Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

14 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

About the Re-Gorge-itated mod, is the scene of Wurt turning into a pig when the match is lost custom made or is it what was also shown in the original event?

wurt wasnt even around in the gorge

• Like 3

Questions on armor in DST https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Armor

Armor Stacking in DST

I never even tried to stack armor in DST (nor in DS) as I assumed it just doesn't work (playing almost exclusively solo or with friends). But from videos I saw people using double armor (head and chest) against certain bosses. For example when soloing BQ (marble+football helmet or beekeeper hat) and Dragonfly (marble + football helmet).

In the wiki it says that the higher absorption rate is always taken when making the mitigation calculation. This can be used to save durability (and inventory slots) on an expensive item like marble suits, thulecite armors and night armor etc. by wearing a cheap armor alongside it since durability is spread out.

Now I remember when looking at a video that someone claimed that this isn't 100% consistent and it sometimes matters which armor is equipped first. Is this true? The information in the wiki is also not 100% consistent: In the DS section it talks about equip order and in the DST section it doesn't. What is the story here?

How consistent is the armor stacking strategy in DST to reduce durability cost?

Chest Armor

The chest slot is highly competitive in DS/T, with the Backpack often being a optimal choice and there being other, very powerful options for it such as the Magi, strict upgrades from the Backpack (Krampus Sack, Insulated Pack) or alternative (to Eyebrella) hazard protection such as the Floral Shirt and Raincoat.

The most overshadowed armor piece would then be Log Suit, which occupies the more expensive chest slot, while also not giving any benefit over using a football helmet in most cases. The materials are also arguably more expensive for the majority of the cast. An argument could be made for specific situations like spelunking with Moggles or fighting Antlion with Desert Goggles.

Similarly the Thulecite Suit is overshadowed by the Thulecite Crown, which provides a very strong stunlock protection mechanic on top of being a head piece.

It seems to me that the most used/discussed chest armor is the Marble Suit, giving high protection, being made of renewable materials and having decent durability. Other chest armor pieces seem to be mostly unused either because they are costly or there being better alternatives.

What does the community think of chest armor in DST? Am I right with the assumption that it is often hard to justify over the alternatives?

Possibly Underrated Armor Items

There are several armor pieces that don't get much attention in discussions, videos and so on, but have interesting perks:

The Night Armor is in a sense cheaper than the Marble Suit but has a completely different downside with the sanity drain. It seems to me that specific characters like Maxwell benefit from this much more, even as a general purpose option over football helmets.

Snurtle shell armor has an interesting upside, a strict upgrade to the Bush Hat. I haven't seen this being discussed or used often, but it might provide some interesting tactics. I assume that these are just too time consuming to get your hands on (as I've tried before).

Breaking Armor mechanics

In some videos I've seen players swap out low durability armor manually before they break. What is the idea behind this? Does breaking armor not provide the full protection?

On 5/18/2021 at 10:58 AM, CodexCorporis said:

Is there a spawn code for a domesticated ornery beefalo? I spent so much time training for an ornery in my Maxwell world, only to end up with a default. I know it's cheating, but I deserve my ornery beefalo without having to go through that whole ordeal again!

Gotta get this off my chest, nobody needs to apologize for wanting to use console commands. Your game, your money, your freetime, your interest in code insight. Please guys, remind people who try to be Edgy, that there's no rules for singleplayer playing this game.

• Health 4

4 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Gotta get this off my chest, nobody needs to apologize for wanting to use console commands. Your game, your money, your freetime, your interest in code insight. Please guys, remind people who try to be Edgy, that there's no rules for singleplayer playing this game.

who are you even talking to

7 minutes ago, Well-met said:

who are you even talking to

Just generally everyone. I think its sad that people so often think they have to apologize or explain why they want to know console commands. I didn't want to make it sound like I'm accusing anyone of anything, sorry, if it sounded like that.

To not go offtopic to much, have a silly question: How does Wilson keep his hair in shape? Which substance in the Constant could you most likely use as hairgel?

30 minutes ago, clickrush said:

Now I remember when looking at a video that someone claimed that this isn't 100% consistent and it sometimes matters which armor is equipped first. Is this true? The information in the wiki is also not 100% consistent: In the DS section it talks about equip order and in the DST section it doesn't. What is the story here?

I dont know if that is true but i never experienced it by my self. Might be a misunderstanding because in solo DS which armor is equipped first matters

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, clickrush said:

In some videos I've seen players swap out low durability armor manually before they break. What is the idea behind this? Does breaking armor not provide the full protection?

I think this is more to maintain order in inventory and keep hot keys set properly for fast switching. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Falkenpelz said:

To not go offtopic to much, have a silly question: How does Wilson keep his hair in shape? Which substance in the Constant could you most likely use as hairgel?

Snurtle slime. Just don't get too close to fire...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Wavey 1

On 5/19/2021 at 7:54 AM, HellHeater said:

Why does deerclops bearger and moose goose doesnt drop their items blueprints while all other bosses do 

Ancient guardian drops no blueprint on death because he's also from DSA. Only the DST bosses drop blueprints. I assume the reason is a combination of adding more value to killing the boss, keeping the crafting menus slightly less cluttered with things you can't make, and potentially discouraging people who weren't present for the boss' destruction from using the rare items they didn't earn.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

Is the constant flat or round? Shipwrecked definitely seems to suggest it's round but DST seems to suggest it's flat. This has been bugging me since they added the ocean to DST.

could be plain, but there are multiple levels? like shipwrecked is in one, hamlet on another one, and so

(this could explain  why theres a sudden drop in the dst sea)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

Is the constant flat or round? Shipwrecked definitely seems to suggest it's round but DST seems to suggest it's flat. This has been bugging me since they added the ocean to DST.

My personal hypothesis is that dst's "ocean" is a big, salty pond that sits over a plateau  that connects to the main ocean further south which is the SW ocean. This is backed up by the fact that the edge of the ocean isn't an endless void but rather deeper, harsher waters can be seen from the top of the waterfalls. This is also backed up by the fact that (at least up to now) this ocean has no waves  to speak of, and this way both SW, DST and Ham can logically exist together as one world.

Now design wise, I'm no code wizard, but I'd put my money on the assumption that the reason you can't go around the world in dst is because it would be a pain to code the boat along with its mobs,  structures and players to do a lap around the world as opposed to SW where they only warped the player

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JosePapp said:

My personal hypothesis is that dst's "ocean" is a big, salty pond that sits over a plateau  that connects to the main ocean further south which is the SW ocean. This is backed up by the fact that the edge of the ocean isn't an endless void but rather deeper, harsher waters can be seen from the top of the waterfalls. This is also backed up by the fact that (at least up to now) this ocean has no waves  to speak of, and this way both SW, DST and Ham can logically exist together as one world.

Now design wise, I'm no code wizard, but I'd put my money on the assumption that the reason you can't go around the world in dst is because it would be a pain to code the boat along with its mobs,  structures and players to do a lap around the world as opposed to SW where they only warped the player

I highly doubt it would be as hard as people are making it out to be, portal knights comes Very close to pulling it off the way DS/DST needs to.. maybe someday we will get there. But only Klei knows what is and isn’t possible.

even MODDERS can’t have any say In that because only Klei (and maybe Sony/Microsoft) would know what kind of software is/isn’t coming out within the next few years.

A modder can only work with what they have available to them, meanwhile “Most” game companies are working with hardware that has yet to be announced.

Its how in the old days of gaming consoles has great launch titles- those developers already had those machines/technology builds to work with.

With that said I have my own questions about DST I’d like answers for: Does a fully tamed Beefalo still shake her saddle off & refuse to let you ride? If so how do I make the Beefalo happy again so I can ride?

• Like 1

Is Webber merged with the spider or simply in its stomach? If merged then my question stops here, if not then I have a few questions.

1. Is the spider's stomach stretched out for Webber to move around in with the spider's skin?
  2. Why isn't Webber digested by its acid?
  3. How do they eat? Does food go in the spider's mouth and around Webber, or does it go through both of them?
  4. Is he technically dirty since he was (supposedly) clothed prior to being eaten, and unable to shower?
  5. How can he see or talk?
  6. Etc.
  • Haha 1
  • Wavey 1

1 hour ago, Owlrus said:

Is Webber merged with the spider or simply in its stomach?

I think Webber is called "The Indigestible" for a reason...

Speaking of which, since Webber has 175 health, does that mean he is actually as frail as Maxwell since the spider half gives him the extra 100 hp?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Owlrus said:

Is Webber merged with the spider or simply in its stomach? If merged then my question stops here, if not then I have a few questions.

1. Is the spider's stomach stretched out for Webber to move around in with the spider's skin?
  2. Why isn't Webber digested by its acid?
  3. How do they eat? Does food go in the spider's mouth and around Webber, or does it go through both of them?
  4. Is he technically dirty since he was (supposedly) clothed prior to being eaten, and unable to shower?
  5. How can he see or talk?
  6. Etc.

I think the spider tried to swallow him but he's just acid immune and too big and his limbs and lower body parts kind of popped out of the spider. The main spider part just sits on his head, but they fused together and its presence mutated Webber, making him grow spider hair and develop monster meat immunity.

TL;DR: In my theory the spider is kinda a living body suit.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2021 at 12:38 PM, Wardin25 said:

I think wurt could be the first merm born in the constant, she is the only kid merm ever seen and if the merms reproduced in seasons or just normally, thered probably be more young merms

well this could be true if merms lived for a long long long long long long ass time since they were there before maxwell but if not then she is not the first born and we don't see baby pigs but wilba exists but for merms the case for wurt is more likely but still improbable 

• Like 2

Just now, SkyistheGround said:

how old is wormwood, approximately? like is he younger then everyone else, or was he created some age in the middle, or maybe older? i have no idea

its completely unknown, I think the only thing that can be known is that it happened before turn of tides

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

how old is wormwood, approximately? like is he younger then everyone else, or was he created some age in the middle, or maybe older? i have no idea

We don't really know, but I think we can safely assume that he's for sure a child.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hornete said:

We don't really know, but I think we can safely assume that he's for sure a child.

I believe Wormwood's childish mannerisms are from how foreign humanity is to him. He isn't a human and he wasn't taught English growing up, he was grown a plant and went an unknown amount of time before he even saw a human, much less attempted to communicate with them.

12 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

Wormwood's trailer shows the "moon" fully intact so he's older than Return of Them. I'm not aware of anything else that would show how old he is. Maybe he's a few months old, maybe he's hundreds of years old.

5 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

out of curiosity, what makes you say child?

I assume he's referring to Wormwood's poor grammar and ignorance of words, such as calling a halberd a twirly tail (pigman) fight stick (weapon).

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 4