[Poll] Do you ever turn your camera in-game?

Do you ever turn your camera in-game?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever?

• Yes (always, often, sometimes, almost never; followed and precised by next questions)
    • No, never (legitimately never)
  2. 2. If so, how often?

• Always.
    • Often
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Very rarely
    • Very rarely (and if I do for whatever reason, I try to inmeaditly return to it's original position)
    • I said, never.
  3. 3. Why? (If not, skip this question by selecting 4th anwser and move onto the next one)

• Don't know, just some irrational habit that I can't get rid of.
    • Just to be able to have visual access to objects out of shight.
    • Because I can/I like to.
    • I DON'T turn my camera.
    • Other (comment)
    • Sometimes I do, but try to reset it (reason in the next question?)
    • For fighting bosses
  4. 4. Why not? (If you do, ignore this question by selecting the first anwsers)

• I DO turn my camera.
    • Navigation reasons (you want to know where is North and be able to memorize better the world you're playing)
    • I just don't like to change things and I leave them on default.
    • Didn't know you can do that!
    • Other (comment)
  5. 5. Did you like this poll?

When I started to play DST, I used not to turn my camera at all, but later on when I accidentally walked right into the DF, a Varg, etc. or needed a better point of view, I started to turn my camera. And nowadays I always turn my camera for better view, to see the distance between me and a mob (Deerclops on the left/right side and me on the other side) or just to have more time to have a look on the map or to type something in the chat while still walking.

Only turn it around when I'm actively searching for a giant or item or trail. Otherwise I leave it default forever and make my base around that angle.

You don't really need a mod to do it for you. There's an item that exists literally for this - compass. Or just memorize the world map.

I used to not turn my camera at all because otherwise it was confusing and hard to describe locations to other players, or I would rotate the camera then immediately turn it back to the original position. But now I rotate all the time because it makes life so much easier.

Another reason to rotate is because you don’t want to build on the diagonal, which looks terrible. So with one friend, we both rotate in the same direction just once, at the very beginning, so that our structures aren’t an eyesore but we can still easily give each other dir3ctions.

To all the people who disliked this poll: why.

I am asking, just why. What is the particular reason for you to dislike this poll. The phrasing? Options? Please tell me so I can improve the poll in a way that you'll like it more.

3. Other: Building. I'll usually rotate my camera once to get it lined up with the turf grid and such. That way I can attempt to make it look nice from both angles as I know not everyone like the default camera position. The only time I build in the default view is when I'm placing chests, or when I don't care about making things look nice.

Question 5 lacks an indifferent option. I didn't like or dislike the poll. (There's also a typo in an answer for question 3: Just to be able to have visual access to objects out of shight.)

I'm enjoying this new trend of polls for completely random questions. Sparks discussion and shows some interesting results sometimes.

Anyways, I rotate my camera because it's easier to see things and makes it easier to kite sometimes. I also try to make it a habit of placing or remembering a landmark near the spawn portal so I always know which way is north.

I never did at first, but now I always turn my camera to get a better view of things. It's gotten to the point where I get annoyed when someone mentions where something is from the portal, and they don't get it when I say that I rotate my camera.

With enough experience, rotating the camera is almost always beneficial. You should never view the game at just one angle. Besides, a tidy base with Geometric Placement needs at least one camera turn.

it depends. in base building worlds i rarely change the camera view, but in survival, efficient or speedrun worlds i do it a little more often. regardless of that i always tend to go back to the default view

the fact that you can ONLY turn the camera in a 45 degree makes it feel extremely limited and i generally dont feel the need to do it

I usually only turn it if I need to see somewhere I couldn't otherwise, like behind a tree or something. And during base building, when I can't seem to get the placement to go correctly. I always end up changing it right back to it's original position afterwords, however. I end up getting disoriented and lost if I don't.

I've seen other people change it rather consistently, it's always amazed me how they don't seem to get their directions mixed up. Especially the few I've watched turn the camera in place of just turning their characters with WASD! I'd never know where I was going if I played like that, hahaa.

14 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

3. Other: Building. I'll usually rotate my camera once to get it lined up with the turf grid and such. That way I can attempt to make it look nice from both angles as I know not everyone like the default camera position. The only time I build in the default view is when I'm placing chests, or when I don't care about making things look nice.

Question 5 lacks an indifferent option. I didn't like or dislike the poll. (There's also a typo in an answer for question 3: Just to be able to have visual access to objects out of shight.)

I initially started rotating my camera more often because I saw Joeshmocoolstuff doing it, and the general trend is not rotating while new, and swapping to rotating for vision and combat reasons.

I feel like the poll lacks a “because compass exists” option, which is why I don’t see why navigation is ever an issue.

To all those saying that it makes it hard for communication i tought the same at first but i found this mod that negates this entirely (well it's up to you if you want it or not)

It adds a compass on your screen and it works like a normal one (also spins randomly when you're low sanity).

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=539957958

I rotate it but I like to have one rotation I use the most, that way I know where everything is without touching the map at all. I can't watch people for long on streams when they keep rotating the camera nonstop and looking at the map every 5 seconds.. They probably forget where everything is because of the non-stop rotation.

Disliked the poll because it lacks a no vote commenting why.

Archived