Do you disable Wildfires?

Do you disable Wildfires?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

Just another coin in the bucket but I don’t turn them off, but I don’t like them. Just a rework sometime soon hopefully with a big content update for summer some day if a boy can dream. 

The things is, this game is supposed to be a rogue-lite type game, dying or misfortune happening is SUPPOSED to Happen, when you play single player Dont starve and you have one problem that then stacks on top of several other problems- that’s when the game gets challenging and fun, running for your life from shadow monsters while freezing to death without a thermal stone because you needed to lower your sanity and pass a bridge stronghold to get to the resources to craft the thermal, all of that piles up- and WHEN Problems start piling up on you Dont Starve becomes a beautiful survival game.

UNFORTUNATELY- Klei drew in a different type of audience altogether with DST, and while that’s not bad.. they’ve made a clear impact on the direction Klei wants to take the challenging aspects of the game as well

I would not be against reworking the way wildfires work or behave (a sea of flames or fire tornadoes would be cool) BUT what I don’t want is for them to rework it to the point it’s yet another nearly pointless thing you can overcome permanently by building a structure/tool.

Summer as a WHOLE and not just Wildfires need to be reworked… look at how awesome Winter as a Season is in terms of cool unique content, and Summer well Summer is just plain boring..

Here’s what I picture summer being like:

Spoiler

22BC4587-1605-49CB-BF0C-2CD1A468DC51.thumb.jpeg.38fc4171690fc4e6eeccec0c1b2e40dc.jpeg
Trees that get burned in wildfire has increased chances to become petrified, ponds (that freeze over in winter) now boil over in Summer capable of spawning Larvae or Magma Golems, Magmatic & Hardened Cave Spiders can be found on the surface in the unusually hot season, when red birds spontaneously combust they will turn into ashes and then rise again as an awesome flaming Phoenix 

That last one would finally make Maxwells Quote when inspecting them “They come from the Firelands.” Make Sense!

Im still waiting for Klei to tell me what exactly ARE the “Firelands?”

On par with Winters frozen over ponds, Pengull taking up residence on land, MacTusk camps, Winter Koelaphants, Ice, Deerclops.

if I’m being brutally honest- all the weather seasons could use a 2022 update, (like those cool snowflake tumbleweeds or Floating Ice Sheets in Klei’s unused assets) but SUMMER needs updates the most.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The things is, this game is supposed to be a rogue-lite type game, dying or misfortune happening is SUPPOSED to Happen

I heavily disagree with this. This game is a survival game, wich is different from a rogue-lite, since you don't keep any progress when you die.

Also, you don't have a true ending, wich even makes it less of a rogue-lite, since you can basically play forever unless you die.

That being said, wildfires aren't really "challenging". They are just annoying because the mechanics, as well as ways to counter, are kinda weird, and you can easily come back to a burned down base for something that wasn't even your fault.

I hate wildfire and it is the only disabled option in my world generation. I feel bad for disabling it, since it feels like making the survive game easier, but there is no point to make it active and just do a rollback when it burns everything.

Depends. Obviously not if I'm speedrunning. Usually on a normal word where I'm just surviving ill have it on, but later in the game, say day 200 I'll turn it off because its just annoying rather than something challenging to deal with. Also I don't like basing in the desert so it's not like i can get natural protection. Personally I don't mind if an occasional sapling burns because there's usually 600+ of them per world.

I have a question: if people know things like saplings burn in Summer, why are they too lazy to gather as many of them as they see and relocate them into a cave?

I don’t get the whole Saplings not being renewable argument either, there are Twiggy Trees which do what saplings do but PASSIVELY, so if every sapling in a world Burns to a fine crisp, as long as chopping down those burned twiggy trees still drops a Twiggy Pine Cone: You can Replant them and Recover.

That is quite literally WHY chopping a Burned Tree still has a % chance to drop a pinecone to replant.

As far as Berry Bushes, Reeds or Grass Tufts go- I don’t know about those.. but Sapling in particular have a superior replacement.

Reeds are in the swamp, in Dont starve Solo it almost ALWAYS Rains in a Swamp, Rain Prevents Wildfires… So I also don’t see how your Reeds are being burned away in Wildfires unless Marsh turf doesn’t do correctly in DST what it does in Solo DS (have more frequent rainfalls)

Maybe I’m just missing something here… but why exactly are wildfires “Bad”? 

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Reeds are in the swamp, in Dont starve Solo it almost ALWAYS Rains in a Swamp, Rain Prevents Wildfires… So I also don’t see how your Reeds are being burned away in Wildfires unless Marsh turf doesn’t do correctly in DST what it does in Solo DS (have more frequent rainfalls)

That's not a thing, Mike. It has never been a thing. You must have dreamed it or something.

47 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Biomes don't have unique rain times like this though. This was never a thing.
Marsh turf doesn't have more frequent rainfalls?

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I have a question: if people know things like saplings burn in Summer, why are they too lazy to gather as many of them as they see and relocate them into a cave?

Because people dont want to sit through a loading screen each time they want to pick resources.

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t get the whole Saplings not being renewable argument either, there are Twiggy Trees which do what saplings do but PASSIVELY, so if every sapling in a world Burns to a fine crisp, as long as chopping down those burned twiggy trees still drops a Twiggy Pine Cone: You can Replant them and Recover.

That is quite literally WHY chopping a Burned Tree still has a % chance to drop a pinecone to replant.

As far as Berry Bushes, Reeds or Grass Tufts go- I don’t know about those.. but Sapling in particular have a superior replacement.

Some people dont like twiggy trees, others like using saplings for decor and in general if you do have a world that generated with saplings at the beginning then you are gonna have to build up your supply of twiggy trees over a longer time. When looked at purely for ""survival"" or for the sake of ""efficiency"", then sure I guess, but not only is survival in this game already easy on default settings if you actually know what youre doing, but its also really heavily focused on letting players do what they want so long as they keep environmental factors in mind. Some players do not like to strip biomes of every single plant there is, simply because it looks empty. Regrowth for all resources, regardless of type, would help in that a lot and would make sense when literally everything else in the game that is essential to play the game in the first place regrows. 

34 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This is literally false information, there is nothing in the game that suggests this. The closest it gets is the reign of giants trailer, which is 100% intentionally set up to show rain within the swamp. And even if that were true somehow (which no, it still isn't), not only is rain never guaranteed, but summer makes rain so rare that you almost never see summer rain that is not induced by a player, so this still is not a good point in favour of a mechanic that globally influences everything players build.

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Maybe I’m just missing something here… but why exactly are wildfires “Bad”? 

In my eyes they are because the ways you can deal with wildfires are as follows:

• Having to build flingomatics everywhere so nothing burns, which all take refueling constantly.
  • Building only in oasis, which is very far away from most other biomes and has the sandstorm.
  • Building only in caves, which takes a loading screen to get back to the surface, has a constant sanity drain, constant darkness and just isnt a place that everybody wants to put their base in.
  • Building your entire base along a shore with an above average tree, which covers just a few turfs at a time and needs to be grown fully (in other words go to the mangrove biome, get a ton of figs, make jam and fertilize a grown tree near a shore you dropped by either breaking your boat with it on or throwing it into the water with a pinchin winch)
  • Using an ice staff, waterballoons, a watering can, a down fan or a water pump thats near shore, which all take very quick reflexes and constant attention in order to catch wildfires.

Every single one of these ways to deal with wildfires either requires a lot of your attention, takes quite some time to set up, is very restricted in what it can do or restricts you entirely in where you build your base to begin with. All that to deal with a single mechanic which can whipe out your entire base in one fell swoop. 

No other season has this kind of thing and NO it doesnt make sense because summer is "the last season" since seasons are cyclical. When the "last" season ends you circle back to the "first". The game doesnt just end and give you a "you win for surviving summer" screen at the end of the year, it keeps going. This mechanic is simply not fun for pretty much half the community, if not more, and all it causes is tedium because it is not difficult to deal with it. It just either takes a lot of resource grinding or being forced to do something you might do not want to do.

If you disagree that's fine, you can think what you like. But the way you keep arguing about it is not just dismissive towards what a lot of people in the community think, it often times is just condescending whenever you have to also bring up that the game has gotten too "casualized" and that the game is getting too "soft".

3 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

That's not a thing, Mike. It has never been a thing. You must have dreamed it or something.

Are you 100% sure? I could have sworn it rains more often in a swamp biome, especially in Solo DS, maybe not in Sandbox mode… but in one of the Adventures mode chapters I’m pretty sure it was one of the wacky downsides.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Are you 100% sure? I could have sworn it rains more often in a swamp biome, especially in Solo DS, maybe not in Sandbox mode… but in one of the Adventures mode chapters I’m pretty sure it was one of the wacky downsides.

Adventure mode works differently, including the seasons, such has having permanent spring or winter. 

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

rain is a world event not a biome effect like sandstorm. Would be cool to have different climates in different biomes

i always found weird to have the same temperature in the desert in summer than in a grass field or raining the same amount in the desert than in other biomes

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

rain is a world event not a biome effect like sandstorm. Would be cool to have different climates in different biomes

i always found weird to have the same temperature in the desert in summer than in a grass field or raining the same amount in the desert than in other biomes

Well I mean They did do lunacy on lunar island as its own effect, I’m pretty sure it’s possible. But- are guys 100% sure that it didn’t rain more often in a swamp during Solo DS adventures mode? I could have absolutely sworn that was a thing.. *shrugs*

58 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well I mean They did do lunacy on lunar island as its own effect, I’m pretty sure it’s possible. But- are guys 100% sure that it didn’t rain more often in a swamp during Solo DS adventures mode? I could have absolutely sworn that was a thing.. *shrugs*

In "two worlds" map on adventure mode maaaybe it was possible, but on that map you got island with 90% of a day and a island where is 1/3 day, 1/3 dusk and 1/3 night. Dont starve together and DS adventure mode are practically different thing, and DST is much simplier - the weather is global. 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

i remember in solo ds adventure mode a level where was raining and snowing all the time and other that was like playing with only spring(?)

anyways in my many hours between both games i didnt experience that rain thing so might be the typical relation between events, it happens a lot and this game has a lot of mechanics that makes that happend often like how some people (me included) always though that clothing stacks with thermal stone and many other examples

Archived