Poll: What is your main method of killing Ancient Guardian?

What is your main method of killing Ancient Guardian?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What is your main method of killing Ancient Guardian?

• I mainly use pillar cheese to kill Ancient Guardian.
    • I mainly use my uber l33t kiting skills to kill Ancient Guardian.
    • I mainly use Walter to slingshot Ancient Guardian to death.
    • I mainly use Houndius Shootiuses to kill Ancient Guardian.
    • I mainly use anenemies to kill Ancient Guardian.
    • I mainly use gunpowder to kill Ancient Guardian.
    • I mainly kill Ancient Guardian by tanking it.
    • I mainly use mobs to help kill Ancient Guardian.
    • I haven't killed Ancient Guardian yet but I plan to in the near future.
    • I have no plans to go and kill Ancient Guardian.
    • Who/what in the world is Ancient Guardian?

One vote for Ka-Boom please.

People heavily under-estimate the power of Kaboom.. but that poll choice should be extended to Gunpowder/Slurtle Slime (because Slurtle Slime also goes Kaboom..)

And down in the area where AG spawns one can amass absurd amounts of free Kaboom.. 

I only go after ag when i need the key for FW to reset the ruins. I dont use much thul and kill dfly on cooldown for gems so i dont reset my ruins very often... 

when i fight ag i kite it. Which is made somewhat easier when playing WW thanks to blooming. I havent fought it since the recent changes though. Ive also yet to fight it on a beefalo. Would take a while i imagine but glosammar would make kiting a breeze i think. 

Fought him a couple times the "legit" way but I just cheese him now. The loot isn't worth my time and unless I get a lazy explorer I usually just abandon everything minus the horn, key, and meat. The fight is insufferably boring and he hits like a damn truck.

I don't even see him a boss, more like piñata minigame.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

One vote for Ka-Boom please.

People heavily under-estimate the power of Kaboom.. but that poll choice should be extended to Gunpowder/Slurtle Slime (because Slurtle Slime also goes Kaboom..)

And down in the area where AG spawns one can amass absurd amounts of free Kaboom.. 

1728971739_MarvintheMartianWheresthekaboom!TheressupposedtobeanEarth-shatteringkaboom!.jpg.ccf32f11f711b9967a7fa2b25e5690f3.jpg

There is no option with Winona's catapults. In the last two worlds, this was my method. And technically, it wasn't pillar cheese, but just a very sharp turn of the corridor. I was lucky with the generation so that I could put catapults, provoke him, run "around the corner", and when he ran at me, he was stopped by the abyss. And since he has the AI of the rook, he didn't think of going around it, and the catapults took him apart quite quickly. And I prefer them, because it means that the price of killing him is only a few pieces of saltpeter(not counting the materials for the construction, but three catapults is not expensive). Probably, it would be about the same with Walter or Houndius Shootiuses, although my strategy is partly risky - the horn can fall off the edge of the abyss, so I usually finish him myself, closer to the center of the arena. I think, to solve this problem, in the future I will use anenemies, though they and Houndius Shotiuses are both quite slow. In any case, I play alone and don't like to fight, so trying to arrange a fair fight with him was always tedious and it seemed that it was not worth it.

In my latest world, I killed him with a Hambat and a metric fu-, err, a gazillion of Dangling Depth Dwellers, as well as a few Spitters and Nurse Spiders.

Then I planted 4 Anenemies at the center of the arena, which should kill him dead in about 5 days every time I reset the ruins.

I always play modded Ancient Guardian, because the fight is really outdated, not very fun, and very cheesable.

Regardless of whatever state is the Ancient Guardian is in, I try to take it on fair and square.

Two Ice Staffs, what ever armor happens to be on hand, and usually a Thulecite Club. I feel bad about "cheating" against any enemy, regardless of how I feel about their design.

imo - the boss fight is too long, and too risky, for basically a gatcha draw in a f2p app game lol  Any rework that trims down the cheese better improve the loot table fr..

I get that some ppl like utilizing their leet skillz and wasting the time to dodge around this guy, but for me its graves / pillar cheese XD

Wanda with her alarming clock and a back step can do a decent zero damage run on guardian, but its risky b/c the backstep watch sometimes ports you *underneath* AG and you basically auto die then XD

4 hours ago, Cassielu said:

eh, what is uber l33t kiting skills?

Curious that only that answere has that tone. I wonder why

3 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Wanda with her alarming clock and a back step can do a decent zero damage run on guardian, but its risky b/c the backstep watch sometimes ports you *underneath* AG and you basically auto die then XD

Why use the clock when simply can dodge? With the alarming clock range you can kite him easily without mag (with mag+alarming is "impossible" to gst hit). I found dangerous using the clock, 1 mistake and you are getting 10 damage per hit if you wear a crown

Yes, I kite Ancient Guardian with my uber l33t kiting skills, as the pollster very kindly puts it.

The main reason I do that is that world gen isn't always nice to give you two graves and I've seen people die trying to do the pillar cheese.

For me personally, kiting AG was just the most consistent way to at least get that first kill consistently.

I want the horn too cause the houndious can be used to do those bird farms with the catapults instead of glommer and chester.

That, and we need the key for FW, so AG needs to die somehow.

Pillar "cheese" not so much as Graves one. With Wanda's even simpler, requiring virtually no armor whatsoever with 0 stakes/risks. I don't care about "legit" or not since AG not only has a very small kite/dodge window (good luck with lag and/or rubberbanding on dedicated servers >70-100 ping), but the punishment for mistakes pretty much equates massive HP&armor loses; and, on top of the manure cake this fight paints itself by design, one can find in AG chest loot like in below spoiler:

Spoiler

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

From one of my pub Ruins run. Plus 1 from a friend's:

manure-AG-loot.png.a2560d0384927e80da210d45cdfe7c98.png

If AG fight will be reworked, trash-tier loot like above needs to go. No matter how engaging and amusing a reworked Guardian combat might be, "cheese" will find its way in if benefits are simply not worth it. Till then majority of us (poll results) will resort to shenanigans as "Winona-ing" AG ftw (yes, best sanity-regaining time spent down under, irl booze much included):

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

PS: oh, how could I forget the Abyss "cheese", best done with Granny Time-machine now. Yum!

Archived