QoL Discussion thread

Hey, how about some Willow tweaks? I was considering making a separate thread for this, but with the promise of some more and oh so coveted QoL on the way, I think that here would be a better place.

The ability to pocket Bernie while he's hulked out. As we all know, this has been suggested many times before and is probably one of the most agreed upon ideas regarding Willow.

A health meter for Bernie akin to the one for Abigail. It'd be nice if players could have some idea of when Bernie is about to go down.

The ability to use a sewing kit on Bernie while he's hulked out. Kind of tying in with the above suggestion, I think that it'd be neat if you could use a sewing kit on Bernie while he's still active to prevent any downtime during a fight. Interestingly, you can use things like healing salves and honey poultices on him, so why not the fully healing sewing kit? I mean, I know that most people prefer to just bring an extra Bernie or two to minimize this problem, but I think that it'd still be a nice but slightly riskier option if you wanted to conserve inventory space.

Have Bernie run when fighting enemies. This is something that I've only even noticed fairly recently. Pretty much any other mob that has separate walking and running speeds/animations will use the running one when in combat, so why shouldn't Bernie? Although, I will admit that it is delightfully menacing how he'll just slowly saunter over to his target before beating them into the ground.

9 hours ago, Well-met said:

Although it does seems "boring" after a while, you underestimate two important things.

ressources or assets looking the same send an immediate response to your brain as to what you see on your game screen does, so that you recognize what you encounter in the game field. Having grass tufts looking all sorts of weird shapes would lengthen this response time for little to no benefit. Some players would also start "collecting" specific shapes and complain to klei when there aren't enough of the one they want in their worldgen.

second, imagine how much of a nightmare it is for new players trying to learn the game to figure out countless things that look completely different yet serve the same purpose. It's easy and obvious for us only because we've played the game for years.

You're making something so simple, complicated as hell. There are zero problems in adding that

5 minutes ago, Ardcrumb said:

More rng in world generation would be nice, maybe rivers? 

More RNG in the game PERIOD would be nice- I would like world spawns where resources can appear anywhere even outside of their known biomes, similar to how some PC Mods or DS Solo was..

Continuing with that same RNG theme I would absolutely love things like Scorpions, Snakes or Piko squirrels having a chance of dropping out of the tree’s I chop.

Treeguardians are alright I guess.. but I’d love a little more variety & unpredictability.

The main wish I could think of is dropping the cost of refining a board from 4 logs to 3 logs. Boards are incredibly taxing lategame, as a massive amount of structures/turfs take walls, and you will also want multiple of those said structures/turfs. Reducing the cost would probably not make too much of a difference early on, but would massively help with large bases in the lategame.

5 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

The main wish I could think of is dropping the cost of refining a board from 4 logs to 3 logs. Boards are incredibly taxing lategame, as a massive amount of structures/turfs take walls, and you will also want multiple of those said structures/turfs. Reducing the cost would probably not make too much of a difference early on, but would massively help with large bases in the lategame.

That's a huge difference, all structures requiring boards are now 25% less expensive.

Alchemy engines now only require 12 logs instead of 16, chests need 9 instead of 12.

16 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

To be fair a lot of things could drop in cost and also have more loot dropped. Why waste the time collecting large quantities of something just to craft one thing? It's pointless and just inflates repetitive gameplay time.

Nice discussion overall, I actually agree with so much in this thread. QOL for the most part is an important aspect of good game design to diminish player frustration, after all :)

In single player Dont starve bundling wraps were learned from just beating up normal every day bees you didn’t have to tackle some boss to get that.

I would prefer it if Killing Bee Queen or Dragonfly wasn’t a requirement for minimal things like a purely cosmetic Pet Den Critter..

Make some sort of vortex tile (or add anyyyy kind of mechanic) that can serve as a disposal area for vanquishing unwanted items in the base. It can even be a late-game item so that people won't craft one for the sake of griefing at the beginning of a world. Anything to combat the accumulation of hound teeth / rot / manure / stingers that arises in base areas as the game goes on. I don't care if I have to pick up items that litter here and there as long as I can dispose of them in a somewhat efficient manner. Past day 1000 hound teeth are flooding the base and there is literally nothing intelligent you can do with them. All it does is contribute to lag. (Okay, it's mostly hound teeth. Other resources that tend to litter the base can be dealt with in various ways).

Or maybe I should simply try setting up a Lureplant to get rid of them........

I only have a couple of ideas, and all of them are focused on console (i play on pc and ps). 

-being able to see the numbers on the stat circles (maybe a toggle option in settings). I noticed that, with Wanda's arrival, I lack the precision I need to use the watches (on console you have to completely stay still for a second to check the stat numbers). 

-target priorities with walls, fences, etc. Not only in combat, but if there is something to pick up near a wall, the game sometimes is like "oh, you want to investigate this wall, right?". Or if i have a shovel, let me dig up the stump before having to collect whatever is on top. 

And on a general aspect, merms need animations, names, etc. 

11 minutes ago, Misa22 said:

(on console you have to completely stay still for a second to check the stat numbers). 

You don’t have to stand still, you can press the RT button or Maybe it was LT to check these stats.. but it would be nice if there was a way to toggle rather the stats stay visible or fade away.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You don’t have to stand still, you can press the RT button or Maybe it was LT to check these stats.. but it would be nice if there was a way to toggle rather the stats stay visible or fade away.

And when you press that button (open inventory tab) you cannot move,that is what i mean. 

36 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Make some sort of vortex tile (or add anyyyy kind of mechanic) that can serve as a disposal area for vanquishing unwanted items in the base. It can even be a late-game item so that people won't craft one for the sake of griefing at the beginning of a world. Anything to combat the accumulation of hound teeth / rot / manure / stingers that arises in base areas as the game goes on. I don't care if I have to pick up items that litter here and there as long as I can dispose of them in a somewhat efficient manner. Past day 1000 hound teeth are flooding the base and there is literally nothing intelligent you can do with them. All it does is contribute to lag. (Okay, it's mostly hound teeth. Other resources that tend to litter the base can be dealt with in various ways).

Or maybe I should simply try setting up a Lureplant to get rid of them........

Someone mentioned the lack of bone shards, somewhere at some point, which is a problem when playing single player especially, if I remember correctly. Why not just be able to craft or better yet hammer hound's teeth into bone shards?

15 hours ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

That's a huge difference, all structures requiring boards are now 25% less expensive.

Alchemy engines now only require 12 logs instead of 16, chests need 9 instead of 12.

I see this as an absolute win!

Anyways, I'd really just like to see underpowered/utilized items get some buffs. Maybe also some tweaks to tamed beefalos 

17 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

I see this as an absolute win!

Anyways, I'd really just like to see underpowered/utilized items get some buffs. Maybe also some tweaks to tamed beefalos 

I’m actually oddly in agreement with you, as someone who tirelessly advocates for harder content, a Hardcore mode or difficulty toggles that reinstates at least SOME of the challenge from Solo DS- There are certain parts of the game that COULD be more forgiving, having to collect so many resources isn’t fun it’s just time consuming, and if someone has very limited time to play the game… then much like Wanda- Time is everything to them.

To Clarify into the simplest TL:DR I can muster up- Perhaps craftable structures, items and weapons can be made easier to craft/less time consuming.. Meanwhile we get newer more challenging biomes, enemy mobs, enemy attack behaviors, and weather hazards to more then make up for that.

not sure if this is said yet but seeing a change to the way lazy deserters could be nice, seeing ad the new character wanda can make wormholes anywhere and they can go cross dimensions i think it would be nice if lazy deserters could go cross dimensions aswell, this would be a small tweak to them that could make it more used now that wanda is in the game

Archived