Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2021

Quality of life suggestion: It would be nice if we were able to hide heirloom items (or their weaved version). It would make the invo cleaner (especially for collectors) and the shop a little less chaotic. You mentioned you were gonna do something like this in the past..

12 hours ago, phoenixtoma99 said:

I just really wish that we will get an answer for sealed portal and mysterious energy. I think this is the time to put an end to the Dont Starve story and let us to interact somehow with Charlie (fight her/save her etc...) and maybe a way to escape from the Constant. I really hyped to see that, i hope its coming :)

Yikes... no way. Keep the game going forever. Everyone wants to keep playing it not end it. 

13 hours ago, bubben16 said:

spittinfacts.png.40d29b92258187391b1880fb3c993eae.png

Nah, nobody is forcing you to do any of this new stuff or use any of these new items. If you don’t like them don’t use them. They giving us updates often because that’s what a vast majority of the community wants, stuff to do and more reasons to keep playing. And yeah, big surprise, events are “temporary”. And they’re obviously trying harder to make the new year event more relevant, and give it more content. Just look at this year’s. And if you’re talking about any of the RoT stuff not be useful with those statements then that’s just your fault for not understanding those updates are ongoing and things aren’t finished yet. 

18 hours ago, JoeW said:

now is a good idea to make sure we know about it.

Non-gameplay:

• The introduction of unlimited save slots was nice, but now it's unclear which save is which number in the save directory. Then again, that's only an issue because...
  • ... dedicated servers are not manageable from the client. Would love to have a "manage" screen within the menu. configure mods, change world settings, adminlist/bans etc. without having to either shift files from a player-hosted game folder, and/or enter the game, mess with console commands, etc.
  • IPv6. v4 is a dead end. Especially in the "emerging markets". *cough* Tencent *cough*
  • Tall screens are back! Don't punish players on 16:10 or 3:2 by just clipping the viewing angle - at least let me see further into distance.

Gameplay:

• Re-do friendly clockworks so they are more useful.
  • Wouldn't mind a canonical way to halt/suspend the monster meat spam (hounds, worms) in long-running worlds. I see your "seafaring" response, and am curious to see how viable sea-basing turns out.
  • Combat targeting. At no point do I want to prioritise a slurtle mound over a depth worm chomping my butt. Almost the same applies to lureplant. Trying to utilise spiders as Webber is just painful without mods fixing this.
  • Night hands coming in from where I can't chase them away (in caves)
  • Regrowth putting stuff too close to collision-enabled entities.
  • Animals used to be able to consume salt licks from beyond enclosure walls, has that been fixed?
  • And speaking of salt licks, unloaded beefalo will only consume one, then go feral even when there are more salt licks in the area.

5 hours ago, Danyelle said:

What do you mean? That’s exactly 12. But either way we’re already in February so you’re still right. 

The Holiday updates come out alongside other ones, like with Hallowed Nights coming out with Forgotten Knowledge, and Winter's Feast coming out with RWYS. So it is actually 11. Well, except if the Summer Solstice also comes out with something else, but since this'll be it's first time, I assume it's gonna have new stuff in it, which leads me to believe it'll come out on it's own

6 hours ago, batkin said:

It looks a bit like some sort of portal? ..kinda? xD

Screenshot_2.png

unknown.png

That was something I thought possible too! Like, instead of Maxwell's portal, it could be Charlie's portal. But then I figured, well... it does look more lunar as people have pointed out.

Plus, any portals that lead to Charlie would likely have a bunch of thorns and/or roses or something.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

None of these are related to console ports of Don't Starve, though, which is what the part of the post you're quoting is in reference to.

Oops, my bad... Still conditioned to think "ports" = Mac and Linux, ie. my platforms.

33 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i hope it doesnt mean only console ports because the pc version has A LOT of bugs that breaks the experience

Which bugs, exactly? People always complains about DS bugs without actually saying what the bugs are, as if everyone already knows.

21 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Which bugs, exactly? People always complains about DS bugs without actually saying what the bugs are, as if everyone already knows.

shadows being stuck in the sea because they can spawn there after hit, volcano not working, reviving with a meat effigie inside of a house bring you to a black screen, wheeler items shenanigans, pig guards getting stuck in hamlets lake and ruins rooms, wild chesters filling hamlets world and a huge etc

people complain because there is bugs i dont know if them are known or not but the ones i meantioned are a little portion that i remember because now i dont play single player, you can navigate the bug tracker of each dlc if you want to know more. People dont mention them because the place to do it is the bug tracker not repeting the same bugs arround every post that single player is mentioned

27 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Off the top of my head:

• day count desync on crash/force-quit
  • beefalo attack being "hidden" - attacking while having a weapon equipped uses the weapon for damage and durability
  • putting down fences/gates/wall has your character often ending up on the the wrong side of the enclosure
  • single hound appearing whenever you exit caves
  • sea/sky-worthy being placable in both caves and ruins, breaking the day count when the player returns
  • visibility in lights-out mode depends on if you load the game (or enter world) on full moon; doesn't change as the actual day comes and goes
  • nightmare creatures dropping fuel on despawn, not just death

More: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1930385845

19 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

-snip-

18 minutes ago, myxal said:

-snip-

How many of these break the experience, though? The volcano not working can suck if you want the challenge, but the rest either don't really matter or you have to go out of your way to encounter. Most of these aren't experience breaking bugs, they're minor annoyances.

11 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

How many of these break the experience, though? The volcano not working can suck if you want the challenge, but the rest either don't really matter or you have to go out of your way to encounter. Most of these aren't experience breaking bugs, they're minor annoyances.

what? so every time that i fight a shadow doesnt break the experience seeing it trying to walk to me from the edge of the sea? or needing to buy cocogranades to kill a bunch of pig guards stuck in a lake? or needing to use console comands (hello ps4 and xbox players) to rescue myself from the void after reviving? or having a shadow hand stuck making annoying sounds because them dont work properly in sw and hamlet? day desinc is so annoying aswell as the volcano one (i like to play the game as intended, not abusing of bugs and cheese to win)

i can admit that the chester one is kinda funny but is weird and makes me not trust chest when i jump into RoG

if it was just 1 i could ignore them but they happend usually (the shadows happen 99% of the time) and are too many. I honestly have fear of playing single player because i fear to put effort into a world that might get bugged

also i have paid for a product, a cheap product, but i didnt choose the price, and i expect to be able to play it without frustrating bugs

26 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Klei is the only company on the planet that I’ve seen still doing bug fixes for a game that came out in 2013..

The new stuff (such as Hamlet releasing just last year for console players) that should be fixed, but I don’t think they should make fixing a single player, less profitable, outdated version of Dont starve a priority over adding more exciting content to the much more profitable, much more advanced 2017 multiplayer sequel.

Maybe Thats me being biased and selfish and just wanting more DST content and to let the 2013 single player game die out.

But... when I look at things and compare it to things like Grand Theft Auto V (which also released in 2013 if I’m not mistaken) they don’t FIX every version of GTA V...

They let the 360/ps3 versions go to hell with lack of content updates, they let mods take over the old consoles without so much as trying to remove them.

In Rockstars eyes Last Gen GTA V is exactly that: Done, Over, Finished, Completed, LAST GEN.. and they will no doubt repeat that same process when GTA V Rereleases a little later this year on PS5/XBS X

My point: They focused on what was most profitable & where they can invest most their resources: rather than focusing on trying to keep the last Gen versions of the game relevant.

I look at DS & DST in almost the same way: It is painful to try and go back to playing the solo game: Without the character reworks, without the QoL updates, without skins & community requested features..

I literally only go back to solo DS to play in worlds & biomes or with characters that DST does not have.

But playing Pre-Rework Wendy or Pre-Rework Willow is just not.. how do I put this- “As Fun.”

13 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

How many of these break the experience, though?

We're talking about a game by Klei, right? Not an operating system by Microsoft, game console by Sony, online service by Google, or a phone from Apple - no point in denying the product's shortcomings. :P

My theory on the "portal" is that it'll teleport us to the moon itself. As another shard? Maybe not, they could simply create a mass of land outside of the map to teleport to, so one wouldn't have to load an entire new shard. 

New lunar biomes, resources, and perhaps more endgame content on the moon? :eek-new:

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

game that came out in 2013..

Careful with those dates.

DS (base): 2013

DS RoG: 2014

DS SW, DST: 2016

DS Hamlet: 2019

Don't Stave base game is gone. You can play "DS" with modern version of Don't starve, but it's just the RoG/Shipwrecked/Hamlet engine trying its best to impersonate the original. (Hello, palm trees in adventure mode, and moleworms!).  Expecting updates for a 2019 release is hardly unreasonable.

This is getting well off track, into the weeds of planning software development - in the end, I trust Klei to choose what's best for their development team and their long-term strategy. But who knows what that ends up being? As a player of both, I'd love if the games' engines were, if not the same, at least benefitting from each other's development. TBH, I wouldn't mind too much if my DSA purchases were turned into DST "solo-mode DLCs" if DST got the creature comforts of single-player - pausing.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, HEAVYDIRTYSOUL said:

YYYYES

edit: really excited for the new RoT update, this teaser pic surely has something to do with mysterious energy! "Summer Solstice" sounds really fun too!

and the new dlc character seems reallllyyyy interesting too...75a6d24bad4b21a01201d812d352044fac2d9ca7.png.3a07f6f42fcb7a24c71d035224f5abc4.png?

wagstaff huh

2 hours ago, Lumberlocke said:

My theory on the "portal" is that it'll teleport us to the moon itself. As another shard? Maybe not, they could simply create a mass of land outside of the map to teleport to, so one wouldn't have to load an entire new shard. 

New lunar biomes, resources, and perhaps more endgame content on the moon? :eek-new:

Sounds ambitiously.

But if the 'portal' was just a complex wormhole players would simply utilize Lazy Deserters. Unless Klei'd prevent that.

Archived