QoL Discussion thread

On 9/23/2021 at 2:37 PM, Karitha said:

Merms and frogs probably have same anchestors. They look same, they drop same things hey both drop frog legs.

Unless I'm mistaken, merms don't have ancestors and are the result of a curse. What came before them was goats.

I would like for ice flingos to last longer before they need to be refueled. Double the fuel tank's capacity so they need twice as much fuel to be full but last for 10 instead of 5 days.

I would also like some sort of bird feeder attachment for the birdcage. It would be refillable and hold 3-5 seeds. The bird would consume a seed each time it gets hungry. Useful for when you leave the base for a long time and for megabasing.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Unless I'm mistaken, merms don't have ancestors and are the result of a curse. What came before them was goats.

Based on devs Wurt isn't a result of this so I doubt this is true of the merms in the constant and based on vignettes Merms are one of the oldest races in the constant.

4 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I'm pretty sure it's a witch thing.
You know how in fairy tales witches turn people into frogs? Doesn't mean all frogs were once people.
I imagine its how the Gnaw works. It turns things into merms, but doesn't specifically say all merms came from it!
Wurt for example wasn't a goat, she was guard merm born!

7 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Based on devs Wurt isn't a result of this so I doubt this is true of the merms in the constant and based on vignettes Merms are one of the oldest races in the constant

well no pipton gives us insight where the cursed went and we have no evidence for anything else so its the best assumption merms originated from the gnaw but not all merms were once goats

9 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Based on devs Wurt isn't a result of this so I doubt this is true of the merms in the constant and based on vignettes Merms are one of the oldest races in the constant.

Do you mean the one that says "Merms inhabited the marshes of The Constant long before humans, and will probably exist long after."? Because humans came to the Constant very recently.

7 hours ago, -Variant said:

I'm pretty sure it's a witch thing.
You know how in fairy tales witches turn people into frogs? Doesn't mean all frogs were once people.
I imagine its how the Gnaw works. It turns things into merms, but doesn't specifically say all merms came from it!
Wurt for example wasn't a goat, she was guard merm born!

Wurt wasn't a goat because her parents weren't goats when they had her. That doesn't show anything about whether or not the merm were initially caused by a curse. A witch turning someone into a frog would let that frog make tadpoles. 

Actually I'm gonna drop some D E E P hidden lore on you guys, that may shock you.

Merms are actually just people from florida, that's what they look like up close. From the broken down meth houses that try to fit 10 junkies in it, to the scaly skin from their attempt at mating with gators.

Ever heard of Florida man? Its true look it up.

I’m confused how a QoL suggestions thread became about Merm Lore..

are you guys going this far off topic because you think me & @HowlVoid are lying when we tell you the October QoL was “added in as a Bonus” and that the Roadmapped QoL is still coming?

There are several things I would like to see in a QoL, that Halloween skin sets losing details between free & paid is a good example.

Getting an option to actually DO something with the head slot on scarecrows beyond “default” is another good example.

Being able to relocate the HUD is one of my top requests..

Come on guys make another thread if you want to dive deep into Merm-folk lore.

14 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Do you mean the one that says "Merms inhabited the marshes of The Constant long before humans, and will probably exist long after."? Because humans came to the Constant very recently.

Wurt wasn't a goat because her parents weren't goats when they had her. That doesn't show anything about whether or not the merm were initially caused by a curse. A witch turning someone into a frog would let that frog make tadpoles. 

This is based on the assumption that Merms didn't exist originally. We also don't know if the gnaw can turn people into other things in addition unless the lore changed completely Maxwell has been on the throne for a very very long time and hamlet's civilization was likely inspired by humans who visited in the past outside of what's already been confirmed we're all just guessing.

Now that there is the ability to “pause” my server can I get an option to enable/disable a password for my server without having to exit the world and relaunch the server?

Come to think of it: People can view all the settings a host has changed for their worlds before they choose to join that world, but I think it would Equally be nice for players who Join a hosts world to be able to pull that menu back up and see what all was edited by the host.

(because I’ve joined several worlds playing for hours at a time only to finally realize later the host had certain features “off” such as- When I needed to ACTUALLY go insane to build some stuff, I finally notice after hours of play- the host had Insanity monsters set to off..)

I think these aren’t too unreasonable of requests to ask for in a future QoL. :) 

I want dst AI to be fixed, there is a lot of issues for all mobs(and also player himself) caused by wall detection, because literally everything that is not a wall doesn't counts as object you need walk around (except world's edge، but there is still issues even with this), yes of course a lot of auto farm based on that, but this issue also causes problems like wurt's merms getting lost, or bunnymen getting stuck at tree and other problems.

2 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

You will be dissapointed when that isnt true

I asked for permission before I share this, but.. now maybe you guys can stop calling me and @HowlVoid liars.. I don’t ever lie- at least not intentionally.

B5386098-5365-4E99-916E-A289C3FC8456.thumb.png.217314d98a614fb809328a5560854d23.png

With that post- do keep in mind that the Roadmap is ALWAYS subject to change at any time, this could actually end up pushed back into 2022 but well at least you know now a QoL is still coming. 

40 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

What's that? I was right? There's another qol update in the works? And no one believed me?

fat-guy.gif.8fdf11eb4d69db07155197e210c0894d.gif

Y'all owe me a big mac.

Oh and I want it with extra cheese.

hey im not trying to go bankrupt here best i can do is 2 packets of ketchup 

Can I request some pretty crazy features for a QoL? I would like to be able to “Spooky-up” My Worlds, look I’m weird okay? I rock a Zombie Lifeline skin in apex legends all year round just because I like Halloween related stuff and think it looks cool.

SO.. I would LIKE to be able to pick up and move the bones that are in the desert/on the tiny lunar islands and relocate those to my base for decoration (or to be able to create my own with Boneshards) I would ALSO like to be able to craft and place my own gravestones, these can be purely cosmetic and do not have any benefits, but if you want to give them an actual purpose maybe after X amount of days they can have a restless spirit or Pipspook inhabit the empty gravesite?

I would also really appreciate being able to remove/add a password to my server without having to exit and relaunch the world.

Also-Renewable resources, some players want resources renewable others enjoy them being non-renewable: The Perfect compromise for that is to add toggle options for each resource we can flip to decide if those Renew or remain non-renewable, you can even add a Random button for them to let the game decide what renews and what becomes non renewable!

Yeah at this point I’m just going to bring it up- As of Marches QoL update that was an entire update focused around giving us more control over world gen options, and we can now EXIT our worlds at any point and time to turn most content on/off at our own free will to do so..

why not give us even further control over our worlds? I see threads like “I want to fight dragonfly without using a wall for once” and I think to myself.. this wouldn’t be a problem at all if you had the OPTION to choose rather walls can be built in the biome she spawns within or not.

I see threads where people complain about bosses being to Grindy in Solo play but not having enough health/mechanics when playing with others & I sit and think to myself.. what if bosses had a strengthening AoE.. like the more people in the area of the fight the more difficult the fight becomes, and the less people in the area, the easier it becomes. Yes I realize some people will just exploit this by only sending one player into the fight while everyone else cheers them on from outside the AoE..

But how is that any different from ME crafting 16 marble armors and placing them in a circle around dragonfly’s arena and when one set of armor is depleted picking up another until I kill her off with just straight up tanking/pan flute? 

I would absolutely LOVE a Boss scaling QoL update, one that doesn’t just increase its HP/Damage but also modifies the attacks it can perform- such as when one person fights Dragonfly only one lava pit is opened but when 6 people fight her.. she can fly around spiting out larvae anywhere and isn’t just limited to the ponds.

Another thing I would equally love is being able to increase/decrease the frequency of the games RNG Mob encounters (yes DST DOES have those.. but they are & mostly non-existent & obscure like) While opening Tumbleweeds, Destroying Lureplants, Shoveling up Tombstones during Hallowed Nights Event, While sailing out on the Seas, Etc.. 

I have another QOL I would like to request- Can you guys PLEASE make it so that if I have an item in my hand slot that is required for crafting recipe for another item (such as in my current case of having a spear in hand and Blue Gem in Inventory wanting to turn it into an Ice Staff) can you make it so I can actually craft the Ice Staff without having to move the Spear back into my inventory first???

This just seems like a highly outdated part of the game considering all the other great QoLs we have gotten like Auto-Stacking and Quick Drop.

Well while I have no idea why I’m the only one for the last 3 posts to post any suggestions into this thread.. I’m still going to use a thread intended for QoL suggestions to suggest well- more QoL suggestions: First off I’m BEYOND thrilled that Klei is now finally paying the world Gen toggle menu settings more attention, the new Eye for an Eye update added brand new world settings for a Terraria inspired experience, and while admit ably yes- it may leave much to be desired.. it is still a prime example of where Klei is giving us different difficulty options based on our world settings/pre-sets.

More importantly it’s giving us the KLEI (or maybe in Terraria world settings case Re-Logics) very own personally chosen toggle selection that tailors the world to how THEY feel it should play under this setting.

This shows promise for things like “No Sweat Mode” (yeah it’s mobile exclusive but it’s still a thing Klei did ONCE that unlike Warbucks hasn’t been stricken from the record books) and even for a Harder Difficulty Mode under Klei’s hand picked choices.

There is EVEN a Randomize everything button now (yeah Klei I found that..) Unfortunately the Randomize everything button still only spawns things into their respective biomes and in a future QoL update I would genuinely love a truly randomly generated world where mobs and resources are no longer limited to WHERE they can spawn for true randomized chaos.

I would also enjoy something like being able to toggle if eating food can heal you or not.. It’s built into Wormwood… But maybe I want to play as someone other then Wormwood to get that same downside? There’s an actual healing tab in the game- force us to use it (but only if we want to play in a world where food won’t heal)

I bring all of this up because any future content added to the game (such as harder mode) will obviously have World Gen toggles to pick and choose what you want to be toggled to on or off.

Even the Terrarium and Eye of Terror can be toggled to OFF in settings if you don’t want them in your world.

Mobile version of DS has a world Gen setting where players can spawn into the world with an already reduced Health Core- but where is that option in DSTs menus?

This game CAN get easier and harder at the same time..

Things like the uncompromising mod servers failed to be popular because they suffered one vital flaw- all of the content added to this mode was toggled on with no option to turn it off.

Theres such a thing as having “too much” you know? And in the case of Uncomp- people absolutely LOVED some features and Absolutely Hated others to the point the entire mode wasn’t worth playing to them.

I would really like a whole lot more to be done with these toggles, they are the next best thing to mods a console player will ever have- and they allow you to customize your playing experience to be as easy or as difficult as you feel like playing at the time.

But certain things.. such as toggling spiders to more- probably shouldn’t also effect other things like also having more water spiders swarm your one manned boat deck. 

Why is Water Logged toggle options not yet available? :( 

This is the area of the game I feel deserves the most attention, because it’s where I would personally find the most enjoyment out of the game and more importantly- the games replay-ability, while already incredibly high as is… could potentially become Limitless with enough dedication to it. :) 

Archived