Do you disable Wildfires?

Do you disable Wildfires?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

Still think periodic wildfires would be more fun. Similar to the Shipwrecked volcano season, the screen could fill with smoke and then embers descend from the sky around the player. The embers would be easier to see than smoldering and could be put out with a watering can. In it's wake, the wildfire would leave a charcoal forest in a random place on the map, using similar mechanics to petrification.

I don't disable them, though. Generally speaking, I build tightly packed bases around the flingo's.

For me wildfires feel just as faulty as disease, and that one was removed entirely from the game.

It only gives three realistic options: Not being at main base, basing at caves and basing at oasis.

I don't consider Flingomatics an option, last time I tried using them the base burnt down around a fully operational one: You decide to leave base, while walking away you unload the Flingo, and then a wildfire starts, when you come back everything will be burnt. I will confess the last time I tried it was years ago, I don't know if anything changed.

Still, if you build a mega base, even if the Flingos did their job while unloaded, constantly babysitting over ten Flingos for ~2 hours straight doesn't seem like a thing I'd want to do.

Not being at main base is not even an option in public servers because there could be new players, or players that just didn't know your base was there, loading the area and unknowingly burning everything down. Also, very frustating having to stop your train of thoughts just because summer started, you come back and you can't even remember what you were doing.

Basing at caves could be fun but I don't see it as a thing I'd want to do every single time, same for oasis.

Having literally one thing limiting where or how you can build you entire base just doesn't sit right with me, I disable wildfires and the game becomes much more enjoyable.

Edit: There's also the big trees now, but they don't really help much since you're still being limited to building at borders or the ocean...

I disable them, but that’s mainly because I’m into megabasing a lot, and I don’t find it fun to be restricted to specific areas (waterlogged/Wanda made that way more forgiving, though).

Overall, it’s up to you. Remember, if you get second thoughts after making a world, you can always disable/enable it in the world settings!

I disable wildfires. They feel unfair and unfun to me, and, as another user pointed out in another thread (sorry, I don't remember who it was, but they were very smart) there is no reward to go with the risk. Most other dangerous things have some benefit, however small. Hounds drop hound loot. Winter cold makes things spoil more slowly. Giants have unique drops that can be crafted into cool stuff. Wildfires do nothing but destroy. The fact that you can turn them off and not feel like you're missing out on anything makes me feel like they should be removed, like the disease mechanic.

I keep wildfires on and I hate them, but thats one of the reasons i like ds/dst so much. The seasons effect on the world keep me interested and busy all year around. i have to change my playstyle with the seasons to survive.

People can choose to play without them, but i dont know about removing them from the game. Maybe they need a reworking, but imo i wouldnt like them go away entirely. 

1 hour ago, Duck986 said:

"Yes" for megabase worlds, and "No" for regular games.

Best answer I’ve heard yet.. Dont starve was never a franchise about building a massive base & building party games with your friends: But that’s what we have now, not that any of that is BAD mind you, but when you start wanting features I enjoy removed or changed.. that’s when I complain about it, the entire POINT of Wildfires (for me at least) is to finally have a problem in the game that doesn’t also have a permanent solution to solve-

And honestly when you think about it: the whole game is sort of structured like that, you can’t control where Meteors are going to crash land or where things will fall from the skies in caves: They are just things that happen that you have no control over.

For Wildfires in particular- it’s all about rebuilding what was destroyed, and the game gives you a variety of ways of doing that: Getting half the resources you put into crafting the structure back when you hammer the burned one down, Forests becoming petrified, burned trees dropping charcoal and the occasional pine cone to plant new trees.

All of these game mechanics go out the window the very moment Klei gives you a structure or tool that solves the problem.

We may as well just play in Autumn only 24/7 Day worlds at that point.

Of course this is Just my opinion and I’m sure I’m in the minority of not wanting Wildfires to have a easy way to counter..

2 hours ago, Dollmaker said:

Just wondering, cause im really tempted to just play without them, Summer is annoying as it is and doesnt really offer much compared to other seasons.

i play solo mostly, so most times i can just go to caves to avoid the wildfire. and yes, summer can be boring, especially in public server when you don't have anything to cool yourself

I usually turn them off because in all honesty they don't really add anything meaningful to the game in my eyes, similarly to what disease used to be.

The only times I ever had them enabled was when I was just learning the game, felt self-conscious about my preferences in how to play because people like to scream about how "casualized" others get, or because I genuinely just forgot to turn them off.

Being restricted to a total of 2 or 3 options to deal with them (2 of which being placing your base in one of two locations, one of which is only available to those who can have caves enabled in the first place), with other options either being extremely restricted, nonexistent or just not safe enough, is really not fun in my eyes. People can say what they will, both DST and DS have a huge focus around building structures and having a mechanic that heavily limits where or when to build is just not a good mechanic in my opinion.

Even when I was just starting to learn the ropes of the game wildfires did not feel very fun, fair or well thought out. At default settings your options are: You either cover your entire base in flingomatics which need to be fuelled constantly (even for smaller bases this can mean you need to build about 3 to 5 at minimum, which can very very easily eat through a ton of fuel and result in burnt structures if you miss to refuel even one of them), build your base in one of the most remote biomes on a map or in the caves, go literally anywhere besides your base for literally 2 hours of real time or try to fumble around with an ice staff, waterballoons, watering cans or a downfan (all extremely unreliable and dependant on you being there, noticing the fire really early and then reacting fast enough, not to mention availability being an issue for all of them besides the watering can).

So whenever I started learning how to deal with things all it really resulted in was me sitting around close at base all day constantly checking if the flingos were fuelled, fishing at oasis for 2 hours (the most engaging gameplay of all time), doing stuff in the caves for 2 hours (clearing ruins was usually done after a time of 3 days and there's not a whole lot to do besides that, so most of that time was spend waiting, getting food and refuelling lanterns) or... well that's it. And I can say none of these things are really... fun, at least not to most people I can think of. It's not difficult either since all you gotta do is either just chop trees the entire time to fuel flingos, or not be around your base/have them within a safe biome.

All that wildfires really do in practise is be really annoying for experienced players and something that is gonna surprise punish new players because once they realize what's happening it's probably already too late (same as Antlion sinkholes to be honest.), which is a shame because I really do like the vibe of summer overall, the atmosphere and music is really really nice and ways to stay cool (besides eyebrella) are pretty unique and fun compared to other seasons. Besides summer feeling like it doesn't really have much more to do than autumn, wildfires are pretty much the only big thing dragging it down for me and I think that really sucks.

I always disable them. They're, in a gameplay design perspective, exactly as disease and it astonish me that people are realizing this now and not when RoG was introduced. There are zero points to add them. No difficulty, no fun, no engaging mechanic, nothing. 

Wildfires are ok. Not being able to control everything is ok, too. I just hope we get a better option to extinguish bigger fires.  I don't see DST as a building sim so I rebuild structures if they are burnt/destroyed. 

Usually no, but If I do invest a lot of time in a world I absolutely will. For regular short playthroughs it's whatever, it's faster to not turn it off I guess.

But I think you're punishing yourself for no reason if you are playing a megabase world with wildfires on, the fact that they can happen offscreen and also inside a sandstorm is just bad design. (I know the player has to be inside the sandstorm to prevent it, but that's very counter intuitive and you're only going to find out the hard way. Same with offscreen wildfires.)

Since we got water cans as easy way to extinguish fires, wildfires are much less of an issue than they used to be. Sure, we had luxury fan before, and I take it with me in case of a fire, but for early game and playing with friends watering cans are pretty sufficient. Just remember to refill them. 

I play with default settings all the time, but just like disease, I really wouldn't blame anyone if they turned this one off. I still would go caving even if they weren't there, though. But for megabasing? It simply always goes off, plain and simple (don't torture yourself like that).

Maybe if they tweak it/tone it down in the future for people who want to stay at their base for summer, that would probably appease a lot of people, but right now they are just ruthless.

Archived