Forum Downtime and Changes

JoeW

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

I actually considered removing signatures too, but at this time it hasn't been a source of the issues that we have been seeing. 

I hope you realise that means we would loose the . , that is way too bad.

On 9/28/2022 at 1:55 PM, JoeW said:

What are you seeing that is not working correctly? When I go there everything looks fine. 

Sorry to bother you again. I seem to have a new issue with the custom activity streams.

Currently, it's not showing me the latest post by Scott under the condensed view. I'm not sure why as it's showing posts made by the other Klei staff.

I did notice that Scott has changed his pfp to an egg, but idk if that's related.

I've even made a new stream and it's still doesn't show Scott's latest post under the condensed view (and in the old stream, Scott doesn't show up anymore after I re-added his name to the ownership to try and "restart" it). 

Here's the issue in video form:

I've come to the conclusion that, since there's no more pink-border when a post gets 5+ reactions, the dominant posts are going to be whoever gets a reaction from a dev/moderator. The red-name reactions are going to be the ultimate sign of post-superiority.

"Oh? You got 15 likes? Pfft, my post got a JoeW and a ScottHansen! Checkmate."

4 hours ago, Owlrust said:

I've come to the conclusion that, since there's no more pink-border when a post gets 5+ reactions, the dominant posts are going to be whoever gets a reaction from a dev/moderator. The red-name reactions are going to be the ultimate sign of post-superiority.

"Oh? You got 15 likes? Pfft, my post got a JoeW and a ScottHansen! Checkmate."

Wow, it works! 1 dev like and I am already grossly infatuated with your post!

13 hours ago, Owlrust said:

I've come to the conclusion that, since there's no more pink-border when a post gets 5+ reactions, the dominant posts are going to be whoever gets a reaction from a dev/moderator

Not gonna lie, I do prefer this current look compared to before. It forces people to look at the content of the arguement rather than see a big pink post that implies that the arguement has merit (when they often don't in my view).

I've noticed that a lot when looking at posts that I have participated in but have been archived (and archived posts in general). Suddenly the removal of the big pink post (and quite frankly no reactions) really showed what arguements truly had merit and what didn't.

Instead, the pink border just turns the forums into a game of counter reacting harshly so that people will like your posts so when your post becomes pink, it'd mean your comment was better than someone else when it really wasn't.

I've personally used this system to my benefit before as an experiment and I've seen results go in my favor (though it could have just coincidence too).

I hope it stays this way @JoeW, or at least for a little while just to see its effect on the forums community (like for this next beta).

I'm also not sure why 5 was a chosen number for deeming posts popular either (I guess it was arbitrarily chosen, like 5 fingers on one hand?)

10 hours ago, lakhnish said:

really showed what arguements truly had merit and what didn't.

I dunno honestly. I feel like the number of reactions also plays a role in that too; if a post has a lot of likes, people are more likely to, react to and credit, that post as the one with merit and all rebuttals as without merit based on sheer numbers alone. In a way I feel that reaction-count is going to be the new pink-post.

That, and the fact that you could have the entire community against your point, but if the developers end up going with your idea/stance then it doesn't really matter how popular your posts were or weren't. Something like this happened a year or so ago in the suggestions of another game I play (Deep Rock Galactic). Someone made a suggestion for a weapon overclock that was VERY unpopular on the discord, but despite that, awhile later the developers added it anyways. In a sense, the only people that user truly had to convince were the ones most able to decide upon it.

• Developer
On 10/2/2022 at 12:40 PM, . . . said:

There's no more downloads? So all the tools used for modding are gone now such as ktools. That means no more new modders for DST, sad.

There's no more downloads section to the forums (which at the end of the day have nothing to do with distributing mod tools, Joe just worked with what he had). If there are things you need to make mods, please let us know so we can figure out how best to distribute them.

1 hour ago, nome said:

There's no more downloads section to the forums (which at the end of the day have nothing to do with distributing mod tools, Joe just worked with what he had). If there are things you need to make mods, please let us know so we can figure out how best to distribute them.

In the downloads area there was tools used which necessary to mod DST and DS

• ktools
  • Texture and Atlas Packer
  • KleiBuildRenamer
  • TEXTool

If you still have access to the downloads you should make a pinned topic in the DST modding section to make these tools available because without them you can't really mod dst/ds

2 hours ago, nome said:

I have absolutely no clue at all how viable this is to even begin to ask for, but animation tools, desperately. 
Currently Spriter is included in the mod tools but it is most certainly not the most optimal tool to animate with, especially due to its unstable-ness and lack of ability to tween symbols, a practice DS/T animations practically lives on.

I'm uncertain if there even are any other options but at a minimum I'd like for you lot to be aware it's something that's been requested for, for a long time now. Appreciate the notice!

16 hours ago, -Variant said:

~animation stuff~

Just to add to this -- some of us are, in fact, insane and totally willing to buy software just for modding and related shenanigans.

If an internal converter exists for other animation software that Klei would be willing to share, it would be very welcome.

• Developer
18 hours ago, . . . said:

In the downloads area there was tools used which necessary to mod DST and DS

• ktools
  • Texture and Atlas Packer
  • KleiBuildRenamer
  • TEXTool

If you still have access to the downloads you should make a pinned topic in the DST modding section to make these tools available because without them you can't really mod dst/ds

These files were posted by other members in the community for us to host and share among the people on the forums. In the most ideal case these tools would be moved to a place more suiting of hosting third party utilities and programs where source code may be viewed and reviewed over before running. I have found the source repositories for two of the tools you are looking for and a github account of a third but the KleiBuildRenamer tool I could not track down.

• Simplex's ktools: https://github.com/nsimplex/ktools
  • Matt's TEXTool: https://github.com/handsomematt/dont-starve-tools/tree/master/src/TEXTool
  • Kzisor's github, author of Texture and Atlas Packer, but has no repository for it: https://github.com/Ysovuka

12 minutes ago, JesseB_Klei said:

In the most ideal case these tools would be moved to a place more suiting of hosting third party utilities and programs where source code may be viewed and reviewed over before running. I have found the source repositories for two of the tools you are looking for and a github account of a third but the KleiBuildRenamer tool I could not track down.

that sounds like a hassle for newcomers getting into modding, I know when i first started modding if all the tools weren't on this forums I would've not bothered with trying to mod

if the tools aren't made easily accessible here then dst modding is prolly gonna get less new modders, it doesn't effect me i have the tools already

didn't even know those are third party utilities. maybe klei should release some official utilities then to replace these then if you wont put them back for new modders to find conveniently

3 hours ago, . . . said:

maybe klei should release some official utilities then to replace these then if you wont put them back for new modders to find conveniently

This. I had no idea the tools had githubs when I was getting them- I only ever saw people talking about them and linking to the forums downloads. A lot of old archived threads explaining modding basics have been butchered by this.

• Developer
1 hour ago, Auth said:

A lot of old archived threads explaining modding basics have been butchered by this.

I haven't checked with Joe if this would be possible, but would redirect links at the old download locations that go to an explainer page work? 

1 minute ago, nome said:

I haven't checked with Joe if this would be possible, but would redirect links at the old download locations that go to an explainer page work? 

Probably, assuming that explainer page also has all the needed tools and their new locations of acquiring them either listed or linked. I believe the DS wiki also linked to the tools on the forums a few times on some of their discussions and modding pages.

Archived