DST is Coming to Nintendo Switch April 12th +More!

DST_Switch_Launch.jpg

It's been a long time coming, but Don't Starve Together launches on Nintendo Switch on April 12, 2022! And with it, we have cooked up a special treat. 

Wait what?! 

Since the launch of Don't Starve Together we have been building resources for our players to be able to get cool item skins in lots of different ways. Soon, players will be able to share these skins across participating platforms. 

We expect this to launch around the time of the Nintendo Switch launch, we're just finalizing some things and it will be good to go soon. 

We know there are going to be a bunch of questions about this, some of which we have the answers to below. 

Will this be available on Playstation?
At this time we don't know. We're trying, but unfortunately, the requirements to get this on to Playstation are more than a studio our size can handle for such a service.

We have been preparing for this for a long time and now that we have several platforms ready to participate, we decided to move forward. We understand that this is going to be very disappointing for some players and we want you to know that if/when we can make this happen for you, we will implement it as soon as we possibly can. 

How will this work?
We'll have more details as this is released, but when players get drops, these drops are granted to your Klei Account and that's what you have in-game. Soon, you will be able to merge multiple platform accounts onto a single Klei Account and seamlessly use your items on everything connected. This includes crockpot recipes, plant registry, item skins and characters that you gained through drops including woven characters and skins.

Bolts (Premium Currency) cannot be shared between platforms. 

How are drops affected?
All connected accounts will share a single drop pool once connected. All connected platform accounts will act as 1 single Klei Account. 

Does that mean we get Crossplay soon?
No, but maybe? Just like shared items, crossplay is something we would love to do. However along with it being a lot of work to implement these are things that aren't necessarily accessible to smaller teams like ours. But times are changing and hopefully in the future things like this will be made easier for all developers. 

Anything else?
The team is still working on finishing up this feature. We'll have more information at the time of release including details on account merging and what to expect as the feature releases. 

DST_unlocks.jpg

25 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Since the launch of Don't Starve Together we have been building resources for our players to be able to get cool item skins in lots of different ways. Soon, players will be able to share these skins across participating platforms. 

Can't wait to have this! One of the main factors which discouraged my switch to platforms was my skins as I like making nice looking bases, but now I see no reason as to not play on both! I look forward to seeing how this turns out!

• Developer
5 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

If you own a skin on multiple platforms, will you end up with duplicates of it after the merge?

Yes, but once merging is ready we're going to work on a deduplicator (useful for all accounts but especially merged ones) to eliminate excess loyal items.

You say it's not ready yet for playstation but does it go the other way? ie I mainly play on ps4 but plan to switch to switch when it comes out will the skins I have on my ps4 be available on switch? 

This is amazing if true 

Actually I do have a question or two now that I think about it.. & out of curtesy to MrJoeW I’m going to spoiler tag this so if it’s too far off-topic it’s not too disruptive.

Spoiler

I have a question about the Xbox Series X/S though (you don’t have to answer this if your not yet ready to reveal or if you have no plans for the next gen platforms)

See I’m running into a MASSIVE problem with X/S games, some of them upgrade to X/S versions but are no longer compatible with playing with my friends who can’t afford a Series X/S

Some games do let you play Cross Console, such as Rogue Company, Fortnite & Apex Legends, while others DO NOT such as Watchdogs Legions and GTA Online.

Im not saying there ever will be but IF a X/S version of DST were to be made- would it still be able to share my skins across the above mentioned platforms?

Currently I play DST on my Series S because it’s playing the Xbox One version of the game via, Backwards compatibility.

But on XBOX (and this is exclusively an Xbox Problem) when a game gets updated to X/S version unless this game is sold separately by itself, it is updated through an Xbox feature called “Smart Delivery” 

When this happens: Games that used to be Xbox One games become Series X/S enhanced, and some of them no longer play on your external HD and must be installed to the internal HD to play: It’s a coin toss on which ones can still be played with your friends on last Gen & which ones can’t.

Please Klei I’d love any information your ready & willing to share on this. Also out of curtesy of everyone because it could possibly be seen as Off-Topic I will spoiler tag this. I just need to know that when/if DST goes to X/S will I still be able to use my characters, skins & play with Xbox One friends?

Weirdly enough I was getting the steam deck just because of limitations of not sharing skins on different accounts. Even after the announcement of DS:T coming to the switch.  However this is just a bonus how I see it.  Really can't thank you enough Klei.

How will Nintendo online effect the game? As due to Nintendo forcing a Subscription to play online it'd pretty much kill the whole "Together" part of Don't starve Together, you won't be able do do the best part of the game if you can't afford or don't want to pay for a subscription.

Archived