If one character where to betray the rest of the team, who do you think it'd be?

Who'd the traitor be?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Who'd the traitor be?

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wolfgang
    • Wendy
    • Wx-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woody
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Wortox
    • Wagstaff

If one character where to betray the survivors for his or her benefit, who do you think it'd be? And why would they betray the team? 

Added Wagstaff because he's important to the lore and will most definetly show up to dst later

I learnt my lesson from last time and didn't add Wes. Because Wes memes are unfunny. There, I said it!

Just now, Terra_Zina said:

If one character where to betray the survivors for his or her benefit, who do you think it'd be? And why would they betray the team? 

Added Wagstaff because he's important to the lore and will most definetly show up to dst later

I learnt my lesson from last time and didn't add Wes. Because Wes memes are unfunny. There, I said it!

Betraying why? For lack of empathy? For willingness to harm? Or without realizing, playing the game of "them" involuntarily? Because the word "betray" has many nuances, I would like to understand better what you mean before voting

1 minute ago, Pop Guy said:

Betraying why? For lack of empathy? For willingness to harm? Or without realizing, playing the game of "them" involuntarily? Because the word "betray" has many nuances, I would like to understand better what you mean before voting

I was thinking more of the harmful traitor. The one that'll play the team like a fiddle, only to stab them in the back. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

9 minutes ago, Terra_Zina said:

I was thinking more of the harmful traitor. The one that'll play the team like a fiddle, only to stab them in the back. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

WX-78, surely. It is completely devoid of empathy, it reveals a cruel will, in the forge was defined "a machine for kill".
Surely a cold calculator, which helps the survivors only for mere rational calculation.

Otherwise, if we mean a more "stoic" betrayal, I would have voted Wilson: he is a man of science, but for knowledge, he would also be willing to perform acts of cruelty.
Not surprisingly, if there were alignments in DST, I think it would be "true neutral"

Finally, a naive traitor would surely be either Woodie or Webber: they seem the most "manipulable", but they would not intentionally hurt other survivors.

I want to say Maxwell but since he is effectively the forgetful god of the Constant I think he realizes there is nothing really to gain.

On a side detail, WX is the only one who has actual plans to overthrow the humans. In fact, put on your tin hats, It's STUPID THEORY TIME with your host, Mack Swell Maxwell Main. Now, the story is that after the event of DST, WX becomes the shadow king, or whatever and becomes powerful enough to overthrow Them. Now, many years have gone by, and we are now in the modern era. Somewhere, in Pillet Creek, a portal opens up a new creation: The Screechers. Yes, I am suggesting that Don't Starve mod the Screecher is canon to the story, for no good reason whatsoever. The kick is, the initial screechers are made.... FROM THE CORPSES OF THE SURVIVORS DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN

Honestly I think the poll would be a lot more interesting without Wagstaff, especially since he isn't even with the main survivor group (yet).

I've never seen WX-78 as an actual "threat". His personality seems like one of those comedic evil villains who talk big, but actually have a heart. He seems more troublesome, particularly with personality, than evil.

Maxwell has already gone through a bunch of character development, and while I think it's possible he could betray the survivors in favor of trying to save Charlie, I think he knows better than to doom even more people, and that Charlie may be too far gone.

Wendy is an interesting vote because I can see her doing something against the group for a similar reason, in favor of her sister. Though I'd much prefer there to be an attempt to manipulate her, and for her to finally accept that her sister is gone forever, and resist. Maybe when considering Webber because OTP.

Wagstaff is entirely self-serving with the intent on using shadow magic, and whatever else proves useful. He's pretty much Maxwell before his "character arc" except he may very well know the dangers—his Aporkalypse Clock quote is especially concerning. For that reason he strikes me as the most problematic and dangerous, but again he isn't even apart of the group (yet).

WX-78, without a doubt. Lets say, presumably, WX had the option to betray the other survivors in favor of himself for it's benefit, such as there being too little food rations or more than enough rations to the point where having a group just slows you down. It would most likely act on that opportunity. 

When I imagine someone that would ever become a liability, WX always comes to mind first.

Maxwell - He would think that this will do good like - if he gets power he can save the others. But in the end everything will be the same.
I think he is most likely to betray them in order to save them... The anti-hero stick (also my favorite type of hero and the reason Maxwell is my favorite).

WX-78 seems the least unlikely, even though up until now they’ve seen the other survivors as useful, I suspect they’re not exactly loyal to the team for anything more then they get out of the deal, whereas the humans tend to have some group loyalty mentality.

Second place, after much deliberation, is given to Wendy. Her highest loyalty is to Abigail, and I think she would turn on any one member of the group to get her back. I also think she would turn on the entire group minus Webber, her only friend, for Abigail. What gives me pause for thought, however is the entire group including Webber. Some of her more recent quotes suggest she’s been growing up a little, so who knows what she’d do in practice.

Third place goes to Maxwell, I don’t think he was ever evil, but he’s used to having to make compromises with his morality.

I don't think WX will betray the team. He always talks like he will, but I feel like he might secretly use the survivors to his benefits.My bets are:

Wagstaff- he is fascinated with nightmare fuel, so he might get corrupted, and he doesn't seem like a guy who'll care too much about others.

Winona- even though it seems like she cares a lot about the survivors, I think she would betray them if it means helping her at all to save Charlie. Or maybe she would betray everybody because she would get easily manipulated by Charlie.

Wagstaff is very open about his desire for the Nightmare Throne and usage of dark magic. He takes the vices of both Wilson and Maxwell (power hungry, fame hungry, discovery-above-morality, ends-justify-evil-means) without the character growth they've gone through due to The Constant. And I believed from the release of Wagstaff and his quotes that he would be a betrayer to gain the throne and all the scientific/magic ability with it in some future expansion. I'm hoping my guess is right and his character arc revolves around understanding why his betrayal was wrong and helping to fix what his actions have brought upon the survivors. 

WX78 is openly antagonistic and violent but he has seen through being in a team that he cannot thrive alone. He would definitely consider betrayal, maybe even successfully fake it, but he has at the very least seen how useful the group is to him and would not endanger his earth-conquering plans which involve the other survivors and The Moon. Though if the nightmares promised to spare his "servants" he would be far more malleable to manipulation by Them. 

Wendy could betray the team for Abigail. But I don't think she would more than contemplate it. Especially if all the survivors trying to revive Abigail is canon. She's very openly close to Webber, and though not as close to the other survivors she has bonded with them. And they clearly hold her and her dead sister in close regards. Her darkened viewpoint would sour ideas of a fake betrayal due to certainty it would go wrong. Not to mention the high likelihood that Maxwell has warned the survivors of Their tricks. 

Winona has not been with the others as long and might be sorely tempted by the idea of saving Charlie. But, like with Wendy, her affection for the group would outweigh thoughts of betraying them whatever the gain would be. She'd be ignited to find another way, even if it is much harder, because she doesn't give up. 

Maxwell has, as stated previously, gone through great deals of character development. He knows more about Them and the powers they hold than any others, he sat restrained upon The Nightmare Throne and watched the woman he loved tear people apart. He knows better than to fall for their deals, even if they weren't ones of trickery. At this point he may not even be inclined to fake a betrayal to try to free Charlie and the other survivors - because he knows the risks. 

Willow may be destructive and at times bratty but she despises the nightmares that tormented her childhood. She may enjoy The Constant but that doesn't mean she'd turn on her family. Even if they tempt her with her deepest desires she might say no if only out of pure fiery spite. 

Wortox clearly has a somewhat developed sense of morality, as well as a good base knowledge of much of the unexplained through the dimensions. Betrayal is not a prank and though he turned on Krampus he did so to do the right thing and wouldn't turn on his new mortal companions unless they crossed some serious moral lines in trying to escape - which is unlikely. 

Wes is a precious, loving cinnamon roll until the klei devs themselves address me and forcefully declare otherwise. Even then I may not heed their canon. I will hold on to Wes' innocence if I am the last mime stan left. (You were right to leave him off the list, the meme teams would have definitely skewed the polls). 

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Have you thought about making a art thread in art and lore?:wilson_ecstatic:

Haha, maybe!

Once I'm able to replace my dead computer, I'll be sure to pick up my pen and tablet again. :D  (R.I.P Computer 2007 - May 16th 2019)

Archived