QoL Discussion thread

So a couple people are talking about the Wolfgang refresh coming this December, but frankly I don't care about that as much as the QoL stuff. Sure Wolfgang getting an update is nice, but that's just one character. QoL changes could impact the way you play the game for years to come, and affect more than one character. I've said this before but my #1 QoL change I'd like to see is a 4th sprite added to player sprites. DST has many asymmetrical skins, Wendy being the most notable with her flower being on both sides of her head.

Another idea I saw somewhere was to make the Thulecite Club an infinite weapon that you refueled with nightmare fuel or thulecite. This would be a really cool change and actually give the weapon some use outside of a pseudo cane.

It'd also be a nice buff if Walter didn't lose sanity due to dark swords/night armour.

Lastly I'd like to see some moonstorm changes. Even if it's just making it so the Champion have a respawn timer instead of needing to do the whole event all over again each time.

I'd love to see a few refreshed characters get a touchup or two personally. I would like to see Warly get a bonus to either his food's stats or abilities compared to other survivors, and for Wortox to be able to use souls in the Crock Pot to make dishes exclusive to himself or something similar (get more use out of eating those souls).

7 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

and for Wortox to be able to use souls in the Crock Pot to make dishes exclusive to himself or something similar (get more use out of eating those souls).

This gave me a really dumb idea...
Warly can make this recipe:

image.png.d49386c5c00a42080738326467aab179.png
Imagine if Wortox could also make a Soufflé, but insteand of potatoes or any other normal ingredient as the main ingredient he would use souls instead, souls+eggs... so instead of a normal Soufflé he would get a SOULfflé!
I feel bad for thinking about this.

Off the top of my head: 

wig: startling soliloquy  duration increased and inspiration cost decreased. Rude interlude is also pretty hard to make use of. Fireproof falsetto changed :wilsondisapproving:

deconstruct bq crown for honey combs and FW helmet and bone armor for fossils. 

Wurt: a fix for all the janky hat visual issues she has if its possible. fix for merms getting lost, fix for Merms and Merm king taking dmg from being fed kelp..... merm king buff carrying over across shards, merm names, merm loyalty indicators, merm guard out of combat hp regen.  ill stop there cuz Wurt has a lot of issues that perhaps should be adressed in a dedicated mini character update. 

Make lazy deserter useful for solo play. 

Better CK loot? If that can be considered qol change. 

World gen update. Make the Archives larger on average to include more moth dens and/or add dustmoth dens as a world gen option.

Purpose for hot springs

hammer hounds teeth for a chance at bone shards. 

Make more junk eligible for the compost bin. 

Use fishing rod to fish out drops in the ocean 

Spoiler

iirc thul club deals more dmg than dark sword for characters with default dmg modifier and especially wes who gets to spawn more tentacles with it. Its what i always use once i have access to it for bosses im not fighting on my beef like FW. 

Edit: i mixed up startling soliloquy and rude interlude :wilson_facepalm: i think they should both have a longer duration so theyre more practical to use 

-I'd like for merms to have low loyalty and full animations

- I would like all followers regardless of type to teleport back to their homes after 2 days(if they have one)

- I'd like merm king to remain as either a permanent upgrade unless you dismantle or have one mass feeding per 15 days

- would like a stackable alternative to fish tributes or a shop with prices for what you want specifically from the merm king

-  would like it if clever disguises did not rot or could be repaired via sewing kits or previously mentioned shop idea(teamplay integration)

- I feel like Wurt should have her own version of webby whistle and healing goop

Change how wetness works on spiders would be my #1 request. Since they can be put into inventory now, they're treated as items instead of mobs and objects, which means they have a separate wetness meter from the entire world. This change massively nerfed morning star against the simplest mob in the game. What, am I supposed to have 2 weapons on me during spring - one for everything, one for spiders? Blasphemy.

I was actually tempted to make a thread with a title "Why Webber rework ruined the game forever" because of that. I reported it as a bug and there's no official response. Probably gonna be another case of "it's intentional by design" like how morning star doesn't stack with Warly's jelly. 

Edit: lakhnish singlehandedly saved the game for me, so my request is fulfilled.

2 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

Change how wetness works on spiders would be my #1 request. Since they can be put into inventory now, they're treated as items instead of mobs and objects, which means they have a separate wetness meter from the entire world. This change massively nerfed morning star against the simplest mob in the game. What, am I supposed to have 2 weapons on me during spring - one for everything, one for spiders? Blasphemy.

I was actually tempted to make a thread with a title "Why Webber rework ruined the game forever" because of that. I reported it as a bug and there's no response. Probably gonna be another case of "it's intentional by design" like how morning star doesn't stack with Warly's jelly. 

Morning star doesn't stack with jelly because jelly doesn't give a damage boost it gives you electric modifier which has a damage boosting modifier morning star already has this so nothing changes it's like trying to burn a burning tree.

The #1 thing on my list- More world Gen options and world Gen settings.

Archipelago style world gens would be included in this list.

#2 After that I would probably be OKAY with reducing crafting costs on some things here & there a bit like Boats only needing 3 planks instead of 4.. etc etc. just to make sure in an Archipelago style world Gen the player doesn’t get completely screwed by spawning somewhere they can’t build a boat.

#3 Character touch ups on already released/reworked characters- Willows lighters being refuelable using the nightmare fuel she farms Would go a long way in keeping the lighter useful even late game.

Guess thats it outside of the things I’ve stated multiple times across multiple other threads that don’t need repeating.

Maybe make Applied Silviculture not "reset" fully grown trees, possibly even refreshing the duration of their fully grown phase? Would be nice to maximize wood gains when farming.

A way to "pause" trees and marble shrubs at any stage would be appreciated too, either for decoration or so you can guarantee they will wait for whenever you have the time to break them at the third phase.

Also, a way to place Knobbly Tree Nuts into the water without needing a boat would be great. I hate seeing those awkward puddles of ocean that don't have enough space for boats knowing they would be great to plant a Knobbly tree on, but ya just can't.

• live fishes don't spoil faster when wet
  • Wurt's temperature doesn't decrease when she's wet
  • the merm king's feeding animation is either shorter OR scales higher or lower depending on the hunger value of the food given (like beefs do)

• Merms returning to their house after not being friends with anyone for a while. Getting names, and showing when they are hungry.
  • Allow the merm king to offer better loot when he is given sea fish, special seasonal fish, or particularly heavy fish.
  • Walter's slingshot improvements, slightly faster firing rate and maybe a small AOE upon hit for the magic crowd control pellets.
  • Warly getting longer duration of time based food effects on him
  • Crab King kill revealing sunken chests with decent loot. (maybe a mini quest of locating the hidden treasure of CK, after the kill)
  • Improving the strident trident so it's actually a decent weapon on land too (maybe repairable? It's already really expensive to make)
  • Improving the loot table of all sunken chests, so taking the time to go treasure hunting is actually a profitable activity worth the risk and time.
  • Improving the attack pattern, behavior, and loot of Rockjaws. Currently their behavior is too random, tends to swim away halfway into the fight, and it is not even worth killing for its loot.
  • Bless us with the long awaited rain making device/item (maybe part of crab king loot?)
  • Increase the drop chance of cookie cutters shell, when killing cookie cutters.
  • Allow Wortox to heal befriended mobs, and actively ridden beefalos, with his souls. Optional: allow him to soul hop the ridden beefalo too.
  • Allow Wigfrid's heartrending ballad to affect actively ridden beefalos, just as it currently affects allied mobs and minions.
  • Give Fireproof falsetto a real use. If it was meant to be a joke item, perhaps make it a bit more evident on it's description, then.
  • Make the dust moths/amberosia mechanic provide more thulecite fragments.

40 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:
  • Give Fireproof falsetto a real use. If it was meant to be a joke item, perhaps make it a bit more evident on it's description, then.

it's so bad people are considering if it's a joke item or not

lmao

7 hours ago, Owlrus said:

I'd love to see a few refreshed characters get a touchup or two personally. I would like to see Warly get a bonus to either his food's stats or abilities compared to other survivors, and for Wortox to be able to use souls in the Crock Pot to make dishes exclusive to himself or something similar (get more use out of eating those souls).

Yes please! All characters should have something that benefits them only. Right now, Warly is just a Wilson with a tedious to deal hunger mechanic.

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:
  • Merms returning to their house after not being friends with anyone for a while.

It should be for all mobs that have houses (Pigs, Merms, Bunnymen, GrassGator). If they get lost and unloaded, their house will be empty forever.

9 hours ago, Ohan said:

World gen update. Make the Archives larger on average to include more moth dens and/or add dustmoth dens as a world gen option.

Yes please. Fountains of Knowledge are not even guaranteed spawns, they have a chance to not spawn at all.

9 hours ago, Queron81 said:

- Better AI for mobs (not walking towards walls/fences all the time trying to reach unreachable food).

Upon becoming allied with that mob, they learn from you and become smarter as long as they're allied with you.

That'd be nice. I used to have so many spiders just stuck trying to follow me.

-General sprite, animation and interactions update. For example adding a 2nd sprite for grass tufts would make almost the entire overworld look fresh. Now imagine if more plants, structures, items and mobs received that. Not to mention that Webber's rework did spiders dirty- still no animations.

-Update mob AI. Like many have said, mobs don't recognize fences. Even if there's no food behind them, mobs can walk in place, stuck on a fence.

-Update map and biome generation. For example fix meteor fields being much, much bigger than turf indicates

-Ability to pause 'Alone' worlds.

-Remove critters' 'hungry' screaming. Litteraly the only annoying part about them.

-Some ways to 'clean up' the world from rot, poop/guano and twigs. Something simmilar to how moleworms clean up anything mineral, very useful in caves.

3 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

-General sprite, animation and interactions update. For example adding a 2nd sprite for grass tufts would make almost the entire overworld look fresh. Now imagine if more plants, structures, items and mobs received that. Not to mention that Webber's rework did spiders dirty- still no animations.

Although it does seems "boring" after a while, you underestimate two important things.

ressources or assets looking the same send an immediate response to your brain as to what you see on your game screen does, so that you recognize what you encounter in the game field. Having grass tufts looking all sorts of weird shapes would lengthen this response time for little to no benefit. Some players would also start "collecting" specific shapes and complain to klei when there aren't enough of the one they want in their worldgen.

second, imagine how much of a nightmare it is for new players trying to learn the game to figure out countless things that look completely different yet serve the same purpose. It's easy and obvious for us only because we've played the game for years.

Archived