QoL Discussion thread

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Meat effigie?

What about it? What if I dont have beard hair for it? What if I dont know about them? What if I opted for a Life Giving Amulet instead and died again? The definition of a QoL change is making something more ergonomic for the user by removing unnecessary fluff, which is exactly what those invisible walls are. Unless a Meat Effigy spawns by itself at the entrance of a cave, that doesnt solve the issue.

32 minutes ago, Maybe a dog said:

What about it? What if I dont have beard hair for it? What if I dont know about them? What if I opted for a Life Giving Amulet instead and died again? The definition of a QoL change is making something more ergonomic for the user by removing unnecessary fluff, which is exactly what those invisible walls are. Unless a Meat Effigy spawns by itself at the entrance of a cave, that doesnt solve the issue.

What if that doesnt matter because is your fault? All the scenarios you said are something you can improve or your preference playing, nothing that should take into accpunt to balance the game

It already allows you to have a resurrection area with miner hats or lamps plus the option of making a mushligh for perma light (not neccesary if you build the effigie where there is a sinkhole)

Isnt like the meate effigie is hard to get just boards and killing rabits

6 hours ago, Maybe a dog said:

I dont usually die in caves, but when I do and dont have a way go resurrect myself, its one of the most tedious things to do in Endless mode. You have to go all the way back to the surface through the caves, without a light source relying on memory and the map. I so wish being a ghost allowed you to go through the gaps like you can in the overworld with the ocean and such.

The caves portal also resurrects you. You probably need to find it while still alive though.

It doesnt matter if its a cave exit, underground portal or touch stone. Its the same issue. You still have to go through the map nearly blind through branchy paths in the darkness to get to them.

21 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

What if that doesnt matter because is your fault? All the scenarios you said are something you can improve or your preference playing, nothing that should take into accpunt to balance the game

Except that its not balance, its QoL. Its fine if there is a misconception here, since its common on this forum board. This change wouldnt affect balance at all.

Regardless, it doesnt matter if you can avoid it with game mechanics or not when we are talking about user experience. Because when it happens its not punishing, dangerous or a hindrance to progress, its just tedious.

5 minutes ago, Maybe a dog said:

It doesnt matter if its a cave exit, underground portal or touch stone. Its the same issue. You still have to go through the map nearly blind through branchy paths in the darkness to get to them.

Except that its not balance, its QoL. Its fine if there is a misconception here, since its common on this forum board. This change wouldnt affect balance at all.

Regardless, it doesnt matter if you can avoid it with game mechanics or not when we are talking about user experience. Because when it happens its not punishing, dangerous or a hindrance to progress, its just tedious.

It affects balance. Isnt a QoL, is just making reviving in the caves even easier 

1- If your seriously considering most people’s suggestions of letting Wurt swim, I want MERMS as a Mob to be able to Swim..

I figure there is some actual LORE reason why they don’t because you guys literally programmed hounds to swim, and bee’s to fly over masses over water, but you left Merms getting hung up on edges of land like some kind of brainless scaled fish monster.. oh uh yeah- Nevermind!

jokes aside.. if Wurt can swim All Merms should- which would also make them a more dangerous threat for non-Wurts and probably massively effect gameplay as a whole.

2-  one of the posts above is absolutely right, dying while down inside a cave absolutely sucks.. I don’t die often but my noob friends do and they get frustrated floating around in the dark as a ghost trying to find a exit to get out the caves- It would probably therefore make sense that if your a dead ghost: You see the screen as bright as being on the surface and can more easily navigate to find a way out- I don’t give one lick of thought if this makes Caves content any easier- If Being able to shove a Beefalo in your pocket and go down in a Cave didn’t do that: THIS Won’t either…

In fact: Klei could actually put that “Rescue Me” button prompt to use- it will automatically relocate the dead player to the nearest caves exit they’ve discovered so they can return to the surface and be more easily revived.

This doesn’t add extra challenge to the game: in fact it does the exact opposite- It makes newer players annoyed they spend more of their time floating around as a ghost then they actually do getting to play & enjoy the game.

9 minutes ago, Well-met said:

thats just those weird other modes isnt it?

yes, only in endless(?)

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

2-  one of the posts above is absolutely right, dying while down inside a cave absolutely sucks.. I don’t die often but my noob friends do and they get frustrated floating around in the dark as a ghost trying to find a exit to get out the caves- It would probably therefore make sense that if your a dead ghost: You see the screen as bright as being on the surface and can more easily navigate to find a way out- I don’t give one lick of thought if this makes Caves content any easier- If Being able to shove a Beefalo in your pocket and go down in a Cave didn’t do that: THIS Won’t either…

there is a huge difference between letting a beefalo going down with similar dps as a wilson but uneable to insta heal (try to heal your beefalo with terrobeaks or rooks nearby and tell me if that makes the game easier lmao) than letting a player revive easily

caves are suppose to be more difficult than the surface and one factors that achieve this is the perma darkness (thing that some people in the thread seem to forget) so if you wanna go to the caves better prepare a little better. Having a way to resurrect in the surface is mandatory but in the caves even more. 

You guys dont use lanters? they fall in the floor when you die so you can revive with plenty of light

in adittion, dont forget than reviving in DST was already made way easier than in DS since you dont need to wear an amulet, you dont insta revive (having time to wait until a good moment to revive) and meat effigies without health penalty and easier recipe

if you are afraid of going into the caves just prepare better. I always have a meat effigie in a cave entrance near my base with an amulet, a lanter and a weapon and never lost a world even when i, ofc, die like eveyone else in this game

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

1- If your seriously considering most people’s suggestions of letting Wurt swim, I want MERMS as a Mob to be able to Swim..

I figure there is some actual LORE reason why they don’t because you guys literally programmed hounds to swim, and bee’s to fly over masses over water, but you left Merms getting hung up on edges of land like some kind of brainless scaled fish monster.. oh uh yeah- Nevermind!

jokes aside.. if Wurt can swim All Merms should- which would also make them a more dangerous threat for non-Wurts and probably massively effect gameplay as a whole.

If it gives Wurt the ability to swim, then yes also let all merms swim. 

Stuff works differently in the constant. Let the Saltwaters and the Freshwaters swim together for the sake of let Wurt swim please.

9 minutes ago, AlternateMew said:

If it gives Wurt the ability to swim, then yes also let all merms swim. 

Stuff works differently in the constant. Let the Saltwaters and the Freshwaters swim together for the sake of let Wurt swim please.

If she was allowed to swim it should probably only be short distances only, and not well you know the entire ocean she should also not be able to fight back when hostile ocean mobs attack her because she needs her arms and legs to stay afloat- Which would also mean: Her role in swimming is reduced to only picking up “Loose” items in the waters, and she couldn’t actually use a Pickaxe or axe to mine/chop resources with.

Allow people who join a hosts world to pull up a menu in the server settings to see what choices the host has toggled on/off.

I joined a world earlier waiting for Winter & Hounds only to later discover the host had them toggled off- yes I know you can check this BEFORE joining.. but being able to view what the hosts settings are while in the game would be a nice QoL change.

2 hours ago, TabbyCollector said:

A morning star buff would be cool. IMO it's too situational and gets outclassed by volt-goat jelly. It would be great if the two items synergized somehow.

But volt goat jelly is locked behind a specific character, so I don’t think they compete when you probably don’t have a Warly in the world (which in pub worlds is most of the time). 

I fully support that the jelly increases the effectiveness of the morning star, though.

3 hours ago, TabbyCollector said:

A morning star buff would be cool. IMO it's too situational and gets outclassed by volt-goat jelly. It would be great if the two items synergized somehow.

I like the morning star. If you aren't playing Warly and no one else on the server is Warly then the point about vgcf is moot, leaving it the only melee weapon that deals bonus damage against wet targets and the only melee weapon that emits light (so you can wear both armor and a rain coat or eyebrella). I think the only issue with the morning star is that to my understanding the only enemy that can get wet when it isn't raining is dragonfly. If they extended that wetness capability to all bosses & boss adds then it would be a lot better I think.

8 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I like the morning star. If you aren't playing Warly and no one else on the server is Warly then the point about vgcf is moot, leaving it the only melee weapon that deals bonus damage against wet targets and the only melee weapon that emits light (so you can wear both armor and a rain coat or eyebrella). I think the only issue with the morning star is that to my understanding the only enemy that can get wet when it isn't raining is dragonfly. If they extended that wetness capability to all bosses & boss adds then it would be a lot better I think.

I’ve never understood why they limited water balloons to only wetting Dragonfly, the item is already niche and almost useless enough without such a limitation. I get that they maybe wanted players to counter her enraged form with them specifically, but the pan flute does that job a million times better so why would anyone bother with water balloons?

On the topic of the morning star though, I really hope they add more weapons like it in the future: that being weapons that are a little bit more than a spear that does more damage. The last melee weapon we got was the glass cutter which was so bland. They had an opportunity to make a moon sword that is more effective against shadows, but all it gets is more durability against them? What a waste.

3 minutes ago, deemo_ said:

I’ve never understood why they limited water balloons to only wetting Dragonfly, the item is already niche and almost useless enough without such a limitation. I get that they maybe wanted players to counter her enraged form with them specifically, but the pan flute does that job a million times better so why would anyone bother with water balloons?

If I remember correctly servers would lag really hard when there were a log of entities such as from a frog rain, because it was keeping track of the wetness value of every single thing on the entire world. To get around that issue they just disabled keeping track of wetness, and made it a binary "Wet" or "Not wet" based on whether or not the world itself is wet from rain. They have dfly as the exception because you can derage her by making her wet.

Pan flute is better for it, but pan flute is more expensive. If you don't have a pan flute for whatever reason (its durability got used up, somebody took it, etc) you can use a watering can, water balloons, and/or rain to derage her.

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

If I remember correctly servers would lag really hard when there were a log of entities such as from a frog rain, because it was keeping track of the wetness value of every single thing on the entire world. To get around that issue they just disabled keeping track of wetness, and made it a binary "Wet" or "Not wet" based on whether or not the world itself is wet from rain. They have dfly as the exception because you can derage her by making her wet.

I imagine they could make waterballoons simply make an entity wet for a certain amount of time, instead of using the actual wetness component and all it's complex calculations. It's what the waterballoons make mobs wet mod on the workshop does.

Really wish they'll look into it, would love to carry a morning star and waterballoons/watering can around with me.

Here’s a few more things that could be added to the World options- Ability to disable Maps/Cartography completely and remove helpful paths to key locations so players can truly experience being completely lost in a Wilderness survival game.

There are mods for this kind of gameplay but the best console players are going to get is to hope these things become officially featured in the game at some point.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I think the only issue with the morning star is that to my understanding the only enemy that can get wet when it isn't raining is dragonfly. If they extended that wetness capability to all bosses & boss adds then it would be a lot better I think.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Additionally, if every mob had the same wetness mechanics as dragonfly, it'd make the weapon itself much worse. For dragonfly, bonus damage scales with how wet she is. Normal multiplier is 1.5, it gets additional 1.0, which scales with wetness (each 10% is 0.1) for a maximum of 2.5. That means, to get the full 72.25 damage, dragonfly has to be exactly at 100% wetness. So yeah, a binary "wet or not wet" is generally better.

Refuelable lazy forager

Big Woby that doesn't run away from Walter

Bernie! teleports with Willow

"Wounded" animations

More renewablility to resources like anenemies, fossil fragments, reeds, honeycombs

Alternative way to mass-harvest crops other than lureplant

More convenient way to dump low durability tools and armors other than lureplant or throwing away to void

Renewable shattered and cave spider dens

Buff for seasoning salt

A little more speed for slingshot

A way to see through bundling wraps

..and those are I can suggest by now.

Character Tweaks: 

Willow- Bernie now follows Willow in & out of caves in big form, If Beefalo can fit in small cave holes now then so can large enlarged Bernie’s. Lighters are now refuelable with Nightmare Fuel, Willow can extinguish structures that are fully on fire already because a raging fire doesn’t harm her standing in it in any way.

Walter- slightly Buff slingshot speed & distance, Allow Woby while in large form to go into caves same as Beefalo. Slingshot can now be used by any character but slower & less distance.. Walter is still needed to craft & reload them. (I used to craft these handing them to people thinking I was actually HELPING..) Remove “Campfire Stories” for Marshmallows By campfire, anyone near Walter joins in Marshmallow roasting for the same effects Stories had. (6 Walters all telling different stories out of sync with each other is highly annoying..)

Winona- Spotlights auto-target the player furthest away from them without a light source, and can scare away bats. Generators can now be manually turned On/Off by a Winona to reserve power fuel.

Wurt- Wurt GAINS sanity & no longer gets cold when wet, but loses Sanity when too dry, can now relax in small ponds to cool herself & gain Wetness. Can swim short distances in ocean, but has stamina bar preventing her from swimming across entire ocean without having to return to land or boat for stamina. When a Merm King is elected WURT can walk over to him and demand him to switch the Merms in his nearby villages behavior between Passive & Aggressive.

Wurts swimming change also means Merms as a MOB can now swim too (which will completely remove their dumb A.I. Of getting hung up on ledges trying to follow or return home but can’t)

Wigfrid- Remove the Scroll that lets her “Scare” enemies away and instead put that on a infinite use Cooldown timer like Wanda’s Ageless clock, give her a cool combat ability where she charges into a crowd of enemies spear first. Give her a mostly cosmetic stand to place Armors, Helms & weapons upon for storage like a “Scarecrow that holds stuff”

I don’t realistically see ANY of these suggestions happening: but if QoL’s do indeed include character tweaks figured I would share the ones I’d like to see without suggesting anything too far out of the realm of who these characters are. 

A way to destroy graves (both the headstone and the hole). It feels the same as the old indestructible glaciers, you want to build there but you can't.

Maybe a way to build graves too? I imagine it would have to be somewhat hard to build/get the blueprint, to avoid having people building developer graveyards farms all over the map right from the get go.

Archived