QoL Discussion thread

I don’t want a mod, consoles can’t have mods.. what I want is for Klei to realize people have house cats or little children who will often get in the way of their very important inventory menu full of stuff that’s at the bottom of your television screen- and it would be Nice to be able to reposition this inventory to the top,left or right of your screen instead. So any potential human or cat heads that would be blocking your field of view: All that information is instead conveniently located at the top out of the way of their interference with seeing and managing your inventory.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:00 PM, Szczuku said:

-Remove critters' 'hungry' screaming. Litteraly the only annoying part about them.

This please. The giblet has the cutest skins in the game and is utterly unusable because of the whining...

Also, the thulecite medallion should show the state of the nightmare cycle anywhere in the world. Sitting around at the entrance to the wilds waiting for the fissures to close isn't fun.

A use for pearls empty bottles, an Actual USE they could have beyond being traded back to Pearl, for example: Semi- cheap Make shift lanterns that you can catch fireflies or put lightbulb or bulbous light bug in. Or a way of preserving Honey & fistful of jam when they are stacked in these jars and put into a fridge with ice in it.

If milking volt goats ever became a thing I suppose they could be used for that too.

Ooo I have some: 

1. An easier way to access the "farming menu" given by the gardener hat, I like to play Wormwood a lot and having to make the hat which is mainly pointless and mean I need to remove headgear just to see what makes good crop combos is slightly annoying, maybe give it a recipe that's just a seed and papyrus like the cookbook?
  2. Faster start up time with Walters slingshot, for most mobs by the time you're about to fire they end up getting close enough to smack you and you take damage, making the item feel not very useful, if DPS is a concern give it a cooldown after use like Wanda's backstep watch/ forge items, it can't feel more clunky then slingshot feels already.

Number 3

Spoiler

Number 3 is a more controversial change, but a separate chest slot for cloths, I NEVER see cloths used, for combating the elements, come winter spring or summer people seem to much rather prefer headgear, and who can blame them? Headgear is either armour, weather cloths, or sanity items which are a lot harder to get. Meanwhile chest clothing needs to compete with bag packs, armour as well and even amulets! If I want to wear clothing for weather I want it on all the time, but that means if I ever want to put something on my chest later like armour I have even less space. 

I feel like this change may open up a can of worms where clothing becomes trivial, but if the value of body gear is dropped down a bit compared to head gear, it can be something supplementary that helps and actual goes used, instead of staying how it is. A set of rarely used items who get outshone by their competitors 

Make the Lazy Forager’s durability time based instead of items picked based. 

If the lazy forager would lose durability  time based instead of item based it would allow for much greater harvests, let’s say it would last half a day of permanent use regardless if it’s picking up items or not, it would certainly improve the process of collecting thousands of logs or rocks, or giant crops loot, after hammering/weather pain them.

It doesn’t even have to be refuelable if it were that way as it would be far more efficient and convenient to always have a bunch of those around specially when mass gathering something.

I don’t know if anyone has said this yet but please can we make Triple MacTusk a guaranteed set piece. With the addition of Wanda to the roster this would especially make a fantastic change to the game.

I play on console so I can’t just download a mod to fix it and I’m sick of regenerating worlds that don’t have the set piece. It’s always been a chore deciding who gets the tusks in the past but now with Wanda gobbling them up for her Backtrek Watches too this problem is worse than it’s ever been.

5 minutes ago, deemo_ said:

I don’t know if anyone has said this yet but please can we make Triple MacTusk a guaranteed set piece. With the addition of Wanda to the roster this would especially make a fantastic change to the game.

I play on console so I can’t just download a mod to fix it and I’m sick of regenerating worlds that don’t have the set piece. It’s always been a chore deciding who gets the tusks in the past but now with Wanda gobbling them up for her Backtrek Watches too this problem is worse than it’s ever been.

in the midtime you can use the settings to put mactusk spawners in more, lots, etc

edit: for pubs there must be more than just 1, is so annoying if many are trying to get the cane

13 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

in the midtime you can use the settings to put mactusk spawners in more, lots, etc

edit: for pubs there must be more than just 1, is so annoying if many are trying to get the cane

I always have Walrus Camps on more, I just don’t think it makes a difference. Four worlds in a row with “more” Walrus Camps and only one camp near the moonstone.

Oh another QOL change, make it so Wurt and Wormwood don't freeze in spring from being cold. The problem with spring weather and rain is that it brings so many negatives that there's just no reason to not avoid being wet, I can live with tools slipping out of WW hands but freezing the moment I  leave the campfire because I was a little too wet is really annoying.

As crazy as it’s going to sound- lowering the cost of crafting certain things: Like torches from 2 twigs and 2 grass to 1 twigs and 1 grass or have an alternate way to create torches (1 log, 1 Charcoal) would massively help more players who spawn into a world where most the resources near the portal have already been plucked.

I think reducing the crafting costs would = Less time crafting, More time actually playing. 

Also spawning into a world Mid-Winter and without immediate help from other players, Rabbit Earmuffs aren’t enough to keep you alive, maybe the game should also spawn in a small campfire for you with a burnt tree and one charcoal? No I’m not joking about this.. Maxwells Adventures mode spawned these items near the player in Solo DS, it would make instantly dying less likely to happen.

Another thing that could help improve that is to remove certain helpful craftables from needing to learn at a science/alchemy engine first.  Ahem such as: letting a player who spawn in the game mid-winter spawn in with a blueprint for Winter Cap or Thermal, a blue print they can only LEARN but not drop out their inventory.

I bring this up.. because Solo DS did ALL THESE THINGS..

And because- you can effectively survive Summer with the Parasol+Straw Hat+ taking cover under trees/in caves until you can craft a thermal..

But with Winter.. You need to go gather gold to unlock science machine to unlock things you need like Razor to shave Beefalo- And well yeah… you just die (trust me I’ve tested it a lot..) Summer is Easy to survive joining in middle of an already on going world, Winter could use a little more work..

3 minutes ago, Dextops said:

k so i need a torch to get charcoal but to make a torch i need charcoal

Identical to how Minecraft does it? YES. You can make one torch the first route (which you will now spawn into the game with already craftable) you can then burn some trees and make an axe (again something you already have access to when joining a world mid game thanks to the starting resources..) you can burn a small forest collecting more wood and LOTS of Charcoal- and make a torch using a different set of items to craft it with For those occasions that you can’t actually find 2 Grass or 2 Saplings to create them the normal way..

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

which you will now spawn into the game with already craftable) you can then burn some trees and make an axe

k so if someone new uses up the torch they are just softlocked why not just keep the recipe as is cause this suggestion is more expensive requiring 2 twigs one flint and more time

5 minutes ago, Dextops said:

k so if someone new uses up the torch they are just softlocked why not just keep the recipe as is cause this suggestion is more expensive requiring 2 twigs one flint and more time

Because it works in other survival games like Minecraft, Ark Survival Evolved, The Long Dark & 7 Days to Die? And DST is still a Survival Game?

The TL:DR- it gives more crafting options for torches should you happen to be out of one resource or the other.. 

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Because it works in other survival games like Minecraft, Ark Survival Evolved, The Long Dark & 7 Days to Die? And DST is still a Survival Game?

The TL:DR- it gives more crafting options for torches should you happen to be out of one resource or the other.. 

so you prefer to change the recipes into a annoying thing and making recipes with less cost to play in pubs but complain when the game gives you the basics in case all the biomes near the portal has been picked

17 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

so you prefer to change the recipes into a annoying thing and making recipes with less cost to play in pubs but complain when the game gives you the basics in case all the biomes near the portal has been picked

Yes.. And I’m 34 years old, I know when to admit when I’m wrong- I complained about giving people starting resources, but NOW I’m complaining about not giving them ENOUGH starting resources.

(mostly because I’m tired of having to drop everything I’m doing and go bring survival items to someone who is stuck by the Postern but still my point stands-)

If there were multiple ways to craft a torch like other Survival games, and some recipes were already learnable via Blueprint in the players inventory, there would be a whole lot less “can you please stop exploring the new ocean biome, sail all the way back to the starting area of the game and bring me some basic tools to survive with?”

And… there’s also the fact if I choose to turn OFF starting resources, I can still play the game the classic way- so why not?

Why are you guys arguing so much over something that other games of the same genre as DS have PROVEN successful?

I mean it’s kinda common logic to be able to create a torch in different ways then just 2 grass, 2 twigs.. Why can’t I use Charcoal for torches like Minecraft?

Anyways- I asked for this during the last QoL update but I’ll ask again since well that’s kinda literally what this thread is for-

B7CC2C6A-0732-4451-B076-7485D9C89FCB.thumb.jpeg.810a16b58ab9a51aeb2550cd6f5c52b5.jpeg

Please Klei… I keep smashing boats into this land because it’s hard to tell where the water ends, and where the dark green land/swamp begins whilst sailing at night.

10 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Make the Lazy Forager’s durability time based instead of items picked based. 

I support this. Being able to pick up exactly 225 items incentivizes players to use the Lazy Forager only on cave holes: using it on common items like logs, grass tufts and silk feels like a waste of a gem, even though those are exactly the items that it would be most useful for.

This change would result in one notable loss of function, though: in it's current state the forager is a great item for Webber, since it allows you to consistently pick up meat and pig skins that will otherwise be eaten by your army of spiders.

Building Wurts Royal Tapestry and electing Merm King feels like a waste of time and a DOWNGRADE for her character: When you have no elected King Merms will aggressively defend their swamps from anyone who isn’t Wurt or Wearing a Clever Disguise, but the Moment you elect a King all Merms become Passive- It’s Stupid..

Wurt should be able to walk over to the Merm King and toggle rather her army is mostly passive or if they punch everyone in sight- like soothing and riling up Abigail.

Im not sold on letting Wurt be allowed to Swim, but NOT getting cold when Wet is a thing she should totally have already had.. and until Merms as a MOB can Swim and attack You: I don’t want Wurt getting any special swimming treatments either.

2 minutes ago, Hatty DeWitt said:

Make so any follower smiles like the spiders from Webber's refresh. Pigs, merms, bunnymen and rocklobsters. I don't see why we shouldn't have an indication of who's following us and if their loyalty has dropped to 0

oBV9WOd.png

I'm sorry.

I want small QoL update for pets. Not just the screaming. 

Luna Moth can make a teeny tiny bit of light. Not enough to make real light redundant, but it's a really neat little bonus thing. I'd like to see every pet have some small little inconsequential bonus. There was a suggestions thread a while back that listed some nice ones. Like Kittykits poncing on shadow hands and broodling emitting a teensy bit of heat. I like that and it would be a teeny tiny QoL that makes pets not NEEDED, but all unique and a wee bit useful in certain moments.

I dont usually die in caves, but when I do and dont have a way go resurrect myself, its one of the most tedious things to do in Endless mode. You have to go all the way back to the surface through the caves, without a light source relying on memory and the map. I so wish being a ghost allowed you to go through the gaps like you can in the overworld with the ocean and such.

3 hours ago, Maybe a dog said:

I dont usually die in caves, but when I do and dont have a way go resurrect myself, its one of the most tedious things to do in Endless mode. You have to go all the way back to the surface through the caves, without a light source relying on memory and the map. I so wish being a ghost allowed you to go through the gaps like you can in the overworld with the ocean and such.

Meat effigie?

Archived