 of them! much better overall.

Edit: formatting

For me:
1. Missing blueprints system (eg. something like you can find in Factorio) 

2. Missing auto-mopping

3. No option to mass (area range) disable disinfect 

4. Missing smart water/gas tank

5. Missing ventilation system allowing moving gases horizontally 

6. Missing conveyor filter

Regards,

Not  having a little checkbox that says "NO PARTIAL ORDERS. EVER" next to it.

This causes so many bad scheduler decisions you can probably come up with a dozen of your own, but here's my examples:

You queue up four ice tempshift plates in your water well to cool it down a bit. Duplicants race to grab any random amounts of ice to deliver to construction site. This includes the tiny bits of 53g ice chunks all over the ice biome next door caused by some water spillage or upper ice slowly melting and freezing again below. Result is puddles of water everywhere. Meanwhile the courier guy can carry 1.76 tons of stuff in one go, he could do 2 at a time, including rounding up all the ice in one giant 1.6 ton lump to carry at once.

Unbuildable tiles due to rounding off the last remaining 11 MICROgrams of whatever the tile is made from.

And finally the coal generator. Have you ever watched a duplicant finally manage to reach the coal generator in time to supply some coal, find a lump of it right next to it and start sweeping it up... IN CHUNKS! sweeper gun-=>aim-=>vacuum sounds-=>126.2kg-=>holster sweeper gun-=>sweeper gun-=>aim-=>vacuum sounds-=>319.6kg-=>holster sweeper gun..... and then if the generator is still running and the delivery task  is active it gets completed in the same sized chunks again (sweeper gun-=>aim-=>vacuum sounds.... JUST PICK IT ALL UP IN ONE GO DAMN IT!)

Second annoyance is build or supply. Why can't I turn off supply jobs entirely? Here's how it went: I printed a stinky. I wanted that stinky because of really nice construction and digging stats, construction and digging preferences, he seemed useful. So what he has noodle arms, I don't need him to carry things I need him to build and dig, right? So I print him and immediately go to priorities to disable all the jobs that require carrying of large amounts of stuff. And then I still have to watch poor old stinky on a construction site trying VERY hard to build insulated tiles while self-delivering 80kg at a time from the (fortunately nearby) debris.

The second one could be disabled with the first one, but honestly if I want a builder I am in fact expecting them to just sit tight and wait for travaldo from the example above to bring all the construction materials instead.

1. Unable to select just one particular material to sweep (unless do it one by one)

2. unable to assign particular dupe to particular machine (so if you want to build few remote "offices" with different machinery and setup to operate sometimes dups will run from one to another one to perform some task and come back. I know it can be control by doors but it would be much easier to just simply exclude some dupes from some particular tasks - operate some machines, or digging particular place due to some dup has high stress etc).

I like building complicated automation, but often the building blocks of automation take up way more space than is sometimes available. Another game I played called Stormworks has a similar system of building automation, but they have a microprocessor block that allows you to build complicated projects all within one 'block' within the 3d world. The block size can be changed depending on what you're building, then you hook up your inputs and outputs into this single block. This also allows you to modify your design inside the block without having to disassemble bits of it, then reassemble.

I really wish there was a button to hide the right inventory panel. I really don't need to see it all the time.

Not so much an annoyance, but one other thing I recall being surprised about in my early days of ONI, there's no drain block. I expected you'd be able use gravity to drain water through pipes to a different lower location without needing to build pumps and wires. 

Archived