Venting thread 2 (pls don't die this time)

everyone here talking about stalkers weird look reminded me of deerclops from walters' trailer. i don't think the situation here is as bad as with the stalker but still, deerclops here looks a lil funny to me.i still can't really put my finger on it, he's like less creepy and more... floofy and soft? in general looks less threatening then his ingame version.
1182997101__2022-04-22_212327938.png.56fccee212c920320cefe6249fb74b96.pngddercl.PNG.c9ca0c8dfda9e8647eb0c392c4d06061.PNG

1 hour ago, HEAVYDIRTYSOUL said:

everyone here talking about stalkers weird look reminded me of deerclops from walters' trailer. i don't think the situation here is as bad as with the stalker but still, deerclops here looks a lil funny to me.i still can't really put my finger on it, he's like less creepy and more... floofy and soft? in general looks less threatening then his ingame version.
1182997101__2022-04-22_212327938.png.56fccee212c920320cefe6249fb74b96.pngddercl.PNG.c9ca0c8dfda9e8647eb0c392c4d06061.PNG

I think it's just the weird proportions. his head and torso look too small

honestly the only difference between a lot of the animations is just that the newer ones dont have all the pencil? marks / shading which makes it a lot easier to animate

i dont think anyone thinks that the simplistic style is better, but i would unironically rather have quantity over quality for lore stuff and faster updates

I would love seeing the themes go back to a more darker tone, DST has a very Tim burton esc feel to it and it just feels like they are rushing to push everything out for the updates, Wolfgang had a hard hit on many people saying he was worse, if they take their time and listen to the fans they would of also seen my old thread where I suggest a way to make Wes better, yes the phantomimed items where there but Wes feels like a joke instead of an actual PLAYABLE character. (They should of honestly not changed his stats and slowed his hunger decrease problem) To make it far wes could have a weaker hit but not enough to conclude wes a burden. I hate crabking so much he doesn't drop ANYTHING useful to us other than the top bit of one of the altars, he could of like had crab meat adding some gorge recipes. AND PLEASE, finish the stories as they go along we have so many stories that haven't been finished and I need those stories like Gorge and Forge and the stuff after and before that have a conclusive "This is where this story ends but it goes on to the next". All the stories are SO good but then Klei ditches them and pretends they never existed.

23 hours ago, HEAVYDIRTYSOUL said:

Seems dear ol' deer there also lost some fingers over time - totally understandable given the survivors' shenanigans I might add.

I hate the new crafting menu with a burning passion.. I hate how cumbersome it is to use this horrible dreadful thing with an Xbox Controller, I’ve tried to give Klei the benefit of the doubt- but after trying to play for the past 3 hours it feels like they’ve ruined the game.

I couldn’t even place a campfire in time to avoid freezing to death it’s just so overly annoying…

then there’s also crap like THIS that happens in between..

This isn’t a glitch.. this was someone’s bright idea to make pressing A while near a Alchemy Engine research things at the Engine, WHEN was this added as a feature? I absolutely HATE IT…

You know what A button also does? It picks up the Logs I just chopped to put in my campfire to prepare for WINTER.. but instead- and as you will see in this video, instead of picking up the logs.. I start crafting Axes I don’t need.

I would absolutely love to see anyone use an Xbox controller and be able to quickly and effectively pick up loose items like driftwood, cookie cutter shells, etc- that end up on the deck of your boat if you happen to have an Alchemy Engine also on that boat..

Sigh… why almost kill a good game?

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I couldn’t even place a campfire in time to avoid freezing to death it’s just so overly annoying…

Can't you just pin the campfire recipe and move your right stick and select it without opening the  crafting menu? 

I just see it as Klei are trying out the more lighthearted approach to animation instead of always constantly making it all gloom and grim. A fresher approach to see how they wanna portray something in a new view. Personally - I like it. I do enjoy when they create characters seem weak against a bigger foe but I do like the occasional mood brightening animations. Further more - they've been getting only better. More budget, better animation, more DST content.

I saw the argument about art style change and wanted to say that it's likely that they've started making much longer animations for us to watch. Whole dang cinematics over a minute if one to say with glee! Which is much more considering than what we had back then. Also more dynamic and photogenic angles.

Klei had blossomed over the years in their production quality, new games and more cool art that my only rant for now is - y u all crabby >:(

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Before the crafting menu I reckon your biggest problem is connectivity - I believe that's an >200 ping-at-least server. Perhaps try a better, closer one to your location?!

I joined random world out of the 43 or so that were being hosted, and of those 43 even less weren’t password locked.

Xbox console doesn’t have Klei official or dedicated servers we only have player hosted- and as such.. most worlds don’t last a full calendar year in game anyway, and the ones that do?? Password locked.

If this a venting thread I want to vent about never getting to play forge on Xbox.

anyway heres a new vent from me more about the community than the game. I don't get it when people talk about how new characters personalities are worse when i don't see them changing too much. The only good personalities in the game that aren't very mediocre are wilson and maxwell. many characters can sound cool on paper but in game you aren't seeing that and i feel like people over idolize their personality when they have never been much of something note worthy (not saying they have to, but saying new characters personalities are worse are something i see as untrue)

18 minutes ago, Dextops said:

. The only good personalities in the game that aren't very mediocre are wilson and maxwell.

Everyman archetypes are easily to project into. 

Maxwell is the pulp fiction archetype of the man who tampers into the unknown far beyond his knowledge. 

On 4/21/2022 at 7:02 PM, Scrimbles said:

I understand animation is expensive but god damn do I hate the fact that the entire games animated art style has been babied down, and klei is stepping away from the creepy elements of Don't Starve, just look at this... Stalkercomparision.png

This. Honestly, thats worth thread by itself. Though I normally am optimistic, with every weird looking cinematic I get more of the feeling that Don't Starve is "over". The game has already peeked and though they COULD probably reach new heights again, they are moving away from that currently. I honestly don't know why - is it a problem of budget? An issue with new artists not being able to capture the detailed style? Does this choice of design seriously appeal to some audience more than the old creepy style?? Would someone mind to make a thread about that topic? That is really something I would like to hear the devs view at. Otherwise, if this design trend keeps going, I'll eventually resort to mainly playing singleplayer DS to get what I originally bought DST for..

5 hours ago, Dextops said:

The only good personalities in the game that aren't very mediocre are wilson and maxwell. many characters can sound cool on paper but in game you aren't seeing that and i feel like people over idolize their personality when they have never been much of something note worthy (not saying they have to, but saying new characters personalities are worse are something i see as untrue)

I find Wigfrid, WX, Wendy, and surprisingly Wes to be pretty cool actually.

If we are going to talk bad personalities can we talk about Woodies axe Lucy. That thing never shuts up for a second, it's horrendous. I'm glad his idols no longer spoil... but I think they need complete seasonal temperature resistance, a bit more health, and just more love in general.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:27 PM, Dextops said:

Anyway with that lore out of the way i'll start. Where the hell is walters other eyebrow? did he shave it? is he going through a phase? and why is this only a problem with his snow fallen and base skin it's super weird and off putting to me. His hair in general weirds me out

wait...............
888529263_Screenshot2022-04-24210427.png.36a15591b8db515e83e4f407f51cf9d4.png1661848606_Screenshot2022-04-24210529.png.0cbc53fc278012e976084f0aa47a6e6d.png

KLEI WTF AND WHY?

On 4/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, Dextops said:

he just doesn't have anything for his left eyebrow if he does any action where it should show up and his hair is completely different from his short version

right eyebrow*

11 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

Does this choice of design seriously appeal to some audience more than the old creepy style

I don't know for certain but i'm guessing it's not only cheaper but has mass apeal, DST has clearly departed from it's DS roots, becoming more of an action adventure game with survival as a side goal and as DST is a live service game, maintaining a healthy playerbase means constantly drawing in new customers, which this artstyle probably acomplishes. It might also serve to make the game look more family friendly, something that I can't say when DS first came out was a concern.

Archived