Webber's Character Refresh Coming Next Week!

Just now, QuartzBeam said:

There's a lot of great things here: summoning spiders in the day time with the Webby Whistle, AoE healing with the Healing Glop, sleeping in tier 3 dens, "domesticating" spider dens and getting extra speed on webbing. 

As others have already stated, I do wish something will be done about the issue of spiders eating dropped foods before you can pick it up. And also about the issue of Webber losing sanity from eating raw meats besides Monster Meat.

However, I am concerned that changing spider types and giving them hats might not work all that well in practice. In theory, it could give Webber a really unique, pseudo-RTS mechanic, but most spider types feel rather interchangeable (aside from Spitter and, now, Nurse Spiders). And spiders rely heavily on "strength in numbers", so outfitting them all with helmets seems rather impractical.

You can just put hats on beefy spiders and heal them on occasion.

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

most spider types feel rather interchangeable (aside from Spitter and, now, Nurse Spiders). And spiders rely heavily on "strength in numbers", so outfitting them all with helmets seems rather impractical.

Well,

Spider Warrior/Dangling Depth Dweller: Melee DPS
Cave Spider: Melee Tank
Spitter: Marksman/Single target DPS
Shattered Spider: AOE Mage
Nurse Spider: (likely) Healing/Support
Spider: Cute lil' pet

Sounds pretty solid to me. Especially the damage-type variation between Spitters and Shattered Spiders make for interesting compositional differences depending on who/what you fight.

I'm with you on the hat-thing though. It seems like every "class" would just get good armor, nothing specifically helping their perks. Miner Hats work ofc, but I wish there were DPS-boosting options or something. Maybe Bush Hats could camouflage Spiders, making enemies less likely to target them.. Would certainly support Spitters or Shattered Spiders

10 minutes ago, HawtDawg said:

Lets gooooo I've been so excited for this rework, I've wanted a Webber rework for so long and I'm so happy he is getting one now! That's probably my webber main speaking though

heart.gif

Dat open mouth face looks out of place now. I wish they reworked his face also, to be more default, with closed mouth.

13 minutes ago, Tim S. said:

Well,

Spider Warrior/Dangling Depth Dweller: Melee DPS
Cave Spider: Melee Tank
Spitter: Marksman/Single target DPS
Shattered Spider: AOE Mage
Nurse Spider: (likely) Healing/Support
Spider: Cute lil' pet

Normal spiders have the highest DPS among the melee spiders, though, because they attack the fastest. Shattered Spiders' ranged attacks are incredibly inaccurate and incredibly weak (10 damage), Spider Warriors (and Dangling Depth Dweller) have the highest HP of all spiders and attack only slightly slower than normal spiders (at best), while Cave Spiders have almost half as much health as Warriors. So it's all kinda muddy.

I think it'd be really neat if Cave Spiders had some mechanic that made them more likely to be targeted, so they could use their shell to tank for their unarmored brethren?

4 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

Wurts followers are the cheapest and even with webbers update, likely the strongest too, she is also the only character with access to elite followers that wont be startled by boss screams

While I get what your probaly thinking webber's followers are cheaper than wurt's due to the ease of stockpiling monster meat, while it's quicker to mass produce merm huts it's easier to carry around the materials to make dens on the spot so it depends on your perspective on that one. The not running on boss scream only applies to bee queen as far as I know. And while merms are the strongest character based follower they aren't the strongest damage wise but all that aside merms are good followers I just wish they got their fixes and some of the quality of life webber is getting.(deaggro ability and ability to call merms out.)

As an "almost not playing at all" Webber player, all I can say is nice for KLei to have listened to community feedback on their very-own dark-fantasy gothic "SpiderMan" rework (well, not so dark anymore, but that's another ..general.. thing).

What am curious about now is: how fun will it be to bundle Spider Warriors equipped with Thulecite Crowns and leave said bundles, on pubs, at spawn under a sign "Take and open only in emergency cases, like low health and/or low sanity. Best of wishes!" :anonymous:

Joke aside (maybe), Webber seems to get a pretty fun "arsenal" of abilities and builds.

11 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

While I get what your probaly thinking webber's followers are cheaper than wurt's due to the ease of stockpiling monster meat, while it's quicker to mass produce merm huts it's easier to carry around the materials to make dens on the spot so it depends on your perspective on that one. The not running on boss scream only applies to bee queen as far as I know. And while merms are the strongest character based follower they aren't the strongest damage wise but all that aside merms are good followers I just wish they got their fixes and some of the quality of life webber is getting.(deaggro ability and ability to call merms out.)

Wurt only needs a fruit or veggie for merms, houses are easier to mass produce, and while webber could carry dens with him, wurt could very cheaply keep multiple merms permanently bodyguarding her and helping her do tasks. She also gets beardlord and rock lobsters, the only two followers that beat out loyal merm guards in damage (and honestly rock lobsters are op and usable by everyone, so i dont count them), beardlords barely beats merm guard at 10 damage more, while having a whopping third of his health.

also wurt and webber will unfortunately always be compared, wurt definitely has way stronger mass producable soldiers, but i’m hoping with this update, webbers utility troops will make him shine more as an interesting option

9 hours ago, rainman895 said:

Jeez, Webber is a 8 year old boy. What do you want him to do? 

His age doesn't have to do with anything, his apperance yes but not age.

Look at Wurt, she's young and people consider her cute, just like Webber. For her idle Klei could have made her pull out a pet fish out of nowhere and, like, smooch it or smile while looking at it. But they didn't, they made her scratch the top of her head instead. And that's a good thing, it's simple, unique and fits her character.

When it comes to idle animations Klei has to think of something special that will fit the character. And we sometimes end up with weird ones like Warly taking a whiff or Wigfrid bowing.

But when it comes to Webber, he has 4 legs sticking from the back of his head. It's like he was made for idle animations. It could have been something simple and unique like moving those legs in a disorganized manner with a slight facial reaction. And yet Klei looked at that potential and decided that it's not enough, that it must be cute and expressive. After all it's Webber, the fan-favourite.

I suppose I'm also mad that it's unnecessarily cute, but ds/t burtonesque and dark aesthetic dying is a topic for a different thread.

27 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Wurt only needs a fruit or veggie for merms, houses are easier to mass produce, and while webber could carry dens with him, wurt could very cheaply keep multiple merms permanently bodyguarding her and helping her do tasks. She also gets beardlord and rock lobsters, the only two followers that beat out loyal merm guards in damage (and honestly rock lobsters are op and usable by everyone, so i dont count them), beardlords barely beats merm guard at 10 damage more, while having a whopping third of his health.

also wurt and webber will unfortunately always be compared, wurt definitely has way stronger mass producable soldiers, but i’m hoping with this update, webbers utility troops will make him shine more as an interesting option

When I was talking about spiders being cheaper i meant that monster meat is faster and more efficient to stockpile over vegetables and seeds neither are hard to get but I'm sure anyone would agree it's takes alot less effort to start a spider war. While wurt's followers do work day and night the disadvantages that keep you from keeping them without a stop watch or mod is the fact merms don't show when their loyalty is expiring which normally wouldn't be a big issue but they run faster than you so rehiring them is next to impossible for the average player who doesn't over feed them. Also when I was talking about damage i was including the attack speed of bunnymen which far outstrips merms my point wasn't in what is avabile but how limited her control is over her followers in comparsion to wendy and soon to be webber. While webber won't be able to keep his fighters as active at all times the fact he can carry a fighting force in his inventory is arguably much better even if their damage is lower outside of  boss situations and the ability to heal them in mass is the icing on the cake. As for building huts the biggest factor in slowing down the process is generally the fact fish don't stack where as for webber the biggest factor is reeds once you get a good den setup you will outpace wurt in building homes if you really want to you just usually never need that many spiders. I'm not saying spiders are better overall just that they'll be better designed and more convenient in basic activities than merms overall due to have a huge amount of qol. Merms aren't bad but if you put aside stat lines they have alot inconveniences despite being a character perk.

26 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

When I was talking about spiders being cheaper i meant that monster meat is faster and more efficient to stockpile over vegetables and seeds neither are hard to get but I'm sure anyone would agree it's takes alot less effort to start a spider war. While wurt's followers do work day and night the disadvantages that keep you from keeping them without a stop watch or mod is the fact merms don't show when their loyalty is expiring which normally wouldn't be a big issue but they run faster than you so rehiring them is next to impossible for the average player who doesn't over feed them. Also when I was talking about damage i was including the attack speed of bunnymen which far outstrips merms my point wasn't in what is avabile but how limited her control is over her followers in comparsion to wendy and soon to be webber. While webber won't be able to keep his fighters as active at all times the fact he can carry a fighting force in his inventory is arguably much better even if their damage is lower outside of  boss situations and the ability to heal them in mass is the icing on the cake. As for building huts the biggest factor in slowing down the process is generally the fact fish don't stack where as for webber the biggest factor is reeds once you get a good den setup you will outpace wurt in building homes if you really want to you just usually never need that many spiders. I'm not saying spiders are better overall just that they'll be better designed and more convenient in basic activities than merms overall due to have a huge amount of qol. Merms aren't bad but if you put aside stat lines they have alot inconveniences despite being a character perk.

you can use honey to hire merms which with few beeboxes you will get many stacks for free. Stone fruit is another good source of befriending merms

the only qol that wurt's merms need is merms being able to return home and some pathfinding shenanigans while working

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

the only qol that wurt's merms need is merms being able to return home and some pathfinding shenanigans while working

And also for different fish of different weights to have different loot when given to Merm king! It's very disappointing how the rarest ocean fish will give the same loot as a regular pond fish...

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

And also for different fish of different weights to have different loot when given to Merm king! It's very disappointing how the rarest ocean fish will give the same loot as a regular pond fish...

right, i almost forget that the king gives stuff since i spend like +2k days without trading with him...

we have many fishes but only one mediocre loot table

29 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you can use honey to hire merms which with few beeboxes you will get many stacks for free. Stone fruit is another good source of befriending merms

So you don't think knowing when loyalty will expire is even alittle bit needed?

39 minutes ago, minespatch said:

The thing I'm most curious is the mutation web alchemy doodles the op mentioned. Seems like some interesting chemistry?

Some kind of play on Snicker Doodles. I am interested to see how it's crafted and fits into the lore

Archived