Waterlogged Update Beta Open!

Yesterday we TESTED the BETA. I really liked NEW BIOME! :wilson_love: I leave a summary for those who want to take a look (Video in Spanish):

Ayer PROBAMOS la BETA ¡Me gustó mucho en NUEVO BIOMA! :love_heart: Dejo un resumen para quien quiera echarle un vistazo (Vídeo en Español): 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HellHeater said:

what does it change?????

Well, 32-bit DST can only use 4GBs of RAM for each instance of it (client, forest shard and cave shards are separate instances). 64-bit DST can use, if I recall correctly, somewhere around 60-something-thousand GBs of RAM, which means you can do way, way more with mods and the like.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Well-met said:

this new biome is essentially a forest in the sea

this update is not the arctic island mentionned a while ago.

They said something about a new ice island would be next update. All we got so far is some water trees for resources we can already get much faster and easier on land. I'm assuming this is just pt1 of the update and the actual meaningful content is coming later?

2 minutes ago, LonelySkeleton said:

They said something about a new ice island would be next update. All we got so far is some water trees for resources we can already get much faster and easier on land. I'm assuming this is just pt1 of the update and the actual meaningful content is coming later?

They said it would be chill.

Doesn't mean the literal kind of chill, just chill vibes :p

Edited by Hornete
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the point of this update. We sail to a new biome just for twigs and grass, something we can already get on land easier and faster. The trees protect from rain and overheating but we can't plant them on land and we already have eyebrellas / lighning rods and themal stones for that. Why would anyone boat base in the new biome when they can spend summers at oasis or in caves instead. I just don't see a reason why i would go to the new biome more than once to check it out. :/ I love new content but if there's no incentive to go there then wtf...

• Like 4

Just now, LonelySkeleton said:

They said something about a new ice island would be next update.

They said the next biome would be "chill". Not "chilly". People just projected real hard.

1 minute ago, LonelySkeleton said:

All we got so far is some water trees for resources we can already get much faster and easier on land.

We got a brand new way to combat wildfires, which also looks really fricking good. And a way to permanently heal boat leaks (which is way too expensive at the moment, but hope springs eternal). And potentially an automated twig farm via the Grass Gators?

• Like 1

Just now, LonelySkeleton said:

I don't understand the point of this update. We sail to a new biome just for twigs and grass, something we can already get on land easier and faster. The trees protect from rain and overheating but we can't plant them on land and we already have eyebrellas / lighning rods and themal stones for that. Why would anyone boat base in the new biome when they can spend summers at oasis or in caves instead. I just don't see a reason why i would go to the new biome more than once to check it out. :/ I love new content but if there's no incentive to go there then wtf...

It seems more so like they're just attempting to fill up empty ocean space for the heck of it, without providing players any incentive to actually sail and go there.

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

They said the next biome would be "chill". Not "chilly". People just projected real hard.

We got a brand new way to combat wildfires, which also looks really fricking good. And a way to permanently heal boat leaks (which is way too expensive at the moment, but hope springs eternal). And potentially an automated twig farm via the Grass Gators?

New doesn't mean better. Why would i plant giant trees around the coast (can't even plant them on land) for protection from firers when we already have flingomatics/ oasis/ caves? I never had an issue with boat leaks just craft a stack of patches and you're set for life. Auto twig farms meh i guess we have to wait and see what it's like first, but if that's the only takeaway i will still be disappointed. Only new loot we got is for some underwhelming crockpot alternatives, only 1 of which seems worth it to even make. Also how is the new biome "Chill" exactly? Unless they meant "cool" which is misleading asf and entirely subjective.

9 minutes ago, Hornete said:

They said it would be chill.

Doesn't mean the literal kind of chill, just chill vibes :p

That's a massive stretch and if it is the case it's misleading and subjective.

• Like 2

Hey Jason or anyone else knowledgeable on the matter, how does one launch a dedicated server in 64 bit? Like for example, I currently launch my world's shards individually via launching command files. Such as:

Spoiler

@ECHO OFF

set SteamAppId=322330
set SteamGameId=322330

cd ..
start "Don't Starve Together Caves"     /D "%~dp0.." "%~dp0..\dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe" -conf_dir DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves -console

3 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Yes, that's the point, it was a surprise to the players when (mostly) all of them expected something else.

That's a pretty **** way to go about teasing new content and only results in disappointment. If you're going to surprise us then do just that relase something without notice, don't lead us on to expect one thing only to deliver something we couldn't care less about. Let's see how this "more useless ocean content" update is received 1-2 weeks from now. The way i see it the new biome is ocean filler no different in practice from the 1500 seat rocks scattered about.

3 minutes ago, LonelySkeleton said:

That's a pretty **** way to go about teasing new content and only results in disappointment. If you're going to surprise us then do just that relase something without notice, don't lead us on to expect one thing only to deliver something we couldn't care less about. Let's see how this "more useless ocean content" update is received 1-2 weeks from now. The way i see it the new biome is ocean filler no different in practice from the 1500 seat rocks scattered about.

Oh right forgot about the 64bit version. Yea that's what people will remember this update for, not the water trees.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad Dupe 1

I love the concept of planting giant trees i just wish that we get more control over where to plant them (being able to create mass of water (strident trident as a pitchfork that removes land?)) Or give them more area because right now they only work for tiny land bases or water bases (which are expensive and have punishing risks)

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1