[Game Update] - 427361

• Developer

Changes:

• Fixed the cookbook ingredient’s tooltip string for the ocean fish and Wobster.
  • Fixed Toma Root and Onion ingredient images in the Cookbook.
  • Adjusted the Batilisk Wing drop rate from Batilisks.
  • Fixed a crash when the Sea Weed’s projectile hits a mounted player.
  • Fixed a crash affecting a number of mods relating to displaying inventory images.
  • Fixed the mods update count from not refreshing properly.
  • Fixed a crash when loading mods using an older dependency system.
  • Favorites are now properly saved when applying mods.
  • Fixed the arrow indicator in the integrated backpack layout. 
  • Fixed shift + left click not moving items properly between inventories with the integrated backpack layout.
  • Items can now be properly dropped from your inventory while holding another item.
  • Fixed inconsistencies with wall textures.
  • Fixed the texture issues with the new Sorcerer's Staff.
  • Increased resolution of staff items when not equipped.
  • Fixed Sorcerer's Staff Profile Icon collection info.
  • Increased resolution of the Pan Flute.

View full update

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12
  • Health 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 4
  • GL Happy 2
  • Potato Cup 1

Just now, Owlrus said:

May I ask what the drop rate is currently? I'm not very tech-savy to find out for myself like I wish I was.

SetSharedLootTable( 'bat',
{
    {'batwing',    0.25},
    {'guano',      0.15},
    {'monstermeat',0.10},
})

Bats now have a 25% chance to drop bat wings.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Shopcat 2
  • Sad Dupe 2

9 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Isn't that too much of a nerf? 50% would have been okay :/

Not enouch, later too much, again not enough... When they fix to 50% again people will be saying is too much, and again next fix to 30% will be not enouch XD

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

52 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Personally, I think it's fine since a lot of bats spawn from sinkholes.

Its just 6 bats per night per sinkhole. And judging from the tests I just did on 3 sinkholes it gives you 1 wing per sinkhole, or maybe 2 if you are lucky. The limitant on the batbat should be the gems and the living logs, not the wings, IMHO.

Now you have to set up a farm, turning it into an expensive RNG related time consuming weapon again. I won't deny I'm dissapointed, and unless I find a reliable way to farm the wings without having to spend days into it, I'll probably stay away of batbats once more...

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 12
  • Sad Dupe 2

As much as I critique various suggestions for making DST harder in general from day 1 (am ok with progression or, even better - a 1 macro-event triggered by player akin AFW's first take-down and ruins regen that increments general difficulty), I also am against making DST easier. Bats, from my understanding, are meant to be pests and a threat, not food source. Game needs numerous threats, dangers as per its Survival facet. And bats fit that role nicely. More so, are a source for some rare-ish item that just got amped up recipe-wise (Bat Bat). Thus Bat Wing drop rate is ok at its initial value as to maintain Bats' role as slightly dangerous pests and to confer usefulness to Guano biome. This update brought a good revision in my book.

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
*some corrections*
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

As much as I critique various suggestions for making DST harder in general from day 1 (am ok with progression or, even better - a 1 macro-event triggered by player akin AFW's first take-down and ruins regen that increments general difficulty), I also am against making DST easier. Bats, from my understanding, are meant to be pests and a threat, not food source. Game needs numerous threats, dangers as per its Survival facet. And bats fit that role nicely. More so are a source for some rare item that just got amped up recipe-wise (Telelocator). Thus Bat Wing drop rate is ok at its initial value as to maintain Bats' role as slightly dangerous pests and to confer usefulness to Guano biome. This update brought a good revision in my book.

The problem with the bat wings drop rate is that they are both an ingredient for crafting an already expensive healing device AND food, and so the balance around both things kinda clashes.

No doubt 75% was too much, that we all agree upon as it could quickly flood a fridge of bat wings and be used as a main food source with absolutely no effort, but the batbat already has 2 expensive materials (gems and living logs) as part of their crafting cost. Adding another highly RNG related item to its crafting materials could make people stay away from it entirely, once more. I think the limitant to craft this item should be the gems and the living logs.

Now the problem happens when you increase the drop, thinking about the batbat, and then everyone starts feasting on the fountain of meat, or lower the drop to keep the wings away from a reliable food source, but you also make the batbat a niche and rarely seen in use weapon once more. It is indeed something difficult to balance.

I insist that the drop as it stands seems a bit on the "too low" side, I don't know exactly how much would have been okay to keep it with a reasonable drop without letting people eat just bats, but 25% does not seem to be the balance point.

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

This is a dumb idea but I figure I may throw it out there anyways. If people think the purple gem is part of what makes it costly, why not replace it with mosquito sacks instead? Aesthetically it makes sense (two bloodsuckers to make another bloodsucker), and they aren't too difficult to come by either. Again, I'm not sure about the integrity of this idea so take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 17

48 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

This is a dumb idea but I figure I may throw it out there anyways. If people think the purple gem is part of what makes it costly, why not replace it with mosquito sacks instead? Aesthetically it makes sense (two bloodsuckers to make another bloodsucker), and they aren't too difficult to come by either. Again, I'm not sure about the integrity of this idea so take it with a grain of salt.

This is such a stupid and brilliant idea. I love it.

I hear all the arguments on drop rate relating to the viability of crafting batbats. But so far I haven't seen people bringing their suggestions to the number of wings needed to craft the weapon. The recent update changed from 5 to 3 wings needed to craft them. If your argument is that Living Logs and Gems should be the limiting factor (and I feel that), we can talk about the recipe needing only 2 or 1 wing(s).

The points to take into consideration are:

* Bat wings are a pretty good food item, and now that they can be thrown into crockpots (plus the recent artwork displaying it in Warly's hands...) we can expect a new recipe with them. That's really cool!

* The mobs that drop them (batilisks) seem to have been designed to be pestering more than challenging. They are easy to kill, don't do much damage, but also they can't be easily hit when they're flying around our heads, and do it during the night. They lightly punish us from basing next to sinkholes, and eat items on drying racks (!)

* There are lots of sinkholes in DST, and from what I see, people who like making lots of use of the caves like basing relatively close to one. Many bats spawn each night from one, so it's not a mob that's hard to find.

* They take 6 days to rot, which is pretty quick.

I'm fine with 25%, and would be fine with 50% too (especially If we get a nice crockpot recipe with wings). I have wished before that more weapons were more accessible, and I'm liking the arguments and discussion. I wonder how you all would feel about it if batbat only required 2 wings, though.

Edited by sinisterrkid
  • Like 5

I just personally feel like a higher droprate would encourage interacting with them more as realistically no matter how pesky they're intended to be as long as you use common sense they'll never bother you when you don't want them to and with a low droprate they're going to go back to being largely avoided and ignored yes 75 percent was far to rewarding but 25 perfect is hard to justify the time and effort even more so to lower skill level players.

• Thanks 2
  • Health 2

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

As much as I critique various suggestions for making DST harder in general from day 1 (am ok with progression or, even better - a 1 macro-event triggered by player akin AFW's first take-down and ruins regen that increments general difficulty), I also am against making DST easier. Bats, from my understanding, are meant to be pests and a threat, not food source. Game needs numerous threats, dangers as per its Survival facet. And bats fit that role nicely. More so, are a source for some rare item that just got amped up recipe-wise (Telelocator). Thus Bat Wing drop rate is ok at its initial value as to maintain Bats' role as slightly dangerous pests and to confer usefulness to Guano biome. This update brought a good revision in my book.

Then they should decrease the living log cost to 1 living log then. Make the Bats have lower drop chance sure, but the process one has to go to in order to farm the materials for a Bat Bat for what little benefit it gives is a bit unfair imo. 

• Like 2