Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2021

It all looks great, it really does. But what I was really hoping for was return of The Forge and (especially) The Gorge. I belive there's more people like me. Playing The Gorge was the best time I had in DST. Did you guys consider return of these events? Any chance of that in future?

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Two QOL updates

Nice!

Looks at the screenshot and squints.

Griefer Spawn Protection?

It's probably going to be more exploitable than helpful. I've played around with just about every anti-grief mod there is just to understand the trends, and how they can be exploited.

The basic idea for exploiting an anti-griefing system is thinking, "If I can't do X, odds are, no-one else can either." You can't break a wall? Spam walls, no-one would be able to break them either. Chests can only be opened by "trusted people" or the person who made it? Well I can still put things INTO a Chest that I can't open, so others can't get it either. Can't burn Trees when you're freezing to death because a structure is too close? Spam cheap structures around the map to prevent others from normally vanilla features (burning Trees for warmth.) Walls regenerate HP when hit to prevent being broken? That most likely means ALL placed walls will fully upgrade for no real reason. There will always be a loophole to exploit.

Of course, there are also balance questions that need to be kept in mind when designing such a system. The amount of anti-grief mods I've seen that even prevent (Summer) Smoldering and Lightning Strikes near structures is astounding. There are a good number of anti-grief mods that prevent vanilla features from "griefing" the player, and it's laughable every time. "Why can't Bearger break these Trees?" "A player placed a Sign in the area." Giants have always been exploited for manually labor, and with the rise of multiplayer... For grief as well. It's a catch-22. Do you prevent grief, or neuter a vanilla feature, dramatically changing how the game is balanced?

As you can probably tell, the only thing that most of these anti-grief mods do, is restrict the natural rights of the player. Stripping down their ability to do things benign or otherwise. The only way to make DST fully "grief proof" is by removing any and all rights of the player. Turning the entire thing into a skinner box. "Press button for food." That (and logging off) would be the only rights the player has, all in the name of preventing grief. Of course, that is a worst case scenario, but it's worth keeping in mind, when you recall how I mentioned almost any "anti-grief" system also be used TO grief.

Also I'm just going to leave this here. I obviously am NOT advocating grief, I am telling Klei to be cautious in their approach as it may be more damaging then simply doing nothing. Okay, now I guess it's time for me to plug my personal philosophy, it's real complicated so here we go: I don't like my permissions as a player, being arbitrarily restricted. That's it, that's the whole concept, and I don't want to "spoil the broth" by diving deeper, but here we go. I've latched onto THIS VIDEO for years, ever since it came out, because it explains my stance perfectly. Simply put, in a sport, you don't do certain things because you've agreed not to, but in a video game, you don't do certain things because it's impossible to do so. (Can't touch a soccer ball with your hands in a game because there's no option.) But the thing about systems is there's what the system was meant to do VS what the system can't stop you from doing. Hopefully, my previous bold statement makes a little more sense, with context now. I will not advocate or support griefing, but I don't like being "punished for the sins of others" if you catch my drift.

So Klei, if you're going to commit to this "anti-grief spawn" idea, put it on a testing branch. Let us show you just how exploitable it is. Don't just casually drop it into the main branch.

1 hour ago, HEAVYDIRTYSOUL said:

YYYYES

edit: really excited for the new RoT update, this teaser pic surely has something to do with mysterious energy! "Summer Solstice" sounds really fun too!

and the new dlc character seems reallllyyyy interesting too...75a6d24bad4b21a01201d812d352044fac2d9ca7.png.3a07f6f42fcb7a24c71d035224f5abc4.png?

2 hours ago, HEAVYDIRTYSOUL said:

YYYYES

edit: really excited for the new RoT update, this teaser pic surely has something to do with mysterious energy! "Summer Solstice" sounds really fun too!

and the new dlc character seems reallllyyyy interesting too...75a6d24bad4b21a01201d812d352044fac2d9ca7.png.3a07f6f42fcb7a24c71d035224f5abc4.png?

Hello!
Where is that print from?

Oh HECK YEAH I am excited!!! Klei did wonderfully last year, and I'm glad they prioritized the safety of the team and got everyone working from home as soon as it was possible. I do miss the livestream days on Twitch but it's understandable that can't be done with the current setup. 

And I'm very intrigued by the illustration in the announcement. What is Wilson looking at off-frame? Will we get more "Return of Them" lore with the character refreshes and QoL updates??? AAAH I CAN'T WAIT!

thank you for being amazing <3

3 hours ago, HEAVYDIRTYSOUL said:

Hah, not a chance. All the DLC characters have been non-human as of now and a character who could have easily been a DLC character ended up being a free character for the express reason of being human (Walter). There might be many reasons for this pattern and one major one seems to be how DLC characters often don't get many lore-relevant roles whereas characters that are added for everyone like Winona and Warly often get to star in many shorts. That's another reason I don't see Klei releasing a character that oozes with Don't Starve lore as a downloadable character. he has a likelihood of becoming a free character for everyone in some future though.

Monke.png.e9b4f7199a089dbea2e8f70b7dc4a356.pngIgnoring the non-human pattern, my pick for the DLC character would be Warbucks but if they are really brining a familiar face back (And that's a big if, the new character might be a completely original one like Wurt or some NPC like Billy) That really leaves us with three choices, Wilba, Wilbur and Wilton. 

Thus, ladies and gentlemen, allow me to tease you to the actual most likely candidate to be the next DLC character in the year of 2021. I know you might be shivering with anticipation or fear but you better prepare your 'nanas.

1 hour ago, KCDA said:

Griefer Spawn Protection?

So Klei, if you're going to commit to this "anti-grief spawn" idea, put it on a testing branch. Let us show you just how exploitable it is. Don't just casually drop it into the main branch.

At least they are FINALLY, after 6 YEARS, doing something about the griefing aspect. Ok for a Beta test, but for Spawn Griefing the issue is pretty straightforward: either is Tentacles, 4 Fossils, Spider Eggs, and Walls - plus a combination of them all. Walls are already "punchable" thus to next. For placed fossils make it so they can be "punchable" as well, let's say 3-5 punches to dislocate (such that 1 Hammer hit still remains main method of handling placed fossils into making Skeletons). You remain with Tentacles and Spoder-man Eggs. A simple, trololol method that also trolls the griefer would be Charlie/Grue Hands appearing and sucking in ground the spawned Tenta/Nests on let's say 5/7/10-tiles-radius around gate; because there isn't any legitimate reason to have those elements that close to Florid Postern. Likewise for Lureplants. Or such placed elements just despawn/fade. Or player can't place them to begin with. Sure you can say trolls will make a bigger circle of spawned elements. And I'll wish you a sincere "Good Luck!" into surrounding 10-20 tiles diameter area around gate with Spoderman-Eggs, Fossils (mine all the Cave Stalagmites and still won't have enough), Tentacles (how many books will that be) or Lureplants (mmm, how many in-game years you will require to collect?) - you will surely need said luck! By far vast majority of griefers aren't THAT dedicated. If they can't place their inventory Spoderman Egg in gate, will not care anymore. If they read 1-2 times and tentacles in gate disappear, they swear at heavens and leave. Etc. Etc.

But yes, Beta test go.

5 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Hah, not a chance. All the DLC characters have been non-human as of now and a character who could have easily been a DLC character ended up being a free character for the express reason of being human (Walter). There might be many reasons for this pattern and one major one seems to be how DLC characters often don't get many lore-relevant roles whereas characters that are added for everyone like Winona and Warly often get to star in many shorts. That's another reason I don't see Klei releasing a character that oozes with Don't Starve lore as a downloadable character. he has a likelihood of becoming a free character for everyone in some future though.

Monke.png.e9b4f7199a089dbea2e8f70b7dc4a356.pngIgnoring the non-human pattern, my pick for the DLC character would be Warbucks but if they are really brining a familiar face back (And that's a big if, the new character might be a completely original one like Wurt or some NPC like Billy) That really leaves us with three choices, Wilba, Wilbur and Wilton. 

Thus, ladies and gentlemen, allow me to tease you to the actual most likely candidate to be the next DLC character in the year of 2021. I know you might be shivering with anticipation or fear but you better prepare your 'nanas.

Dude i just couldnt agree more

Monke.png.e9b4f7199a089dbea2e8f70b7dc4a356.png

1 hour ago, Picklesaurus said:

Hello!
Where is that print from?

it's from the Don't Starve Hamlet roadmap or something. Pint is, it's from a Hamlet update poster, where they teased the coming release of hamlet, and of course the 2 new characters that followed the release, that being Wheeler and of course Robert

I just really wish that we will get an answer for sealed portal and mysterious energy. I think this is the time to put an end to the Dont Starve story and let us to interact somehow with Charlie (fight her/save her etc...) and maybe a way to escape from the Constant. I really hyped to see that, i hope its coming :)

Archived