Waterlogged Update Beta Open!

2 hours ago, BezKa said:

[snip]

OOOOOOH I LIKE THIS A LOT

Is this supposed to apply the skins to your starting items on spawn, or only show you what kind of skins you have unlocked for your starting items?
Cause for me it's the latter.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d7092df016d13703aeadcab094ff5aa7.png

image.thumb.png.c871787247781e74b595d57613578f58.png

EDIT: Turns out this issue only happens on cave-enabled servers.

Edited by GuyNamedChris
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason said:
  • Fig, with new recipes
  • Grassgator
  • Sea Strider
  • All boats will now eventually come to a stop, regardless of whether it has an anchor or not. Doubled the top speed of boats.

AAAAAAAAAA! Can we get fig prunes in the future? That might be a good addition for pigs and Wormwood. :wilson_smile:

ITS CANONIZED!

Eyyy!

Spoiler

On 7/2/2021 at 6:37 PM, Dr.Medic said:

image.thumb.png.fcfc612e943e9981856357ce0c6390cc.pngso something like this?

On 7/2/2021 at 7:40 PM, SkyistheGround said:

one personal idea, based on the water strider

im sorry i cant really emulate the dont starve style

1206463883_waterstriderspidey.thumb.PNG.6284ed4c6950785270e4fd5c30744cc1.PNG

It got added in!

So this is what Zarklord was talking about! Can't wait to test the speed.

1 hour ago, Instant-Noodles said:

Hide contents

grass_gator-surprise.gif.b939b0b70ced311a389b86195ba086da.gif grass_gator-walk.gif.1bc6e6998b73a198a29e9b4cb8ca3b39.gif

Spoiler

On 6/30/2021 at 6:43 AM, -Variant said:

GRASS GATOR

Hide contents

image.png.6d00fbc5ea80c0fefb4d1b54cc84cca8.pngimage.png.915b3ac303308d2ec9e42852da55c022.png

spider_water-eat.gif.55fabbd6c4f8ae301234779b4f1cea4c.gif\spider_water_mutator.gif.d9bc197c4a7813f2732729cbdf1d2c51.gif\

oceantree_pillar_1-hit.thumb.gif.fea314607f1f7985b823e977d5f88348.gifoceantree_short-sway2.gif.32d72483503547ffac060f559423ac57.gif

Kind of a reverse Krampus situation. The eye went from Wendy to Krampus.

What a cutie!

Love these tree designs.:wilson_smile:

• Like 1
  • Health 1

Put 50 Winged Sails in my boat because I thought it was funny. Realized it really isn't much faster than 20 winged sails in a boat, got disappointed cause I wasted way too much time opening winged sails. Crashed into the world border cause I'm way too bad at sailing.

Really great update, I love it!

• Haha 2

I'm not hating on anything here, I'm just giving my honest thoughts. I'm glad they are adding new stuff and all, but there's two things I think about when this stuff gets released:
Is it interesting or just a reskin of an existing enemy with the same kiting pattern, and what makes going to this new area worth it? Like is it JUST a new biome or will there be a good reason to check it out? You guys have been killing it these last 2 years, so I really think the next thing to work on in new content should be new combat as well as a reward for the effort that adds new progression to the game!

• Like 4

Can the new Sweetish Fish be given a sweetener value so they can be substitued in some honey recipes? Currently theres nothing special about them and I expected a fish thats sweetish to well, have sweetener value!

Perhaps Grass Gators can be shavable too for grass? There aren't too many sources of grass out on the ocean, so another source would be really nice.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • GL Happy 1

11 minutes ago, DarrelDarrenman said:

I'm not hating on anything here, I'm just giving my honest thoughts. I'm glad they are adding new stuff and all, but there's two things I think about when this stuff gets released:
Is it interesting or just a reskin of an existing enemy with the same kiting pattern, and what makes going to this new area worth it? Like is it JUST a new biome or will there be a good reason to check it out? You guys have been killing it these last 2 years, so I really think the next thing to work on in new content should be new combat as well as a reward for the effort that adds new progression to the game!

Beta, there will be more to come with this updates full release. Such as the new island they teased.

So far the update is pretty great. Arguably the best addition it brings is the ability to create large shades for lightning, heat and rain protection, way to deliver the big base tent item in a beautiful and natural way. The seafaring speed buff is appreciated but feels rather wonky and arguably rowing is too speedy- 1 driftwood oar provides about 2 masts worth of speed. Beyond that, I only have two concerns:

-Regrowth mechanics: Didn't get to test this much yet but are the Strider Nests and Grass Gators renewable? It seems you can only grow "above average trees" rather than great trees so artificially grown fig trees don't produce fig or make strider dens appear. As such, I wonder if gators and strider dens are strictly limited or do they regrow. This is still a serious issue with saladmanders as they are strictly limited in each world (don't bring up hallowed nights potions please, event specific items don't count.)

-1838457578_Figdishes.thumb.png.7c0b4ba1fdc54470cbb17156eb56f1cf.png New recipe stats. It's great that we are getting four brand new fig-based recipes but my first impression of them is that all but one of them is good enough to warrant making. More specifically, Figatoni is great, Figkabab and Fig-stuffed Trunk are acceptable and Figgy Frogwich is awful. 

Figatoni is finally a vegetarian meal that provides reasonably good hunger, as well as pretty impressive health and some sanity.

Figkabab is a meal on the lines of California roll with its low but niche stats that does not clash with the design philosophies of most dishes, especially alongside other stick-dishes. I welcome it as a new grilled food addition despite the fact that I'll likely not make it much. I wonder where did the inspiration of serving meat and figs on skewers came from.

Fig-Stuffed Trunk is where the recipes get worse. It is similar to waffles with is 60 HP restoration properties but considering the very situational nature of putting trunks together with figs, it should be superior to a simply cooked trunk in both health and hunger restoration, 56.2 hunger does not make it worthwhile. Instead, such a dish calls for Moqueca levels of filling thus I'd suggest its hunger value to be buffed up 112.5 like moqueca or at least 75 like the cooked trunk.

And Figgy Frogwich, worst of the bunch, a grim reminder of the tragedy of fish tacos. Why is this meal that is much more specific than Froggy bunwhich is a much worse version of it? It makes zero sense from game design perspective and joins the list of clinically broken dishes with its current stats. It should specialize in one stat instead of giving very negligible amounts of fulfilment in all three of the stats. If it is intended as a Sanity-leaning dish, it should at least provide a tangible amount like the 33 Sanity of Vegetable Stinger and Salsa fresca. If not, by all means it should have significantly superior stats than froggy bunwich

• Like 15
  • Big Ups 1

27 minutes ago, splorange said:

also the giant trees should drop more logs, 6 is so bad its hilarious. maybe 40-60?

6 may be too little but I don't think literally 40-60 would be okay considering that a fully grown evergreen only drops, like, 4 + 1 if you have a shovel. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TipherethB said:

6 may be too little but I don't think literally 40-60 would be okay considering that a fully grown evergreen only drops, like, 4 + 1 if you have a shovel. 

Have you seen how giant those giant trees are?

• Like 1

Just now, QuartzBeam said:

Have you seen how giant those giant trees are?

That's valid, but I still have a feeling that dropping 40 logs from one axe when it usually takes several to get that many (at least like, 2) shouldn't be a thing. Although I haven't played the beta yet and maybe it does take several axes..?

It should have some sort of drawback if it gave that much wood in a significantly shorter period of time. I'm all for a way to get a large ammount of logs in a very short period of time but I don't think it should be 40 or more at once. When there's several options, there needs to be upsides and drawbacks for both options, or you end with Twiggy Trees, which I think everyone agrees are just objectively worse, or at the very least objectively more mildly inconvenient than saplings.

I wouldn't mind if they dropped more but if it's just a faster way to get logs for the exact same price (albeit, fairly late-game) then I dunno if it's the best thing to encourage the players to do.

There's also a whole other thing where i'm pretty sure that replanting these currently doesn't bring back the natural elements that come with it (The figs and the new spider type) which I guess is a pretty decent drawback, but I dunno if everyone would be aware of that the first time they chop a tree like that.

Though again I haven't played the update yet, so feel free to correct me.

55 minutes ago, splorange said:

also the giant trees should drop more logs, 6 is so bad its hilarious. maybe 40-60?

Nah, 40 is a bit too much. And those trees aren't even that big. I think maybe 10-15 is better

Edited by SomebodyRandom