How do you feel about the reaction changes ?

ADM

How do you feel about the reaction changes ?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Was the "Sad" reaction helpful ?

2. 2. Was the "Confused" reaction helpful ?

3. 3. Should we have more reactions ?

• Yep
    • Nah
    • I'd like reaction options on topic creation
    • I'd like unique reactions on different sub-forums
    • Other (explain)
  4. 4. What do you think of the "Community reputation" system ?

• It's good
    • It's bad
    • I really don't care
    • It should have more importance
    • Give me reddit karma

For those that haven't noticed yet, the react_sad.png and react_confused.png reaction have been removed on the entire forums.

This sure isn't important but I'd like that we give a feedback about this change for each reaction and additional questions on that topic...

Was that a good idea ? Should Klei's forums add new reactions to express most of the common expressions and feelings over a post ?

Would you like that they return and last but not least : is this Community reputation thingy interesting to you ?

I think it's a very tricky thing y'know. On one hand there is no way this was an easy decision, meaning that something warranted the removal of those reactions (and if I'll be honest here, I can't totally say I blame them considering the ways I've seen the community act in the past) and personally I can't say I'm surprised as it feels like we've edged closer and closer to this every day. That said, on the other hand I do ask myself "couldn't there have been a more reasonable approach?" and I......really can't come up with an answer to that as of now.

I do think that reputation should be important as a recorded substance of personal growth and measurement (I've certainly deserved my fair share of confused reacts just as everyone else) but also to commemorate those who truly make a difference in the community. There are times, not just on these forums but on others as well, where being "downvoted" is just a part of participation between two parties, and without being downvoted you can be limited on your own growth arguably. Although I will say that this change helps to not diminish newcomer's participation on the basis of history or rank alone, so there's something to be seen there.

Ultimately I respect the moderators' decision if this is permanent (especially due to any circumstances that may have warranted it), but I myself personally respectfully disagree with the decision.

One of the most beautiful sights in the world, is the reflection of the sun shining on broken shards of glass or a mirror- You have to break something that was already beautiful, to make it even more beautiful.

The same can be said about people- EVERYTHING I’ve gone through in life, the good, the bad, the in between all of it molded me into Who I am Today.. if I experienced something I did not like as a child then I vowed on my life that I wouldn’t see myself inflicting those same actions onto others around me.

And if I saw something that I liked and it made me happy, I adapted that into my personality, and I wanted to share those good feelings with the people I care about.

Klei likely just choose to remove the reactions because lots of people used them in ways unintended for. 
I will miss the sad react- 

Wendys heart is tinged with sadness anytime she looks into a mirror and only see’s her twin sisters reflection starring back at her. <—— This deserves a Sad React.

But i never understood why we even needed confused.

I mean... it's nice when we can criticize and give likes/dislikes but I understand why Klei'd want to prevent us from downvoting other people's posts. And that's essentially what 'Confussed" was- a downvote.

'Sad' reaction however was usually used adequately to the posts. So I'd like that one back

I'm guessing the confused reaction was originally intended to translate to something like "I don't understand your point, please clarify," but at this point if there was any actual confusion involved when people used it most of the time, it was more along the lines of "WTF are you even talking about?" or "Why would you think this was a good idea???". And some people weren't confused at all, they'd put a confused react on a post solely to express their disapproval.

The sad reaction wasn't really being misapplied the same way. Generally it was just used either in response to posts about sad stuff or as a way to express disappointment about, like, having a request turned down or a feature you liked getting nerfed.

I use other forums that have an upvote/downvote system and I like it fine there, but if the emoji reacts were meant to all be positive to neutral and intentionally didn't have a negative react, then the community starts using one of the neutral ones near-exclusively as an improvised negative reaction, removing it is an understandable move.

"Community Reputation" isn't entirely new, that's been on the profile page for years, but I'd never tried looking at the "Reputation Activity" panel before so I don't know if being able to see a detailed breakdown of the reacts someone else gave and received is new. I had heard that confused reacts weren't counted towards your reputation number, and that seemed accurate based on the reputation numbers I saw for newbies who had like 3 total posts; I don't know if sad reacts were treated the same way and maybe now I never will.

i feel that there is no longer any actual value in the thank or laugh emotes now that there are not other types of emotives to counter them. a simple heart suffices if the only purpose is a positive acknowledgement/ping for attention

as it stands though i understand the reason for the removal is to make the site seem more positive and member-friendly without putting any work into moderation or upholding consistent standards between users. it is easier to say you have no problems if the community isn't allowed to express problems and while it greatly reduces user interactions with the site and with each other that is a less disagreeable option than having to deal with and resolve the actual issues the community has. other sites have used it in the past to bolster their optics and while it doesn't actually do anything for the members and often encourages nastier members to be more active it does make the sites as a whole seems friendlier and more appealing on a surface level :/

frankly i would rather have the emotes back. there was merit in having options to express community feelings without a long-form written reply. also the reputation thing seems to not actually measure anything other than how much klei wants people to feel good about themselves since i have not seen a single one on this site that wasn't expressing that the user in question was exhibiting exemplary behavior

34 minutes ago, Brubs said:

Any negative reaction being removed is a nice move to me. If you dont agree or dislike a comment just ignore it.

I would say this is an elephant in the room. This is more of an inconvenience than an actual problem, it all started because one user wanted to know the reason for using the "confused" emote. A more negative relationship is when a random user says something really stupid or mean, and the whole forum starts a troll train with comments that don't help at all with the thread. The comments are harmless, but you aren't really helping the situation either. A good example:

Spoiler

ok.png.5f436c0588b8d1e06e178a539124843b.png

Just throwing in new ideas, can't hate on Wes.

6 minutes ago, KeshS said:

I would say this is an elephant in the room. This is more of an inconvenience than an actual problem, it all started because one user wanted to know the reason for using the "confused" emote. A more negative relationship is when a random user says something really stupid or mean, and the whole forum starts a troll train with comments that don't help at all with the thread. The comments are harmless, but you aren't really helping the situation either. A good example:

I agree with you, but sometimes people just want to rant or cry about something. Other times they just want to get some attention. 

Ignoring them covers up both situations in my opinion.

To be frank i'd much rather have those exchanged, or atleast have the confused reaction changed to just a dislike button. Not sure why the crying reaction was completely removed, i guess just because of the thought that it might become a new "confused". Having only "positive" reactions doesn't sound too fair to me, it makes them practically worthless.

The avoidance of a downvote button only exacerbates the problem (imo) as people will find ways to express their disagreement or ill feeling towards a post regardless of the limitatioms presented, whether they be the lack of a downvote or a mod or both.

Community reputation must also not only be positive imo because wilfully ignoring the mishaps of a forumite in favor of presenting only their good side is dodgy (again imo)

Confused react was generally useless. It was just a dislike button most of the time. If people want a dislike button they should ask for that, not confuse reaction. Sad reaction was actually useful. Some things on the forums are actually sad, and our 3 options now - <3/thank u/haha - don't always make sense for those kinds of posts.

I feel like, removing those was not something helpful in any way, like, the sad emoji was a good one, like, not even harmful or rage inducing, the confusion reaction tho, was, more used like a dislike button as I have seen. (I haven't been here that much here, but it seems pretty obvious) And, just, why would you remove that even used like this ? I mean, the first use is... if you feel confused... they should be bring back with more reactions, like a dislike button, and I can't think of any others cauz' I haven't think of that, but you get the idea.

Archived