Venting thread 2 (pls don't die this time)

In november my pride and joy "The venting thread" died do to unfortunate circumstances i've always wanted to bring it back up especially since new updates have come out meaning there are more things to vent about. Please keep it on topic about dst this time and if a discussion gets derailed take it to dms.

Anyway with that lore out of the way i'll start. Where the hell is walters other eyebrow? did he shave it? is he going through a phase? and why is this only a problem with his snow fallen and base skin it's super weird and off putting to me. His hair in general weirds me out.

12 minutes ago, Waoling said:

He got two eyebrow what do you mean what happen to the other one? And also he just got a curly hair what about that weird you out?

he just doesn't have anything for his left eyebrow if he does any action where it should show up and his hair is completely different from his short version

51 minutes ago, Dextops said:

Where the hell is walters other eyebrow?

It's a purposeful choice made, the reason is if the eyebrow did exist, it'd overlap over his hair, which I imagine the artists thought was weird.

Still, it looks like a bit of the eyebrow should be sticking out, but what can you do.

I don’t think your thread will get locked unless it starts heated arguments & complaints. 

But thank you for remaking this thread because there’s a lot of stuff I would like to complain about with DST-

Starting With: I actually LIKE Winona as a character, even though lots of people claim she needs more reworks, & isn’t that good of a character, I like her anyway.. and I love that she had such a deep lore connection to the games plot. But what I do not like about her is how useless & ineffective her spotlights are, These things should prioritize the players who are furthest away from them that does not have a light source on them instead of shining on the Maxwell that’s closest to them and holding a lantern picking food out of the garden at night meanwhile- The Wurt trying to run back to bases torch burns out and the light that otherwise would’ve saved her in time, remains shining on that Maxwell.

-_- pointless Spotlight..

11 hours ago, Dextops said:

In november my pride and joy "The venting thread" died do to unfortunate circumstances i've always wanted to bring it back up especially since new updates have come out meaning there are more things to vent about. Please keep it on topic about dst this time and if a discussion gets derailed take it to dms.

Anyway with that lore out of the way i'll start. Where the hell is walters other eyebrow? did he shave it? is he going through a phase? and why is this only a problem with his snow fallen and base skin it's super weird and off putting to me. His hair in general weirds me out.

When he blinks you can see the other eyebrow for a split second.

1 minute ago, Scrimbles said:

I understand animation is expensive but god damn do I hate the fact that the entire games animated art style has been babied down, and klei is stepping away from the creepy elements of Don't Starve, just look at this... Stalkercomparision.png

Huh, so that was why it looked off.

16 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

I understand animation is expensive but god damn do I hate the fact that the entire games animated art style has been babied down, and klei is stepping away from the creepy elements of Don't Starve, just look at this... Stalkercomparision.png

The Switch Trailer in general just kind of... ticks me off. I never thought I'd see a trailer for Don't Starve that tries to appeal to a power fantasy. The very idea Don't Starve fought way back in its inception! The whole idea behind DS was that the player is weak, and pathetic!

It looks so very wrong to see the nintendo switch trailer try to be so action-y and make it look like the characters are strong. I've generally been able to stand the modern trailers but the Switch one really.. bothered me.

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

The Switch Trailer in general just kind of... ticks me off. I never thought I'd see a trailer for Don't Starve that tries to appeal to a power fantasy. The very idea Don't Starve fought way back in its inception! The whole idea behind DS was that the player is weak, and pathetic!

It looks so very wrong to see the nintendo switch trailer try to be so action-y and make it look like the characters are strong. I've generally been able to stand the modern trailers but the Switch one really.. bothered me.

yep i didnt like the characters showing their confidence in a suppose dangerous place. The art style... while isnt bad in general doesnt have the roots of the franchise and im the only one who hearing the music though about new home? (i know that game isnt that related but the music sounded like the ones from their trailers rather than klei's)

23 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Stalkercomparision.png

this comparation tells everything. The stalker looks good but isnt DS style while that AF looks totally awesome and threatening rather than goofy as the stalker looks

24 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

I understand animation is expensive but god damn do I hate the fact that the entire games animated art style has been babied down, and klei is stepping away from the creepy elements of Don't Starve, just look at this...

Honestly I've got to agree. I can excuse the animation art style in some aspects, they need to pump these out insanely fast, and I'll give them props there, they do a wonderful job getting them out, but I do think a lot is lost over time... 

The Switch trailer was too action-y. Seriously. 1 shot boomerangs, all the flashy combat and visuals. 
For those who weren't around during DS' early days, Kevin himself said he never wanted combat to be a big part of DS at all. He always wanted combat to be a last resort. Its insane to think about this with DST now! Shows how things change.

I've got nothing against the survivors learning to adapt and accept their life in the Constant, but I think this appeals to much to fantasy action.

As for the art style, like I said I understand they need to keep it simple to keep up with production but they really could do back and detail some of these designs...
image.thumb.png.17f8809ca653207239934bfbfe90243a.png

3 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

Stalkercomparision.png

i dont know about you but what i really disliked is bearger in the Terraria collab Trailer.

For comparasion, Reign of Giants bearger.

I am not dumb, i understand they were both different artists but just look at the RoG bearger, the background is colorful, his expression is evil, his posing is menacing.

Now look and Eyeforaneye bearger, boring blue-grey ish backround, angry baby expression, his posing is more generic body poses except now its a giant fur monster.

I dont usually mind the animation changing but this one just...

Screenshot_20220421-173500_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220421-173529_YouTube.jpg

38 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Screenshot_20220421-173500_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220421-173529_YouTube.jpg

If Im honest I find the second one better, except for the hands, is just that the regular bearger from the game looks cute, the one from the more recent short at least looks angry and with intentions of hurt, the other one from the Reign of Giants trailers looks just a bit grumpy.

4 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

Honestly that makes me really sad, the animation on the left is more accurate to in-game. The game really flourishes under a creepy tone, and it's really only unsettling if you seek it out; you could spend many in-game years without seeing anything creepy if you didn't try to find the ruins or the Lunar Island.

19 hours ago, Hornete said:

It's a purposeful choice made, the reason is if the eyebrow did exist, it'd overlap over his hair, which I imagine the artists thought was weird.

Still, it looks like a bit of the eyebrow should be sticking out, but what can you do.

what u mean walter would get anime eyes that phase through hair?

5 hours ago, -Variant said:

Honestly I've got to agree. I can excuse the animation art style in some aspects, they need to pump these out insanely fast, and I'll give them props there, they do a wonderful job getting them out, but I do think a lot is lost over time... 

The Switch trailer was too action-y. Seriously. 1 shot boomerangs, all the flashy combat and visuals. 
For those who weren't around during DS' early days, Kevin himself said he never wanted combat to be a big part of DS at all. He always wanted combat to be a last resort. Its insane to think about this with DST now! Shows how things change.

I've got nothing against the survivors learning to adapt and accept their life in the Constant, but I think this appeals to much to fantasy action.

As for the art style, like I said I understand they need to keep it simple to keep up with production but they really could do back and detail some of these designs...
image.thumb.png.17f8809ca653207239934bfbfe90243a.png

those white outlines really give the sketchy style the contrast it needs. I hate how soft all the shapes are in the new animations, it almost feels like babies first Don't Starve.

Archived