All Released Skins (as of now)

@nome @JoeW

Just a random thought, but perhaps a better way to give away promotional/event-only items would be the way TF2 does it?  In TF2, cross-game promotional or event items are given out in Genuine Quality.  However, a few weeks/months later, the items would become either craftable or droppable in-game, but in Unique Quality.  

In this way, people who participated in TF2 promotions or events still get bragging rights with a higher tier item, but people who didn't can still get the item afterwards.  It should be noted that items in-game (despite having different qualities) look and function identically.

So, translating to DST, perhaps a better way to give away PAX promotional items would be to grant those items in Loyal Quality.  Then a few months later, they would eventually be obtainable in-game as drops at a lower quality (Common, Classy, Spiffy, etc).  

This would allow event participants to own game-exclusive items for several months.  Yet, even after the items become droppable in-game, participants are still able to distinguish themselves by having a Loyal quality version in their inventory (discernible when other people inspect them in-game or view their Steam inventory).

At the same time, this would prevent people from taking multiple codes at events (just so they can make a profit on the Steam market) as Loyal items are untradeable and unmarketable.  As well as solve the issue of event items skyrocketting in price on the Steam market months/years after the event (due to them being limited in supply and eventually become rarer than Elegant items).

EDIT: Or alternatively (analogous to TF2 crafting), event items would be obtainable in-game from the Trade Inn a few weeks/months later.  This would give the Trade Inn a new special purpose.  And dependent on the chance of spawning, also solve the issue of event items eventually become rarer than Elegants.

Edited by Instant-Noodles
  • Like 10

23 hours ago, Instant-Noodles said:

@nome @JoeW

Just a random thought, but perhaps a better way to give away promotional/event-only items would be the way TF2 does it?  In TF2, cross-game promotional or event items are given out in Genuine Quality.  However, a few weeks/months later, the items would become either craftable or droppable in-game, but in Unique Quality.  

In this way, people who participated in TF2 promotions or events still get bragging rights with a higher tier item, but people who didn't can still get the item afterwards.  It should be noted that items in-game (despite having different qualities) look and function identically.

So, translating to DST, perhaps a better way to give away PAX promotional items would be to grant those items in Loyal Quality.  Then a few months later, they would eventually be obtainable in-game as drops at a lower quality (Common, Classy, Spiffy, etc).  

This would allow event participants to own game-exclusive items for several months.  Yet, even after the items become droppable in-game, participants are still able to distinguish themselves by having a Loyal quality version in their inventory (discernible when other people inspect them in-game or view their Steam inventory).

At the same time, this would prevent people from taking multiple codes at events (just so they can make a profit on the Steam market) as Loyal items are untradeable and unmarketable.  As well as solve the issue of event items skyrocketting in price on the Steam market months/years after the event (due to them being limited in supply and eventually become rarer than Elegant items).

EDIT: Or alternatively (analogous to TF2 crafting), event items would be obtainable in-game from the Trade Inn a few weeks/months later.  This would give the Trade Inn a new special purpose.  And dependent on the chance of spawning, also solve the issue of event items eventually become rarer than Elegants.

Sorta what I proposed ages ago. Trade Inn was sorta left to rot in the corner of the collection.

• Like 3

Hey, so I'm new here, not so much to the game, but mainly been playing alone or with a friend, recently decided to start playing in other games I find.

But I have questions about all this stuff here, how do I obtain all of these? It can't JUST be chance, unless I'm extremely unlucky, I've only gotten about 8 things, but I've been playing 68 hours total and I see other people getting all of this stuff when I have so little, is there any reason why? I know some of it is DLC as I see, but what about the clothing and faces for the characters?

Sorry if this has been asked here before.

Edited by Xaltis

3 hours ago, Xaltis said:

Hey, so I'm new here, not so much to the game, but mainly been playing alone or with a friend, recently decided to start playing in other games I find.

But I have questions about all this stuff here, how do I obtain all of these? It can't JUST be chance, unless I'm extremely unlucky, I've only gotten about 8 things, but I've been playing 68 hours total and I see other people getting all of this stuff when I have so little, is there any reason why? I know some of it is DLC as I see, but what about the clothing and faces for the characters?

Sorry if this has been asked here before.

A simple way to summarize skins is like this:

4 skins per week, reset every Thursday around 3:30 PM PST.

Yes, skins are completely random and you could get 4 Elegant's in a row or you could get what basically all of us get, 4 commons in a row for countless weeks.

The Economy works like this; Common, Classy, Spiffy, Distinguished, Elegant. Common is basic stuff, classy is common stuff but usually with exclusive colorways, Spiffy is a jumbled pile of backpacks and robes and now PAX stuff, Distinguished is the outfit that goes with each elegant plus some extra robes, and Elegant's are Heads for the characters, so you can make your normal Wilson into Survivor Wilson etc, also Backpacks, very fancy backpacks.

You can trade these items or buy them on the market.

Loyal is a special set due to them being given out as codes or gifts, per example the Crabpack can ONLY be obtained by purchasing the Crab plush and inputting the code. Items like the Tragic Torch however was given out on completion of a Puzzle.

And that's how skins work.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Mikeadatrix said:

A simple way to summarize skins is like this:

4 skins per week, reset every Thursday around 3:30 PM PST.

Yes, skins are completely random and you could get 4 Elegant's in a row or you could get what basically all of us get, 4 commons in a row for countless weeks.

The Economy works like this; Common, Classy, Spiffy, Distinguished, Elegant. Common is basic stuff, classy is common stuff but usually with exclusive colorways, Spiffy is a jumbled pile of backpacks and robes and now PAX stuff, Distinguished is the outfit that goes with each elegant plus some extra robes, and Elegant's are Heads for the characters, so you can make your normal Wilson into Survivor Wilson etc, also Backpacks, very fancy backpacks.

You can trade these items or buy them on the market.

Loyal is a special set due to them being given out as codes or gifts, per example the Crabpack can ONLY be obtained by purchasing the Crab plush and inputting the code. Items like the Tragic Torch however was given out on completion of a Puzzle.

And that's how skins work.

What about doing the single player modes? Do any of those effect skins, faces, anything? :o

8 minutes ago, Xaltis said:

What about doing the single player modes? Do any of those effect skins, faces, anything? :o

I believe as long as you're online with an internet connection you're allowed to get skins. It doesn't affect the kinds of skins you recieve, however.

If you mean Don't Starve singleplayer by "single player modes", no you can't get skins in the singleplayer game.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

I believe as long as you're online with an internet connection you're allowed to get skins. It doesn't affect the kinds of skins you recieve, however.

If you mean Don't Starve singleplayer by "single player modes", no you can't get skins in the singleplayer game.

Okay that's good, I didn't wanna do the Single player if it LITERALLY effects NOTHING that I can get for my character.

On 9/6/2016 at 1:48 PM, Mikeadatrix said:

Sorta what I proposed ages ago. Trade Inn was sorta left to rot in the corner of the collection.

Trade Inn really did turn out badly. Someone please correct my math. I don't want to be right on this one:

9 Common =   1 Classy
 81 Common =   9 Classy =  1 Spiffy
729 Common =  81 Classy =  9 Spiffy = 1 Distinguished

Market price for Common: 0.03-0.08
Market price for Classy: 0.05 - 0.15
Market price for Spiffy: 0.14 - 0.43, excluding PAX items
Market price for Distinguished: 0.18 - 4.10
Market price for Elegant: 0.98 - 20.55

The most expensive distinguished on the market, assuming the only drops you ever get are commons worth 0.03 (netting you a 0.01 profit), requires a maximum of 410 commons for YOUR CHOICE of a Distinguished. As opposed to the Trade Inn, which requires 729 commons for a RANDOM Distinguished. That's nearly double the cost for zero control. Same story for Spiffy items. I could get a Spiffy for a mere 14 commons.

Nine commons for one Classy? There are only two classy items worth more than the worth of nine cheap commons, and a couple Classies worth exactly nine commons. The rest, it's the same as above: cheaper trade for your choice instead of more expensive trade for no control. I even got a Classy for the value of a measly three Commons.

Trade Inn is so dead, I don't think it was alive in the first place.

8 hours ago, Chris1488 said:

Can confirm, have gotten skins while playing DST solo.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

Trade Inn maths

You're forgetting something quite important there, you have a chance to randomly get something of significantly better quality with each use. Sure this is RNG dependent, but it's a pretty important factor since you're essentially forcing a roll with a reduced loot table.

It's also unwise to base this solely on market values, even if this is the sole reason you are doing it. There are so many things that could make it fluctuate wildly - new items being added, items becoming less desired, items being consumed through the trade inn, the drop system being particularly generous on a certain day, and so on so forth. And say Klei does eventually make it more like TF2's crafting system, or even adds items that could only be obtained through the trade inn, prices will respond in kind.

The point is, you can't just view this solely from a numbers perspective like that. It's another tool at your disposal, another means to an end.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MonsterLasagna said:

I'm preparing just for that occasion.

Don't get me started...

k5ya8mC.png

Been waiting for the weekly recipes for ages now, losing any hope so far, each common drop is another bitter taste every week. Only reason why I haven't gone full seppuku yet is that I had 2 elegant drops since october when the skin system got in the game. The drop chances are not on the players side, they are there to drive and keep the market prices at decent levels. Meh.

Edited by t1morino88eex
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Quyzbuk said:

You're forgetting something quite important there, you have a chance to randomly get something of significantly better quality with each use. Sure this is RNG dependent, but it's a pretty important factor since you're essentially forcing a roll with a reduced loot table.

Is this true? I've never heard of this being a thing before. Any data behind it I could look at?

I'm mostly sour about needing over two weeks worth of commons for a single trade up. If the number was four or five, it wouldn't be as useless as it seems now. Can't complain too much though, since most skins are pretty cheap if you're desperate. It's just a shame how the market currently eclipses the Trade Inn as far as value goes.

It sounds like the TF2 method is pretty good. Having recognition for promo items yet availability for all as second-hand duplicates would be great. I don't know any other details, but I'd be interested to see it in action!

• Like 1

@AlternateMew first of all Trade Inn is not here for you to make money, second of all if it is dead for you with your weird math it doesn't mean it is dead for everyone else. i am using Trade Inn regularly and i like it a lot. If it was better it would be too good. ALSO yes there is small chance you can get 2+ tiers higher item from trading 9 items. It happend to me lot of times so actually you can get elegant from trading 9 commons! PLZ do the math now :)

@t1morino88eex you have 1050 items you can just transfer to A LOT OF money/elegant skins and drop chances are not at players side? :D Even if you do the easiest thing and sell all commons for 0.03 cents so you get 1 cent for each you get 8.42 and you can buy almost any elegant on market and if you dont want Catcoon right now you can even buy 2-3 elegants. Whatever weekly trades bring to the table it wont be this good dude. If it was me [which it was some time ago] i would trade them all in Trade Inn now and hope for good items. The worst that can happen is that you will have 1394083209 pink items which you can still sell for good money and get what you want .)

EDIT: @nome is there any update on crabbie plushie? 

Edited by t0panka
  • Like 2

• Developer
23 minutes ago, t0panka said:

EDIT: @nome is there any update on crabbie plushie? 

Corey's still in post-PAX coma, he'll be back online in a week or so I expect. I haven't been rushing to get the skin into the game because @PeterA will be back from vacation soon and I'd much rather let him do it. :) 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, t0panka said:

first of all Trade Inn is not here for you to make money, second of all if it is dead for you with your weird math it doesn't mean it is dead for everyone else. i am using Trade Inn regularly and i like it a lot. If it was better it would be too good. ALSO yes there is small chance you can get 2+ tiers higher item from trading 9 items. It happend to me lot of times so actually you can get elegant from trading 9 commons! PLZ do the math now

It's nice that some people use it I guess.

How often is "regularly", and how many times is "a lot of times" compared to the total number of times you have used it? Honest questions. I like data!

I did the math, yes. I asked people to correct me because I have a history with math. I like math, but have a routine habit of messing up the formula pretty badly and was hoping that was the case here.

I wouldn't have even bothered to compare it to the Market if waiting so long for a single use of the Trade Inn wasn't testing my patience. I failed the test. In my case, not only would I need nine commons, I'd need nine commons that were duplicates. I'm no hardcore collector, but I am a collector and dislike parting with something I may want access to later. Through playtime alone, I gathered around 5-6 duplicates and was saving them for trading, then happened upon a comment mentioning that the Market was better. So I looked into it. And the results filled me with determination a glimmer of hope that collecting without spending real money wasn't as painful of a task as I thought. I broke that for the PAX items of course, but those are a special case. (One that I am grateful to Klei for making the decision to let them be marketable! THANK YOU SO MUCH! That jacket is so cool!)

I'm not attempting to use the Market nor the Trade Inn to make money at all. I'm using the Market as... well, what I feel the Trade Inn should have been. Exchanging my duplicates for non-duplicates. Don't get me wrong, I'm a greedy little thing that would gladly destroy 4-5 non-limited edition items that other people may want if it means I'm not bothering with the market.

The reason I say 4-5:
- Four items would ensure you could get at least one Classy or higher item each week, even if you need to sacrifice all four random common drops to get it.
- Five items would ensure that it takes more than one week of drops to trade up for a Classy, so they stay a little more special. Heck, make it six if you must. Still stretching it, but still a lot better than the current system.

Current state: You need two full weeks of nothing but common drops, plus one. That's a lot of playtime and a lot of crappy luck. Or really good luck, if you're aiming to use the Trade Inn. Without desirable conditions, it will take over three weeks for one. Single. Trade-up. One trade-up that, excluding a lucky roll of the die, you could have gotten earlier and with more control by simply using the market.

On another note: That's two anecdotal confirmations. I'd be rather interested to know statistics behind this, it sounds like it has potential I didn't know of! Unfortunately, to test it on my own, I'd have to sink in months, nay, years of data collection for a decent sample size.

Or, you know, buy a boatload of commons off the Market.

Or I suppose I could do the Together thing and ask where base is for help gathering data.

• Like 1