Forum Downtime and Changes

JoeW

There are some pretty big issues with the old templates. You should be able to work past any of those issues by going to the bottom and changing to the "Klei Default 2022" template. It's got it's own issues while it gets built out. But it's cleaner and less buggy. 

Woah. The forums are back. This is so weird.
Gonna need to adjust to this.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

so they have been removed as well.

Terrifying, phew.
Is there anyway at all for people to go back and obtain what they might've lost in all of the removed forums??
Art, media, posts, etc? Sort of recovery or backups? And downloads?

I have already backed up my most important stuff from the Off-Topic forum, but it still would've been nice to see the whole thing archived for a few weeks.

Anyways, thank you for fighting the evil robot army (as opposed to the friendly robots) and fixing the GUI bugs!

P.S. Ever-since when am I a moderator? Is that true? Edit: Turns out I am a moderator for a single subforum in the old Don't Starve mods.

Thank you for the update! I'm just glad the forums are back and that you are alright. I was getting worried that something serious had happened (not to imply that bots aren't a serious problem, but you know). As someone that recently returned here after a long break, I'm really grateful that you are still maintaining a community website like this. Coming here felt like coming home, especially thanks to your warm welcome. I'll never take it for granted, but I'm happy you've managed to keep this a thing for so long. Thank you!

5 hours ago, ALCRD said:

On side note i am not sure if i understand the bot and downloads section bit.

Was it a DDOS attack of sort?

Someone got salty at Klei and decided to nuke the forums?

3 hours ago, gabberworld said:

brute force usually used for access the data , like credit cards,passwords and so on.

This, and...

Zombie botnets that unfortunately are prevalent. Vast numbers of computers typically infected with malicious software that scrape forums, using up resources and causing disruption, and doing nonsense for no good reason (and all sort of variants thereof, like mentioned in the post above).

13 hours ago, Blue Moth said:

Okay I don't usually get publicly mad but WHY DID THEY REMOVE THE OFF-TOPIC AREA? MY ART THREAD ON THERE WAS BASICALLY MY ARCHIVE AND NOW IT'S GONE! I used it all the time while at school to find art of some characters I hadn't drawn in a while because I had no other way to access it, and I've been waiting for the forums to go back up so I could go back to it, but I guess not! Guess it's all gone forever! Screw me I guess!

Okay sorry about that angry rant but this has me very upset, please do not kill me ;u;

i know how it feels, it hurts so much, like, its so sad, like, now less people can see art from other people, like, i dont even know anymore, it feels wrong not having it there anymore, like, it just feels wrong, like, i dont even know what to say even, like, off topic was a fun place too where you can do something funny, like how i posted every day a new reptilian anthro character from video games, now thats just not possible anymore since off topic is just is gone, like, i dont know even, i feel so much less motivated now too now that this happend, like, i dont even know anymore what to do...

7 hours ago, lakhnish said:

@JoeW I've noticed that custom activity streams are not working at the moment. Is this a known issue?

Here's one I use to look at posts made by staff members for example: 

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/discover/252

What are you seeing that is not working correctly? When I go there everything looks fine. 

6 hours ago, Echsrick said:

i know how it feels, it hurts so much, like, its so sad, like, now less people can see art from other people, like, i dont even know anymore, it feels wrong not having it there anymore, like, it just feels wrong, like, i dont even know what to say even, like, off topic was a fun place too where you can do something funny, like how i posted every day a new reptilian anthro character from video games, now thats just not possible anymore since off topic is just is gone, like, i dont know even, i feel so much less motivated now too now that this happend, like, i dont even know anymore what to do...

Yeah, I understand and I am sorry for that. However, these forums are not meant to be a social channel for people to just hang out. The off-topic areas (which didn't always exist) were there so people that were participating in the regular forums could blow off a little steam and be silly.  

And time spent fielding debates and arguments that come from off-topic conversations takes away from time on other things. Quite literally off-topic threads or issues that come from off topic threads take more moderation time than anywhere else. 

We're a video game company and we need to focus on that. 

As noted in the original post, many if not most companies have gone away from forums because the signal to noise ratio is just too great. This is becoming the case on our forums too and this is an attempt to correct the issue. 

I might be open to an off-topic art forum though. 

8 hours ago, Oompitie said:

What bots?. I haven’t seen any around the forums, does anyone have screenshots of them?. 

I do actually. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

image.png

:wilson_love:

32 minutes ago, HellHeater said:

what do you mean me putting absolutely random rubiks cube algorithms on my status updates isnt relevant to dont starve bugs?????

I actually had to spend time looking into what that was to make sure it wasn't some sort of secret offensive thing I wasn't aware of. (no offense)

Because people do stuff like that. Often.

I actually considered removing signatures too, but at this time it hasn't been a source of the issues that we have been seeing. 

I hesitate to even say the above as to not tempt fate, but I thought it was worth mentioning so those of you affected can see a little better why these changes might have a little more impact than you might realize. 

Archived